Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Wonder if the Lakers will make the playoffs this year.  I think they might.  The team does still have Kobe, Pau, and Nash.  But they're also starting Nick Young until Kobe comes back...

I think they are going to be absolutely dreadful.  When Kobe does come back he won't be the same player for a while.  This will be a down year for the Lakers and they will be in the lottery.  You'll never convince anyone the NBA isn't rigged if they get Wiggins.  lol 

Why is the NBA suddenly trying to get rid of hesitation dribbles?  People have been palming the ball when they dribble all the time for nearly 30 years.

People like watching great ball handlers do their thing and get themselves open.  My grandpa was the only one complaining about palming.  His generation is the only one that preferred watching guys slap the ball down the court with wooden, shoulder high dribbles.

Wall has always been called for palming since he came into the league.  I haven't seen another player get called for it as much as he does.  Whatever it is that he's doing must get the refs attention.  

Houston is going to play basketball like something out of a SORM conference fever dream. Everybody on that team does 2 things well and they are coached to only do those two things. Also, you had better bring your jump shot every time you play them. There is going to be no room in the paint against them.

Doesn't a really terrible team beat a really good team right out of the gate every season? I seem to remember the first Post-Lebron Cleveland team beating someone really good the first week. And the Wizards seem to have a traditional annihilation of a contender every November.

It will be interesting to see how often they can get away with playing Howard and Asik at the same time.  That certainly makes for a formidable front line defensively.  When to the Rockets play the Pistons?  I want to watch Howard and Asik battle Monroe and Drummond.  Houston has them beat at the other positions but you just don't see that much talented size on the court these days.  

Why is the NBA suddenly trying to get rid of hesitation dribbles?  People have been palming the ball when they dribble all the time for nearly 30 years.

People like watching great ball handlers do their thing and get themselves open.  My grandpa was the only one complaining about palming.  His generation is the only one that preferred watching guys slap the ball down the court with wooden, shoulder high dribbles.

The refs are more whistle happy with ticky tack violations in October/November.  It's a continuation from the pre-season, they eventually stop calling some things, and then in the playoffs...cease calling them altogether.  It's a weird phenomenon with the NBA, they want the players to stop doing these things, but don't want to seemingly "screw up" the more important games and have fans pissed.

Wall has always been called for palming since he came into the league.  I haven't seen another player get called for it as much as he does.  Whatever it is that he's doing must get the refs attention.  

Iguodala also gets nailed for it.   

It will be interesting to see how often they can get away with playing Howard and Asik at the same time.  That certainly makes for a formidable front line defensively.  When to the Rockets play the Pistons?  I want to watch Howard and Asik battle Monroe and Drummond.  Houston has them beat at the other positions but you just don't see that much talented size on the court these days.  

I hear Asik is not happy and wants the heck out of there.

The similarities in decision making between Derrick Rose and RGIII are very similar.

It eases my RGIII fears if that makes any sense.

Hell of a ballsy floater by D-Rose. Bulls desperately need either Butler, Deng, or Dunleavy (who has been ****ing awful) to start knocking down the open 3s they get. It's ridiculous.

Rose saved himself with that game winner. He was awful as a point guard tonight and he kept taking contested shot around the basket and either missing badly or getting completely smothered by the defense. 18 points on 23 shots is terrible.

The refs are more whistle happy with ticky tack violations in October/November.  It's a continuation from the pre-season, they eventually stop calling some things, and then in the playoffs...cease calling them altogether.  It's a weird phenomenon with the NBA, they want the players to stop doing these things, but don't want to seemingly "screw up" the more important games and have fans pissed.

Eliminating hesitation dribbles by calling palming is one of the points of emphasis for this season.  The rules committee trained the refs on calling it this summer, along with focusing on these other points:

- illegal screens

- contact on jumpers (I think its the Kobe thing from last season)

- traveling

- delay of game after made baskets

I get the need to emphasize most of the other stuff.  Illegal screens have become more of an issue with the dominance of the pick and roll and pick and fade.  Delay of game was an issue as teams tried to give themselves time to get set on D against fast break teams.

Also, it's just obnoxious and slows the game down when you do it over the course of an entire game.

But the palming seems like a needless fix.  Palming and traveling have been pretty common place and a tacitly allowed part of the game for decades.  How is it suddenly threatening the game?  Is this an Adam Silver thing?

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Just got back from the Bulls/Sixers game

Derrick Rose is really tough to watch right now. Worst fourth quarter I've seen a Star ever have. He literally turned the ball over on four straight possessions down the stretch and MCW kicked his ass on both ends.

Luckily he has 79 more games to figure it out.

Carter-Williams (I know it's been only 3 games) is a monster. Does every thing really well.

Sadly the Sixers are just playing themselves into basketball purgatory

Derrick Rose hasn't scored more points than he's had shot attempts in any of his first three games. That's bad. The fact that he's had more turnovers than assists in all of those games as well is terrible. He took a lot of time off and it shows.

Just got back from the Bulls/Sixers gameDerrick Rose is really tough to watch right now. Worst fourth quarter I've seen a Star ever have. He literally turned the ball over on four straight possessions down the stretch and MCW kicked his ass on both ends.Luckily he has 79 more games to figure it out.Carter-Williams (I know it's been only 3 games) is a monster. Does every thing really well.Sadly the Sixers are just playing themselves into basketball purgatory

I was just telling somebody, the Sixers are gonna over achieve and win around 30.

It's already, "goodbye Wiggins."

Derrick Rose hasn't scored more points than he's had shot attempts in any of his first three games. That's bad. The fact that he's had more turnovers than assists in all of those games as well is terrible. He took a lot of time off and it shows.

And I was a fool to buy into his preseason hype and pay 50+ dollars for him in fantasy.

Somehow Reggie Bullock has a league leading 83.5 PER right now.

In second place is the great Shelvin Mack at 41.1.  Shelvin Mack's TS% is 1.139.  I didn't know it was possible to gover over one but apparently he did it by making two FTs and scoring 2 points on 0 FGAs.  His ORtg is a league leading 240.

I enjoy sorting through basketball reference when they've got tiny sample sizes.