Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Melo just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to leave THAT much money on the table to go to Houston of all places. Dwight Howard is wired differently. I think he legitimately wanted to go someplace "safe" because he could no longer handle the criticism that comes with playing in LA. He was willing to forego millions of dollars to go to an easier market where he wouldn't have to be the face of the franchise. He's a very odd dude.

I think Melo wants titles, but I also don't think he feels the need to justify his career to anyone. He won an NCAA title. He has two Olympic golds. He's won a scoring title. He made the Knicks relevant again. I also don't see how LA is any more desirable in 12 months than New York. Would he want to play with a 40-something Kobe Bryant who is trying to break scoring records? Is Jimmy Buss an improvement over James Dolan?

New York will have Amare Stoudmire's expiring contract in two years. They will have some flexibility.

As Destino said, it'd be the Clippers and not the Lakers that signed Melo.  Melo to the Lakers is just not happening.  Melo to the Clippers is a big stretch too.  First off, getting the money to work out with the Clippers is really tough.  They're spending too much on players that will be really hard to deal.

Second, I think the Clippers is secretly a horrible situation.  Something is seriously wrong with that team's chemistry.  They've got a horrible culture and are thoroughly unlikable.  CP3 seems completely detached.  He cashed in and is already talking retirement, and I think this is his unconscious way of admitting his knees are ****ed up and that he knows the team is not good enough to legitimately contend.  Ownership's incompetence is well documented.  They're offensively incompetent.  And in several important ways, Blake Griffin has regressed each year of his career, to the point that he only played 32 minutes per game last season.  He's going into what's actually his fifth professional season.  He came out of college after his sophomore year.  We're approaching the point where he just is what he is.  If not this year, then next year.  And he's still a flawed enough player that you can't contend around him.

Back to Melo's situation, if he opts out this upcoming summer and leaves New York, that's a tremendous amount of money to leave on the table.  More than Dwight walked away from in salary, because it's not just one year of back end max level money but two.  

He's scheduled to make 23.3 million dollars next season.  Then figure he'd get the five year deal from New York right?  He'd have 10+ years of veterancy, unlike Dwight.  He'd be eligible for the super duper max, 35% of the cap with huge raises scheduled for a massive cap number the final year.  I don't feel like figuring that number out, but it'd be bigger than what Dwight walked away from this summer.

It's safe to say it would be over 50 million dollars of lost guaranteed salary.  Absurd.  To recoup that Carmelo would have to hope he's still a max level player when his contract is up two years earlier, so that he could sign another 4 year max extension.  That's certainly possible.  He'd be like 33.  I think Dirk and Kobe each signed huge max deals around that age.  Hell, if that happened, he'd actually gain two years of max money, assuming there is little chance he'd sign another max deal at age 36.  

But it's a terrible risk to take in a sport where one unfortunate step can ruin your career.

I don't care who you are and how badly you want to win, that's an immense amount of money to leave on the table.

Ultimately, I think he opts into his final year in New York and then tests FA during the next summer after New York is finally out of Amar'e's contract.  If they don't bring in anyone worthy that summer, I think there is a very real chance he gets something organized with another superstar player and walks.  One thing to remember is that Melo was one of the last beneficiaries of the old sign and trade rule.  He didn't have to leave any money on the table at all when he got himself traded from Denver.  Because of this, he might be thinking to himself, "I'm playing with house money, I can afford to walk away from a year of guaranteed max money."

In the unlikely event Melo opts out this summer, then I think it's going to be to go to either Houston or Dallas.  Dallas will have the cap space and then they can renegotiate with Dirk for a discount using exceptions I believe.  Houston can get almost all the cap space they need from dealing Asik and Lin, both of whom will be tricky to deal because of their 15 million dollar salaries next season, but both of whom should have some trade value.

I do think Chicago is a possibility, but to get there they basically have to find a dupe to absorb all of Boozer's contract in the next few months.  Options are limited because I can't imagine many teams are that far under the cap, if any.  And there aren't too many bulk expirings for this summer.  The Lakers aren't going to trade Kobe or Gasol for Boozer.  And I sincerely hope the Wizards don't panic and deal Emeka Okafor for Boozer.  Not going to rule that out though...

In the more likely event that Melo opts into his final year and tests FA the next summer, a lot more teams could come into play.  Many teams currently have the cap space to max offers that summer.  It probably makes the most sense for Carmelo to opt in and wait a summer to hit FA.

I'm not sure if you intend to be consistently passive aggressive or not, but exactly who is being defensive in here? I don't see anyone.

I took your post as a defense of your team, the Heat.  Maybe you didn't mean it as such but given your a Heat fan I figured you were a bit upset about what I posted which was admittedly, poorly worded and a bit condescending to their championship.  I elaborated in a post to MLSKINS that I didn't mean to imply that they didn't earn their championship but that they snuck through the last two series of the postseason and thus anyone claiming (and there are people) that they will cakewalk to a three-peat is fooling themselves.  That was my point.  I gave them props in that post to MLSKINS.

Edited by Sticksboi05

In the unlikely event Melo opts out this summer, then I think it's going to be to go to either Houston or Dallas.  Dallas will have the cap space and then they can renegotiate with Dirk for a discount using exceptions I believe.  Houston can get almost all the cap space they need from dealing Asik and Lin, both of whom will be tricky to deal because of their 15 million dollar salaries next season, but both of whom should have some trade value.

I do think Chicago is a possibility, but to get there they basically have to find a dupe to absorb all of Boozer's contract in the next few months.  Options are limited because I can't imagine many teams are that far under the cap, if any.  And there aren't too many bulk expirings for this summer.  The Lakers aren't going to trade Kobe or Gasol for Boozer.  And I sincerely hope the Wizards don't panic and deal Emeka Okafor for Boozer.  Not going to rule that out though...

In the more likely event that Melo opts into his final year and tests FA the next summer, a lot more teams could come into play.  Many teams currently have the cap space to max offers that summer.  It probably makes the most sense for Carmelo to opt in and wait a summer to hit FA.

I think the writing is on the wall for Melo in New York.  I don't think he thinks he can win a ring there which I'd hope is his top priority.  He'll be 30 in a few months.

Your reply to my admittedly poorly worded post about the Heat's 2013 championship was defensive, if you don't believe that, well I don't know what to say.  

Sorry, but if you read my post where I clearly said that even from an objective standpoint, I would take issue with what you said, you'll see that clearly it was more about your wording than it was my response. Clearly you agree, otherwise you wouldn't have edited it, right? So why attempt to spin, and turn this into "Sinister is defensive," rather than "My post was a little dumb?"

Anyways, I'm not upset or anything like that... So I'll drop it and leave you alone.

I didn't mean to say they didn't earn their championship as I later explained in a post to MLSKINS, my point was they are not cake walking to a three-peat like some people are saying, and last playoffs proved they are beatable.  Does that mean they aren't the best team?  No, they are.  But they are not invincible. 

And just because ESPN says they're invincible (I haven't watched any of the talk shows/SC in awhile, but I'm sure they said something similar) doesn't mean its true, so you can exhale a little. Once again, they will have to give it everything they have (and more) against steadily improving competition, in order to bring home a title. Every year gets a little more difficult. This year will be no different.
Edited by Mr. Sinister

Sorry, but if you read my post where I clearly said that even from an objective standpoint, I would take issue with what you said, you'll see that clearly it was more about your wording than it was my response. Clearly you agree, otherwise you wouldn't have edited it, right? So why attempt to spin, and turn this into "Sinister is defensive," rather than "My post was a little dumb?"

Anyways, I'm not upset or anything like that... So I'll drop it and leave you alone.

Well then it was a misunderstanding on my part. I figured if I had used poor wording but about a team besides the Heat, you wouldn't have cared enough to post so that's why I said you were being defensive.  My mistake.

Greg Popovich is such a boss...

We talkin' 'bout PREseason man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgQlF4-xi-A

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 1

Watching Pacers-Magic & Heat-Bulls.  Really good opening night games.

Chicago is really tough to play.  Just a bruising, bullying team.  Indiana is similar.

Hibbert and Noah are rebounding monsters, wishing I had picked them in my fantasy league.  I was this close to getting both but chickened out over the cost because I was saving my money to make sure I got Bradley Beal and Tim Duncan.  

Hibbert had like 15 rebounds and 5 blocks in the first half.  Picking up where he left off in the postseason.

So far Chicago has relied far too much on Mike Dunleavey to shoot...  They have to have better options than that.

The hell is Andrew Nicholson?  Is that the dude from St. Bonaventure?

Chicago has been terrible on offense.  Deng and Butler got into foul trouble so early and their offense has been totally inept since.  Rose has played poorly so far.

Vucevic just passed it to the ref.

Orlando needs to play Victor Oladipo 40 minutes a night.  The kid looks like he can take it.  He makes them infinitely more watchable.

I like the Oladipo is running PG for Orlando so much because I like watching him with the ball.  But objectively speaking, it's a dumb idea.  He's a pure SG.

Yeah he has played really well this game.  Miami looks really good and Chicago looks really vulnerable.  I didn't realize their scoring options were this thin.

Flip on over to Indy vs Orlando and it's been entertaining.  These are some athletic teams.  Hibbert with 16 rebounds and 7 blocks...  He's scored just 8 points and totally dominated the game.

He and Paul George have both picked up from where they were in last year's playoffs.

Ah no, Hibbert is writhing on the floor holding his knee.

Chicago is not going anywhere unless they improve their inside game and get a real SG

Butler isn't a bad option at SG.  They'll be alright once Rose gets back to being himself.  He's been awful and they clearly need him to be great to get that offense going.

Another problem has been some foul trouble.  Butler and Deng were really made into nonfactors when they got into foul trouble.

They've got the players to be an elite team, they've just played poorly tonight.

Chicago is not going anywhere unless they improve their inside game and get a real SG

They have bigs and I like Jimmy Butler. They just need to execute their offense better, they are getting a lot of bad shots because Miami's defense is smothering them. It doesn't help that Rose looks terrible and Deng has been taken out of the game by fouls (the last of which was a ridiculous call).

Miami looks like they're at the point where their supporting cast has come together enough to where their big three don't have to play like All Stars in order for them to play well.  They've become a cohesive team.

They've played brilliant defense too.  All these traps and double teams are exhausting.  They are really dialed in on this end, beating Chicago at their own game.