Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Not sure why the media is giving Howard so much flack. Houston is in a much better position to compete then LA is. The Lakers are old, injured and have no talent in the pipeline.

he isnt getting any flak especially compared to what Lebron got. And Dwight did a lot more damage than Lebron did.

He deserves it to an extent, but going to Houston is a better move than LA. Going to Golden State would have been the perfect move for him. He and his lack of post moves would eat well with those shooters in Golden State.

I guess because he "shunned" LA, the media is all over him for not staying, but he never really was comfortable there.  Golden State would have been a good place also. 

its some of that, and people are starting to realize Dwight isnt the #1 option on a championship team type of guy.

Not sure why the media is giving Howard so much flack. Houston is in a much better position to compete then LA is. The Lakers are old, injured and have no talent in the pipeline.

he isnt getting any flak especially compared to what Lebron got. And Dwight did a lot more damage than Lebron did.

He deserves it to an extent, but going to Houston is a better move than LA. Going to Golden State would have been the perfect move for him. He and his lack of post moves would eat well with those shooters in Golden State.

No way. Dwight didn't come close to doing the damage LeBron did. He didn't leave a franchise that had been building around him and catering to his every whim for seven years in a lurch. He didn't turn a 60 win, best record in the NBA team into one of the worst teams in NBA history that set a record for worst losing streak ever the next season. LA still has Kobe, Nash, and Gasol, and they've got no long term cap commitments at all. He didn't deal a blow to LA's economy like LeBron did in Cleveland. He didn't abandon a city famous for being a hapless and beaten down sports town, a city where he was the hometown hero and the best thing to happen to them in sports since Jim Brown.

And most of all, he didn't host a half our TV special to shamelessly promote himself and publicly spurn and humiliate the city that worshiped him. And he didn't follow that up with a ridiculous WWE style pep rally where he predicted winning 8+ championships. LeBron spent the summer of 2010 doing basically everything he could to make the rest of the country hate him.

The basketball world loved LeBron before the summer of 2010. He was the golden boy of the 4 letter network. He got a free pass from the media in general even though he'd done so many obnoxious things before he even set foot in the NBA, like anointing himself King James and getting a gigantic tattoo across his back that reads "Chosen 1." The only people who hated him were Wizards fans, the same kind of very specific hate Dallas fans have for Dwyane Wade.

Did Lebron try and get a coach fired?

Did Lebron hold a team ransom and demand to be traded several times?

Did Lebron dog numerous games like Dwight did that last season in Orlando? 

And Dwight definitely did leave a team that had been built around him and catered to his needs in a lurch. IIRC, they had one of the 3 worst records in the NBA last season.

At the end of the day, all Lebron did was honor his contract and leave. Thats it. Dwight didnt.

2 years ago Dwight was one of the most likeable players in the NBA, now he is nowhere near that. 

And on top of that, he isnt even that great of a player.

1 - Did Lebron try and get a coach fired?

2 - Did Lebron hold a team ransom and demand to be traded several times?

3 - Did Lebron dog numerous games like Dwight did that last season in Orlando? 

4 - And Dwight definitely did leave a team that had been built around him and catered to his needs in a lurch. IIRC, they had one of the 3 worst records in the NBA last season.

5 - At the end of the day, all Lebron did was honor his contract and leave. Thats it. Dwight didnt.

1 - Wasn't Mike Brown fired in an attempt to try to keep Lebron?

2 - You say the team was held ransom... that's strange. Dwight said the entire time he wanted to be traded and stayed an extra year so that Orlando would get something back. They did and looking back now, they clearly came out the winners of that trade. The mess in Orlando was created by Orlando dragging their feet.

3 - Game 5 versus the Celtics.

4 - Virtually every one star team will collapse if they lose that star.

5 - Lebron held a prime time special to break Clevelands heart. What he did was like inviting all of your friends and wife's friends to dinner so that you can tell your wife that you are leaving her. On the douchebag scale of 1 - 10 it's a 22.

Having said all that Dwight isn't nearly as good as Lebron and I'm not sure the guy has what it takes to be a champion.

Edited by Destino

1 - Did Lebron try and get a coach fired?

2 - Did Lebron hold a team ransom and demand to be traded several times?

3 - Did Lebron dog numerous games like Dwight did that last season in Orlando? 

4 - And Dwight definitely did leave a team that had been built around him and catered to his needs in a lurch. IIRC, they had one of the 3 worst records in the NBA last season.

5 - At the end of the day, all Lebron did was honor his contract and leave. Thats it. Dwight didnt.

1 - Wasn't Mike Brown fired in an attempt to try to keep Lebron? And they hired Byron Scott, who Lebron didnt want. And again, find a moment when a coach comes out and says LEbron tried to get him fired. And Lebron puts his arm around him like everyting was all good.

2 - You say the team was held ransom... that's strange. Dwight said the entire time he wanted to be traded and stayed an extra year so that Orlando would get something back. They did and looking back now, they clearly came out the winners of that trade. The mess in Orlando was created by Orlando dragging their feet. Untrue, he stayed the extra year because he was indecisive.

3 - Game 5 versus the Celtics. True, Dwight had about 10 games like that during the season. Also Lebron damn near got a triple-double in game 6.

4 - Virtually every one star team will collapse if they lose that star. Cool.

5 - Lebron held a prime time special to break Clevelands heart. What he did was like inviting all of your friends and wife's friends to dinner so that you can tell your wife that you are leaving her. On the douchebag scale of 1 - 10 it's a 22. Now imagine a player saying this BEFORE every game like Dwight did.

Having said all that Dwight isn't nearly as good as Lebron and I'm not sure the guy has what it takes to be a champion.

I feel Dwight was much worse and damaging, and a jerk than Lebron was.

He's just mad that he left and the Lakers are a sinking ship.

Actually most laker fans arent that mad. I would have rather had him then lost him but its not that bad. Watching every game he played this year revealed all his effort and character flaws. Not to mention his terrible back to the basket game.

Dwight is still the best center in the league by a good margin, one of few franchise big men out there. That fan should direct his anger and frustration at the Lakers FO. It wasn't a mistake to trade for Dwight because they didn't really lose anything in the deal. The mistake was in creating such a toxic environment that resulted in Dwight actually waling away from 30 million dollars just to get away from them. From the day he arrived, they couldn't possibly have done more to screw things up.

I think the Lakers FO and fans have a false sense of the draw their franchise has for stars and FAs now. They've gone from the organization that uses the rest of the league as a farm system to the only organization that's ever had a player turn down 30 million dollars to get away. They're dysfunctional.

I think the only real mistake the lakers made was hiring mike dantoni. And I agree Dwight is the best center in the league. If Dwight really wanted to win LA would be the best option. He left the team that's been in like 45% of the finals since the league existed. He would have had to suck it up for 1 year. Dantoni will get fired and we could bring in a lot of free agents and build the team around him. And over the 4 years he actually makes 2 mil more than he would have twitch the lakers. The extra money is just from that 5th year.

He just wants an easy way out and I think he'll realize eventually that championships are not handed out. We'll see how the rockets do but it could look a lot similar. They are going to throw it to him in the post and realize that he can't really do much and end up running a lot of pick and roll. He's going to have to realize his limits and judging from his history idk if he will accept it. He's not Hakeem or shaq. He's more like a Moses Malone would go just dominate on defense and dunk and clean up on offense

I think the only real mistake the lakers made was hiring mike dantoni. 

I agree 1000% When they hired him, I knew the Lakers were done. It was one of the stupidest mistakes I have ever seen.

If Dwight really wanted to win LA would be the best option.

The Lakers are under new ownership. I think Dr.Buss's children are not going to be able to carry on the legacy like he did.

Yes they have been in 45% of the Finals since the league started or whatever, but the league is changing. The league is getting more talented. And unless we get players of Lebron and Wade's caliber teaming up every couple of years, I think the runs of teams winning multiple rings at a time are about to come to an end.

The Lakers last two decades were built on a mid round draft pick, that they traded for, turning out to be a hall of famer and Phil Jackson. Who is the superstar, still in his prime, that's demanded to play with Kobe? No one. The last superstar they got was Shaq in 1996. Where is the evidence that everyone wants to play for the Lakers? They don't even have a point guard despite numerous attempts, for several years, to get one. Hearing guys talk you'd think they just announce they needed one and every talented PG in America would immediately demand a trade.

Like I said before the lakers have one shot after this season to attract a superstar or they are going to be faced with a tough choice. Rebuild or get whoever they can and be happy with a playoff spot. If they can get Melo or Lebron they'll be contenders again. If they can't....

I think the only real mistake the lakers made was hiring mike dantoni.

I agree 1000% When they hired him, I knew the Lakers were done. It was one of the stupidest mistakes I have ever seen.

If Dwight really wanted to win LA would be the best option.

The Lakers are under new ownership. I think Dr.Buss's children are not going to be able to carry on the legacy like he did.

Yes they have been in 45% of the Finals since the league started or whatever, but the league is changing. The league is getting more talented. And unless we get players of Lebron and Wade's caliber teaming up every couple of years, I think the runs of teams winning multiple rings at a time are about to come to an end.

Agree with your last paragraph. And I hope it's true.

The Lakers last two decades were built on a mid round draft pick, that they traded for, turning out to be a hall of famer and Phil Jackson. Who is the superstar, still in his prime, that's demanded to play with Kobe? No one. The last superstar they got was Shaq in 1996. Where is the evidence that everyone wants to play for the Lakers? They don't even have a point guard despite numerous attempts, for several years, to get one. Hearing guys talk you'd think they just announce they needed one and every talented PG in America would immediately demand a trade.

Like I said before the lakers have one shot after this season to attract a superstar or they are going to be faced with a tough choice. Rebuild or get whoever they can and be happy with a playoff spot. If they can get Melo or Lebron they'll be contenders again. If they can't....

and in the draft that year they got another superstar in Kobe Bryant.

The Lakers do a good job at rebuilding on the fly. They really need to tank next season tho and try and get a top 5 pick. 

The Lakers do a good job at rebuilding on the fly. They really need to tank next season tho and try and get a top 5 pick. 

Kobe is who he was talking about when he said they traded for a mid-round pick. Kobe was originally drafted by Charlotte.

Kobe is who he was talking about when he said they traded for a mid-round pick. Kobe was originally drafted by Charlotte.

Kobe wanted to play for the Lakers.

My real point is that Kobe was the superstar for all of those years. They havent gotten/needed one since.

So the players that could be free agents in 2014-15 season by opting out: James, Melo, Wade, and Bosh. The players that will be free agents if they don't sign extensions: Deng, Granger, and Dirk.

The Lakers will certainly have a chance to sign some players if these guys want to play in LA. I personally would like to see Melo and Kobe on the same team just to see how many shots the rest of the team gets.

So the players that could be free agents in 2014-15 season by opting out: James, Melo, Wade, and Bosh. The players that will be free agents if they don't sign extensions: Deng, Granger, and Dirk.

The Lakers will certainly have a chance to sign some players if these guys want to play in LA. I personally would like to see Melo and Kobe on the same team just to see how many shots the rest of the team gets.

My over/under is 6 shots for the rest of the team.

National Collusion Association 

This is why they need a franchise tag. Why even both having more than 6 teams if these guys will take less to get together for a "run". These aren't champions. This is like inside trading with the league, the teams and the players.

You can go back to the "trade" than brought Gasol to the Lakers. These are the Modern-Dark Ages of the NBA. Might as well just scrap it and create an And-1 Tour in LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, and Boston.

You can go back to the "trade" than brought Gasol to the Lakers. These are the Modern-Dark Ages of the NBA. Might as well just scrap it and create an And-1 Tour in LA, Chicago, NY, Miami, and Boston.

Looking back that trade wasn't too bad. Grizz got Marc Gasol, two first round draft picks, and some players. Marc Gasol is the leagues defensive MVP and is arguably the more valuable of the two players right now.  

This is why they need a franchise tag. Why even both having more than 6 teams if these guys will take less to get together for a "run". These aren't champions. This is like inside trading with the league, the teams and the players.

Are you even an NBA fan?

This is a serious question because the NBA is probably in a Golden Age right now. Ratings are up, the league is on a lot of peoples tongue, young stars, etc.

The real dark ages were in the 70s when the Lakers and Celtics fell off, but that doesnt fit your narrative very well.

I think Paul George is a Free Agent too, although restricted.

Are you even an NBA fan?

This is a serious question because the NBA is probably in a Golden Age right now. Ratings are up, the league is on a lot of peoples tongue, young stars, etc.

The real dark ages were in the 70s when the Lakers and Celtics fell off, but that doesnt fit your narrative very well.

The 70's weren't a dark age. That was the merger era, it set the table for all of the success that was to come. It was the most truly competitive era in NBA history, multiple teams contending like a real pro league. Good stars and iconic players like Dr. J and Kareem and Walt Frazier and Elvin Hayes and Hondo and Bob McAdoo and Rick Barry. The pace and playing style started to resemble the modern game. And I think the level of offensive play in the 70s was extremely high. The 70s were when the NBA actually started to look comparable in professionalism and quality and power to the NFL, NHL, and MLB.

You just think it's a dark age because you're a Lakers fan.

If there was ever a time when the popularity and quality of the NBA tanked it was the post Jordan, Pre LeBron era. The ISO ball era, post hand checking, pre defensive three seconds, pre zone defense, pre dress code era. Reached its nadir with the Malice at the Palace. The league had a thuggish reputation and basically drove all white viewers away except for die hards. The country despised guys like Starbury, AI, and Kobe. Vince Carter was not particularly well liked or compelling. Duncan and Dirk were not exceptionally marketable. The caliber of talent in the league was low and USA basketball had become an embarrassment. It went back to being a niche sport. The damage of that era still hasn't been undone. The NBA is still something of a niche sport, and there are still very few casual white fans or founds outside foreign and/or urban demographics.

This is a bit off topic, but i cant believe ESPN nuked their own commenting system. Nobody is going to post comments on their articles anymore if it is attached to bookface. They are going to lose an incredible amount of traffic on their site. When articles that might have generated upwards of 10,000 comments on the regular; i.e. all lakers/tebow/miami/lebron/scandals now end up getting only around 1-200 comments that amount to nothing more than "yes, i agree", they are going to feel it. While all other articles will gather baseball-esque totals of around 50 posts. That is an insane amount of traffic lost.

I understand that there were alot of trolls there,and they felt that they needed to do something about it sometimes. But that place will be a ghost town now. Conversation is dead. And if anything has been proven in the past few years, its that if a board/forum no longer has the ability for anonymous public conversation/commenting, that board/forum will fail just like every other printed media.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I just heard somebody say that Jon Ireland said on his show that he can create of five of any of the great Lakers and it would beat any team from any of the other teams in the league.

So this is who he came up with...

PG-Magic

SG-Kobe

F-Elgin Baylor

F-James Worthy

C-Kareem

lol Nice list, but no....

543851_10201397463041193_1060055289_n.jp