Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I dunno. Bosh is asked to do a lot of unreasonable things on defense that I don't think Love is capable of doing. Offensively, it would be an upgrade, but that team is simultaneously great defensively while hanging on by an absolute thread. Love for Bosh would be a disaster on that end.

Aside from that....yea....nearly every team would be deadly with Kevin Love.

I think he sticks in Minny though. 

In some situations he might be better man defender because he deals with physical players better than Bosh does.  He gets into some fun wrestling matches with Blake Griffin and seems to enjoy it.  It would certainly be a downgrade defensively overall however, you're right on that point, because he can't cover the space Bosh does and he doesn't protect the rim.  

Love is a far better rebounder however and he'd be a huge upgrade for Miami, they have no one nearly as productive.  He seals off his man and really limits offensive rebounds surrendered to the other team which does limit opponent scoring.  He's getting 5.5 contested rebounds per game this season which is third in the NBA.  Miami is currently last in rebounds per game and rebound%.  

In some situations he might be better man defender because he deals with physical players better than Bosh does.  He gets into some fun wrestling matches with Blake Griffin and seems to enjoy it.  It would certainly be a downgrade defensively overall however, you're right on that point, because he can't cover the space Bosh does and he doesn't protect the rim.  

Love is a far better rebounder however and he'd be a huge upgrade for Miami, they have no one nearly as productive.  He seals off his man and really limits offensive rebounds surrendered to the other team which does limit opponent scoring.  He's getting 5.5 contested rebounds per game this season which is third in the NBA.  Miami is currently last in rebounds per game and rebound%.  

I don't disagree with you overall.

I do think people have forgotten how good Chris Bosh is though, because no player in NBA history has ever gone from top dog on a team to role player so eagerly. And, also, because he looks like that. Granted, he's being paid a king's ransom to shoot open jumpers and play sweeper on defense. But he was is a player who was basically a 20/10 guy for five straight years and is still in his prime years.

It's just bizarre to me that his name never gets thrown around as someone who can take a team over the top.

I mean, why wouldn't the Wizards want him? He's not yet 30, has all kinds of big game experience, seems to be a great teammate when not asked to be the alpha dog, can play any front court position, and - oh by the way - he could give you 20/8 while playing solid D.

He might be the least appreciated 8-time all star in league history.

The Heat seem flat and Riley is a maniac who will listen to any deal. I doubt his contract is easy to move, but if I was a GM, I would be interested in getting him.

(By the way, Ariza, Porter, and Vesely for Bosh works in the trade machine. I know that trade makes no sense for Miami right now...but STILL).

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I've commented several times that Bosh would be an amazing acquisition for the Wizards.  He's wasted in Miami and I haven't forgotten that the guy can flat out play.  I  think offensively Love is a better fit with Lebron and Wade but the dinosaur man is still a big time talent.    

Not really...They have a puppet for a head coach and KG looks awful.  Not to mention, D-Will isn't exactly playing awe-inspiring ball.

I blame ownership. Prokhorov came into the picture like Dan Snyder on steroids and he's added a bunch of bad players with bad deals just to pick up some names.

Joe Johnson isn't good any more and has an awful contract.

Paul Pierce is flat out useless. He's awful.

And KG looks really bad now too.

The thing is, they actually have a pretty good thing in DWill and Brook Lopez. If they had just stuck to the plan with them and built a sane, sustainable team around those two, they'd be a really good team.

I've commented several times that Bosh would be an amazing acquisition for the Wizards.  He's wasted in Miami and I haven't forgotten that the guy can flat out play.  I  think offensively Love is a better fit with Lebron and Wade but the dinosaur man is still a big time talent.    

Bosh is a terrific player, but he is not wasted in Miami.  He is not maximizing his stats, but they are maximizing their wins and championships and he is a huge part of what they do.

Yeah, Bosh would be awesome on the Wizards. He's have a bigger role in DC than he does in Miami, but he'd basically be able to do a lot of the same things here that he does in Miami. He'd get to play PF again, which I think would be good for him. Get to play with real bigs. But he is expensive.

Another aspect of the Kevin Love fit in Miami--tremendous asset in the transition game because of his rebounding and outlet passing. Miami could have their guys leak out and Kevin Love could finish the D and start the break over and over and over again.

Goddamn, he'd be an amazing fit offensively. It would really suck if Love ended up in Miami.

It's the reason that the Wizards need to start winning games and not looking for lottery picks.

Wizards can't handle another high lottery pick. They're going to have trouble finding minutes for Otto Porter when he gets back as is. They need to deal Ariza to make room for him.

Its hard to keep a group of young players together. Even OKC dealt James Harden, for what? A year of Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, and Steven Adams. Adams needs to end up being good for that deal not to be so heinous.

You can't have everyone learning on the job at the same time, the Wizards learned this the hard way. You won't be able to shoot, play defense, or execute quality offensive sets.

I don't think bottoming out entirely is the way to go to rebuild in the NBA. I think the best way to rebuild is something like what Philly is doing--get one or two high lotto talents but keep a couple of good vets who are in their prime so that you can start winning again quickly. Otherwise you're just going to cycle a bunch of talent and get little return for several of your lotto picks.

Cleveland is an analytics heavy FO like Houstons. It doesn't surprise me that these teams totally ignored defense when they built. Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett is a lot of young offensive talent, all brutally bad defenders. That doesn't look like the core of a team. It looks like a collection of scoring skills and nerd vetted offensive efficiency numbers.

I bet they're sitting Bennett because he had such a dreadful start and they're trying to preserve his confidence. Observers of the league can be pretty brutal to struggling rookies.

Another team that probably has a bit too much young talent for their own good is Golden State. I don't see a place for Harrison Barnes in that line up. They look awfully close to a contender today. I think they should look to deal Barnes for something really good.

Love should go to GS. 3s for days. I don't know if that would work, cause I still a basketball newbie, but 3's for days.

Yeah, because the Warriors have a need for another 3 point shooter smh.

Wiggins, Randle and Parker are all that and a bag of chips. That was my first time watching them. Wow. The NBA has a very bright future. Randle needs to learn how to shoot free throws though. No reason for a guy that talented to be so awful.

Edited by Bubble Screen

If Minnesota keeps winning he'll stay. They're off to a good start. If they make the playoffs the next two years I think he'll sign a long deal there. If they don't, I think he leaves.

Does Minny still have their five year deal to give?

Love would be a nice fit in DC. He'd have his dad's legacy and the fans here already like him. He'd have good teammates and the roster certainly has room for a superstar PF like him. He could legitimately contend for titles with Wall and Beal.

they have that earmarked for Rubio, iirc

Hang Up and Listen had a live podcast this week with Bob Costas that was really good. (Costas was downright testy at times. I think he forgot that the conversation was being recorded for broadcast).

During the Q&A at the end, one of the questions was "What would you like Adam Silver's goals to be?"

Josh Levin's answer was interesting. He said that the league has somehow convinced its fans into believing that being really really terrible for a few years is a good thing. And that the league needs to somehow find a way to reward being competitive.

I agree that it's not good that seven or eight teams are trying to lose games this year. But - at the same time - it's clearly the right thing to do. The NBA is the only team sport where one player can completely turn around a team's fortunes. You need to do everything you can to get that player - including losing. Still, that sucks for fans who are expected to pay for tickets and watch the tank job.

Is there anything that can be done to make tanking not a reasonable team building strategy? Should the draft lottery go back to one card per team?

I'm honestly stumped by how to fix this.

Have a "losers" tournament for lottery teams.  Tournament outcome determines draft order. 

Wow....that's an intriguing idea.

They were talking about Simmons' "Entertaining as Hell" tournament, which I think is stupid. I don't want to spend a week watching bad teams play for the right to get annihilated by Miami in Round 1.

But you could run your idea simultaneously with the playoffs. You could give the two worst teams a first round bye so there is some slight advantage to being terrible. 6 first round series, 4 second round series, 2 semis, and a finals. Make everything 2 out of 3.

You could also play with the seeds to give the bad teams and advantage instead of 1 plays 12, make it 1 plays 2 and 3 plays 4 and so forth. Give the "good" bad teams a tougher path.

That's a ton of extra revenue as well. Sell these games to some lesser network like TruTV. Some teams would get something like 6 or 7 more home games.

And that would reward teams who actually got better during the year. The Wizards last season probably could have won that losers tournament considering how well they were playing at the end of the season. 

I've now talked myself into this completely. How do we get this to someone?

Here's how this would have played out last year.

Byes: Magic, Bobcats

First Round

Utah at Dallas

Toronto at Philly

Portland at Minnesota

Washington at Detroit

Sacramento at New Orleans

Phoenix at Cleveland

Second Round

Cleveland at Magic

Bobcats at Sacramento

Washington at Portland

Toronto at Dallas

Semis

Cleveland at Bobcats

Washington at Toronto

Finals

Wizards at Cleveland

Think about this for this year? Wall vs. Irving for the right to get their choice of Wiggns or Jabari as a running mate. I would watch the hell out of that series. Imagine being able to cheer for your team to win a game late in the season.

• Like 1

If that is going to happen, it needs to be a 1 and done scenario.

Why?

One and Done is so random. 2 out 3 is less so, and who objects to more games at this point? It would still be over before the end of the real second round.

You can really rig this to give the losingest teams an advantage while still giving the good bad teams a chance to really improve.

The problem in the league right now is you either need to be really good or really bad. If you get caught in Milwaukee Bucks Land where you are the 9th best team in a conference year in and year out, you are kind of screwed.

Why?

One and Done is so random. 2 out 3 is less so, and who objects to more games at this point? It would still be over before the end of the real second round.

You can really rig this to give the losingest teams an advantage while still giving the good bad teams a chance to really improve.

The problem in the league right now is you either need to be really good or really bad. If you get caught in Milwaukee Bucks Land where you are the 9th best team in a conference year in and year out, you are kind of screwed.

Okay, but two of three is the max. And when will these games be shown? Would they be pitted against playoff games?

It would be more money for the NBA as well.  If possible, they could play the games in smaller venues.  In thinking about a Cleveland/Washington matchup, the "home" games could be played in Baltimore.  For Cleveland, they could play at OSU.  I'd almost guarantee it would be a sellout...college kids would fill that place up to see Kyrie Irving. 

We got something here, fellas...LOL

• Like 1

It would be more money for the NBA as well.  If possible, they could play the games in smaller venues.  In thinking about a Cleveland/Washington matchup, the "home" games could be played in Baltimore.  For Cleveland, they could play at OSU.  I'd almost guarantee it would be a sellout...college kids would fill that place up to see Kyrie Irving. 

We got something here, fellas...LOL

playing at OSU would give OSU money.