Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

You guys are so funny. 

You know where no FA signs and generally don't stay unless they can get paid more to lose ? 

Yeah, you do. 

Shaq, Gasol, Artest, Odom, etc... You guys act like it has been since the 80's. 

No one signs in DC...why would they ? Their leadership has been terrible since the early 90's.  Lakers aren't even 10 years removed from the Ring. 

Next conspiracy... The NBA wants a Lakers/Boston revitalization. 

The Lakers might be a decent 5th seed with LeBron and whoever. Might. 

Celtics Lakers III  ain't happening unless John Wick leaps through the movie screen and assassinates like 8 players across the Western United States ?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

George staying in OKC. What a worthless collection of superstars that team is.

Strike one for Magic Johnson.

They must have planted some palm trees in OKC.  

ESPN was sure he was gone from OKC.  I heard them talking on little mikes new morning show and The Jump about life for OKC after PG.  They thought trading Westbrook to start the rebuild was something the Thunder would have to consider.  Oh well, they’ll just have to live with the reality that small market teams keep signing allstars a little longer.  

I hope Lebron signs in Milwaukee.  

So, if I have this right, Denver declined Nikola Jokic's team option this summer in order to max him out a year early.  That's decent of them.  They could have had him play for another year for dirt cheap.

Their roster is going to be super expensive and cost a lot of luxury tax and they're not going to be able to bring in outside free agents for a while.  But they did right by their young star and made sure he won't hit the open market for a long time.

This can't be right.  Denver's just committed over 40 million more salary per year for the next 4 years.  Their payroll is going to be like 140+ million next season.  How can they afford this?

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

:rofl89:

And they wouldn't pay luxury tax to keep James Harden.  Fools.

But seriously though, where the Hell are these small and mid market teams getting the money for these payrolls and tax bills?

• Like 1

If Ayton is transcendent, then they might actually be a fringe playoff team.  They've picked in the top 8 so many times they're bizarrely deep.  In addition to Ariza, Jackson, and Bridges, they also have Jared Dudley and TJ Warren at SF, and at PF they've got Marquese Chriss and they just spent a 4th overall pick on Dragan Bender.  Center they've got Ayton and Tyson Chandler.  Booker and Knight at guard.

It's a weird mix of quality role player and blue chip young talent that can start winning soon and eventually grow into a power team.

So who is going to **** Houston over and sign Capela to a big ass offer sheet?

Dallas is obviously out.  What about Brooklyn?

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But seriously though, where the Hell are these small and mid market teams getting the money for these payrolls and tax bills?

The NBA TV contract.

And that they can eventually sell the team for

substantially more than they bought.

I hope OKC moves back to Seattle.

56 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

And that they can eventually sell the team for

substantially more than they bought.

I looked it up, and the NBA has a huge debt pool of 200 million in house financing per team that they can borrow against to pay operating costs, as well as 50 million they can borrow from outside sources.

The huge size of this pool comes from the big TV contract they signed in 2014.

And the huge amount of credit the league gives them has fed into the increased valuations.

The increasing team valuations feel like they're fueled by a bubble to me.  It's based on a massive TV contract that was damn near ruinous for ESPN. It has completely compromised ESPN's coverage of each sport and fueled downsizing at the network.  Cable TV subscriptions are plummeting and an equal revenue stream  from other viewing technologies hasn't emerged.  ESPN's NBA deal is going to be a cautionary tale now.

What's going to happen to the NBA when their TV deal expires and the next one they sign is nowhere close to as lucrative and you have all of these overvalued franchises with ownership groups that are heavily in debt and have very little equity and they try to sell their teams?

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I hope OKC moves back to Seattle.

I think you might be exactly right that this is what is happening.  OKC's ownership group doesn't care if they are super overleveraged because they can still sell the team for a big ass gain if they make the move at the height of the bubble.  And you make the franchise more attractive by fielding a competitive roster with starry players.

As far as I'm concerned, I think any team taking on a massive amount of payroll and tax debt could be trying to sell their team and cash in on the bubble.

I assumed that the bubble wouldn't burst until the ESPN deal expired, but if there is a widespread rush to sell now, it could really hurt he league.

54 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I looked it up, and the NBA has a huge debt pool of 200 million in house financing per team that they can borrow against to pay operating costs, as well as 50 million they can borrow from outside sources.

The huge size of this pool comes from the big TV contract they signed in 2014.

And the huge amount of credit the league gives them has fed into the increased valuations.

The increasing team valuations feel like they're fueled by a bubble to me.  It's based on a massive TV contract that was damn near ruinous for ESPN. It has completely compromised ESPN's coverage of each sport and fueled downsizing at the network.  Cable TV subscriptions are plummeting and an equal revenue stream  from other viewing technologies hasn't emerged.  ESPN's NBA deal is going to be a cautionary tale now.

What's going to happen to the NBA when their TV deal expires and the next one they sign is nowhere close to as lucrative and you have all of these overvalued franchises with ownership groups that are heavily in debt and have very little equity and they try to sell their teams?

The next move is streaming and they will earn even more since that’s how they live globally and the NBA is already positioned as the USA’s global league. 

People been saying tv/media contract is a bubble since the early aughts. It’s not.

• Like 1