Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Kobe makes the Lakers waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than what they are paying him. ANd much more than what Duncan earns for the Spurs.

BUt I agree, he shoulda took 20 mill a year.

The Lakers should have waited to see what he has left before signing him to anything at all. Laker fans will turn on Kobe and the team if that contract plus the repeater tax (which kicks in next season) stops the Lakers from putting together a decent team. He might be a shadow of his former self or he might simply not be in the teams best interest.

Kobe's ego won't let him accept a smaller role a pay check but he could have had a great chance of adding two more rings playing with another team for less money. Indiana or OKC come immediately to mind. Imagine the defenders he'd see on the floor with Durant and Westbrook.

Edited by Destino

The Lakers should have waited to see what he has left before signing him to anything at all. Laker fans will turn on Kobe and the team if that contract plus the repeater tax (which kicks in next season) stops the Lakers from putting together a decent team. He might be a shadow of his former self or he might simply not be in the teams best interest.

Laker fans will never turn on Kobe. Ever.

Follow any basketball writer on Twitter and see what happens when they say anything that about Kobe that is less than fawning. Kobe could behead James Worthy and drink his blood at center court and the fans would give him a ten minute standing ovation.

Its still early, but the East does look awful. I thought the talk of a top 5 then a bunch of crap in the East was off. Brooklyn's frankenteam was questionable from the get go and Kidd was clearly a gimmick hire. But I thought their size would take them a lot further than it has.

Also thought Chicago would be better. Didn't think Rose would fall so far. That team is worse than it seems. 6-6 and the schedule has been very home heavy. They're going to struggle to finish .500 whether or not they make any moves.

I thought Cleveland would be a lot better than they have. I didn't realize just how washed up Bynum is, or just how bad Bennett would be.

I was really skeptical of Detroit too. I thought signing players as flawed as Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings would lead to a combustible meltdown. Still might happen.

And I certainly didn't think Philly would win many games. I thought they might struggle to get to double digits but Evan Turner and MCW have vastly outperformed expectations.

Milwaukee is also probably a bit worse than I expected, but I didn't expect them to be good. If that team gets Wiggins or Parker, they could actually become relevant fairly quickly. Built like Indy.

Certain things were predictable though. Atlanta had a fine offseason, it's not surprising they've done well early. Like Portland, I thought they built a sneaky good team.

I also thought Charlotte had a nice team coming together for them. That team doesn't have a star scorer, but I think MKG and Zeller is a nice foundation for the future and they've got enough decent veterans to be competitive today. It's a flawed team though.

A lot of people picked up on Toronto having a decent roster last year but I think the schedule didn't break well for them. This is the year where you'll actually see it happen for them IMO. Its a shame though, Wiggins would have been great for them.

New York's meltdown was predictable. That team is just so poorly run.

And I think Boston's competitiveness was also predictable. Their situation at C notwithstanding, the team still has decent vets who know how to play and they can defend and rebound and play with a level of physicality that makes teams uncomfortable. They've played a ton of road games early on, and they should get better when Rondo returns. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish around .500.

Wizards having a bad start should have also been predictable when you saw how road heavy the early schedule was. The team will still probably finish at or just above .500, but they're going to lose a lot in November and December.

Kobe makes the Lakers waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than what they are paying him. ANd much more than what Duncan earns for the Spurs.

BUt I agree, he shoulda took 20 mill a year.

And Stephen A was made to look like a fool on First Take. He said Kobe would accept $20M a year and then a few minutes later "Breaking News: Kobe/Lakers agrees to a 2 year deal for $48M." Champion and Skip had to sooth his ego by saying, "you were close." I don't know what planet they're living on but $20M is not really close to $24M. That's $4M more per year.

• Like 1

Follow any basketball writer on Twitter and see what happens when they say anything that about Kobe that is less than fawning. Kobe could behead James Worthy and drink his blood at center court and the fans would give him a ten minute standing ovation.

LOL... Paints quite the mental image.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I think you could have picked someone other than big game James.

I have to believe some of the more talented teams in the East will settle down and start climbing in the standings.  Teams like New York and Brooklyn will eventually figure it out enough string some wins together.  New York is a mess so I don't expect much from them but they should be better than Boston and Philly.  Teams are over achieving early and I think they'll come back down to reality eventually.  Now I could be wrong because frankly the East isn't looking anything like anyone expected and I might just be stubborn in my thinking.  I don't really want to accept that Charlotte is a playoff team.  I don't see how an inefficient Toronto team is better than an inefficient but more talented Detroit team.  Philly can't be real, MCW is surprise but who the hell is that guy pretending to be Evan Turner?  

The Cavs and the Wizards should be better than they are but they have poor coaches and could very well fail horribly because of it.  Both teams live and die handing the ball to guards and hoping that they can make the team win by dribbling it a lot.  

I doubt Laker fans will prove to have much tolerance for losing and I think they'll start to freak out.  If Kobe is a shadow of his former self he's going to start doing and saying crazy **** as his ego refuses to accept reality which will draw a lot of negative attention.  You might be right but it will be fun to see what happens.  

...I'd rather watch the Redskins play 82 games that one offensive possession of the Bulls....

Lost in all the Rose hype is how ****ing brutal Joakim Noah has been. 

I guess he's still hurt. I love that dude but he is getting worked out there and you know Boozer's 100% is any normal person's 45%...

I thought Kobe murdering Nick Young would be the first on-court homicide...then I saw the face Tom Thibodeau makes when Marquis Teague has to play the point

The Spurs are unbelievably good. Every single player they've got can shoot, pass, and defend. They've easily been the best team top to bottom so far this season.

More thoughts:

- I'm astonished at how good Phoenix and Denver have been.

- Minnesota doesn't need to panic, but that team is flawed.

- For being just 6-10, Boston is an impressive 4-6 on the road. Their schedule has been brutal. 10 out of the first 16 on the road? And yet they're winning at a respectable rate. This team could be a lot better than they seem and they could sew up a playoff seed when Rondo gets back.

Also, if Boston wins when Rondo gets back and they make the playoffs and the Nets don't, this would be a pretty big indictment of the Nets organization and Deron Williams. The way he's played... his contract might end up being one of the worst in the NBA. He'll have competition for that title on his own team.

Dallas dodged a bullet in not getting him.