Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Yeah, systematically, Cousins would probably be better.

There's also the "Black Hole" effect. LeBron needs to control  of everything, and create opportunities for others, if you want the best version of him. 

Everyone defers to him, not the other way around, which renders very capable guys spectators, putting them in other positions they aren't used to, forcing at least one star to reduce their shots, cannibalizing them slowly. 

Wall and Beal already seem like they hate each other half the time. Good luck with having that dude taking subtle jabs at both of them through social media, while journalists talk about how awesome he is and how bad they are making him look. You would no longer be the Washington Wizards. You would  be the Washington LeBron's.

And although I think Cousins is the better fit, Im not sure that pro team + headcase + best friend on pro team + DMV is an experiment you want to try.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If he somehow ridiculously went to the Wizards, my top Google searches would immediately be voodoo dolls, pipe bombs, and horcruxes

Or I could just stand pat, and let Wall do the honor. Would only take about 5 games before LeBron decided to Crimson Tide his way through that locker room

You know what though?  Wall's got a little brother's love for LeBron.  He loves competing against him, but you can tell that LeBron is his hero.  He would love playing with him.  With pretty much any other player yeah, but I don't think Wall would fight LeBron for alpha status in the locker room.  The other thing is LeBron would do so much to facilitate Wall's scoring and take over a lot of the distribution duty, it'd be nice for Wall to get the green light to attack and score for a change.

The Wizards FO would totally bend over for LeBron too.  Ernie Grunfeld is... not a strong ego.  Nor a sheriff.  LeBron would probably end up running this team in title as well as fact by the end of a two or three year deal.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You know what though?  Wall's got a little brother's love for LeBron.  He loves competing against him, but you can tell that LeBron is his hero.  He would love playing with him.  With pretty much any other player yeah, but I don't think Wall would fight LeBron for alpha status in the locker room.  The other thing is LeBron would do so much to facilitate Wall's scoring and take over a lot of the distribution duty, it'd be nice for Wall to get the green light to attack and score for a change.

The Wizards FO would totally bend over for LeBron too.  Ernie Grunfeld is... not a strong ego.  Nor a sheriff.  LeBron would probably end up running this team in title as well as fact by the end of a two or three year deal.

Maybe. Power is tasty though. If there's no trouble in Paradise, there's no question y'all would be lethal

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Maybe. Power is tasty though. If there's no trouble in Paradise, there's no question y'all would be lethal

Some big issues though:

- We don't have the money for him.  Adding LeBron becomes a lot less sexy if you have to give up Beal or Porter to get him.

- If not Beal or Porter, then that means you have to salary dump Morris, Gortat, and Mahinmi (without taking back any money) to even begin to get into LeBron's neighborhood salary-wise.  Wall + Beal + Oubre + Porter + LeBron and a couple of min contract front court players is unbalanced, to put it mildly.  I'm not sure there is any way to make a team of three max contract wings and a max contract PG balanced.  At least with GS they've got a real PF in Draymond, plus Durant is a legit 7 foot rim protector.

I think we'd be really good if you could make the financial aspect work without giving up Beal or Porter, but we'd have a serious Achilles heel in the front court.  And yeah, there'd be a lot of off-court BS with LeBron turning the Wizards from a quiet mom and pop into a marquee franchise.

What the Wizards really need to take the next step is a center.  Cousins makes a lot of sense on paper because of that.  But I don't really trust him.  And the Wizards don't really need a scoring 5, they need defense.  Cousins's offensive production would be a luxury and his incredible laziness on defense would be a backbreaker.

A prime Dwight Howard would have been perfect for this team.  That's why I was kind of kicking around the idea of trading for Drummond in the Wizards thread at the beginning of the year.  But I don't know that the Pistons would consider that without giving up a really valuable asset in return.  Whiteside would have been great if he hadn't re-upped with Miami.  DeAndre Jordan would be great if the Clippers had gone into the tank after trading CP3, but they didn't, so he's not going to be available.  I guess Nerlens Noel makes sense and he's a FA this summer, but now you're in the realm of mediocre role players.

So I guess Cousins is it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Is it stupid for me to ask if the Wiz are more dangerous with Lebron or Cousins?

Yes.  Cousins is an excellent player and a dominant big, but Lebron is the best player of his generation and impacts games more than any other player regardless of position.   Add Lebron to the Wiz and it's an automatic ticket to the Finals.  No other player can give you that.

• Like 1

Stephen A just said he's starting to see "bust" when it comes to Ball. And Max needs to stop talking basketball. Talking about Lonzo has them near 500. Lonzo's not even the best rookie on the team.

With that being said, I think it's a little early to proclaim bust in his first 11 games, but I think LA definitely reached at #2 by drafting him.

His jumper form sucks.  He needs to rework his shot this summer.  He's going to have problems getting the jumper off under duress his whole career if he doesn't.

Lonzo is Jason Kidd without Jason Kidd's speed.  So yeah, not a very good player right now.  But he does have size and court vision.  If he can learn to shoot he can be a good player.  But no three ball and no mid range game makes a PG very easy to guard.  It could be years before he becomes a good enough shooter that the Lakers see a proper return on investment for the draft pick they gave up.

With Fultz's shoulder being jacked up, it's looking like I was wrong about Boston making a mistake by bailing on their #1 overall pick to get Tatum.  Tatum is healthy and has an NBA ready offensive game.  Although I do really like the idea of a healthy Fultz + Kyrie Irving backcourt.  It would have been a super rich man's version of what Portland has in Lillard & McCollum.

It's going to be fun in five years when Wizards fans are STILL coming up with Boogie Cousin trades.

It's also going to be fabulous when Kyrie Irving and the Celtics knocks the Wizards out in five in the playoffs. McQueen is going to storm the court to attack him and will get a year in jail.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

His jumper form sucks.  He needs to rework his shot this summer.  He's going to have problems getting the jumper off under duress his whole career if he doesn't.

Lonzo is Jason Kidd without Jason Kidd's speed.  So yeah, not a very good player right now.  But he does have size and court vision.  If he can learn to shoot he can be a good player.  But no three ball and no mid range game makes a PG very easy to guard.  It could be years before he becomes a good enough shooter that the Lakers see a proper return on investment for the draft pick they gave up.

With Fultz's shoulder being jacked up, it's looking like I was wrong about Boston making a mistake by bailing on their #1 overall pick to get Tatum.  Tatum is healthy and has an NBA ready offensive game.  Although I do really like the idea of a healthy Fultz + Kyrie Irving backcourt.  It would have been a super rich man's version of what Portland has in Lillard & McCollum.

Jason Kidd was a terrible shooter who extended his career by damn near a decade by becoming a great shooter.

Shooting is one thing that I think can be improved in the NBA. Guys don't suddenly become defenders or finishers or rebounders over an off-season. But they do come back with jump shots.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's also going to be fabulous when Kyrie Irving and the Celtics knocks the Wizards out in five in the playoffs. McQueen is going to storm the court to attack him and will get a year in jail.

You're a closet Celtics fan aren't you?  But you've been running from that for a long time because it makes you feel a little racist.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's going to be fun in five years when Wizards fans are STILL coming up with Boogie Cousin trades.

Jason Kidd was a terrible shooter who extended his career by damn near a decade by becoming a great shooter.

Shooting is one thing that I think can be improved in the NBA. Guys don't suddenly become defenders or finishers or rebounders over an off-season. But they do come back with jump shots.

I think lots of people actually become better defenders.  Defending is mostly about effort and knowledge and it seems to me a lot of players somewhere along the line figure things out in terms of gaining experience or understanding to win they actually have to buy into and commit to playing defense.

Rebounders and finishers are harder, but I'm not sure that you don't see people improve there vs. it is just hard to measure.

I also think you have to worry about a difference in generational comparisons.  Kidd came up playing in an era where the 3 point shot wasn't really emphasized so teaching himself to be a good shooter is more reasonable.  That isn't the case today.

Yes, some people become better shooters, but lots of people go though an NBA career and never become better shooters.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Ball is never going to be a good shooter, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're a closet Celtics fan aren't you?  But you've been running from that for a long time because it makes you feel a little racist.

I've always acknowledged being a Celtics fan growing up when the options were either the Lakers or Celtics. Probably because I was an awful white person and thought

I'm a basketball agnostic now. I did root for the Gilbert-led Wizards at one point.

But at this point, I largely cheer for whatever will make you the most unhappy.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I think lots of people actually become better defenders.  Defending is mostly about effort and knowledge and it seems to me a lot of players somewhere along the line figure things out in terms of gaining experience or understanding to win they actually have to buy into and commit to playing defense.

Rebounders and finishers are harder, but I'm not sure that you don't see people improve there vs. it is just hard to measure.

I also think you have to worry about a difference in generational comparisons.  Kidd came up playing in an era where the 3 point shot wasn't really emphasized so teaching himself to be a good shooter is more reasonable.  That isn't the case today.

Yes, some people become better shooters, but lots of people go though an NBA career and never become better shooters.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Ball is never going to be a good shooter, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

That's all fair, but I'm not going to look at a 20 year old rookie with holes in his game and say, "Well, that's what he's going to look like his entire career."

Except Anthony Bennett. I gave up on that dude about a month into his career.

Generally, I don't like rooting for guys to fail, and that's what's happening here. A lot of people are invested in Ball failing so they can publicly shame his dad.

This is very similar to what happened with Richard Williams. And if you know my posting history, you know where my thoughts are......