Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

15 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Fultz isn’t even starting. 

He's not starting, and he seems to be in the middle of completely rebuilding his shot.

I think he's going to be great, but this is the problem with 19 year old rookies. They aren't really fully-formed adults yet. He might wake up tomorrow and decide he wants to be a power forward or a baseball player or a carnival barker.

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Really going out on a limb there Steve, you sure?  I mean McConnell's pretty good.

My guess is that Brett Brown will start McConnell or Bayless and bring Fultz along slowly, and that this has no bearing on Fultz's future.  He's hurt right now and struggled through the summer, they're not going to throw him to the wolves.

- Philly ices their injured rookies and takes it slow with them

- Brown has a hard on for guys like McConnell and he trusts him

- You can make it work with Bayless at the one if you have Simmons run point

Philly's in a good spot this season if Embiid (big if) stays healthy and Simmons is good (smaller if) even if Fultz were to have his rookie season wiped out by injury.  They finally turned the corner and started getting the vet rotation players they needed in Redick, Bayless, and Amir Johnson.  Homegrown guys like McConnell and Covington have come into their own, giving their roster good balance.  Tons of untapped potential in Saric, Embiid, and Simmons that could start to be realized this season.  Okafor, Stauskas, and Anderson have upside too.

The defense is going to be bad when Embiid isn't on the court, they're thin on the wings, and they're still too young to be really good.  But they'll finish somewhere between 6 and 8 and make the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

His shooting form looks weird right now

His right shoulder is hurt.  He's not trying to change his shot, he's compensating for not being able to raise his right arm naturally.

It wouldn't shock me if he ends up getting shut down and having surgery.

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're sleeping on them.  That's a 42-44 win team.  Things are going to start coming together for them quickly.

By Thanksgiving, you'll be declaring Simmons a 7th man at best and Embiid the new Oden.

And then by Easter, you'll have them as the next dynasty.

Here's my thought: These young teams of the future NEVER turn into anything. I remember when the Cavaliers were a dynasty in waiting with Daughtery and Price and company. The Anderson-Coleman Nets. Then the Weber-Howard Bullets. I feel like the Clippers were always that team until the Griffin Era.

And then the Lakers sign a huge free agent, and win six straight titles......

I guess the Bulls and Spurs were home-grown, drafted teams. But, it seems like in those instances, they went from good to great in about 8 seconds.

I suppose the Warriors also qualify. But they also reinvented how basketball is played literally in one season. And absolutely no one thought, "This will soon be the greatest team in the history of the league" during the Mark Jackson years.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Look at last year's standings.  In the EC, Boston, Washington, Toronto, Milwaukee, Indy and Chicago were all built through the draft.  In the WC, Golden State, San Antonio, Memphis, Utah, OKC, and Portland were.  The only playoff teams built around trades and free agency were Cleveland (still drafted Irving and Thompson), LA (still drafted Griffin and Jordan), Houston (rotation was filled out by draft picks), and Atlanta (most key players were draft picks).

90% of the league's good teams are homegrown operations.  Denver and Minnesota and Philly that are going to take that next step this year too.

The Nets and Cavs and Bullets of the 90's aren't relevant to projecting the 76ers today.  The pieces of their team fit together so well and their key players have immense upside.  They're going to have a playmaker on the court with four shooters including a center who is a dominant two way player.  And Simmons is a brick wall like young LeBron and he plays such a smooth heads up game.  Their offense is going to shock people with how good it's going to be.

They remind me of when the Wizards started to put it together and make the leap to a playoff team.  They would have been a playoff team in 2013 if Wall hadn't missed the first half of the season, and the 76ers would have made it last season if Embiid hadn't gotten hurt.

Except Philly's young three man foundation has a lot more upside than what the Wizards had in 2014.  Plus they have Saric.

53 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Look at last year's standings.  In the EC, Boston, Washington, Toronto, Milwaukee, Indy and Chicago were all built through the draft.  In the WC, Golden State, San Antonio, Memphis, Utah, OKC, and Portland were.  The only playoff teams built around trades and free agency were Cleveland (still drafted Irving and Thompson), LA (still drafted Griffin and Jordan), Houston (rotation was filled out by draft picks), and Atlanta (most key players were draft picks).

Not one of the those teams in the East had a chance of doing anything, which is why the Celtics blew up their team.

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

Don't forget to add the "Run TMC" Warriors of the 90s of teams that had potential, but couldn't win it. 

They might have gotten there if they hand't dealt Chris Webber and Mitch Richmond away for a couple of bags of magic beans.   You rarely see a young 55 win team get totally blown up by management like that one was.

Edited by Predicto

Starting power forward Nikola Mirotic will miss Thursday's season opener and be sidelined indefinitely after getting punched in the face by Bobby Portis during a practice altercation.

The Bulls released a statement saying Mirotic suffered a concussion and "maxillary fractures" and that "surgery is likely required." One source said Mirotic had two broken bones after Portis connected and could miss up to three weeks. He has since been released from the hospital.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-nikola-mirotic-bobby-portis-fight-bulls-practice-20171017-story.html

I know players are expected to fight for a starting spot, but those boys in Chicago are taking it to a whole new level.