Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

This kind of argument is stupid, but - as I've said elsewhere - I'm a fan of stupid things.

This is kind of like the "Who would win: the Brady Patriots or the Joe Greene Steelers?"

Well, what sport are we playing? Can the Steelers mug the receivers like they did in the 70s?

Will Jordan and Pippen be allowed to manhandle the Warriors? Can they play zone?

The issue I have is that the Bulls often played 3 on 5 on offense, which you could get away with in the mid 90s but not today. If the Warriors are allowed to play zone and ignore Rodman and whatever stiff is at center for the Bulls, I see them winning easily. Any team today that attempts the Triangle just gets eaten alive by modern defenses.

Obviously Pippen and Jordan could compete in any era. And in theory, Rodman and Pippen could defend out to three point line. But it's hard to see Rodman constantly closing out on shooters instead of defending the post.

I actually think the historical team that could give this Warriors team fits is the 86 Celtics, because that team always had 5 offensive threats on the floor, even when it went to its bench (Walton and Wedman). It had a reasonable amount of shooting for a mid 80s team. And considering the fits that Mozgov gave this team in the playoffs, that front line would make small ball really unpalatable in a hurry.

But really, the problem always comes down to math. If the Warriors are scoring 3 points on a possession and you are scoring 2, it doesn't work out in the long run.

The '96 Bulls attempted 1349 3 pointers. The Warriors have attempted 2349 so far this year.

Better scorer sure, better player...I won't go that far just yet. 

Artest modeled his late game after Rodman. 

So >>>> doesn't apply at this point.

He a better player than Rodman, much better. Rodman never had a season as good as Draymond's last season.

Rodman was a defensive beast that prided himself on defense and rebounding.  There were games where he scored 20-30+ points, while few and not known to be a scorer, he could.  He simply chose to do the dirty work and clean up the glass and allow others that were better offensively do their jobs.

Hell, the man holds 5 of the top 8 rebounds per game percentage in a season, where he is ranked #1, #2, #5, #7 and #8.....

Rodman was a force, not sure how old some on here are, but it was fun watching him play ball.

Lakers balling hard tonight.  Hope they pull out the W, helps the Hornets seeding :D

Rodman was a beast defender, but Draymond is better.

If I told you that Draymond was a better rim protector than Draymond Rodman, you wouldnt believe me until you looked at the numbers and saw that Draymond averages more blocks than Draymond Rodman.

Rodman would often times doe hte Kevin Love thing and sacrifice some defending for rebounding.

And Draymond is a much better offensive player that we dont even consider it.

I put it like this, Draymond could play in the 80s and 90s. NBA teams may not use him the same way, although Anthony Mason was one of the first guys who played that way back in the early 90s, due to the fact that he can provide an offensive spark.

There is no way you can play Dennis Rodman in today's NBA. Not with him being an offensive liability and teams exploiting that.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Exactly how I read that. 

I don't know that he has seen enough film of Rodman and how tenacious and versatile he really was.

Again, I watched Rodman play. When he was lighter, he could guard perimeter guys well. When he added weight, he was guarding guys in the paint well. THere was never a point in his career when he could guard the 1-5 like its popularized.

Also, Draymond averaged 1.3 blocks a game last season and 1.4 blocks a game this season. Rodman never averaged a block a game. He a better rim protector than Rodman.

Draymond is so much better than Rodman that I am a bit incredulous that anyone can think otherwise outside of nostalgia. And I watched Rodman with the Pistons, Spurs, and Bulls. He was never a better bball player than Green.

Im surprised to see it wasnt sticksboi who started this discussion. No worries though. Im sure he'll poke his head in here when the playoffs start to tell us yet again how awesome it was to be the only person alive on planet Earth to see Jordan, Magic and Bird play. :D

• Like 1

Well we might get to see Draymond's incredible all around game this post season as the Warriors path to the finals will likely be through Griffin/Jordan and Aldridge/Duncan.  He should have ample opportunity to wow us by shutting down talented bigs and hopefull he doesn't spend so much time shooting under .400 like he did last year in the playoffs. 

Also, Draymond averaged 1.3 blocks a game last season and 1.4 blocks a game this season. Rodman never averaged a block a game. He a better rim protector than Rodman.

Draymond is so much better than Rodman that I am a bit incredulous that anyone can think otherwise outside of nostalgia. And I watched Rodman with the Pistons, Spurs, and Bulls. He was never a better bball player than Green.

The game changed.  You couldn't sit in the paint on defense like you can now.

The other thing is that Rodman wasn't a 5 very much, especially early in his career.  He played with Bill Laimbeer and James Edwards in Detroit, David Robinson and JR Reid in San Antonio, and various Cs in Chicago.

Your starting PF/C better be a better rim protector than a guy that is a PF/SF.

If you look at his early years in Detroit, he's actually listed as a SF.

Edited by PeterMP

Aldridge stole Draymond's lunch money when the Spurs beat the Warriors last time.

I'd be a little concerned about that if I was GS

Draymond made Aldridge quit social media after the first game.

Lets not do the recency thing.

The game changed.  You couldn't sit in the paint on defense like you can now.

The other thing is that Rodman wasn't a 5 very much, especially early in his career.  He played with Bill Laimbeer and James Edwards in Detroit, David Robinson and JR Reid in San Antonio, and various Cs in Chicago.

Your starting PF/C better be a better rim protector than a guy that is a PF/SF.

If you look at his early years in Detroit, he's actually listed as a SF.

if you read my earlier posts, I said all of this.

And in today's NBA, you cant have a guy who is nothing on offense.

if you read my earlier posts, I said all of this.

And in today's NBA, you cant have a guy who is nothing on offense.

Green gets more blocks because he has more opportunities to get more blocks.  He plays a position on a team where he is expected to get more blocks (at a similar point in his career/age) in an era where the rules allow him to more often be in a better position to get blocks.

It is a meaningless number in the context of the conversation.

If there is a place for the likes of DeAndre Jordan (on a good team as a starter and he was highly valued this offseason), I strongly suspect there would be a place for Dennis Rodman.

Edited by PeterMP