Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who else has tattoos?

GOSKINS_08

I have a Ranger Scroll on my chest, an eagle and American flag on one shoulder and a death tattoo with the name of one of my teams from a prior unit underneath of it.

I really want a curly w and a script R next.

. Going to get an Eagle, Globe and Anchor on my shoulder, and probably a cross.

Got that on my left shoulder. Got my buddys initials (the only marine from my unit we lost in the gulf in 91) above that. Got a marine corps bulldog too- actually done by a soldier wounded in Afghanistan a few years ago in Florida. Got an icthus fish on my right shoulder.

I have a Ranger Scroll on my chest, an eagle and American flag on one shoulder and a death tattoo with the name of one of my teams from a prior unit underneath of it.

Sounds like you're hooked :)

Like potato chips, man.

On my left arm, which is sleeved, I have a dragon on the upper half and a samurai fighting demons on the lower half. On my right arm I have a geisha half sleeve and my chest piece which connects both sides is foo dogs. Its an obsession and I would have quite a few more if I hadn't foolishly reunited with my ex-girlfriend for a year lol.

My left arm is just the one kanji sort of floating by itself.  I want to add to it to make it a more complete piece, but I'm not terribly creative and can't think of anything that would work well and look good.  Wish I knew an artist who could sketch up some ideas for me.

Anyone got any ideas to "complete" that?

What does the Kanji mean? I've drawn stuff that my friends have gotten turned into tattoos

Loosely "family". More literally it's along the line of "the people in your household".

. Going to get an Eagle, Globe and Anchor on my shoulder, and probably a cross.

Got that on my left shoulder. Got my buddys initials (the only marine from my unit we lost in the gulf in 91) above that. Got a marine corps bulldog too- actually done by a soldier wounded in Afghanistan a few years ago in Florida. Got an icthus fish on my right shoulder.

>I have a Ranger Scroll on my chest, an eagle and American flag on one shoulder and a death tattoo with the name of one of my teams from a prior unit underneath of it.

Sounds like you're hooked :)

Like potato chips, man.

Oh, I might steal that ichthys fish idea haha. 

If I get some sports ink, it would probably be something Redskins related - script R and/or 21 in the Skins colors.

I'm toying with the idea of getting my kids initials tattooed. 

My left arm is just the one kanji sort of floating by itself.  I want to add to it to make it a more complete piece, but I'm not terribly creative and can't think of anything that would work well and look good.  Wish I knew an artist who could sketch up some ideas for me.

I would search your area for tattoo artists online, look at their work, and contact somebody. Most (good) tattoo artists rather enjoy taking a vague idea and creating something cool. Give them a few basic concepts you want, and let them roll with it. It's the best way to go.

That's what I did with the tribal band on my upper right arm...I took a pic from a tattoo mag, we went over how to make it musical, and Alby did it.  I wouldn't let him take any pictures, because I didn't want it duplicated.  A couple years later, I ran into him at Lollapalooza, and he dragged me all over the place showing it off! 

That was my 2nd one, in '94.  The first one I got in the Navy in Jacksonville...it's a heart (on my heart) with an eighth-note popping out, and when I learned to play bass, a bass clef got added.

Third was a "biohazard" symbol on my right shoulder blade (Alby said, "Like the one on my can of used needles?"lol)

The fourth is a tribal between my shoulder blades, my best friend from HS & I got the same one, in the same place, at the same time.(The artist who did that one has passed away...RIP Tommy).

What does the Kanji mean? I've drawn stuff that my friends have gotten turned into tattoos

Loosely "family". More literally it's along the line of "the people in your household".

gotcha, what does that mean to you? 

A couple ideas . . . maybe create a band that goes around your forearm with the following patterns? They are Japanese weaving patterns. Would go along with the Kanji motif. Weaving, is a nice metaphor for family: interconnected, protective, all that good stuff.

triaxial_weaving_04.jpg

op-art-japanese-weave-pattern.jpg?w=917

If I was to start over with my tattoos, I'd most likely go Japanese style sleeves with a dragon on one arm and a ying yang balance type with koy on the other. I still might, but covering sleeves is a ton of work and mine have never really faded much. Maybe in another decade I'll get around to it.

I would like to get my sleeves finished, since I just need some little stars and filler stuff and they'd be done. Probably an hour or two. Maybe next time I head home or one of my friends come and visit. The last tattoo artist to visit me didn't want to work when he was here, just relax.

Bit of advice, when you get your knuckles done, get something simple or you'll be explaining it to every single person.

If I was to start over with my tattoos, I'd most likely go Japanese style sleeves with a dragon on one arm and a ying yang balance type with koy on the other. I still might, but covering sleeves is a ton of work and mine have never really faded much. Maybe in another decade I'll get around to it.

I would like to get my sleeves finished, since I just need some little stars and filler stuff and they'd be done. Probably an hour or two. Maybe next time I head home or one of my friends come and visit. The last tattoo artist to visit me didn't want to work when he was here, just relax.

Bit of advice, when you get your knuckles done, get something simple or you'll be explaining it to every single person.

I wouldnt mind getting part of my original half sleeve covered up.  Not that I hate it, just would love to redo that spot one day.  I will be going for elbow to elbow connected accross the chest and back. Im about half way there id say. lol.  All my work can be concealed under a t-shirt, which is by design as I am a civilian contractor for the DoD.  I havent even started on my left arm yet.  blank canvas.  I have a couple ideas for what I want on the right side of my breast plate piece, just need to decide on what i want to put down there.

My current tattoo artist got married in St. Lucia as well (before we knew each other), so there is familiarity with the island for him.  He brings some of his gear out there and all the locals are infatuated wit getting work done by him, so they offer crazy things in trade. 

I wouldnt mind getting part of my original half sleeve covered up.  Not that I hate it, just would love to redo that spot one day.  I will be going for elbow to elbow connected accross the chest and back. Im about half way there id say. lol.  All my work can be concealed under a t-shirt, which is by design as I am a civilian contractor for the DoD.  I havent even started on my left arm yet.  blank canvas.  I have a couple ideas for what I want on the right side of my breast plate piece, just need to decide on what i want to put down there.

My current tattoo artist got married in St. Lucia as well (before we knew each other), so there is familiarity with the island for him.  He brings some of his gear out there and all the locals are infatuated wit getting work done by him, so they offer crazy things in trade. 

Yeah, I think my friends are going to start coming down to tattoo. This island is heavily tattooed and there isn't really a good artist here, but Crusians are a cheap bunch. :ols:

I can't hide mine, as they go from knuckles to neck and I'm cool with that. I love my tattoos and have pretty good ones and they've all been done by close friends. 95% finished sleeves and an eagle across my chest, plus more. I've been in 3 artists weddings, so they just sort of happened. It was the faded old pin ups and eagles on old guys arms that I fell in love with, so that's what I've got. A lot of pin ups and old sailor type tattoos. I use to be a punk and a greaser, but now I'm a yoga doing, no shoe wearing, vegan eating, long haired, bearded island hippie and my tattoos don't exactly show that :ols:

I will say, there is a major difference in the love of having tattoos and the love of being tattooed. I am tattooed, can't hide it and don't want to. It's who I am.

I heard a joke that if you saw somebody covered in tattoos, whereing tight jeans and a beard, you'd cross the street, because he was probably an outlaw. Nowadays, you see that person and think, "oh, you must be an organic chef"  :ols:  So true.  :ols:

gotcha, what does that mean to you? 

A couple ideas . . . maybe create a band that goes around your forearm with the following patterns? They are Japanese weaving patterns. Would go along with the Kanji motif. Weaving, is a nice metaphor for family: interconnected, protective, all that good stuff.

Doesn't mean much greater than "family is important". :)  I like tattoos but I generally don't ascribe any deep meaning to them.  Family is family. The knight..well, the knight is my favorite chess piece. :D  Thats about as meaningful as it gets ^_^

You know the sashimono samurai warriors are often depicted with on their backs?  The signal flags?  I'm thinking it might be cool to have a samurai warrior dude on the underside of my forearm and the flag of the sashimono could encompass my current family symbol. That might look neat, but it'd be tough to size right.

Yeah, I think my friends are going to start coming down to tattoo. This island is heavily tattooed and there isn't really a good artist here, but Crusians are a cheap bunch. :ols:

I can't hide mine, as they go from knuckles to neck and I'm cool with that. I love my tattoos and have pretty good ones and they've all been done by close friends. 95% finished sleeves and an eagle across my chest, plus more. I've been in 3 artists weddings, so they just sort of happened. It was the faded old pin ups and eagles on old guys arms that I fell in love with, so that's what I've got. A lot of pin ups and old sailor type tattoos. I use to be a punk and a greaser, but now I'm a yoga doing, no shoe wearing, vegan eating, long haired, bearded island hippie and my tattoos don't exactly show that :ols:

I will say, there is a major difference in the love of having tattoos and the love of being tattooed. I am tattooed, can't hide it and don't want to. It's who I am.

I heard a joke that if you saw somebody covered in tattoos, whereing tight jeans and a beard, you'd cross the street, because he was probably an outlaw. Nowadays, you see that person and think, "oh, you must be an organic chef"  :ols:  So true.  :ols:

Yeah, I love being tattooed, but with the amount of conservative military soldiers, officers, and coworkers that I work around, is only responsible that I work on my less visible areas before I move on to finish my sleeves or anything o that nature. I have time, right now I make too much money for me to choose making a statement of my loves and or hobbies, over my monthly bank statement.  There is a female covered in ink with huge gauges in her ears, and anchors on each side of her collar.  I have moved up in paygrade twice while she hasn't yet, and we have been there similar amount of time, and have had similar productivity. Im not saying its how we look, but something in the back of my mind thinks it does.  Mybe its how others in the work space interact with us, I don't know.  I plan on getting more work on full sleeves and leg work, but im planning after im not a DoD employee anymore,  Once I open my own business or work entirely in the civilian sector. 

I really like Sailor Jerry stuff as well.  Im thinking pin ups on one of my legs, and I may even get coral implants on one as well.  I have a friend locally who does a lot of sailor jerry type work, but I haven't gotten done by him yet.... yet.  ;)

yeah, all my work besides my first arm tatt has been free.  Im friends with a couple artists, and you know how it goes hanging ou at the shop after they close up but a game is on, or a card game breaks out. lol.

At. Lucians are notoriously cheap as well, but when it comes to barter, my buddy has been offered some pretty cool stuff, not all of it legal. lol.  One guy over paid because he had a mix of Spanish and Russian and Canadian money (From tourists, the Canadian bills were see through plastic) and he didn't know exchange rates so the artist really ended up with a good tip that time.

My general rule of thumb is nothing below the wrist or above the collar-bone.  That way you can cover up with a nice suit if you need to for interviews, business meetings, etc.

Definitely a good point. I'm going back to serving in fine dining, and it would definitely be more difficult if my tattoos weren't all able to be covered. (I've worked at this restaurant before, so I know what's permitted.) Not having to wear a white shirt helps...can't see through the hideous yellow corn colored shirt,lol...I had to ask the owner why he changed from when I worked there before (black shirts & pants)& got no real reason. I look like **** in this color.

I think I may now be in the minority of people in this country that do not sport any tattoos. Thought about it at one time about 15 years ago, but never followed through. Not my thing. Looking at people who have them, I've come to the conclusion that 25% of them are cool to look at while 75% of them should either never gotten them or did something different.

nevermind

I think I may now be in the minority of people in this country that do not sport any tattoos. Thought about it at one time about 15 years ago, but never followed through. Not my thing. Looking at people who have them, I've come to the conclusion that 25% of them are cool to look at while 75% of them should either never gotten them or did something different.

nevermind

Nevermind what?  Tattoos are cool to look at.  I just won't ever consider getting any at this time or ever really.  Most tatoos are average to bad.  There is very little in the way of tattoos that I would consider great work. Maybe my percentages are off a bit, but that's my own view of how I see it.

nevermind
Nevermind what? Tattoos are cool to look at. I just won't ever consider getting any at this time or ever really. Most tatoos are average to bad. There is very little in the way of tattoos that I would consider great work. Maybe my percentages are off a bit, but that's my own view of how I see it.
As much as I love tattoos, I have to agree with you, to a point anyway. I think that's the case because most people don't take the time and effort to plan the design and find the right artist to execute it. Even then, the tattoo doesn't always turn out as well as envisioned. However when done well, a great tattoo is a really beautiful work of art.

I don't have any and I don't plan on getting any. I don't judge people with tats but I'm not a fan of tats on your head, face, or neck area.

I know several tattoo artists and I would strongly caution people from getting any foreign language that you can't read tattooed on you. I know that tattoo artists will give the wrong words on purpose. A person might want to get "Live Free" in Chinese and the tattoo artist will give you "I'm a racist" in Chinese.

The tattoo artists that I know don't purposely give people the wrong words but they have told me about other "artists" that have done this.

1.  This was my first tattoo, done by little sister with a jail house gun (broken pen, giant needle, and cd motor, ya, she was just starting and needed a guinea pig).  It's Renegade7 in graffiti

post-117615-0-65317300-1371526959_thumb.jpg

2.  This second one is the only poem I ever got published written all the way around my arm.  My Brother-in-Law drew a line all the way around my arm while I highlighted the parts of the poem in my lap he had already written in his own free-write handwriting.  It's about how I lost my way and God helped me find it back.  It's written upside down so that if I ever forget it (know it word by word), I can easily sit down and read again whenever I want.

post-117615-0-64630700-1371527012_thumb.jpg

3.  So no matter how successful I become, I never forget where I came from.  Thus always to tyrants is a good way of looking at things, and it reminds me of home (or at least the concept of it, moved a lot)

post-117615-0-81184100-1371527024_thumb.jpg

4.  And, yes, Sean Taylor was and always will be my favorite Redskin.  He gave his all for my favorite team (the one I root for to help deal with the **** that was my life getting to this point) and then died defending what absolutely matters most in this world: Family.

post-117615-0-74338000-1371527031_thumb.jpg

I only have 4, so if I do get more, they have to mean as much to me on a personal level as these do.  No regrets, and if I do bonk my head and get amnesia, I'll at least have an idea of who I was and have something to work with, Bourne Identity style. : )

nevermind
Nevermind what? Tattoos are cool to look at. I just won't ever consider getting any at this time or ever really. Most tatoos are average to bad. There is very little in the way of tattoos that I would consider great work. Maybe my percentages are off a bit, but that's my own view of how I see it.
I was actually agreeing with you dude. Only I think you were a too generous with your percentages.

nevermind
I was actually agreeing with you dude. Only I think you were a too generous with your percentages.

nevermind

nevermind

Ah, OK.  My bad.  Read into something that wasn't there.  No problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive got a handful myself. Most are just pieces of my 33 year life where every time I look at them Im brought back to a certain time.

Ive got half sleeves on both arms but they still need filling in. I might leave them as is, but none of mine are exposed and covered up for work.

Archived