Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Alfred Morris vs. Trent Richarson: Which RB reigns supreme?

In my world, any way you slice it, 1613 yards with 13 TDs is a complete back. That is the third highest total ever for a rookie. Sorry he didn't have 500 yards recieving, but I'll take the guy that smokes the Cowboys to win the division with 200 yards and 3 TDs in week 17 even tough his QB has one good leg.

This "system" crap the haters keep talking about is ridiculous. Other than TD and Portis, name a back that had sustained success in Shanahan's system? Reuben Droughs had 1240 yards for Shanahan, then the very next year he had 1000+ for the Browns. Something Richardson has yet to do.

Or... you could actually read what I'm saying and comment on it and have a conversation.

Just what we do here most of the time :)

Hail!

Me personally i believe Trent is more complete package as a running back, but i believe Morris has better instincts as well as a better feel for the game as far as running the ball. Trent will give you those wow plays every once in a while, but Morris is special with the ball in his hands he may not out run you ,or shake you but if its 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 I have no doubht Morris will get you those yards im not going to get ahead of myself but i see a HOF in Morris (hopefully) not Richardson, and that's not being a homer that's just being a fan of football

First time post

Welcome to the board. I love how you said you weren't going to get ahead of yourself then immediately said you saw the HoF for Morris lol.

I do agree with you about Morris having better instincts. At least I think that's what he showed last year but I obviously didn't watch as much of TR as I did Morris. I think TR could be every bit as effective in if not better in our offense with our team around him though for what it's worth.

In my world, any way you slice it, 1613 yards with 13 TDs is a complete back. That is the third highest total ever for a rookie. Sorry he didn't have 500 yards recieving, but I'll take the guy that smokes the Cowboys to win the division with 200 yards and 3 TDs in week 17 even tough his QB has one good leg.

This "system" crap the haters keep talking about is ridiculous. Other than TD and Portis, name a back that had sustained success in Shanahan's system? Reuben Droughs had 1240 yards for Shanahan, then the very next year he had 1000+ for the Browns. Something Richardson has yet to do.

One could argue that "system" makes any player. No one should short change Alfred for landing in a system that fits his skillset. It's the perfect marriage. The system wouldn't have been as smoothly operated without Alfred at the running back position. And Alfred, in another system, may or may not have been as productive.

I don't know why people believe that anyone who mentions that is a "hater" or is short changing a guy. I know I'm not. Coach Shanahan found a player who fit the EXACT skillset we needed to operate the zone, and the player is helping to make the system just as much, if not more, than the system makes the player.

Regardless of Alfred's extremely amazing year, people who short change Trent Richardson are a bit short sighted as well. We know what it was like having to rely on a running back to carry the load every year. It's not easy to have a solid YPC and get the ground game working when there is very little threat in any other area of the field. It's not an excuse, it's not saying Trent is more talented... It's fact.

Cleveland, quite literally, had no other offensive pieces.

That's not to say that Alfred only excelled because he had pieces. I'm sure, with his vision and his ability to drop his shoulder and break a tackle that he would have done quite well regardless. But he certainly had pieces to compliment him. That's why it's silly to compare the two in any way. Two entirely different systems, two entirely different situations, two entirely different backs at this stage.

I love watching Morris play, and I too would take him over Richardson at this point. But Richardson deserves a little bit of slack for his season, and Morris deserves all the praise in the world for his.

One could argue that "system" makes any player. No one should short change Alfred for landing in a system that fits his skillset. It's the perfect marriage. The system wouldn't have been as smoothly operated without Alfred at the running back position. And Alfred, in another system, may or may not have been as productive.

I don't know why people believe that anyone who mentions that is a "hater" or is short changing a guy. I know I'm not. Coach Shanahan found a player who fit the EXACT skillset we needed to operate the zone, and the player is helping to make the system just as much, if not more, than the system makes the player.

My comments weren't directed at any particular person on this board, moreso at the Interwebz en masse. I don't think you're a hater at all for bringing up the obvious. Two common themes farted from the mouths of haters (yes, the Redskins, RG3, and The Butler have tons of haters) include Morris is a total product of Shanahan, and isn't special at all, and RG3 is a one trick pony that has been figured out and his career will end this upcoming season (RGKnee, IRG3, et cetera et cetera).

Morris has great vision and trucks people. Two tools Shanahan knows how to use. I agree, it's a perfect marriage.

While I think the world of Alfred Morris as a man and as a player, I don't think at the end of the day he's going to be a better back than Trent Richardson.

Out of all of the Alabama running backs who've come out over the last several years, I think Richardson is far and away the most talented. 

Richardson didn't have a quarterback.  Teams could stack the line on him and try to prevent him from beating them.  Both Cousins and Robert are better than anything Cleveland brought out behind Center last year (and pretty much ever/since Kosar or Graham).  I liken it to when Portis was here and he had Brunnell and JCam handing him the ball... the team went as CP went.

This is not an indictment on AlMo or what his place in Redskins history/lore will be when all is said.  But I think from a talent perspective it's Trent Richardson.  It's close, but it's still Trent right now.  Morris can still get better, though.  I think Richardson is pretty much a finished product.

That's cool, all the experts, etc can give Richardson the better talent grade all day, and we'll watch Morris run for more yards than him every year.

Sure you can use the QB excuse for T-Rich but there's a guy named Adrian Peterson who had Christian Ponder who I feel isn't the future in Minnesota, and if they keep him, by the time he reaches his prime, all the talent in Minnesota will be old and gone.

Christian Ponder 16 300 483 62.1 2935 6.1 183.4 18 12 65 32 184 81.2 7

Brandon Weeden 15 297 517 57.4 3385 6.5 225.7 14 17 71 28 186 72.6 6

I guess one could argue that the Browns were playing from behind more but cmon in todays age of football that favors the passing game, throwing for less than 3k yards if unheard of. Especially when you started 16 games.

From a WR department, besides Harvin, Minnesota had no real WR threats, you could argue the Browns were better all around.

Lets not forget Cleveland put a TON of money and high draft picks into the OLINE. (Joe Thomas signing that 6 year 90 plus mill deal)

That being said, Peterson ran for 2097 yards, Richardson didn't break 1k

Gimmie Morris.

"Morris has used his unrefined running motion to break more tackles than any other player in the NFL this season, 22. That's seven more than the next-highest tackle-breaker. He ranks third in yards after contact with 795 and ranks second in the league with 1,613 rushing yards."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323874204578217832886427270.html

I'll take the best power back in the league on my fav team thank you very much.

this had nothing to do with Shanny's scheme, RG3's threat as a runner, none of that. these are pretty telling stats and the reason why he was a 1,600 yard rusher and not a 900 yard rusher ... amazing. after seeing this, it's pretty obvious who is the better back, as of right now. 

If it makes a difference, if you offered me Trent Richardson for Alfred Morris straight up to play on this team, i would say no 100 out of 100 times. The only back i would trade for would be AP. To me, Alfred Morris is the 2nd best back in the league and that is only because he is behind a freak of nature. This kid has vision, power, agility, and deceptive quickness. Richardson may have more physical ability, but i don't believe he has the vision that Morris has, and that is one of the most underrated aspects for a running back. Moves arent everything. The ONLY issue is he is not much of a threat as a receiver, but thats what 3rd down backs are for. 

I love Alfred Morris, and I think as time goes on he'll add more to his repetoire, but purely on a theoretical basis, Trent Richardson is the more complete back right now. That being said, I love Alfred Morris and the way he fits our scheme.

When it comes to Trent, I think people need to realize that Cleveland's o-line is probably the softest bunch of run blockers in the league. As great as the Browns are as pass protecting, that's how terrible they are at run blocking. I've never seen an o-line have such a talent disparity between the two, but the Browns generating ZERO push in the run game for Trent last year. Richardson made a lot of stuff in the backfield happen by himself, with injured ribs, with a bad quarterback, looking at 8 man boxes.

It's not so much Alfred Morris plays in a system that always creates good backs (a lot of the backs people bring up to bring down Alfred are one year wonders who couldn't maintain the production), as Alfred had a lot less factors to deal with to be productive. For all intents and purposes,Richardson WAS the Browns offense.

I think I'd take Alfred now, hindsight being 20/20 and all, but don't sleep on Richardson.

The two backs have their similarities but Richardson is a more complete back compared to Morris. He has good vision, he has good hands, he's really an all-around good back. But he didn't run with a chip on his shoulder like Morris did, possibly because of his ribs and possibly because of expectations. Possibly he just isn't as tough as Morris. I think, considering Richardson's injuries, it's unfair to compare the two at this stage, but Morris clearly is the RB you want if it's the 4th quarter and you need to bury your opponent, and with a change of pace back Morris will be even better.

If you throw the question of value into the mix, it's not even close.

Given that it was their rookie season, there really is no clear answer on who is the better back or will be a better back.  You can't place too much stock based on their rookie year.  Morris came into a much better situation -- great QB, friendly rushing attack system, and an established coaching staff.  Richardson's situation is the complete opposite.  Talent-wise, Richardson is clearly the best in the 2012 draft class.  However, I really don't know if he will live up to the hype and expectation of being a 3rd overall pick and face of the franchise, especially for a team that is not known for maximizing young talents like the Browns. 

"Morris has used his unrefined running motion to break more tackles than any other player in the NFL this season, 22. That's seven more than the next-highest tackle-breaker. He ranks third in yards after contact with 795 and ranks second in the league with 1,613 rushing yards."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323874204578217832886427270.html

I'll take the best power back in the league on my fav team thank you very much.

I really love that!! He even said, he always makes the first guy miss, which I love! Thanks for that link!

I'd rather have Morris.

Richardson is so good he averaged 3.6 YPC. Evan Royster could do that.

I'm not sure why people keep trying to beat this drum. It's incredibly difficult to produce, in any capacity, with Brandon Weeden as your quarterback and a receiving corps of: Travis Benjamin, Greg Little, Josh Gordon and Ben Watson.

To put all of that in perspective: Brandon Weeden may lose his job to Jason Campbell this year, who while in DC, many wanted to string up and tie to a pole and flog unmercilessly with a flip flop sandal.

Trent Richardson had two less receptions than the Browns leading pass catcher (Little). Little had 53. Richardson had 51.

Josh Gordon, the Browns top receiver yards wise only had 805 yards.

Gordon and Little have very decent futures, but they weren't scaring anyone last year with Weeden at the helm.

Weeden completed just 58% of his passes.

That offense was VERY young, and VERY unthreatening.

Let's not mock Richardson in order to prop up Morris. Morris doesn't need us to do that.

Richardson is a very good back that is in an evolving system and an evolving team. Morris landed at the right time, in the right situation and kicked some ass.

While I think the world of Alfred Morris as a man and as a player, I don't think at the end of the day he's going to be a better back than Trent Richardson.

Out of all of the Alabama running backs who've come out over the last several years, I think Richardson is far and away the most talented. 

Richardson didn't have a quarterback.  Teams could stack the line on him and try to prevent him from beating them.  Both Cousins and Robert are better than anything Cleveland brought out behind Center last year (and pretty much ever/since Kosar or Graham).  I liken it to when Portis was here and he had Brunnell and JCam handing him the ball... the team went as CP went.

This is not an indictment on AlMo or what his place in Redskins history/lore will be when all is said.  But I think from a talent perspective it's Trent Richardson.  It's close, but it's still Trent right now.  Morris can still get better, though.  I think Richardson is pretty much a finished product.

So by your logic if Richardson was playing for Florida Atlantic and Morris for Bama Richardson would have been drafted higher than Morris?  If Morris proved one thing last year it was that if you play of a pathetic team (Florida Atlantic went 1-10 I believe in his last year there) there is no way anyone in the NFL would consider you as a top prospect no matter how good your are.

If Morris proved one thing last year it was that if you play of a pathetic team (Florida Atlantic went 1-10 I believe in his last year there) there is no way anyone in the NFL would consider you as a top prospect no matter how good your are.

That's complete and utter BS.

2008 Draft: Leodis McKelvin (round 1, pick 11) from Troy; Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (round 1, pick 16) from Tennessee State; Chris Johnson (round 1, pick 24) from East Carolina

2009 Draft: Louis Delmas (round 2, pick 1) from Western Michigan

2012 Draft: Eric Fisher (round 1, pick 1) from Central Michigan, DJ Hayden (round 1, pick 12) from Houston

Teams miss talent all the time. Hell, Brady got passed over just as much as Morris did.

Here's a question - would you trade RG3 and Morris for Weeden, Richardson, and 2 1st rounders? Holmgren didn't think RG3 was worth the extra #2 that he gave up anways to move up to get Richardson.

I'd like to see a comparison of Cousins and Weeden 5 years from now. I bet Cousins has a better career.

I bet this same sort of comparison could've been made between Cooley and KW2 after 2004 or 2005, with mediots and posters predictably declaring that KW2's talent would make him the better player in the long run....which it did not.

Archived