Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The phrase - "Thank you to those who Defend our Freedom", why do people say it?

GoSkins561

Here is the thing. If you joined the Army or Marines in the past 10 years, you KNOW you are going to be deployed for a year to Afghanistan and/or previously Iraq. So reguardless of how affluent your family is or is not. It does take a certain amount of personal courage to raise your hand. These less affluent kids know full well when they raise their hand they are going to deploy to a combat zone and possibly have to fight and lose their life. So yes, I salute these "poor unfortunate souls" who because of lack of options decided to serve their country. Once again they are doing something that most are not willing to for whatever reason.

I don't know why people look at the military as a poor person's option. I used it to get me to were I am now, and I am doing better than 90% of Americans. I never would have gotten into the line of work I am in without military service. The military can actually be a smart person's option as so many oppertunities open up with service. I finished my Bachelors and Masters free of charge thanks the my military service. How many of those 95% that went off to college are saddled with student loans? How many finished college? How many got their masters? I had a 20 year old solder who got seperated due to ankle he broke jumping out of planes. He walked into a 60k/year job when he got out. Not to many college kids making that kind of money. Case in point, the new GI Bill. You can serve your 4 years, get a job skill (depending on MOS), take some classes in school, develope self discipline, get out of the army and get PAID to go to school Depending on where your school is, you can get 2,000 a month (depending on location) in addition to having all of your classes paid for and most likely have NO student loans. Or you can be a  bum, live off your parents, have them pay for your health insurance, saddle them with debt, and ask them for beer money.

Only .5% of American's have worn the unifrom. The military has progressed from the days of just taking anyone who can pass a phyiscal. They need smart capable service members who can handle the advanced technology and can follow orders to accomplish the mission. They do not need the dregs and cast offs and criminals of society.

I am not saying that they should be worshipped, but they should be respected for doing what 99.5% of American's won't do. They have a hard job, low pay, crappy working conditions. Is it really to much to say thank you for your service and protecting our freedoms that we enjoy as American's?

I am not saying that they should be worshipped, but they should be respected for doing what 99.5% of American's won't do. They have a hard job, low pay, crappy working conditions. Is it really to much to say thank you for your service and protecting our freedoms that we enjoy as American's?

Your'e right, I don't think it matters how we thank our troops it's the thought that counts, i'm just not sure a lot of thought is put into this phrase.

Your'e right, I don't think it matters how we thank our troops it's the thought that counts, i'm just not sure a lot of thought is put into this phrase.

I agree with you. Your question is actually a good one. Maybe people should take a few moments and think about what freedom means to them. It has become kind of a catch phrase or an automatic response.

Again, nobody is saying they don't want to say thank you.  But the "defending your freedoms" part is where I and others maybe draw the line.  Also, I remember after 9-11, the term "hero" was thrown around so loosely to cops and firemen, even if they had nothing to do with rescuing anyone in DC or NY.  It was overkill. 

I usually attend 2 or 3 Redskin games every year and it seems there is always something honoring military.  I personally think it's overkill.  Like I've been saying, I have no problem with someone thanking them for their service as my Grandfather and Father both served in WW2 and Vietnam, but I think some of the things are excessive.  it's just my opinion, agree or not.  I know that it will be met with alot of scrutiny, but that's how I feel.  My grandfather is deceased, but you can imagine how my Dad feels about all the "love" this current crop of troops are getting.  Maybe that's why I feel the way I feel, taking up for him.  I love living in the US, I try not to take things for granted, I sing the Star Spangled Banner, take my hat off and wouldn't want to live anywhere else (well, maybe Switzerland- loved that country). 

I think the majority of people that say it think, "by killing terrorists overseas our troops are "defending our freedom", I don't want to buy this idea"  I asked my wife yesterday, why do people say "thank you for defending our freedom", she really didn't have a great answer.  Your answer makes sense, I just don't think this is why people say it.

I think his answer essentially, is what everyone is trying to convey when they thank a soldier/veteran for defending their freedom. I appreciate your question though for the thought provoking it provides. I hope that people that do say this line actually do reflect on and understand what it means though I am sure that is not the case for everyone.

My default "pro-military" positions/affections remain. That doesn't stop me from agreeing with what twa said about those who join. I learned long ago is that while what a person chooses to do is obviously significant, why you're doing it has great relevance in certain evaluations. Motive often matters, even in what appears to be the "best of deeds" to an observer.

I.E., just recently in one of my circles, a guy did a really ****ty thing to a buddy that actually ended up benefiting my buddy enormously. But when my buddy got a hold of the guy he appropriately thrashed him instead of thanking him (to the initial confusion and outrage of a few folks).

Many people join the military for fairly mundane (and sometimes far less than "noble") reasons. That's a reality. Speaking to the truth should never be "trouble" in any matter if it's done reasonably and appropriately. 

Many I've personally talked to also voice they are well aware of the risks, yet really see the odds of them actually getting hurt in combat as small enough, but love the idea of all the training and weapons handling they're going to get and all the bennies they feel come with the job for the rest of their live if they play it right.These do tend to be the younger and newer guys IME. 

I do have active duty friends who read here, and have talked about how they and many of their fellows don't like the "type" of presentation (anywhere) where it seems like some people in the service keep "celebrating themselves" or are "wearing it on their sleeve" and actively seeking recognition/respect/appreciation, even in the form of asking it for "all brothers and sisters." 

I know from experience that even discussing these things can evoke bristling (big time in some cases) and I've see a few heated arguments even among active military personnel on opposing sides of that matter. And that goes back to as a teenager during the Vietnam era right up to today. There's no shortage of active personnel who know what I speak of and how far these concepts go back in history.

There are many vets/active duty actually believe they deserve absolutely no special "social" treatment beyond that of  any other citizen. And if they get it, fine, most appreciate the niceness. Others would rather not even be in that "limelight" at all, and not because they're "disturbed" in some way about their experience. Those are the guys I respect the most---the ones who insist there's nothing special about them for what they did and that they should bet treated just like any other person---on the basis of their normal conduct and character.

One guy I admire a great deal is someone I knew for well over a year before I even found out that he was a retired naval officer. Yet I knew everything about him and his current career since he talked about it openly. But never once in that time did I hear him say anything about about his military service, even though it would have been perfectly normal to do so in many conversations. The humility (which is how I took it) was impressive.

Now I, and others, may choose to treat military personnel special as a default (i.e. minus reason not to), or do so no matter what, or do so just at times. But that's my personal choice, not an "obligation" to me. And while I am strongly against any gratuitous disrespect being shown by anybody to those who serve/have served, I do not hold others to some obligatory display of lionization or anything similar. If ya feel like it great, if you don't fine (under most circumstances).

I think, on this forum, we benefit from the quality (if you will) of the military personnel we have as part of our community, just as we benefit from having fine representatives of other fields in our society. My thanks, being specific to here and now, to those posters with military service under their belts who share them with us.

And sacase...(and you know I love you  :P ), playing off a comment you made to make another point, I know people who do types of work that benefits a great number of others for a comparatively modest level of pay and limited bennies and are also types of work that "95% of Americans wouldn't do." You just don't hear about them that often unless you count when it's folks griping.

Good discussion you guys.

I have a question as my answer has already been stated to the original OP...

What do you guys mean by the "Worship" thing? Obviously that's an exaggeration, but what are some of the "over appreciation" you guys have witnessed?

The argument that we are defending ourselves when we go abroad to fight or help others maintain/win their freedom is valid if not correct.  There is also an excellent argument that the welfare state is dependent on the warfare state.  Of course, in that case, if promotion of the welfare state is important to freedom, a warfare state is thus essential to a free state.

My grandfather wanted to be a career Navy man coming out of WW2.  My grandmother did not want him to, so he got a job at Pepco where he retired from.  He wanted one of his grandsons to join the Navy and pushed heavily for me.  I had no desire.  it wasn't something I could see myself doing.  I was lucky that during the 80s, my parents were able to pay for my college.  They aren't rich, but my Mom babysat about 8-10 kids during the day and after school and that payed for my college.  My Dad's job with the Federal Gov't paid the bills.  He worked at Andrews AFB in Water and Waste/Plumbing.  I can't work with my hands, so tech school was out.  It was college for me.  My grandfather even tried to persuade me to enter OTS after college, but I wasn't in to it. 

Meh. I don't spend a lot of time wondering why people say it,(Read: None). I understand,for the most part,the motivation and intent. I like it better than the alternative,(really didn't like people calling my dad a "baby killer" when I was growing up).

Okay, i'm going to ask another question, how many of our young men and women join the military with the notion they are "fighting to defend our freedom"? 

Who knows? Would have to ask them. It would be rather presumptuous to assume to answer for them. Speaking for me only,I understood when I joined that one day I may be asked to go some conflict or another to "fight for my fellow Americans freedom",(or someone else's). Part of the "deal" when serving. 

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

it would seem a central theme....unless you think the constitution enslaves us

The phrase really bugs you for some reason, perhaps you should explore why 

Damn, this is such a sensative subject,    I know your son was recently deployed, so I want to make sure you and others understand that I'm not trying to discount any Service Member who has served or is currently serving.

Maybe it's just "facebook" and how everything seems so generic and brainless, I saw tons of "freedom isn't free"  pics yesterday and comments like "Thank you to those who defend our freedom" and it got me thinking of the actual sacrifice that is made for others freedom but I'm leaning more in the direction of these sacrifices and constant hardships that our service members families need to deal with have really nothing to do with actually defending our freedom.

This is one of the pics I am talking about .

free.jpg

that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

I lean that way myself at times of sacrifices and hardships Goskins, questioning those lawfully entrusted to make the choices for them might be a better direction though.

duty,honor and sacrifice at the direction of our leaders.....freedom is not free,and they give up theirs

Damn, this is such a sensative subject,    I know your son was recently deployed, so I want to make sure you and others understand that I'm not trying to discount any Service Member who has served or is currently serving.

Maybe it's just "facebook" and how everything seems so generic and brainless, I saw tons of "freedom isn't free"  pics yesterday and comments like "Thank you to those who defend our freedom" and it got me thinking of the actual sacrifice that is made for others freedom but I'm leaning more in the direction of these sacrifices and constant hardships that our service members families need to deal with have really nothing to do with actually defending our freedom.

This is one of the pics I am talking about .

free.jpg

Freedom isn't free, dude. This thread is starting to get annoying, and nitpicking this "are they really fighting for our freedom" crap is starting to make me wish you'd just come out and say what's really on your mind...

One thing that I would like to see changed.  I worked for a hospital for 10 years up until 2011.  I used to see all the patients that would come in without insurance and try and apply for programs or benefits for them to help pay the hospital bill or get them some kind of coverage.  We used to get veterans of all ages in there. 

I would really like to see all former military be eligible for Tricare for Life at no cost to them.  As long as you had an honerable discharge.  Tricare for Life would help alot of former vets out who may be out of work.  As long as you served your entire term (or were discharged on a medical), were discharged honorably they should get insurance coverage for life.

Freedom isn't free, dude. This thread is starting to get annoying, and nitpicking this "are they really fighting for our freedom" crap is starting to make me wish you'd just come out and say what's really on your mind...

Man I agree. The phrase has deep meaning to me and my family for many reasons. I truly believe that these men and women are in the military for some seriously unselfish reasons. Willing to put their very lives on the line at the call of their government and country. Just because you do not like, or fully understand the reasoning as to why they are in the line of fire (and you never will know all the reasons, ever!) doesn't discount the sacrifice that they willingly make!

Keep the fight over there to keep it away from here.

Maybe you are one of those who said '**** no, not me'. If so, that is your choice, but please, stop bashing those that said 'ok'.

I am also not in the 'hero worship' category, but I highly respect and appreciate those that volunteered and answered this nations call to duty! 

I won't nitpick and worry about the underlying meaning of things when it comes to young men and women who risk there lives so the rest of us don't have too.  They sacrifice quite a bit and I honestly don't think I could do it so I'm perfectly fine with saying thank you, no matter the context.  This is just my opinion and I don't think anyones opinion in this thread is wrong.

if you really dont think our servicemembers 'defend our freedom', i would suggest your terms and definitions are flawed. 

question for you, if our servicemembers didnt exist- if our armed forces didnt exist, who would 'defend our freedom' then?

Keep the fight over there to keep it away from here.

Really?  I find this thought process backwards, these people that are dying are peoples kids, so prove to me how being in Afghanistan is "keeping the fight" over there? 

You don't think the people of Afghanistan have a problem with American soldiers kicking down their doors and taking away their firearms?  All I can say is, put yourself in their shoes, if someone was kicking down your door, would you shoot them?   The hard part of this, is taking of the Red White and Blue glasses.  With that said, I think we as Americans need to support our troops no matter what, they're just doing what they are told, hopefully our leaders don't actually think we need to "keep the fight over there".

if you really dont think our servicemembers 'defend our freedom', i would suggest your terms and definitions are flawed. 

question for you, if our servicemembers didnt exist- if our armed forces didnt exist, who would 'defend our freedom' then?

Since world War II, has the purpose of our military to actually defend our shores?    or do we spend more time overseas, Defending the freedom of others?

There hasn't been an American soldier in 68 years who has fallen in action which arguably was directly protecting my and everyone else's freedom.

It doesn't mean disrespect of the military or a lack of compassion and understanding for the soldiers of our country that I would say something like that. I support the troops by wishing they were all at home, living in peace, and not risking their lives overseas to further political interests.

Since world War II, has the purpose of our military to actually defend our shores?    or do we spend more time overseas, Defending the freedom of others?

do you really think defending our shores is done best on our shores?

I like that we have helped some others to have freedom and relative peace

i'm a bit puzzled by who would not be someone's kids though.....trick question?

Archived