Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The phrase - "Thank you to those who Defend our Freedom", why do people say it?

GoSkins561

Usually on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, we see the phrase "Thank you to all those who serve and defend my Freedom", I'm not trying to discount anything our soldiers do abroad, as a matter of fact, I have lots of good friends who have fought in Iraq and Trashcanistan,  but I can honestly say I do not understand this phrase.especially with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I see our troops as Men and Women who defend the Liberty of others, especially during World War I, World War II, not necasarily those who "Defend our Freedom" because I find it highly unlikely that the "Super Powers" of the world would ever have the ability to invade the continental United States.

So can someone please explain why people say this?

Why do people say it? Because it makes them feel better to say something and they probably don't know what else to say.

There are multiple good Memorial Day and Memorial/Veteran's Day articles on Washingtonpost.com if you are interested. 

Not sure how old you are.  But it was only 12 years ago that a non superpower did "invade" our country.  Maybe people are thinking about that as well.

Why do people say it? Because it makes them feel better to say something and they probably don't know what else to say.

There are multiple good Memorial Day and Memorial/Veteran's Day articles on Washingtonpost.com if you are interested. 

Not sure how old you are.  But it was only 12 years ago that a non superpower did "invade" our country.  Maybe people are thinking about that as well.

I have read a few articles today, and watched some interesting videos, they got me thinking, also I wouldn't say our country was invaded, we were attacked. 

I have read a few articles today, and watched some interesting videos, they got me thinking, also I wouldn't say our country was invaded, we were attacked. 

That is why I put it in "quotes"

Well YouTube is full of videos...and no doubt some of them are interesting.

Good thing we got a line about military worship in this thread when the question was about thanking military...on Memorial Day no less. 

I do agree with the sentiment. I also think the military worship in this country is out of control and unhealthy.

Those who serve should be worthy of our appreciation. That's it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the way Vietnam Vets were treated after they came home. Calling them baby killers and spitting on them was pretty friggin' disgraceful. Maybe we, as a nation, didn't want to repeat that and we made a violent swing to the other end.

I agree it can be unhealthy, just as the inverse is/was.

I've seen both and prefer the present excess 

defending our freedom is in the job description and I do appreciate those that do so in all ways....not just in the military

I prefer simply to thank them for their voluntary service  (despite describing it as the closest thing to slavery allowed here to my kids )

I don't know, when I give thanks to service members I'm thinking of those (like my deceased relatives) who fought in the past and those relatives and friends who continue to fight today.

Don't think it's a big deal, people are just trying to show their appreciation for the sacrifice soldiers and their familes make for us.

Rates of suicide, alcoholism, fatal car accidents and incarceration are
far higher for veterans than for most of the civilian population. One study predicted that in the next decade 400,000 to 500,000 veterans will have criminal cases in the courts.

----------------------------------------------------------------

From the article in the other thread.  Certainly doesn't sound like the description of a group of people that are "worshiped".  If you want to see how much we "worship" the military go visit a VA hospital.  Or talk to someone trying to file a VA claim.  I bet those folks feel like people are falling all over themselves to worship the military

Rates of suicide, alcoholism, fatal car accidents and incarceration are

far higher for veterans than for most of the civilian population. One study predicted that in the next decade 400,000 to 500,000 veterans will have criminal cases in the courts.

----------------------------------------------------------------

From the article in the other thread.  Certainly doesn't sound like the description of a group of people that are "worshiped".  If you want to see how much we "worship" the military go visit a VA hospital.  Or talk to someone trying to file a VA claim.  I bet those folks feel like people are falling all over themselves to worship the military

This reminded me of this picture, and makes me ask the same question, do our troops really "protect our freedom"?

933948_531115163614135_453331348_n.png

This reminded me of this picture, and makes me ask the same question, do our troops really "protect our freedom"?

Again if you don't think that "life" is a basic prerequisite for "freedom" then you probably will miss the whole "Operation Enduring Freedom" angle.  A much longer discussion could be had about Iraq. 

I disagree with the premise of the picture.  The best way to honor them is to never commit a single person to an unworthy cause.  And once you do, commit what it takes to win. 

I thank those in uniform for doing something I don't have the guts to do.  We put a gun in their hands and send them off to kill people, so us average Joes don't have to do so on our own soil.

Again if you don't think that "life" is a basic prerequisite for "freedom" then you probably will miss the whole "Operation Enduring Freedom" angle.  A much longer discussion could be had about Iraq. 

I disagree with the premise of the picture.  The best way to honor them is to never commit a single person to an unworthy cause.  And once you do, commit what it takes to win. 

Absolutely, I agree with you, if we are going to war, lets do it, lets kick ass.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall

pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend,

oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - JFK

So let me ask,

1. are we currently at war?

if so

2. In 2013, how our are troops protecting our freedom?

I thank those in uniform for doing something I don't have the guts to do.  We put a gun in their hands and send them off to kill people, so us average Joes don't have to do so on our own soil.

Okay, I love these men and women, I have great friends who serve, but that's not all they do, for instance one of my very good friends is currently deployed at Bagram, while he's an officer and isn't on the frontlines, he puts his life on the line daily to help the people of Afghanistan simply by wearing a patch on his shoulder(edit - AND LOVES EVERY MINUTE OF IT).  One of the projects he recently asked for some help with was a cloting drive for some children and mothers at the various schools in Afghanistan, I think that's awesome, but how is this "protecting our freedom"

I do agree with the sentiment. I also think the military worship in this country is out of control and unhealthy.

Those who serve should be worthy of our appreciation. That's it.

With all my connection and appreciation, your middle sentence is a theme I have spoken on for years and definitely agree. It's a tough line to walk sometimes in our culture (if you care about appearances) to be both as supportive of the armed forces as folks like you and I are, and yet also being objective in critical assessment of actual reality. You and I have discussed this off ES and both our backgrounds put us in that position. 

There's a lot of meat to the that topic on several levels (including who's doing the "worshiping" and why), but I'll leave it for another time/thread.

Very well put Sir

Yes it was. But then I am agreeing with much in this thread, including some stuff which may seem contradictory. Particularly in serious important matters, "the truth" can be of broad scope and multi-faceted.

It's complicated , but usually is when many truths collide.

civility and benefit of doubt are usually productive in bringing forth a greater truth

the military's existence,training and ability protects our freedom,be they in a war zone, the Pentagon,or a backwater motor pool

we could throw in the military industrial complex as something both integral to protecting our freedom and a problem if overly exalted.

good thing we are all in this together and powerful enough no one thinks they can invade.

It's complicated , but usually is when many truths collide.

the military's existence,training and ability protects our freedom,be they in a war zone, the Pentagon,or a backwater motor pool

There is no doubt that it would cost millions of lives to "invade" The United States simply because of our men and women in uniform, but then you could argue, does our military actually serve as a defense mechanism especially after being spread thin overseas?  With that said, in 2013 when the phrase is said, people think our troops are defending our freedom by killing random suspected terrorists overseas, which isn't the case.  Sheepfarmers that set up IED's are not a threat to our freedoms.

Absolutely, I agree with you, if we are going to war, lets do it, lets kick ass.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall

pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend,

oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - JFK

So let me ask,

1. are we currently at war?

if so

2. In 2013, how our are troops protecting our freedom?

An answer to question #2 can be found in your JFK quote. 

I think the eventual raid that killed Bin Laden served a tremendous purpose.  It wasn't George Bush that got him.  And it wasn't Barack Obama that got him.  It was the United States of America that worked tirelessly to find him and make sure he could never inspire or finance an attack on our homeland again.  Now we as a country don't see that in my opinion.  We either discount one guy or the others contribution to that ultimate end state.  But lucky for us I think the world is generally smarter...or at least not as partisan...as we are internally. 

Usually on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, we see the phrase "Thank you to all those who serve and defend my Freedom", I'm not trying to discount anything our soldiers do abroad, as a matter of fact, I have lots of good friends who have fought in Iraq and Trashcanistan,  but I can honestly say I do not understand this phrase.especially with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I see our troops as Men and Women who defend the Liberty of others, especially during World War I, World War II, not necasarily those who "Defend our Freedom" because I find it highly unlikely that the "Super Powers" of the world would ever have the ability to invade the continental United States.

So can someone please explain why people say this?

I sort of understand you logic on world war 1, but if the axis we're successful, they would've had more then enough natural resources between Russia and China to invade us if they wanted to.  Keep in mind Pearl Habor left the west coast almost completely defenseless from invasion and there were U-Boat sighting up and down the Atlantic coast of the US during WW2 (history channel has episodes devoted to secret Nazi documents about how to eventually pull off a US invasion, with most of our allies allready conquered).

Having said that, protecting this country is about protecting our freedoms; many which are not recognized or culturally allowed in other parts of the world.  Afganistan was about taking out the training ground of an organization bent on destroying our country and way of life.  Whether I agree with Iraq or not, the "point" was to prevent WMDs from gettin in the hands of those who wish to destroy us, or worse, push us into a totalitarian, marshal law like state to "protect" ourselves from further attack.

Reading and hearing about the treatment of troops coming home from Vietnam, I'm personally fine with the pendulum swing.  I do feel some of the troop support is done to improve public relations with the public that corporations know we can't refuse or spite them for.  But really, that's the least of our problems right now.

There is no doubt that it would cost millions of lives to "invade" The United States simply because of our men and women in uniform, but then you could argue, does our military actually serve as a defense mechanism especially after being spread thin overseas?  With that said, in 2013 when the phrase is said, people think our troops are defending our freedom by killing random suspected terrorists overseas, which isn't the case.  Sheepfarmers that set up IED's are not a threat to our freedoms.

Sheepfarmers.....I think you miss the point of the last 12 years of conflict.  And that's ok - I'm not inclined to get into that at the moment.  The United States, much like Israel, has a GIGANTIC percentage of its population in reserves or prior service.  You might get a foothold, but if you think Al Queda is a tough nut to crack - give 3 million redneck veterans reason to empty their gun cabinets.

It's Memorial Day.  Today I remember the 27 men we lost from 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team.  They sacrificed themselves trying to guarantee the rights and freedoms we enjoy, in America,  to Iraqis.  Also, to stem the flow of Al Queda from proliferating further into politically important areas.  RIP brothers, this beer is for you.  :(

Okay, I love these men and women, I have great friends who serve, but that's not all they do, for instance one of my very good friends is currently deployed at Bagram, while he's an officer and isn't on the frontlines, he puts his life on the line daily to help the people of Afghanistan simply by wearing a patch on his shoulder(edit - AND LOVES EVERY MINUTE OF IT).  One of the projects he recently asked for some help with was a cloting drive for some children and mothers at the various schools in Afghanistan, I think that's awesome, but how is this "protecting our freedom"

NT

NT

Archived