Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: 2013 NFL Draft: Washington Redskins grade [ good marks :-) ]

authentic

"You have Alfred Morris. Why are you taking 2 running backs?"

This is what happens when you don't do your homework, and realize that he was pretty much the only guy that we could rely on in the backfield last year, and that you have one guy in Royster who completely fell off the face of the Earth, and another guy in Helu who is recovering from injury. Not to mention that one brings a speed dimension to the offense that was nonexistent last year, and another who, like Morris, brings power and shiftyness, and blocking ability to the backfield. And he was a ****ing 7th rounder. Plus, most consistently great running teams go 2-3 deep in the backfield anyway.

I liked the other guys assessment though.

Our front office knocked it out of the park. We drafted to improve the secondary (a glaring need), we grabbed insurance for our OLB situation given that Rak may be a liability (or speed DE for extra pass rush - win either way), and we drafted guys to keep Almo healthy / we may finally be able to implement what Banks was supposed to be last year in the option.

Sure, we could have gotten other guys here or there, but overall I'm ecstatic. Can't wait to see our new guys in the B&G in action! Also, how awesome will the jersey look when it says "Rambo" on the back!

HAIL

Even if RB isn't a need (and it sort of was), Mike Shanahan picking one is always exciting because of what a high success rate he has with them. Honestly we should try to stock up on two or three extra 5th-7th round picks every year and play RB lottery, it pays off.

Not a bad segment, and I like the grades, though the second guy will probably be eating his words, I mean, you simply do NOT, under any circumstances, question a Shanahan running back selection, simply because the liklihood of you looking dumb in a year for doing it is so high. The past three running backs he's drafted have:

- had 1000 all-purpose yards while only being the featured back for little over half a season (Helu)

- had 3 one hundred yard rushing games in only about 5 or 6 featured games (Royster, even if he fell off a cliff)

- broke the Redskins franchise rushing record and had 3rd most rookie rushing yards all time (Morris)

Mike Shanahan knows RBs.

I will say the problem with these kinds of segments is that they're really short, so it's tough to go in-depth. Picks like Amerson, Reed, Jenkins, and the two RBs can take time to explain, and have created pages of debate right here. In a longer segment, one could go into team depth, the systems we run, the players available at our picks, etc. etc., and help to explain the rationale, but unfortunately they always have to go very quick, and everything is reduced to soundbites, which may or may not be accurate in the slightest.

The first guy was only slightly off. Stating the Skinz could possibly make the playoffs again is an understatement. Clearly we're favored to win the division again. The second guy must of had his own draft board. He thinks we should have taken more OL. I'd have to ask him which ones. Dallass and NYG both reached for OL. Not sure who he would have picked but I'm square w/ every pick.

Our front office knocked it out of the park. We drafted to improve the secondary (a glaring need), we grabbed insurance for our OLB situation given that Rak may be a liability (or speed DE for extra pass rush - win either way), and we drafted guys to keep Almo healthy / we may finally be able to implement what Banks was supposed to be last year in the option.

Sure, we could have gotten other guys here or there, but overall I'm ecstatic. Can't wait to see our new guys in the B&G in action! Also, how awesome will the jersey look when it says "Rambo" on the back!

HAIL

I couldn't agree more. We filled the holes we had to fill and got backup for Morris...a dream draft. I'm just as happy as you! And we got it done despite ****ing Mara.

I actually texted my husband from work Saturday night when we got Rambo...from what I've heard, he's awesome.

Hail!

I will say the problem with these kinds of segments is that they're really short, so it's tough to go in-depth. Picks like Amerson, Reed, Jenkins, and the two RBs can take time to explain, and have created pages of debate right here. In a longer segment, one could go into team depth, the systems we run, the players available at our picks, etc. etc., and help to explain the rationale, but unfortunately they always have to go very quick, and everything is reduced to soundbites, which may or may not be accurate in the slightest.

I agree, that's the crux of it right there Dog. This is not supposed to be an in-depth analysis, at best it catches your eye to investigate further. It can't be easy to put together a quick take this way on every team, at least they weren't Cowherd bat**** crazy with their comments.

I thought we had a good draft. I wouldn't call it great. If I had to give a grade, it would be a B-. I would have liked them to take Swope over Thomspon. I understand his big play ability, but I think getting Jamison in the 7th was a similar pick. I was thinking they'd go ILBer to help with depth, but they went OLBer. Otherwise I liked the Amerson, Reed, Thomas and Rambo picks.

I thought we had a good draft. I wouldn't call it great. If I had to give a grade, it would be a B-. I would have liked them to take Swope over Thomspon. I understand his big play ability, but I think getting Jamison in the 7th was a similar pick. I was thinking they'd go ILBer to help with depth, but they went OLBer. Otherwise I liked the Amerson, Reed, Thomas and Rambo picks.

Well, I think they look at ILB and think they've got London, they've got Perry, Keenan is rehabbing well, Bryan Kehl played really well, you have Muckelroy there maybe as a developmental player. There's some depth at ILB, and it was slim pickings linebacker wise that late in the draft.

I agree that I really wanted Swope, but I think Kyle Shanahan wanted a more moveable chess piece. Some of those plays we ran with Brandon Banks last year are perfect for Thompson. Swope's more of a pure slot guy, though I think Kyle could've made it work. But I understood the pick giving how hard they tried to not make Banks completely useless last year.

Shanahan, like Gibbs, runs his RBs into the ground. I don't say that as a bad thing, he just doesn't abandon the run. It's his thing. He has a tendency of running them so much, that he has to be able to rely on his #2 and #3 backs when they step up to the plate. From seeing the last few seasons, we should all know the value of a deep pool of running backs after seeing Betts, Ganther, Keiland Williams, Helu, Royster, a washed up Portis, and Torrain all starting in recent memory. We've gone through the running backs, and Shanahan using multiple backs is nothing new. Everybody knows you don't draft Shanahan running backs high in fantasy.

Well, I think they look at ILB and think they've got London, they've got Perry, Keenan is rehabbing well, Bryan Kehl played really well, you have Muckelroy there maybe as a developmental player. There's some depth at ILB, and it was slim pickings linebacker wise that late in the draft.

I agree that I really wanted Swope, but I think Kyle Shanahan wanted a more moveable chess piece. Some of those plays we ran with Brandon Banks last year are perfect for Thompson. Swope's more of a pure slot guy, though I think Kyle could've made it work. But I understood the pick giving how hard they tried to not make Banks completely useless last year.

Sure. Like I said, I understand the pick as Thompson could provide big play ability, but I was hoping we would have snagged Swope with on of the two fifths. Just a personal preference on my part.

I just think teams are going to be keying on AlMo this year, he won't be a surprise to anyone, so the braintrust changes things up, you add run stopping LBs and we'll just field a RB with breakaway speed that'll run 'em into the ground. You take away Garcon deep and Reed kills ya underneath. To me this is what quality teams to, dictate the game instead of just reacting to their opponents. You cannot get a set plan and just ride it year in and year out, the team has to keep growing.

I said it after the draft Saturday ( http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?381163-2013-NFL-Draft.-When-your-Washington-Redskins-future-went-from-good-to-VERY-good-elite.); and I'll say it again. I honestly believe we'll look back at this draft as the point when we took the final step in our rebirth from solid, good also-rans to top table contenders.

Even if nobody pans out from this fantastic draft that might well top the previous two, the mere fact that we're now willing to gamble on difference making, game changing playmakers, both sides of the ball; should be celebrated by everyone.

Hail.

I said it after the draft Saturday ( http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?381163-2013-NFL-Draft.-When-your-Washington-Redskins-future-went-from-good-to-VERY-good-elite.); and I'll say it again. I honestly believe we'll look back at this draft as the point when we took the final step in our rebirth from solid, good also-rans to top table contenders.

Even if nobody pans out from this fantastic draft that might well top the previous two, the mere fact that we're now willing to gamble on difference making, game changing playmakers, both sides of the ball; should be celebrated by everyone.

Hail.

Hear, hear!

There is going to be more gape-jawed amazement this year, we know what we have with Griffin, we saw what Morris can do, but Kyle is going to be able to really take the training wheels off and try some crazy ****, even when it doesn't work it's going to be fun.

I like our draft but the only things that concerned me were our picks on guys coming off injuries so soon. Injuries have plagued our team for so long that anytime I hear the word I immediately don't like it. I can see why they were selected though because they have a huge upside. They were also so soon that I don't know how the healing process is coming along. The team will know more than me about this and I'm putting my trust in them.

I really am concerned about Chris Thompson. I don't know the severity of his knee problem because I haven't researched it. Can anyone tell me any more information about it?

I keep hearing fans everywhere continue to speak on "needs" that should have been addressed in the draft but seem to forget about, or simply don't know of depth we have at the various positions they're questioning.. including PS players the team kept around as well.

I like our draft but the only things that concerned me were our picks on guys coming off injuries so soon. Injuries have plagued our team for so long that anytime I hear the word I immediately don't like it. I can see why they were selected though because they have a huge upside. They were also so soon that I don't know how the healing process is coming along. The team will know more than me about this and I'm putting my trust in them.

I really am concerned about Chris Thompson. I don't know the severity of his knee problem because I haven't researched it. Can anyone tell me any more information about it?

Yeah, it sucks about the injuries but at the same time, if they were never injured, we wouldn't have been able to draft them all because they would've gone much higher in the draft.

Yeah, it sucks about the injuries but at the same time, if they were never injured, we wouldn't have been able to draft them all because they would've gone much higher in the draft.

Yea I get that and the injury could pay off due to this but I'm concerned. Not necessarily "worried." Heck it could have panned out to be the best thing that happened to us.

You can put them on PUP or IR them for a year to give them time to fully recover. Give them a year of film study, an NFL strength/conditioning program, and some good doctors/rehab facilities. It might suck this year, but it could be like adding a couple of extra draft picks next year if that's the case.

And it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to extend one of our RB's career by a year by giving him one off to come back fully healed.

Archived