Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Has anybody mentioned changing the name to the Pigskins?  I miss the Hogs and Hogettes. 

Hail to the Pigskins

Hail barbecue

Hogs in the pigsty

Fight for all of you!

Put a hog on the helmet and call 'em the 'skins.

Sounds kosher to me, Mr. Snyder.

Watching the Seminoles tonight you have to surmise that this whole thing is about the word Redskins - we don't come close to wrapping ourselves up in NA symbolism.  I am for keeping everything but the name if the Trademark lawsuit is lost - logo, colors, fight song if the name will work. 

Florida State will change eventually. There is some division within the nation on endorsement of FSU's employment of the name and imagery.

Check this out from FSU's site. The "War Chant" moan which the Noles share w/ Braves fans was born in the 1980s. The tune evolved out of an older pep song titled "Massacre".

Best of all, it sounded "more like chants by American Indians in Western movies".

I couldn't make this up if I tried.

http://www.seminoles.com/trads/fsu-trads-chant.html

Lesser sources not worth linking, credit none other than Deion Sanders as the tie between the Noles and the Braves "War Chant" moan song. The Tomahawk Chop motion allegedly crept north to Atl from Tallahassee in the late 80s and early 90s.

If you're a fan of either team, feel free to crush this. My research consisted of a few nibbles around the web, nothing comprehensive.

Florida State has permission from the Seminole tribe.

What, we going to tell them how awful they are for allowing something they want?

How far does this hubris go?

Last night I watched that game, and you know what I saw? i saw tens of thousands of people enjoying themselves at a sporting event, participating as a crowd in something they're proud of.

I didn't see them mocking anyone. I didn't see them disrespecting anyone. 

Who saw hate? Who felt HATE at the very sight of a non-Native doing the chant?

Why aren't THEY the problem?

~Bang

A lot of people had the same attitude toward civil rights activists in the 1950-60s.

You are talking apples and  McNuggets here. There is a difference between a group of people being segregated from the rest of the populace based on their skin color and the name of the Washington Redskins. You can compared the team name to the OBVIOUS racial slur that beings with a N, but you would also be comparing apples to McNuggs. The term Redskin(s) was quoined based on the warpaint the indigenous people of continent war into battle not their skin color. The vast majority of people that are making a fuss about a team name that has been around for 81 years without much complaint are people that work at the Washington Post named UnWise Mike and white people looking for a "cause." The only reason this issue has gotten any steam is because the spotlight was on the Washington Redskins last year because they got a flashy new QB and they were winning. Wise began to write poorly researched and highly opinionated pieces for the Post. Other media outlets picked the story up from the wire, while other reporters then began to more-or-less re-report Wise without doing any research of their own. This type of poor journalism is the same reason Manti Te'O got away with having a fake girlfriend for months. Media agency just re-report without research and grab wire stories without question. It's poor journalism. These reporters and news outlets—whose job it is to inform the public—have failed the public in this instance and in many other ways as we continue down this shadowy road to the new age of journalism.

HTTR

You can compared the team name to the OBVIOUS racial slur that beings with a N, but you would also be comparing apples to McNuggs.

You can make that comparison, but I haven't from what I can recall.

Since you baited me, our team's name is comparable to other outdated terms we once used to describe groups of people. Coloreds, cripples, Orientals, and the dumb. None of those terms were intended to be derogatory to members of those groups, and all were perfectly acceptable 50-60 years back. Times have changed as we've learned more.

Just saw an interview with longtime sportscaster Jim Gray. He said the protest may continue, and we may continue to hear about it, but that Snyder will not change the name, and that he thinks people need to move on. He also said that he anticipates some tribes coming out in support of the name, sometime in the near future.

We'll see.

I was afraid that maybe Goodell and the NFL would put the screws on in the future and make Dan change it, but then I heard on the radio that the NFL can't make him do it, so I'm content in knowing that as long as he owns the team... it will ALWAYS be The Washington Redskins. People can say to a name change that "it's coming" until they're pee green, along with Wise's prediction of "by 2018." 

Yea, I actually really like it. I didn't think Redhawks would work at all - but after looking at it I really liked the use of the classic R with feathers. Very nicely done.

If there ever WAS that time when the evil forces start hammering Snyders fingers and forcing him to sign zee papers... it would have to be (to me) the Redhawks. Seriously, Bravehearts?... Warriors?... total YUCK! The transformation would be a lot easier because the "skins" part wouldn't be so important as to lose it all. Yeah, I know... Seahawks. OK, they'll be the hawks of the west and we'll be the hawks of the east. Hawks? Which hawks? You know... the ones who've won a SB (love pissing off Seattle). Anyways, what I DO want with it is that NOTHING else changes. Even the fonts. And those in the HOF remain as players inducted as Redskins. Those who have played as Redhawks will be inducted as Redhawks. I know Harjo will keep 'enlightening us' and other teams to stop altogether, but I feel at that point that MOST (including the media AND the courts) will simply just ignore her... to obscurity. 

I can deal with this.

Since you baited me, our team's name is comparable to other outdated terms we once used to describe groups of people. Coloreds, cripples, Orientals, and the dumb. None of those terms were intended to be derogatory to members of those groups, and all were perfectly acceptable 50-60 years back. Times have changed as we've learned more.

Excpet all those people weren't the ones to start the names, and they are all very vocal about their displeasure with the names. Redskins is different, it is used by NAs, and majority don't care about us using it. Maybe you should just stop trying to make comparisons at this point.

Do you realize how patronizing it sounds for the white media to once again speak so paternalistically to the Native American population by telling them that the names THEY have freely chosen to represent themselves and their schools and their ancestral pride are instead the equivalent of being called a cripple?

Are they too ignorant to know that they should be offended, and as such they need the educated white man to once again lead them to civility?

Are they too ignorant to know that they should be offended, and as such they need the educated white man to once again lead them to civility?

I think many do feel this way.  "They just don't know any better...we must teach them."

because in our much more "enlightened and civilized" society, acknowledging any differences between the races at all regardless of context is taboo...OR you can notice them, but for god's sake don't speak them.    

Maybe at large the Natives themselves just don't understand the modern culture of "the disease" where everybody has to find something that offends them.  

If the name change is inevitbale or appropriate (I think that's the case, although I'm supportive of the Redskins), then this is my ideal option.  Washington Red Clouds.  Unique, historical, and little change to the uniform or logo is necessary.  Forgive me if this has been discussed in the thread previously, but there's a new column in the WaPo about it today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-washington-red-clouds-a-team-name-to-honor-a-great-warrior-and-leader/2013/11/01/292f20c4-40e3-11e3-a624-41d661b0bb78_story_1.html

Eh, Frankly, I don't think the "they used that term themselves" is much of a defense.  More along the lines of useless trivia. 

I think maybe it's significant as a rebuttal of the claim that The Evil White Man invented it, to refer to scalps.  But that's pretty much it's only significance. 

Yeah, "the n-word" HAS been used, by blacks, and by Mel Brooks, and people weren't offended.  That doesn't make the word not offensive.  (Just because a word CAN be non-offensive, doesn't mean it always is.  Some people, however, won't admit that the opposite is true.) 

Perfect example is Michael Strahan using the N word on Fox and then everybody acting like nothing happened when they came back from the commercial they cut to.

If the name change is inevitbale or appropriate (I think that's the case, although I'm supportive of the Redskins), then this is my ideal option.  Washington Red Clouds.  Unique, historical, and little change to the uniform or logo is necessary.  Forgive me if this has been discussed in the thread previously, but there's a new column in the WaPo about it today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-washington-red-clouds-a-team-name-to-honor-a-great-warrior-and-leader/2013/11/01/292f20c4-40e3-11e3-a624-41d661b0bb78_story_1.html

I vote we just stop linking to that rag paper in this thread. It's about the same as linking to Faux News when this issue is the topic.

I'm 100% for keeping the name.  Personally, and I think this goes for all Skins fans and 99% of NFL fans, I see our name not as an insult, but as a glorification of Native Americans and their culture.

That being said, I would like to see Dan Snyder, the Redskins organization, and all our fans do a bit more in supporting and promoting Native American history and culture.  Whether it be via halftime shows, awards, donations to Native American charities, scholarships, sales of promotional items, contracts given to N.A. businesses, uniform donations for N.A. school sports programs or whatever. At this point, I'd gladly support a small price increase in Redskin jerseys and souvenirs if it was going to a good cause. Heck I'd love a small portion of ownership be donated to Native American organizations. (Not likely, I know)

And I don't think of this as a "paying off" the dissenters. I think it should be done regardless of the recent name change outcry.  Not only would it benefit the N.A. community, it would benefit the Redskins by gaining more fans nationwide and giving us a unique partnership with those who's name we share.

Make it so anyone who roots against the burgundy and gold is the racist!

Totally Fletch!

The front office should be pouring support into Native American causes, improving the reservations, treatment programs, environmental protection, job creation EVERYTHING!

The PC crowd will scream that they're just buying them off, but the response is simply, "So, what are you doing to make a difference?"

Here is another one as well, Washington Redskins fans. Double click on the link below and let DC City Council hear our voices on not wanting to change the name of the Washington Redskins. Hail To The Redskins :)  http://files.redskins.com/dc-city-council.html

They know how MOST of us feel about it, and quite frankly, they're not even interested in what we think. They're mostly interested in their OWN thoughts about it... as if they feel they OWN the word 'Washington.' Just a waste of time from a bunch of politicians who have nothing better to do than to piss off most of their constituents. 

P.S. - May a new stadium NEVER be inside the District of Columbia as long as we are the Washington Redskins

Archived