Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Davis Signs, But Can He Shine?

E-Dog Night

I love this deal. We didn't shell out a ton of money for him, and we didn't get locked into a long term deal when he could possibly be suspended again and out for a year. There is low risk here, and if he gets his nose clean and performs, we can finally have him and Garcon on the field at the same time for RG3.

But if he wants a big contract after next season, he's going to need to have his best season yet.

I liked the signing because

(1) it's a reasonable contract to retain a player who was a very good fit for the Shanahans' offensive system;

(2) it shows a continuing committment to keeping key Redskins players -- something of a positive message to other Skins players about the new philosophy in town.

(3) it was a signal to Davis that the Skins still believed in him, even though most of the rest of the league didn't; -- that may mean something, if he comes back completely from his injury

(4) the contract was fair enough to retain Davis, but affordable enough to absorb -- should Davis not return to pre-injury form.

(5) it better positions the Redskins to retain Davis in 2014 -- assuming they want to

(6) this may actually help to sign more quality defensive free agents -- because the Griffin and Davis combo will help move the chains on offense, and lighten the load on the defense

I really smille when I consider how the Skins FO handled the Davis re-signing. I just hope the <blankety-blank> medical staff did their job and properly evaluated Davis's physical condition, and long-term prospects. I've lost so much confidence in their expertise, and it's almost enough that I'd hope Snyder steps in and finds some quality medical staff. (Yes, even the celebrity doctor.) .

I figured folks would track to my concern about the Skins medical evaluatoin staff. All I'll say is that there's been plenty of 'smoke' with mishaps/mistakes on medical evaluations of Skins players. So maybe there is a "fire" somewhere?

I don't want to impugn Dr. Andrews' excellent reputation -- but frankly, some big mediically-related events happened on his watch. So maybe he's better at repair than at assessing potential risk? And do we know whether he performing ALL the medical assessments on the Skins players -- or are some things being handled by other Skins-contracted medical staff?.

I don't want this to become a Skins' medical staff thread -- it's a Fred Davis thread. However, the final assessment of the Skins FO's deal with Davis, will hinge on what the Skins medical staff determines Fred Davis can do. And, frankly, they haven't been all that great.

--

I like the signing, but I don't know what to expect out of him. I don't think he has the talent to be a top 5 Te in the league. He doesn't seem to be really talented in any facets imo. He is also coming off of a legitimate injury. However, the amount of targets and inclusion in this system with rg3 will get him numbers this year, barring he stays healthy. I guess I think he's overrated... But I am ok with a reasonable one year deal.

It is not a good sign that he is still limping 5 months after the surgery. Most are walking normally if not jogging at that point including myself. He must of had some set backs considering his rehab program had to be demanding with top PT's watching over him. The injury itself probably scared team's off as well as his apparent slow recovery time.
I was thinking the same thing when I first read the article. But then it dawned on me; we don't know what the circumstances were at the time Fred was seen limping. He could have just finished jogging, rehabbing, any number of things.

Fred has no choice but to step up if he wants to get paid next year. He better put in the work and get ready for camp. Fred is not alone in this boat. To name a few like Orak, Adam, Crawford, and Meriweather all have something to prove. RG3 I have no worries about him; he is Superman.

He does have the tools and made a commitment to deliver next year. There is also a big money contract for future years depending on his ability to meet expectations. Baring any setback and despite we had a better record without him last year, I think he can shine.

God I hope he can stay healthy and be a productive positive impact player for the team.

Sorry for sounding a little negative, but I have to see it to believe it. Between the earlier drug issue and the injury, karma is alive and well, so his focus should be on being the best T.E. he can.

Why, I don't know, but I have that weird feeling he may end up being a problematic player; say he comes out this season and really makes a name for himself; would 1 year justify him getting a larger contract the following season? If he doesn't get it, then he turns into a disgruntled player, like so many others around the league have.

I'm hoping for the best, but I will not be a bit surprised if this scenario plays out 2014.

On a side note, my favorite T.E.'s birthday is coming up, Clint Didier, so if you see this, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

SIC

I agree that there are too many variables to determine why he is still limping. Hey, it may not of been related to the injury so who knows. Obviously Andrews is a top doc but he can't stop infection, prevent other weak points in a damaged achilles or where it actually snapped(directly off the heal bone can be a mess). Furthermore, the damage that it does to your body is felt all the way up to your back since the muscles in the leg weaken and your walking is different due to braces etc. I have to imagine his rehab was so much better than the normal better and they probably did everything possible to keep surrounding areas strong. That is why the limp concerns me. If it is a related to the achilles then this is not a good news. For someone who should be living and breathing rehab,he should be ahead of the regular guy who rehabs an achilles tear, namely me. I believe beckham was back in 7 months but keep in mind that achilles has to hold the weight of Fred's body mass pushing off. That is a lot. I hope he is alright and we have a second superman on the team! Hopefully I am wasting my time writing this and he had a bad blister that day. I haven't heard any real news on his rehab or prognosis.

Way to close it out! I love the write-up! I'm happy for Fred, but I think Niles Paul needs to step up. He's an animal on teams, but he's got D. Peterson breathing down his neck for that TE3 spot right now. Camp just got interesting for this position.

Can you explain to me what I am missing? Peterson is an undrafted guy who caught all of 37 passes for ~450 yards and 3 TD's his entire college career. I've literally never even heard his name, from college and especially not from the coaches, until you have made him sound like some phenomenal prospect all offseason long.

By no means did Niles Paul do anything special from a receiving end last year and often dropped passes both in the preseason and the regular season. He didn't exactly light it up and lock down the #3 TE spot. But he is a great teamer and athlete and I think he has a lot of potential. I realize this is probably similar to how you feel about Peterson but at least Paul proved himself in college and so far has proven to be a great special teamer in the pros and at least a contributor on offense.

Do you have any tangible evidence that Peterson is "breathing down his neck" or anyone's for even a roster spot? I'm not trying to be a dick or call you out, I'm seriously wondering if I've missed something given how much you've talked about this guy the entire offseason in several threads as if he's possibly the answer.

Do you have any tangible evidence that Peterson is "breathing down his neck" or anyone's for even a roster spot? I'm not trying to be a dick or call you out, I'm seriously wondering if I've missed something given how much you've talked about this guy the entire offseason in several threads as if he's possibly the answer.

DC9 will have to answer for himself as this was directed towards him but I believe the gist of it is that the insiders have mentioned to coaches being high on Peterson. He was picked up as an UDFA to the practice squad as a developmental guy.

"Breathing down his neck" may or may not be hyperbole but he will be competing for that #3 position in camp this year. Hopefully they'll just both ball out and we keep 4 with Banks' roster spot.

DC9 will have to answer for himself as this was directed towards him but I believe the gist of it is that the insiders have mentioned to coaches being high on Peterson. He was picked up as an UDFA to the practice squad as a developmental guy.

"Breathing down his neck" may or may not be hyperbole but he will be competing for that #3 position in camp this year. Hopefully they'll just both ball out and we keep 4 with Banks' roster spot.

Ok that's kind of what I was looking for. I had not seen anything elsewhere about coaches talking about him. But Shanahan has also been very high on Paul for a long time. Hopefully he can finally hold on to the ball because I think he is a very effective tool as a swing blocker out of the backfield and he has the speed to hurt defenses because of who will be matched up on him. More than anything, I'd hate to lose what he brings to our special teams units and I think if he can just improve some on offense he becomes a player we need to keep. It's just frustrating to see a guy with that much athletic ability not be able to hold on to the ball.

Davis, if he can recover, is probably our best tight end. That said, I've lost quite a bit of faith in him. He still seems to be about potential over production and seems to be a guy who has an overinflated opinion of himself. I also suspect just based on quotes that if he did get "paid" his play and effort would drop off. He just doesn't seem like a guy who's motivated by the game or winning.

Hope I'm wrong.

Davis, if he can recover, is probably our best tight end. That said, I've lost quite a bit of faith in him. He still seems to be about potential over production and seems to be a guy who has an overinflated opinion of himself. I also suspect just based on quotes that if he did get "paid" his play and effort would drop off. He just doesn't seem like a guy who's motivated by the game or winning.

Hope I'm wrong.

He's got 1.25 million (dollars in incentives) reasons to be motivated to produce this season at any rate and investigate next years FA market...I think that was a big reason he chose the Redskin contract - if he produces he will get paid (alibi next year) but the potential is there for him to hit a little under $4 mil...

I like the signing, but I don't know what to expect out of him. I don't think he has the talent to be a top 5 Te in the league. He doesn't seem to be really talented in any facets imo. He is also coming off of a legitimate injury. However, the amount of targets and inclusion in this system with rg3 will get him numbers this year, barring he stays healthy. I guess I think he's overrated... But I am ok with a reasonable one year deal.

Top 5? Doubtful. Top 10? Definitely. Freddie D has great speed, good hands, decent height and has improved his blocking since being drafted. He has all the tools to be a top 10 tight end in this league. Does he have the drive though? That we shall see.

Hope I'm wrong.

Probably our best tight end? The guy was on pace for 1,000 yards 2 years ago and was finding his rhythm and was on track again last year before he got hurt. RGIII was getting more comfortable with him his production per game was going up. He was again our leading receiver in yards and catches. That may have been different if Garcon had been healthy but he still would have been our #2 option in the passing game and rightly so. He's easily a top 10 TE in the league so to say he's probably the best on our team is a huge understatement.

He is somewhat of a headcase as you alluded to but Shanahan has always raved about his work ethic and has complimented him as a teammate and in terms of his personality. That's good enough for me. You're right, he's never played a FULL season to his potential due to Cooley, poor decision making, then injury. But when he is on the field there is no question he plays at an extremely high level. He's played for a very low salary given his talent level his whole career so I'm not surprised he comes off a little jaded and looking for more money. But he chose to stay here and when he's healthy I fully expect him be a nightmare for defenses.

Davis needs to score more TDs...and he needs to score them from other places than within the red zone. He also needs to score TDs that aren't caught while he's in the end zone.

...well, if he scores one TD this year that would be more than he did in 7 games last year...your point is taken...

Archived