Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Davis Signs, But Can He Shine?

E-Dog Night

http://sonofwashington.com/2013/03/29/davis-signs-but-can-he-shine/

Davis-Header.png

After discovering that the interest for his services was somewhat lukewarm at best, it seemed inevitable that Fred Davis would eventually make his way back inside the beltway. The Redskins made it official today, signing Davis to a one-year deal for an as-of-yet undisclosed amount. Chalk up one to the RG3 factor.

Davis, an unrestricted free agent, could have signed with any team once the FA signing period began. Several recent reports indicated that the Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills and New York Jets were all jockeying to land the athletic playmaker, and #83 did make visits to Cleveland a few weeks ago, and more recently Buffalo. However, Davis stated on DC’s Sports Talk 980 earlier this month that “I definitely want to be here. I got drafted here. This is the place I built and made my home now. This is definitely a good situation.”

As mentioned, terms of the contract were not immediately disclosed, but the deal is obviously team-friendly. It would have to be, considering the omnipresent cap penalty swirling over every negotiation like a money-sucking tornado.

Another aspect of this situation that is not immediately clear is exactly how healthy Fred Davis will be at the start of the season. Davis had recently been seen at Redskins Park walking with a pronounced limp, which naturally would be expected after an Achilles rupture.

Nonetheless, it has been five months since the injury occurred. Estimates vary greatly on how quickly a person can recover from such an injury; on the low side is six months, and it can take up to a year for the most severe cases. Reports are that Davis...

Click link to continue reading

Good article and I think if Davis does come back at least at 80 or 90 percent he will be better than a 100% Niles Paul. It is hard to convert from WR to TE because the routes and assignments are different. Niles Paul can be good but it looks like his blocking skills are not up to par with what they want at TE. Davis is a playmaker that can stretch the field and if healthy a very dangerous one. I think that he will do well enough that he will be rewarded for it next year.

This is huge, definitely a big component to our offense, the dudes an extra receiver that will open up other opportunities for garçon, Moss etc. if not hell be the open man, he makes plays bottom line. Get healthy and Show us what you got and get paid next year..

Coming off of a Torn Achilles as well as a 4-game suspension the season before... he's not a huge demand for teams... one more screw up and he's gone for a year... meaning he'd be done... it was a great sign with a low-risk for the Redskins.

I highly believe Vinny would have signed him to a 7-year $45 million deal, and somehow given the Bills a 2nd rounder.

Hey Niles Paul – can you hear that? It’s opportunity knocking. Time to show a great deal of improvement over your sketchy performance in 2012.

Way to close it out! I love the write-up! I'm happy for Fred, but I think Niles Paul needs to step up. He's an animal on teams, but he's got D. Peterson breathing down his neck for that TE3 spot right now. Camp just got interesting for this position.

This is huge, definitely a big component to our offense, the dudes an extra receiver that will open up other opportunities for garçon, Moss etc. if not hell be the open man, he makes plays bottom line. Get healthy and Show us what you got and get paid next year..

Yes! I feel better about next season, knowing we're getting some stuff done now, with everyone aware of how fiscally responsible we have to be until next year(****Mara)when we can go semi-buckwild.

Having just come from the playoffs, we know we have the weapons to get to the SB. LET'S GO DO IT!!

Hail!

The main thing I respect is he chose to stay here and didn't chase the money. Definition of a true Redskin. (And probably RGIII at QB who would leave) I look foward to him having a breakout season. RGIII you got your nujmber 1 target back. I sure hope he stays healthy

IF Davis is healthy he is an upgrade over what we had signed in Paulsen and Paul, and would be an upgrade over anyone available in the 2nd, barring Ertz falling to 51. We need the skillset a healthy Davis brings to the table, and Davis is definitely the most likely guy to give us that skillset between the remaining market, current roster, and draft.

So this is certainly big for us. Obviously though it hinges on his injury a great deal. If he doesn't come back nearly as effective it will be almost as if he wasn't there, so my sincere hope is that he's as close to 100% as possible, and can be that gamechanger and mis-match he was in 2011 and early 2012.

Welcome back Fred. Now live up to that talk you had about how everyone who didn't sign you would regret it, and earn yourself a big 2014 salary.

Also, briefly on the money, it doesn't sound like he had any offers that matched Skins, so he didn't really have to choose between us and money. Bills offer was apparently more over 2 years, but paid less this year. No-brainer for him. Get paid more this year, get back on the market at age 28 vs. 29, and have a chance at a large payday in 2014 vs. a much smaller one.

The only reason he'd take the Bills offer would be if he got it completely guaranteed and was also injured so much that there was doubt he'd be playing in 2014. I doubt Bills gave him guaranteed money, and he certainly expects to be playing in 2014, so the Bills offer didn't make much sense.

In all reality, there just was not a lot of "money" to be chased...this year, he is damaged goods. Glad he is back, but if somone had dropped a pile of money on him, he would have been gone.

Yeah, I don't know a human who wouldn't.Trust this Espn had him as the best player left on the market for reason.

As long as he doesn't get arrested, suspended, injured, or just completely suck at football, he'll be getting a much better long term deal from somebody next offseason than he would have this offseason. In the season leading up to that would you rather play with RG3 at QB or whomever the Bills starter is? He made a good career move. Good for us too.

Way to close it out! I love the write-up! I'm happy for Fred, but I think Niles Paul needs to step up. He's an animal on teams, but he's got D. Peterson breathing down his neck for that TE3 spot right now. Camp just got interesting for this position.

Indeed it did. It's funny how Niles Paul drew comparisons to Shannon Sharpe last training camp. Those comparisons seem to have fallen silent.

But I'm still rooting for Niles. I hope it's one of those deals where he just needed a year to grow into the position. If he bulks up a little and starts to feel confident, then maybe he can take over for Fred. Forget about Shannon Sharpe - I'd be thrilled if Niles Paul turned into the next Fred Davis (minus the injuries and bong hits, of course).

He is what he is. Meaning he's pretty good with a few great plays in him. And judging by his court case, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So all things considered (including our cap issues) this was a good signing. Give him 1 more year to show his worth and we can all re-assess his value next year.

Great signing. Freddy D has the tools to be a top 5 TE. Him and RGIII should light it up next season.

Top 5? not quite. Take off the burgundy colored glasses. He's a good TE. Better than average. Top 20, maybe top 15 which is still pretty damn good. But top 5? Not a chance.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 06:14 PM ----------

Indeed it did. It's funny how Niles Paul drew comparisons to Shannon Sharpe last training camp. Those comparisons seem to have fallen silent.

But I'm still rooting for Niles. I hope it's one of those deals where he just needed a year to grow into the position. If he bulks up a little and starts to feel confident, then maybe he can take over for Fred. Forget about Shannon Sharpe - I'd be thrilled if Niles Paul turned into the next Fred Davis (minus the injuries and bong hits, of course).

I like Paul too but he's been too inconsistent for me to put too much faith in him. Although I would love for him to prove me wrong.

He is what he is. Meaning he's pretty good with a few great plays in him. And judging by his court case, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So all things considered (including our cap issues) this was a good signing. Give him 1 more year to show his worth and we can all re-assess his value next year.

This seems like a very reasonable summary to me.

I find a fair amount of “poor Fred just doing what’s reasonable“ stuff that I don't fully buy. You don't "have" to say dumbass **** (but Fred has acted the dumbass more than once) while you‘re seeking your best offer. You can do your business in more acceptable manners without showing your ass, even once. I am fine with him being back under our circumstances, liked what he had been doing on the field lase season prior to going out, and will wait and see with the hope he makes me think we're actually lucky he's back by his play.

We may even draft a TE too, but Davis knocks the need back down just a tiny bit

Top 5? not quite. Take off the burgundy colored glasses. He's a good TE. Better than average. Top 20, maybe top 15 which is still pretty damn good. But top 5? Not a chance.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 06:14 PM ----------

I like Paul too but he's been too inconsistent for me to put too much faith in him. Although I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Ok ok. Top 5 may be a little high. I will admit. BUT I could see him putting up top 5 numbers with RGIII. That's not out of the question. Also while top 5 overall may be a but high I think top 10 is about right. He's an excellent receiver. Route runner. Blocking has improved. If me thinking that is akin to wearing burgundy and gold colored glasses then so be it. Your opinion, like mine is just that. An opinion. HTTR.

It's win-win for us.

He's back, he has something to prove, but for only a year. The Skins have been loyal to him even through his mistakes/injuries.

If he's damaged goods and can't perform, he either gets cut or unseated as the starter next year.

If he shines, he gets paid next year and we keep a great threat at TE.

Low risk/high reward. Love the decision.

It is not a good sign that he is still limping 5 months after the surgery. Most are walking normally if not jogging at that point including myself. He must of had some set backs considering his rehab program had to be demanding with top PT's watching over him. The injury itself probably scared team's off as well as his apparent slow recovery time.

Archived