Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Fox Sports prepares channel to take on ESPN

authentic

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/fox-sports-prepares-channel-toe-toe-espn-180935479.html

For decades, ESPN has absolutely owned the TV sports market, becoming a presence so ubiquitous and so intertwined with TV sports that it's wrestled mainstays like "Monday Night Football" off broadcast channels. It's the World Wide Leader (in its estimation) or the Evil Empire (in the eyes of its competition and former employees), and on television, it's never really had a serious rival. (On the web? Ahem.)

Now, Fox is looking to change that broadcast dynamic, announcing the debut of Fox Sports 1. The new channel, set to debut in August, will feature a slate of Fox programming that includes baseball, NASCAR, college basketball and football, soccer, and select UFC fights. The channel will also feature studio shows, including one hosted by Regis Philbin.

http://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/statuses/309021278168297473

Fox Sports 1 will air international soccer coverage on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.

---------- Post added March-5th-2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

Lol Regis

http://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/statuses/309022645276516352

Regis Philbin's new Fox Sports 1 show is called Rush Hour. It will air daily from 5-6PM ET. It will feature panels of guests.

They will have a football show every weekday. They will also have ESPN-like documentaries. THe first one is going to be on Mike Tyson.

A lot of this information can be found of Richard Deitsch's twitter, so check there for more info. This sounds like a good network. FOX claims their network is in "90 million homes" yet it's not on basic cable here, so I can't access it. Sucks.

We'll see if it's worth paying the extra tier sports package for. Before I get complaints on how I should upgrade my cable tier...both NBC Sports and ESPN are on basic cable. Fox Sports 1 on a "sports tier" hurts.

NBC getting EPL rights meant the demise of FSC. FSC was a crappy network anyway, mainly because it was on a sports tier that few people got.

I'll be more open towards FSC once it's on basic cable and people can actually watch it :ols:

I hope this channel doesn't blow it like NBCSN has done.

Well it takes time. You have to wait until major contracts come up until you can make any real progress. I think NBCSN is doing fine, but they were not going to knock it out of the park at first. None of these networks is going to, it is going to take years. It is going to depend on what contracts they can pry away. Chances are, in ten years you will have ESPN and another one of these networks while the others have folded. I don't think all of them will be able to survive.

Between Fox Sports 1 and NBC Sports Network, we could be seeing the begining of the end of ESPN's domminence. It would be nice if CBS Sports Network step their game up some more too.

The first thing that one of them has to do is get the NBA games from ESPN. The current deal ends after the 2015-16 season.

And in the process save us fom Wilbon and Magic trying to be funny and cool while covering the NBA. They are so freakin bad!

Archived