Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:Top Five Redskin Free Agent Acquisitions (1993-2012)

Lavarleap56

I know this is after 1993, but one player that we picked up as a "free agent" before there was the free agency you know today is Wilbur Marshall.

Marshall was a beast. I loved watching him play and get after the passer. We could use another one like him on the team now.

Marcus Washington anyone?

I like Marcus Washington a lot but was he here long enough to beat out anyone on this list?

He also was on some bad teams too, unfortunately. If you are picking one dude from that era I'd say it was Springs.

I like Marcus Washington a lot but was he here long enough to beat out anyone on this list?

He also was on some bad teams too, unfortunately. If you are picking one dude from that era I'd say it was Springs.

I think he was. One All Pro, and two alternate seasons with us, constitutes success from an individual perspective. I think it wouldn't be totally out of question to have him on that list, despite the lousy teams/ era he was in DC. He was here for 5 seasons, and 3/5 considered among the top in the game.

Springs was great, but I'd probably put that other corners whos name shall not be spoken ahead of him.

That '04 defense was nasty. Just nasty. I can't really argue with any selection, but Marcus Washington was indeed a beast. I also loved the energy he played with. He was like a little kid playing out there at times. You could tell that he really loved the game.

Agreed. If anything, I think Washington was the best player on that defense that year

Agreed. If anything, I think Washington was the best player on that defense that year

I'd have to agree. I mean I'll give Springs his props... 6 sacks and 5 int's is an all pro year, but when you look at the guys we had in the secondary (Sean Taylor, Matt Bowen, Fred Smoot, Walt Harris, Ryan Clark) it really made life a little easier for him. For the majority of the Gibbs II years, we always had a top 5 pass defense. In that one year, Marcus Washington was a straight up beast. Blitzing, coverage, run stopping. Dude was an animal.

That '04 defense was nasty. Just nasty. I can't really argue with any selection, but Marcus Washington was indeed a beast. I also loved the energy he played with. He was like a little kid playing out there at times. You could tell that he really loved the game.

If we had anything resembling a NFL-level offense that year, we would've made the playoffs. We were close in alot of games, because of the defense. They were flying around and constantly getting pressure on the Qb. All that we really had on offense was Clinton.. it was a real shame we couldn't do more that year. And that we didn't keep Pierce after the year he had.

If we had anything resembling a NFL-level offense that year, we would've made the playoffs. We were close in alot of games, because of the defense. They were flying around and constantly getting pressure on the Qb. All that we really had on offense was Clinton.. it was a real shame we couldn't do more that year. And that we didn't keep Pierce after the year he had.

We knocked the hell out of people. Amazing what we did without a consistent pass rush from the d-line. They all just blitzed like they had the Rage Virus. That year was a lost cause very early, but it was fun just seeing what our defense would do from week to week. No game was ever completely out of reach.

If we had drafted Ben Rapistberger instead of ST in 04 and started him from day 1, Gibbs II would've been completely different, and Saint Joe would've stayed all 5 years.

Springs had the absolute best post-DG season of any corner in 04, but he didn't stay healthy long enough for him to make this list in my view. Randy Thomas was worth every penny, and Griffin was really the MVP of the GW era.

Sean Gilbert in a round about way was our best signing, because the Panthers giving us 2 #1s for him which gave us the Ricky Williams deal which gave us Roland Bailey, Jansen, and Arrington (or was it Samuels?...which would be better still)

But I agree with the list. Though leaving Randy Thomas off the list is tough.

Yeah Randy was good up until 2006.. After that he just couldn't get himself together health-wise. He was either injured or constantly played hurt, which ultimately affected his performance.

---------- Post added February-27th-2013 at 11:19 AM ----------

If we had drafted Ben Rapistberger instead of ST in 04 and started him from day 1, Gibbs II would've been completely different, and Saint Joe would've stayed all 5 years.

Springs had the absolute best post-DG season of any corner in 04, but he didn't stay healthy long enough for him to make this list in my view. Randy Thomas was worth every penny, and Griffin was really the MVP of the GW era.

:ols: @ the bolded.. otherwise, that was the blunder of getting Brunell... We ended up passing on so much Qb talent in the 04 draft.. Heck we could've still drafted Sean in the fist round and then Matt Schaub in the later rounds.. But i agree Springs was a God-send. Another guy who couldn't stay heathy toward the end of his tenure.

:ols: @ the bolded.. otherwise, that was the blunder of getting Brunell... We ended up passing on so much Qb talent in the 04 draft.. Heck we could've still drafted Sean in the fist round and then Matt Schaub in the later rounds.. But i agree Springs was a God-send. Another guy who couldn't stay heathy toward the end of his tenure.

Gotta remember that Gibbs didn't originally want to draft Sean Taylor. He wanted to draft Kellen Winslow, Jr.

Thank God for our scouts and Clinton Portis...

Archived