Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jodi Arias Thread, since none has been started.

Malapropismic Depository

And I disagree about the blonde thing. She definitely is hotter as a brunette (without glasses). And some of the pics taken of her are pretty damn hot. It's almost comical how homely the defense has her on the stand.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this defense approach. My logic tells me that, for multiple reasons, she has a better chance at being acquitted, if she appears extremely attractive in court.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this defense approach. My logic tells me that, for multiple reasons, she has a better chance at being acquitted, if she appears extremely attractive in court.
Actually, I think it's the complete opposite. That's why defense attorneys do it. Look at the Anthony case not long ago. She was also attractive. Yet, her attorney had her looking like a street person. It's a pretty common practice.

What is the logic behind it ?

Not sure. Besides the attractiveness part (which I honestly find pointless, in terms of helping/hurting her) I just think it makes her look even more cold, compared to what she looks like in those pictures. Her whole demeanor seems cold, not that that would matter either. She could be wearing a skimpy outfit, get her hair done, etc while batting her lashes at everybody in the courtroom, and it wouldn't matter (imo) when you look at the facts.

Not sure. Besides the attractiveness part (which I honestly find pointless, in terms of helping/hurting her) I just think it makes her look even more cold, compared to what she looks like in those pictures. Her whole demeanor seems cold, not that that would matter either. She could be wearing a skimpy outfit, get her hair done, etc while batting her lashes at everybody in the courtroom, and it wouldn't matter (imo) when you look at the facts.
I honestly don't know why defense attorneys do it. I just know that it happens quite often. Maybe they figure she will get more sympathy if she's less attractive? I have no idea.

You're right, though, in this particular case, I don't think what she looks like in court is gonna matter. The facts definitely aren't in her favor. As I said several weeks ago, I don't think she's gonna necessarily get the death penalty, but I don't see any way she avoids life in prison.

I honestly don't know why defense attorneys do it. I just know that it happens quite often. Maybe they figure she will get more sympathy if she's less attractive? I have no idea.

You're right, though, in this particular case, I don't think what she looks like in court is gonna matter. The facts definitely aren't in her favor. As I said several weeks ago, I don't think she's gonna necessarily get the death penalty, but I don't see any way she avoids life in prison.

If I had to guess, I would say that the reason why DA's do that is so that they don't get the public to think that their clients are more worried about the way they look than they are with their own trial. Kind of like the "Appropriate" style of dress for places like funerals, job interviews, the job itself, etc

Foot in mouth moment of the day: I've been back in my hometown area for awhile and walked into the gym to workout tonight. Anyway, CNN was covering the trial for a short segment and I stopped in the lobby to watch for a minute. The front desk guy was watching the with me as well so I turned to him and said "you know this crazy chick?"...to which he replied "yeah, she's my cousin." Whoops. :ols: Poor guy, I felt really badly for saying that because I'm sure he's having to deal with fallout from this insanity. He was very nice about it telling me not to feel badly and that he knows she's scary insane and hopes the trial ends in a verdict that will keep her in jail forever.

Man, the prosecutor is destroying this chic.

She isn't doing herself any favors either. Her attitude on the stand (smugness, smirking, sarcasm, etc.) is going to destroy any sympathy jurors may have had toward her.

I have no idea why her defense team isn't instructing her to play up the whole "helpless victim" aspect. Seems like an idiotic strategy to me, but maybe they have counseled her to act like an abused victim and she's just not listening to them. Personally, I think she's so arrogant she thinks she can go toe-to-toe with the prosecutor and articulate her story more effectively than he can destroy it.

The other thing that bothers me, but this is just me, if you know you murdered someone, the evidence is overwelmingly against you and there is no way out....why would you fight the death penalty? Especially if you are a young person under the age of 35. Would any of you want to spend the next 40 or 50 years on prison, knowing you would never get out of an 8 by 10 cell? I'm 45 and at this point, if I were ever convicted, just give me the needle. I'm not spending the rest of my days in that environment. She's 32 years old. No way. Just kill me if I'm at that age.

The other thing that bothers me, but this is just me, if you know you murdered someone, the evidence is overwelmingly against you and there is no way out....why would you fight the death penalty? Especially if you are a young person under the age of 35. Would any of you want to spend the next 40 or 50 years on prison, knowing you would never get out of an 8 by 10 cell? I'm 45 and at this point, if I were ever convicted, just give me the needle. I'm not spending the rest of my days in that environment. She's 32 years old. No way. Just kill me if I'm at that age.

Wait until Large Marge gets a hold of her in there (assuming she doesn't get the death penalty)... I bet she'll want it then.

The other thing that bothers me, but this is just me, if you know you murdered someone, the evidence is overwelmingly against you and there is no way out....why would you fight the death penalty? /QUOTE]

Because she is delusional. I guarantee you she absolutely believes she will get a not guilty verdict. When the verdict comes, she will be shocked and insist it is a conspiracy of some sort.

For the normal person, you're probably right.

However, some of the stories I've read over the past few years indicate she enjoys almost celebrity status in the jail. She's made lots of friends and won a frickin holiday singing competition wwhere her prize was a regular Thanksgiving feast with all the trimmings. :rolleyes: When she was first arrested, she went on record saying if she was convicted, she would rather have the death penalty over life in prison. I guess over the years she's been in jail and experienced how "not bad" it is, she's changed her tune....

What annoys me is how networks determine which murders are "Worthy" of being reported, and obsessed over

Definitely a valid point. Very much annoys me too...although I've obviously paid close attention to this case for the past few years.

I agree. Thousands of cases happen every day

This is just more fodder for Nancy Grace, who has got to be one of the most despicable television talking heads out there. I fail to see the appeal of this case

Yes, thousands of cases happen every day. However, how many of those have as many interesting details as this one? Remember, this happened in 2008, so this Jodi chic would have been about 27. She is pretty attractive. Or was, until she went to prison. And I guess a lot of women might have found Travis attractive? Anyway, this case is very interesting. Lots of talk of sex. A girl who murders her bf in a jealous rage. That's juicy stuff.

And what exactly has Nancy Grace ever done to be called "dispicable"? I guess I'm missing something there. I think she's great.

---------- Post added February-27th-2013 at 12:50 AM ----------

The other thing that bothers me, but this is just me, if you know you murdered someone, the evidence is overwelmingly against you and there is no way out....why would you fight the death penalty? /QUOTE]

Because she is delusional. I guarantee you she absolutely believes she will get a not guilty verdict. When the verdict comes, she will be shocked and insist it is a conspiracy of some sort.

A lot of people fight the death penalty because there's always the chance of an appeal, should they lose their case.

Watching Season 5 Behind the Scenes commentary of "The Wire"

Sensationalism drives ratings.

"What the public wants is the blonde who gets lost in Aruba instead of the daily grind of the life in the slums of the city"

So we're all going to be sheep instead of following the real issues. The way the media covers crap like this should make you mad. It's a disgrace. This story is uninteresting.

And what exactly has Nancy Grace ever done to be called "dispicable"? I guess I'm missing something there. I think she's great.

I guess because she makes money by sensationalizing someone's death.

However, if my daughter went missing, I'd want her ALL over it.

The killing evidence of 29 stab wounds, a throat slashing, plus the gunshot wound sure do point to an act of rage of passion, as opposed to an act or story of self-defense.

Those things are not really opposites. You could say that 29 stab wounds a throat slashing and a gunshot is evidence of someone who was terrified for their life and acting completely irrationally out of fear, which in its own way is similar to rage or passion.

I know nothing about this case and haven't been following it. I'm not talking about her specifically.

But generally if you're in a self-defense situation and you emptied the clip then beat the corpse, that would be favorable evidence for your story. Whereas a single shot to the head would suggest someone who was acting calmly and deliberately, and evidence of premeditation.

Archived