Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Washington Nationals - ".500 or bust...."

-9-

DC to Baltimore = 41 miles

DC to San Francisco = 2814 miles

You see the difference? I mean really, I'm not sure I thought about the Giants outside of the six times we played, let alone cared about them.

Eh, I post in the Caps thread about the Sabres.

But, the difference is, I'm not there to talk crap. I'm there to talk hockey. I think Predicto was fine here. Messing around and then talking baseball. I don't mind that. It's fun to talk with other teams fans instead of just your own as long as its friendly. The problem is when it gets too heated. No sense in coming into the Nats thread to talk trash. *shrug*

DC to Baltimore = 41 miles

DC to San Francisco = 2814 miles

You see the difference? I mean really, I'm not sure I thought about the Giants outside of the six times we played, let alone cared about them.

SF=NL

Bal=AL

You see the difference? You were trolling away in the Orioles 2012 thread as soon as the season started. Well before the O's/Nats played each other. Yet here you are, complaining about people taking about the WS Champs in a Nats thread. Nice Hypocrisy.

SF=NL

Bal=AL

You see the difference? You were trolling away in the Orioles 2012 thread as soon as the season started. Well before the O's/Nats played each other. Yet here you are, complaining about people taking about the WS Champs in a Nats thread. Nice Hypocrisy.

How about we all just quit the silly back and forth and talk baseball? I don't care what teams are discussed as long as its in a civil manner.

Let's all be friends.

In fact, I'll start with a song:

"Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase

Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy

Hakuna Matata!

Hakuna Matata?

Yeah. It's our motto!

What's a motto?

Nothing. What's a-motto with you?"

And now I picture Zimm singing that in his photoshopped outfit in the African landscape. And I'm laughing. Out loud. I'm getting funny looks.

Fish Falls From Sky at Nats Practice:

Bird Drops Crappie on Nats Field, Misses Denard Span

File this one away under Weird Things That Happen at Spring Training: The Washington Nationals got an unexpected guest Thursday during batting practice. And it wasn't a racing president. It was a fish.

As the Washington Post tells us, an osprey was flying over the outfield with a fish in its mouth ... when the bird dropped the fish onto the field.

We know what you're thinking. No, it wasn't a gift from the Baseball Gods to Bryce Harper, nor was it a welcome-to-the-team gift for new outfielder Denard Span. Span, however, did watch the whole thing happen. The Post has a video of Span talking about the incident.

He said:

“I kept thinking, that’s his dinner. That’s his food. As I was looking down at the fish, I didn’t want him to think that I was trying to take his dinner and have the bird come from behind me or come from the sky and try to attack me. I kept my head on a swivel and made sure the bird didn’t catch me slipping. I’ve never seen that on a baseball field. I’ve seen it on TV, you know, bird carrying their dinner. I’ll tell you what, that bird definitely didn’t have good hands. He dropped his dinner.”

From the Post:

As far as Span is concerned, seeing it once was enough.

“I’m from Florida, but I’ve been fishing maybe twice in my life, he said. “I’m scared of fish, scared of birds. The only thing I’m not scared of is probably, like, an ant or something like that. I don’t know what it is. I don’t like to get my hands dirty, other than clay and dirt.”

The Nats team blog talked to Desmond, who is slightly more of an outdoorsman than Span, about his role in the event.

“It was a pretty big fish,” he told the blog. “I think it was a crappie.

“I’ve been fishing my whole life,” he added. “I’ve grabbed plenty of fish before.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/02/14/nats-practice-interrupted-by-fish-falling-from-the-sky/

http://www.csnwashington.com/baseball-washington-nationals/talk/soriano-gets-visa-headed-nationals-camp

Soriano gets visa, headed to Nationals camp

VIERA, Fla. -- Rafael Soriano is en route to Nationals spring training after his work visa was approved this morning in the Dominican Republic.

The Nationals' newly signed closer had been unable to report with his fellow pitchers and catchers on Tuesday because he was still waiting on paperwork in his native country. He missed Thursday's first official workout and again wasn't present for today's session on the practice fields adjacent to Space Coast Stadium but could be in uniform as soon as Saturday morning.

"The word I got was they stamped his visa this morning," manager Davey Johnson said. "I don't know what the travel plans are, but I imagine he'll be here sometime tomorrow. I'm not worried about that. I'm glad he got his visa."

Soriano, 33, signed a two-year, $28 million contract -- $14 million of that is deferred -- on January 17, a surprising move considering the Nationals already had two other right-handers with closing experience in Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard.

Johnson, though, plans to use Soriano (who saved 42 games last season for the Yankees) as his primary closer, with Storen getting some opportunities when Soriano needs a break.

From Baseball America's 2013 list of the Nats' Top Prospects

1. Anthony Rendon, 3b Born: Jun 6, 1990 B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-0 Wt.: 195

Drafted: Rice, 2011 (1st round). Signed by: Tyler Wilt

Background: Rendon is one of the most accomplished college players of the last decade, and his rise to elite prospect status has been slowed only by a succession of injuries. A 27th-round pick by the Braves out of Houston's Lamar High in 2008, Rendon burst onto the national scene at Rice the following spring, hitting .388/.461/.702 with 20 homers to win Baseball America's Freshman of the Year award. He tore ligaments in his right ankle after stepping on a sprinkler head in during NCAA super regionals that June, but he rebounded to hit .394/.530/.801 with 26 homers in 2010 to win BA College Player of the Year honors. Once again his summer was lost to injury, as he broke the same ankle while running the bases in his second game with the U.S. collegiate national team. A strained throwing shoulder largely limited him to DH duties as a junior, and he got few pitches to hit. Rendon still ranked as the 2011 draft's top prospect, but uncertainty about his shoulder caused him to drop to the Nationals as the sixth overall pick. He signed a $7.2 million big league contract that including a $6 million bonus at the Aug. 15 deadline. After a stellar spring training, Rendon once more succumbed to the injury bug on April 7, slightly fracturing his left ankle while running the bases in his second pro game. He returned to action on July 19 and quickly reached Double-A Harrisburg, but he didn't truly find his stride until the Arizona Fall League, where he batted .338/.436/.494.

Scouting Report: Rendon stands out most for his strong, lightning-quick hands. Rendon's tension-free swing allows him to stay back and then whip his bat through the zone, generating hard line drives from foul pole to foul pole. He has excellent balance, advanced pitch recognition and a patient approach (as evidenced by his 176-78 BB-K ratio at Rice), though his timing and pitch selection were off somewhat in his injury-shortened 2012 pro debut. Though he isn't overly physical, he has enough leverage in his swing to hit 20 or more homers annually while contending for batting titles. Rendon compiled an impressive defensive highlight reel in college, and the Nationals have been impressed with his body control, hands, footwork and instincts. He had a plus arm at Rice, but it now rates as more of a solid tool. He also has lost a step or two after his three ankle injuries, making him a slightly below-average runner.

The Future: If he can stay healthy, Rendon can be an all-star third baseman with a middle-of-the-order bat and quality defensive skills. But with Ryan Zimmerman in his prime and locked into Washington's third-base job for the foreseeable future, Rendon figures to wind up elsewhere—perhaps second base, where he has played on occasion in college and in spring training. He figures to return to Double-A to start 2013, and he could get his first taste of the majors later in the year because his skills are advanced.

From Baseball America's 2013 list of the Nats' Top Prospects

If..if...if...Time will tell with Rendon. I hope he's the stud he's projected to be. He's got to stay healthy & progress this year.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but the trash heap is piled high with talent & hope. This guy needs to step up this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/02/18/the-adjustment-stephen-strasburg-wants-to-make/

Strasburg is one of the most breathtaking pitchers in the majors because of the mind-bending pathways his pitches travel. Curveballs curl like boomerangs, change-ups dive like a balloon running out of air and fastballs dart sideways, all while moving at abnormally high velocities.

And this, to Strasburg, presents something to be improved. The crazy movement can be hell on hitters, of course. But the big breaks in his pitches also make it easier for batters to differentiate between them. When a pitch breaks a lot, it probably starts breaking early, allowing a hitter to follow its path to the plate. Strasburg would prefer to have his pitches move less, but with more purpose.

“A hitter can see it,” Strasburg said. “Obviously, it looks cooler on TV when you’re watching it, when a guy is throwing something that’s move like this” – Strasburg waved his hand in a sweeping motion – “or dropping off. But a hitter can see it a lot earlier. I’m trying to get away from that and get more consistent, tighter pitches that are going to break maybe a little bit less, but sharper and later.”

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21733162

Also within Quinn's and Fish's piece is this important note about Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez, who was named in the original Miami New Times report:

According to two sources familiar with Bosch's operation, however, the Washington Nationals' Gio Gonzalez, previously identified as being named in Biogenesis documents, did not receive banned substances from Bosch or the clinic.

Archived