Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Chris Culliver (49ers CB) wouldn't accept openly gay player

Hiro

This post sounds like you don't think that people can act like adults and not hit on everything that moves.

no its not that at all.

its like the analogy i first mentioned, men cant be in locker rooms with woman and vice versa not because they cant control themselves but because of obvious reasons i shouldnt even need to mention.

now times are changing for civil rights for gay men and women which is a very good thing but because of that there are some unintended consequences like the fact that now sexual uncomfortability (for lack of a better way of saying it) is now more than just between men and women.

I can't help but think that, from high school, through college, and now in the NFL, these guys have seen a whoooooooooooollllleee lotta naked men.

The awkwardness, as has been pointed out, has to come from a sense that every gay dude wants ever guys body. But these guys see each other in the shower every day. Cooley very, VERY bluntly talked about Jabar Gaffney's, um, er, uh..."sizeable member". You see things in a lockerroom.

It's just weird to think that if you spent time in a lockerroom with a guy all the time, all the sudden you'd get self-conscious because he was gay. Then it matters. Before, not so much. After it matters a lot.

At any rate, Culliver was a dumbass for saying it, and his walking back of the comments makes him seem even dumber.

I also find it ironic that this came from someone in the San Francisco 49ers lockerroom.

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 11:56 PM ----------

Um...did someone tell them, that, like, it's up? On the internet? Where people can see it?

no its not that at all.

its like the analogy i first mentioned, men cant be in locker rooms with woman and vice versa not because they cant control themselves but because of obvious reasons i shouldnt even need to mention.

now times are changing for civil rights for gay men and women which is a very good thing but because of that there are some unintended consequences like the fact that now sexual uncomfortability (for lack of a better way of saying it) is now more than just between men and women.

Exactly. I could be in a lockerroom full of naked women and I'd never say something inappropriate, that isn't the issue. For all the talk about being family, we know how guys think. There are no platonic friendships between men and women, or, at the very least, they are exceedingly rare, especially during the ages of a player's career.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being uncomfortable about being naked around a gay man. It's not hate, it's the same reason most guys are uncomfortable with being naked around girls and vice versa. Culliver made dumb statements, I think had he just phrased it as that he would be uncomfortable with it then it would be more agreeable.

Culliver made dumb statements, I think had he just phrased it as that he would be uncomfortable with it then it would be more agreeable.

What about the part where he said the teammate should keep it to themselves and not come out for ten years? That goes slightly beyond "it makes me uncomfortable".

And again, these guys have spent their whole lives in lockerrooms, in showers, etc.,. It just seems weird that having your dangly bits out around other dudes is perfectly fine and just a part of football until a dude that you probably already know and don't have problems with says he's gay. Then you get self-conscious.

What about the part where he said the teammate should keep it to themselves and not come out for ten years? That goes slightly beyond "it makes me uncomfortable".

And again, these guys have spent their whole lives in lockerrooms, in showers, etc.,. It just seems weird that having your dangly bits out around other dudes is perfectly fine and just a part of football until a dude that you probably already know and don't have problems with says he's gay. Then you get self-conscious.

Well that's the dumb statement he said. It's not an issue of having a problem with the guy. I don't have problems with women, but I also don't want them in the men's lockerroom. The reason being naked around other guys is ok is because you don't believe you're being sexually judged. Whether they are or not, it's the feeling that is disconcerting.

Well that's the dumb statement he said. It's not an issue of having a problem with the guy. I don't have problems with women, but I also don't want them in the men's lockerroom. The reason being naked around other guys is ok is because you don't believe you're being sexually judged. Whether they are or not, it's the feeling that is disconcerting.

That sort of goes back to the idea that every gay guy is sizing up every straight dude.

That sort of goes back to the idea that every gay guy is sizing up every straight dude.

Yes, which obviously doesn't happen, just like every guy doesn't size up every girl, yet they wouldn't be comfortable in the same lockerroom. And certainly they would check out some guys, how could you not check out tom brady?

Yes, which obviously doesn't happen, just like every guy doesn't size up every girl, yet they wouldn't be comfortable in the same lockerroom. And certainly they would check out some guys, how could you not check out tom brady?

...I couldn't check of Tom Brady because I'm straight, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

To be honest, there's nothing stopping any straight dude from oggling anyone else in the lockerroom. Likewise, I'd imagine a gay athlete could be professional and put his sexual preferences aside in a lockerroom. I get that it makes dudes uncomfortable, but again, a lot of it comes off sort of arrogant. "Certainly they would check out some guys". Maybe no one in the lockerroo is his type, or making he can be a mature adult and not have an ever growing pool of drool around them.

Exactly. I could be in a lockerroom full of naked women and I'd never say something inappropriate, that isn't the issue. For all the talk about being family, we know how guys think. There are no platonic friendships between men and women, or, at the very least, they are exceedingly rare, especially during the ages of a player's career.

If you think that platonic friendships between men and women are rare to non-existent, then you're doing it wrong.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 04:44 PM ----------

You know, and I don't know what you look like and I'm not talking about you in particular, but a lot of the people who say **** like this are really unattractive to begin with. Rejecting gays in any location is a way of protecting himself from being rejected by both genders.

Browser error posted it twice.

...I couldn't check of Tom Brady because I'm straight, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

To be honest, there's nothing stopping any straight dude from oggling anyone else in the lockerroom. Likewise, I'd imagine a gay athlete could be professional and put his sexual preferences aside in a lockerroom. I get that it makes dudes uncomfortable, but again, a lot of it comes off sort of arrogant. "Certainly they would check out some guys". Maybe no one in the lockerroo is his type, or making he can be a mature adult and not have an ever growing pool of drool around them.

There's a difference between checking out and hitting on though. Hitting on is unprofessional, checking out just happens. If your boss is attractive you may check her out, but you'd never hit on her. I expound on this in the last paragraph.

If you think that platonic friendships between men and women are rare to non-existent, then you're doing it wrong.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 04:44 PM ----------

You know, and I don't know what you look like and I'm not talking about you in particular, but a lot of the people who say **** like this are really unattractive to begin with. Rejecting gays in any location is a way of protecting himself from being rejected by both genders.

Browser error posted it twice.

Haha, don't argue with me, argue with psychologists. I'm not talking about acquaintances, but actual close friendships. People who make that comment, and I'm not talking about you in particular, have a lot of buttfaced, inbred ugly friends if they're not at all attracted to them (see what I did there?). Attraction isn't a choice, acting on it is.

Rejecting gays in any location is a way of protecting himself? What kind of science is that? Firstly, I've been hit on by at least 3 gay coworkers, so I'm at least not super unattractive. Haha, but secondly, it has NOTHING to do with rejection. Would you mind your kid naked in a YMCA lockerroom? I don't think most people have a problem with that. Now, if you knew that lockerroom had a pedophile in it, are you still as comfortable? What if your kid wasn't that pedo's type, does that make you feel more comfortable? That pedo doesn't have to say or do anything inappropriate and yet I GUARANTEE most parents would want him banned from the lockerroom. Make no mistake, I'm not comparing homosexuality to pedophilia; homosexuals are consenting adults and what they do behind closed doors is their business, and note my example could very well be men in a women's lockerroom compared to pedophiles around kids, but in the sense of attraction it is comparable. Has nothing to do with rejection or even inappropriate action.

Wait, 3 guys hit on you? All in the same building? Somethings off. Clearly you are unknowingly sending signals that you don't mean to send...

Oddly enough 3 different jobs. Friendliness is often seen as attraction, girls get that all the time from their guy friends. But slow down bro, I've also been hit on by some rather beastly women too. It's a curse.

Archived