Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From Backwoods Home Magazine: 2nd Amendment, the Bill of Rights...long read, but worth it

ZoEd

There's plenty of home invasion stories to make that fear genuine and that desire to protect real. It happens quite often... much more often than any 'mass' shootings, (ie; more than 3 or 4 shot.)

Home protection is an entirely different subject, and I would think that a REPUTABLE gun seller will guide an uninformed buyer to a proper weapon for the task. typically not a heavy rifle.

~Bang

There's plenty of home invasion stories to make that fear genuine and that desire to protect real. It happens quite often... much more often than any 'mass' shootings, (ie; more than 3 or 4 shot.)

Home protection is an entirely different subject, and I would think that a REPUTABLE gun seller will guide an uninformed buyer to a proper weapon for the task. typically not a heavy rifle.

~Bang

No question armed intrusion in domestic propert happens in the US - though I doubt there are many or indeed any cases which involve 4 or more intruders. It's interesting to note that armed robbery - at least with guns - of domestic premises in the UK is very rare. Our police are not armed and neither are the vast number of households so maybe the absence if handguns in the general population means criminals don't feel the need to be armed either?

All that said I do see and accept the argument about guns in the home as legitimate self defence. I just feel that argument is not strong enough to justify the quantity of weapons in circulation in the US or the number of deaths that occur from these weapons every year.

No question armed intrusion in domestic propert happens in the US - though I doubt there are many or indeed any cases which involve 4 or more intruders. It's interesting to note that armed robbery - at least with guns - of domestic premises in the UK is very rare. Our police are not armed and neither are the vast number of households so maybe the absence if handguns in the general population means criminals don't feel the need to be armed either?

All that said I do see and accept the argument about guns in the home as legitimate self defence. I just feel that argument is not strong enough to justify the quantity of weapons in circulation in the US or the number of deaths that occur from these weapons every year.

I hate to use it, but I prime example of one is Sean Taylor. 3 guys broke into his home and shot him.

The problem is that guns get into the hands of 'bad guys'. I personally don't feel the solution is putting restrictions on everyone. That puts me, a good guy :), at a disadvantage. I realize there is no easy answer to preventing bad guys from getting guns. But the good guys shouldn't be left more vulnerable for decades as we wait for the trickle down effect to reach the bad guys. I want 17 rounds in my pistol at all times. I feel less protected with 7...regardless of what anyone says.

The problem is that guns get into the hands of 'bad guys'. I personally don't feel the solution is putting restrictions on everyone. That puts me, a good guy :), at a disadvantage. I realize there is no easy answer to preventing bad guys from getting guns. But the good guys shouldn't be left more vulnerable for decades as we wait for the trickle down effect to reach the bad guys. I want 17 rounds in my pistol at all times. I feel less protected with 7...regardless of what anyone says.

Actually,. there is one easy answer.

To let the good guys police the bad guys.. ie the minority of gun dealers who sell to criminals.

Uncuff the ATF. Very simple. Overturn the legislation the NRA wrote that puts the police in a bottle. Get rid of their puppets in congress.

But to do that, we'd have to get people to realize who's really causing the problem.. and that's the hard part, because propaganda has been long entrenched.

~Bang

I hate to use it, but I prime example of one is Sean Taylor. 3 guys broke into his home and shot him.
Would Sean Taylor have been better off with:

(1) a machete

(2) a double-barrel shotgun

(3) a handgun with a ten-round clip

(4) an assault rifle with a 30-round magazine

Would Sean Taylor have been better off with:

(1) a machete

(2) a double-barrel shotgun

(3) a handgun with a ten-round clip

(4) an assault rifle with a 30-round magazine

5) A weapon he was trained and comfortable with. Could be 2, 3, or 4.

edit: Just FYI..."clip" really isn't the appropriate term to use. "Magazine" is the word that defines both what is used in the handgun and the "assault rifle"

As i recall, taylor was prtohibited from owning a gun because he shot it off in his ATV incident.

Hate to say it, It's damned unfortunate what happened, but he sort of screwed himself out of his right to protect his home by acting irresponsibly with his guns.

if he wasn't who he was. I doubt there'd be much sympathy.

~Bang

As i recall, taylor was prtohibited from owning a gun because he shot it off in his ATV incident.

Hate to say it, It's damned unfortunate what happened, but he sort of screwed himself out of his right to protect his home by acting irresponsibly with his guns.

if he wasn't who he was. I doubt there'd be much sympathy.

~Bang

He "brandished" not shot. But yeah, he was not legally authorized to own a gun. Nor should he have been

5) A weapon he was trained and comfortable with. Could be 2, 3, or 4.
You have to embrace the hypothetical question here. If you could go back in time and train Sean Taylor on a gun that he would have in his bedroom on the night that the intruders came in, which gun would it be?

You have to embrace the hypothetical question here. If you could go back in time and train Sean Taylor on a gun that he would have in his bedroom on the night that the intruders came in, which gun would it be?

Way too many variables here both with respect to this particular incident(we know some vague generalities) and the Sean himself. How much "training" does he want? What is his feeling of "threat"? If you decided to ask me for advice on "buying a weapon for protection" I would have a long list of questions to ask you. Most of the questions would likely be used to decide between the pistol or shotgun(although I would likely go with a single barrel pump action than a double barrel.)

Way too many variables here both with respect to this particular incident(we know some vague generalities) and the Sean himself. How much "training" does he want? What is his feeling of "threat"? If you decided to ask me for advice on "buying a weapon for protection" I would have a long list of questions to ask you. Most of the questions would likely be used to decide between the pistol or shotgun(although I would likely go with a single barrel pump action than a double barrel.)

Yeah my list for others ends up with short barrel pump 8 times out of 10.

Actually,. there is one easy answer.

To let the good guys police the bad guys.. ie the minority of gun dealers who sell to criminals.

Uncuff the ATF. Very simple. Overturn the legislation the NRA wrote that puts the police in a bottle. Get rid of their puppets in congress.

But to do that, we'd have to get people to realize who's really causing the problem.. and that's the hard part, because propaganda has been long entrenched.

~Bang

OK what legislation specifically has handcuffed police and the ATF. Please provide with stats to back up this claim.

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 09:15 PM ----------

Yeah.. that's right. and Fla. has some rather liberal gun laws.

~Bang

They also have pretty harsh penalties as well.

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 09:17 PM ----------

Yeah my list for others ends up with short barrel pump 8 times out of 10.

Kal-Tec KSG Dual tube shotgun

KSG_3357web.jpg

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 09:18 PM ----------

But those are isolated incidents and no connection should be made between them, and the fact that guns were involved in each of thos deaths must be ignored.

How many car fatalities?

Archived