Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle's play calling against Seattle. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

s0crates

I think you have to look at the situations we were in. Also, Seattle did a good job stuffing the run after the first couple drives especially once RG3 starting limping. They wanted to try to pass to open things up a little for Morris, we just couldn't get it going.

This wasn't a pound Morris type of game, we definitely could have ran more but I don't know that the results would have been much different without us being able to effectively pass.

I think your right and I don't think we could have made it any farther than next week either. RG3 has been hurting worse than us fans were told. We all saw that these last 3 weeks.

Why don't we tip our cap to the coaches and players for the incredible ride and hope that everyone uses today's game as a learning opportunity? There are probably 50 decisions that could have gone differently, but that happens in any game.

This wasn't some random 3rd down call, this was a ridiculous decision to abandon what got us up 14-0 in the first place with our QB playing at 30% of his normal level.

This wasn't some random 3rd down call, this was a ridiculous decision to abandon what got us up 14-0 in the first place with our QB playing at 30% of his normal level.

OK. I thought we could have run the ball a little more too, but to maintain possession and move the ball we were going to have to complete passes. I know that some people have to blame people for losses or negative outcomes, but sometimes things just happen. I prefer to reflect on the lessons we might learn from our 7 losses and the confidence we might have gained from our 10 wins. To each his own.

OK. I thought we could have run the ball a little more too, but to maintain possession and move the ball we were going to have to complete passes. I know that some people have to blame people for losses or negative outcomes, but sometimes things just happen. I prefer to reflect on the lessons we might learn from our 7 losses and the confidence we might have gained from our 10 wins. To each his own.

I never said "I blame Kyle", in fact I defended him saying he crafted a top 5 offense this season. I simply said it was not wise to completely abandon the run when our QB was playing literally injured.

I never said "I blame Kyle", in fact I defended him saying he crafted a top 5 offense this season. I simply said it was not wise to completely abandon the run when our QB was playing literally injured.

Sorry, I don't mean you specifically...just all the negative threads blaming Kyle's play calling or Shanahan's decision to not bench Griffin or Griffin's refusal to admit he was injured...

I prefer to acknowledge that we limped into this game as an underdog and had a Hell of a season. I already have the perpective of what this means in the big picture. Maybe this is MY problem and I should know better on the night of a loss.

One thing I thought about - did Kyle Shanahan doom his chances for sincere interest as a head coaching candidate for next season with this game? The abandonment of the run, when we were having so much effectiveness with it in the first half, still leaves me wondering what the hell was going on.

I hope so, he did a good job this year and i want him back.

Sorry, I don't mean you specifically...just all the negative threads blaming Kyle's play calling or Shanahan's decision to not bench Griffin or Griffin's refusal to admit he was injured...

I prefer to acknowledge that we limped into this game as an underdog and had a Hell of a season. I already have the perpective of what this means in the big picture. Maybe this is MY problem and I should know better on the night of a loss.

I'm happy with the season. 100%, just commenting on what happened this particular game.

I have a slightly different take on this. I believe our coaches feel that the O-line is not as good unless RGIII is back there as a dual threat. With a healthy RGIII doing his thing, it is freezing the defense, making them guess, giving RGIII the power to change the play on the fly, in mid snap of the ball. That severely improves the efficiency of the O-line.

I have noticed a disturbing trend with the O-line, which is that whenever it is perceived by the opposing defense that RGIII is not healthy, or can't move, the defenses adjust and our O-line suddenly can't run block the same way.

Remember folks, the zone-blocking scheme is designed using smaller-sized O-lineman, to take advantage of speed and blocking on the outside. They aren't the type that play the Joe Gibbs smash-mouth "line up and bowl over the d-lineman" style of running.

Morris as a rusher, really took off as RGIII's zone read option threat got into the heads of opposing defenses. Take that element away and suddenly the O-line has to try and lineup and out power the defenders and that isn't their strength.

I still say the O-line is going to go through some changes ultimately over the next couple of seasons, to become an O-line that can power a running game regardless of how much RGIII is running around or not.

In the future RGIII's running and mobility will be an added bonus for the offense, not the catalyst the way it is right now. That however, is going to take some more drafting and free agent signings to happen.

I'm happy with the season. 100%, just commenting on what happened this particular game.

As the OP, I would like to echo this sentiment. I thought I made it clear, but maybe not.

Kyle has done a great job all season. You really cannot argue against that.

I just think we should have fed Morris this game.

It seemed like the worse RG3s knee got, the more we got away from Morris and the more play action and bootleg we started seeing. Morris came out on fire just like the Dallas game, and they shy away from him to put the game in the hands of a clearly hobbled RG3? This coaching staff has done some great things this year, but I'm really not gonna mind if Kyle gets hired to go somewhere else. Wth were you thinking dude? Quit trying to be cute and pound probably the hottest RB left in the playoffs!

Quit trying to be cute and pound probably the hottest RB left in the playoffs!

I was at the game yesterday, and I said this exact sentence to my wife. I have no clue why they went away from AM.

That said, I think Kyle S. has done a great job this season putting together a very unique offense. Hopefully he'll remain with the Skins for next season.

And those of you saying we couldn't run the ball because they were stacking the box and the RG3 threat wasn't there, how do you know? You don't know because we didn't even try. If they would've pounded the rock 10 more times for 5 more yards, that would still be worth more of a shot then having a crippled QB go out there and try to run bootlegs and plant and throw on a bum knee. At least make Seattle prove they can stop the run game.

Tried for balanced attack to keep Seattle on their toes, like we did the first two possessions, just rg3 couldn't hit a pass on his bad leg after that.

That's what I saw, too. Play-by-play on ESPN shows that, we kept it pretty balanced, just couldn't complete passes to keep drives going so we could keep running.

I'm sure he looked at the 8 man front and 9 times outta 10 you gotta throw on that. But not with RG III hobbled. I couldn't tell if RG III checked to a pass though either. Still falls on Kyle cause he coulda said "don't check out of the run!" Still, I wouldn't want anyone else but Kyle calling plays next year. His body of work this year is damn impressive.

My initial, knee jerk reation this morning was Yeah we should have run the ball more. I went back and looked at the play by play and here's what happened.

In the first series (after our 2 touchdowns) he called 2 running plays on 1st and 2nd downs then passed on 3rd and 2.

The next time we got the ball (the score was 14-10) we ran on 1st down then Griffin threw an interception.

On the next series (third quarter) he called 4 runs and 4 passes.

It was 1:24 left before the end of the 3rd quarter before Shanahan called a series with no running plays in it.

My initial, knee jerk reation this morning was Yeah we should have run the ball more. I went back and looked at the play by play and here's what happened.

In the first series (after our 2 touchdowns) he called 2 running plays on 1st and 2nd downs then passed on 3rd and 2.

The next time we got the ball (the score was 14-10) we ran on 1st down then Griffin threw an interception.

On the next series (third quarter) he called 4 runs and 4 passes.

It was 1:24 left before the end of the 3rd quarter before Shanahan called a series with no running plays in it.

How many of those runs were by Griffin and how many by Morris? Someone mentioned that Morris ran the ball 8 times in the first time two drives and only 8 times the rest of the game. So for me it's not simply about running the ball but more about not giving the ball to Morris. That is why I wish they had stopped the read option. If I'm defense and the QB is running on a lame leg then I'm going to crash inside and force the hobbled QB to run every time.

There are many reasons why we lost-the main one being that Seattle is a better team. Most picked he Skins to finish last in the NFC East- this was a team of overachievers. That being said-Kyle's game plan or lack thereof reminded me of some of the games we lost before he bye week. Taking the ball out of Morris' hands and asking more of the injured QB made no sense and that is another reason we lost,

How many of those runs were by Griffin and how many by Morris? Someone mentioned that Morris ran the ball 8 times in the first time two drives and only 8 times the rest of the game. So for me it's not simply about running the ball but more about not giving the ball to Morris.
Every one was by Morris except one was a hand off to the fullback.

Archived