Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle's play calling against Seattle. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

s0crates

The fault is on a lot of people IMO. I love RG but he simply couldn't make some necessary throws out there... that's fine...he's injured and he didn't get pulled until his leg finally gave way. That's on Mike. I think Kyle's play-calling was OK, a lot of it hinged on a herculean performance by RG III. He clearly abandoned the run to early though. Should have pounded it quite a bit. He also had a hard time getting a chance to give the offense a chance as the defense could never get off the field. Everyone but Morris failed at some level. It happens.

I was actually more concerned and am more ticked off about this than with why Griff was left in the game. We were killing them with the run in the first quarter and then the run game got abandoned....why I have no clue. I have questioned Kyles play calling from the start of reign here in Washington. The only reason why I could possibly imagine Kyle abandoned the run is because he doesnt feel confident in the run game without the read option. Which to me is just terrible coordinating! Alfred Morris is a beast, we dont need RG3 as a run threat in order to be successful in the run game!

I think he wanted to run but after RG3 got hurt they just manned up on our receivers and played the run on every play. They saw that RG3 couldn't run or pass, kind of put Kyle in a bad spot. Had a defense playing the run on every down and a QB that couldn't effectively pass. Wanted this season for Fletcher and Moss the most

Bingo. RG3's ability to run the football creates spacing issues for the opposing linebackers which gives Morris plenty of room to run. This is really evident when they run their option offense.

I always had a sneaking suspicion that if Rg3 wasn't in the game, Morris' room to maneuver would be greatly impacted.

Terrible Play Calling. Morris had 8 carries first 2 drives and only 8 carries for the rest of the game. If they had ran him like they did in Dallas we would be headed to Atlanta.. Dominate right side of the line and hardly went back to it.... That first drive no read option they were pitches and straight runs. THey never proved they could stop him. I would have run it 3 times both times we had the call inside the 10 until they proved they could stop me. Plus after they score we come out and pass there was still 7 minutes on the clock. Gibbs and others would have said Hogs hitch it up we are going to run it down their throats..

Big Concern for Next year will be, Have teams figured out RGIII passing game....100 yards last two games. and. Can he stay healthy. Missing deep balls and taking to long to release on deep balls. Lets pray for his health and growth of Kyle... He was a sitting duck.

That is why Cousins should have come in sooner so they could run the ball and use the stretch plays and have him as a sitting duck as RGIII was since they did not want to roll him out it seemed....

We had them were we wanted them and let them back in by not running the ball down their throats.. Team had an incredible Effort even RGIII blame goes to the coaches on this one...

T

i was wondering why they stopped running it as well. zone stretch all day...maybe throw in a few zone reads (or rather, just hand the ball off to morris from that), so the defense would still have to respect RG3. they didn't know if he could run or not. just keep handing the ball off.

1st quarter

1st possession: 9 plays. Morris had 4 carries for 34 yards. Result: Touchdown.

2nd possession: 12 plays. Morris had 4 carries for 15 yards. Result: Touchdown.

2nd quarter

3rd possession: 4 plays. Morris had 2 carries for 8 yards. Result: Punt.

4th possession: 2 plays. Morris had 1 carry for 3 yards. Result: Interception.

1st half totals: 27 plays. Morris had 11 carries for 60 yards.

3rd quarter

5th possession: 8 plays. Morris had 3 carries for 12 yards. Result: punt.

6th possession: 3 plays. Morris had zero carries. Result: punt.

4th quarter

7th possession: 5 plays. Morris had 2 carries for 8 yards. Result: punt.

8th possession: 2 plays. Morris had zero carries. Result: lost fumble.

9th and 10th posession: Kirk Cousins in the hurry up offense. 11 plays. Zero rushes obviously.

2nd half totals: 29 plays, Morris had 5 carries for 20 yards. (to be fair 11 plays were in hurry up time).

All this to say: 11 carries for Morris in the first half, but only 5 in the second. Or better, Morris had 8 carries in the first quarter, then only 8 carries the rest of the way.

I still think Kyle messed up on this.

I didn't like the fact that we abandoned the run game. For one, it would be nice to set up a PA. Secondly, with RG3 hurt, we just put him in harms way with all the darn passes.

They really did resemble what we did to the Cowboys last week. The beat us at our own game.

He had to. The Seahawks played dirty, hurt RG3, and then knew all they had to do was stack the box and play the run. His only option was to throw the ball in an attempt to show we could if we wanted to. Unfortunately, RG3 couldn't get it done. And that's that.

you dont think seattle stacked the box against minny? or were they afraid of their 31st ranked pass o?

of course they did. but peterson still gashed them. we didnt become the number one rushing o in the league yeaterday. teams know we will run and still cant stop it, especially not a poor rush d like seattle.

Playcalling was not the problem. Execution was the problem. The 3rd quarter was essentially wasted because the team was backed up inside the 5 twice.
Tried for balanced attack to keep Seattle on their toes, like we did the first two possessions, just rg3 couldn't hit a pass on his bad leg after that.

Agreed. At the end of the day lack of execution, hindered us much more than play-calling.

One thing I thought about - did Kyle Shanahan doom his chances for sincere interest as a head coaching candidate for next season with this game? The abandonment of the run, when we were having so much effectiveness with it in the first half, still leaves me wondering what the hell was going on.

I think you have to look at the situations we were in. Also, Seattle did a good job stuffing the run after the first couple drives especially once RG3 starting limping. They wanted to try to pass to open things up a little for Morris, we just couldn't get it going.

This wasn't a pound Morris type of game, we definitely could have ran more but I don't know that the results would have been much different without us being able to effectively pass.

Archived