Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is the first time I have been disappointed in RGIII

mudhog

They do when they're not helping the team win anymore.

I just watched the RG3 press conference. What I heard was a guy who's heart was in the right place, but who's ego got the best of him. "I'm the best option for this team". Well, yes that is true Robert, but only when you're at least close to 100% and can push off your plant leg to make a good throw. Or be able to run the read option and be the true threat you were earlier in the season. After that play in the 2nd quarter when his knee buckled a bit and he went out of bounds and THREW his helmet off he should have been out of the game.

He's basically had everything go his way for the better part of the last 2 years. I absolutely love the guy, he has the heart of a Lion (Redskin actually),...but his ego got the best of him. You can tell Mike is enamored of the kid and trusted him,..but he has to separate himself in that situation and make the best decision for the team and Robert's future.

I know Robert felt a responsibility to the team as the Captain,...understandable. Mike need to make the decision and pull him out.

Agreed all great points

Many are missing a key point here. Fine if you don't believe RG III should have taken himself out as a player and captain of the team.

BUT players take themselves out of games ALL THE TIME for a rest. Why not at least sit out a series or two, see what Cousins can do and then come back in the game if necessary.

Shanahan deserves the blame though - how could he not at the very least sit RG III for a couple series and see if Cousins could spark a moribund offense? The offense was awful from the 1st quarter on and not even trying something different has to fall on Shanahan...

We should've pulled him. The whole game I was just hoping he wouldn't get hurt rather than thinking we had a chance to win. Our offense looked terrible, absolutely terrible. We held them to 13 points into the 4th, Reed Doughty played the game of his life and we decided to not switch it up until it was forced upon us. Terrible coaching, and terrible decision by RGIII to stay in the game. I love the guy and how passionate he is and while he IS the franchise, he should know that no matter how we get the win he's apart of the success. In high school my team was 28-0 heading into the state championship before we lost, because our stud pitcher decided that he was better than the next man even with a partially torn labrum and it ended up costing us a chance at a perfect season. ALWAYS put the team before your desire for glory, even if you're a superstar like RGIII.

lucky for RGIII he has Cousins as a back up....you sould tell your boss if you have a super contagious disease or sickness that is the case....in a hypthetical situation...

That's your opinion. And that's the difference between you and RG3.

But at the same time, if I'm that bad, my boss should have no problem telling me to go home.

The only thing I'm really sore about is having to concede rookie of the year to Wilson. If not for hurting his knee again before the 2nd TD I think we win the game with ease and Robert wins ROTY.... But sadly that's not how the story played out and Wilson stepped up and won his team the game. Robert had a better regular season, but not by much and I feel this clinched it for Wilson. Honestly, hats off to the kid well deserved.

I gotta say anyone that thinks this I would guess have never played a high level sport. Football players, specifically QBs play hurt all the time and would NEVER take themselves out of a game of this magnitude until they knew they couldn't play anymore. All of the player analysts are saying the same thing. Cutler came out that one postseason and got roasted as a coward. Robert is the best option for this team, he also had a huge part in getting us to a position to win a playoff game. This is what these guys work for the entire season. There is absolutely NO way to expect Robert to react any differently. It's up to the coaching staff to pull the plug and if I'm Shanahan and I ask my star player if he is ok to go and he says yes.... Again he has earned the right how do you take that away from him? What happened happened, no reason to blame anyone. We got beat, but I have a feeling we will be seeing Seattle in the post season a lot in the coming years. Also, I guarantee not one redskin player would call Robert selfish for wanting to play. We will see.

Yes, I never played in the NFL -- I'm guessing you've never either. What's your point?

You need to re-read my post. I clearly said that it was on Shanny to make the decision to pull him -- and it was understandable that Robert would want to stay in the game.

As Robert matures as a player he will realize what's the right thing to do. He was not at his best and should not have been in there after the 2nd quarter of the game. Also his knee looks like it was further damaged beyond the LCL sprain.

The only thing I'm really sore about is having to concede rookie of the year to Wilson. If not for hurting his knee again before the 2nd TD I think we win the game with ease and Robert wins ROTY.... But sadly that's not how the story played out and Wilson stepped up and won his team the game. Robert had a better regular season, but not by much and I feel this clinched it for Wilson. Honestly, hats off to the kid well deserved.

ROTY is voted on prior to the playoffs.

Is it possible for an injured RG3 to play poorly DESPITE his injury to some of you people?

It's kind of the perfect situation for him. Play injured and no one will ever blame you for poor play (you know, it's just that he's injured).

WTF are you talking about?

Haha,...

I am disappointed in the coaching staff for not taking him out after the first half. How can you be down on a guy who is basically playing an NFL playoff game on one leg? Seriously, I could have beaten him in a foot race and I am a 48 year old white guy who was slow in high school.

No you could not have, can we please cut the stupid crap?

I'm really concerned about what the MRI's gonna show. Merrill made a good point that he wasn't nearly as confident postgame about what the injury wasn't as he was when he hurt it originally against the Ravens. He seemed pretty confident it wasn't an ACL then from what the docs were telling him. Doesn't sound like they gave him that reassurance this time. I wish someone would've followed up on that. So we could potentially go into the training camp with him coming off a surgery, having to wear a brace, all that stuff. And anything that hinders his development in the offseason won't be good.

Many are missing a key point here. Fine if you don't believe RG III should have taken himself out as a player and captain of the team.

BUT players take themselves out of games ALL THE TIME for a rest. Why not at least sit out a series or two, see what Cousins can do and then come back in the game if necessary.

Shanahan deserves the blame though - how could he not at the very least sit RG III for a couple series and see if Cousins could spark a moribund offense? The offense was awful from the 1st quarter on and not even trying something different has to fall on Shanahan...

Name one QB who has taken himself out for a rest. Please name one. Cuutler took himself out two years ago and is still being called weak for it.

Yes, I never played in the NFL -- I'm guessing you've never either. What's your point?

You need to re-read my post. I clearly said that it was on Shanny to make the decision to pull him -- and it was understandable that Robert would want to stay in the game.

As Robert matures as a player he will realize what's the right thing to do. He was not at his best and should not have been in there after the 2nd quarter of the game. Also his knee looks like it was further damaged beyond the LCL sprain.

The point was a player of Roberts caliber is never going to take himself out. He has said for weeks "as long as I can walk I can play" and his entire swagger is his belief that he is the best at what he does. Thats what makes him who he is, who Tom Brady is, Jordan, woods... they are all like this. Being at the top, you have to have that attitude. This is a lesson he will never learn and honestly if he ever thinks he is not the best and gives our team the best chance to win as long as he can walk, stripe him of his captains band and he should hang up his cleats. We can agree to disagree here.

Some of you act like taking Griffin out was the best option for our franchise. It wasnt!!! He is our franchise QB and u do not take him out unless he is injured. I repeat you do not take your franchise QB out of a playoff game!! He learns and we grow with him! Some of you act like we have had the luxery of winning for years and our franchise can win with anyone! Our team was exposed tonight against a playoff caliber defense. We abandoned the run and our defense wasn't talented enough to win the game for us. Cousins would not have won this game for us!! So stop crying!! Support your franchise QB!! The same man that got us here! Like he told Mike.. He deserved to be in the game win or lose!!

he was injured

it's not RG3s job to accurately judge his ability. Actually, I think all great athletes think that they're better than they actually are, and this mindset allows them to be great. It's up to Mike Shanahan to see the forest for the trees, and say, "no, you're sitting now." If everything went right, Kirk Cousins plays the second half, and RG3 is pissed off totally about it...but we're playing the Falcons next week.

ROTY is voted on prior to the playoffs.

Maybe the case but we all know the deal. Rookie of the year should include playoffs if said rookie is in them. If Robert wins it great, he had the best QB rating for a rookie in history and we could list a million reasons why he deserves it..... But Wilson got the better of him and was right behind him with the season he posted.

Some of you act like taking Griffin out was the best option for our franchise. It wasnt!!! He is our franchise QB and u do not take him out unless he is injured. I repeat you do not take your franchise QB out of a playoff game!! He learns and we grow with him! Some of you act like we have had the luxery of winning for years and our franchise can win with anyone! Our team was exposed tonight against a playoff caliber defense. We abandoned the run and our defense wasn't talented enough to win the game for us. Cousins would not have won this game for us!! So stop crying!! Support your franchise QB!! The same man that got us here! Like he told Mike.. He deserved to be in the game win or lose!!

In his press conference he essentially said that he is more effective hopping on one leg than Cousins is healthy!....wow...

The point was a player of Roberts caliber is never going to take himself out. He has said for weeks "as long as I can walk I can play" and his entire swagger is his belief that he is the best at what he does. Thats what makes him who he is, who Tom Brady is, Jordan, woods... they are all like this. Being at the top, you have to have that attitude. This is a lesson he will never learn and honestly if he ever thinks he is not the best and gives our team the best chance to win as long as he can walk, stripe him of his captains band and he should hang up his cleats. We can agree to disagree here.

Yes, we can agree to disagree.

I've watched a lot of sports over the the years and don't remember Brady or Jordan playing in a playoff game with a knee quite as compromised as Robert's. I honestly hope he will learn this lesson.

But again I will say, the ultimate decision was on Shanny.

Just got home from the game with a broken heart, and now this. One moment he's our hero. Next, after this game, he 's egoist, selfish...etc.. The kid played through pain people. I don't know what to say anymore, but at least I know the true color of a fan.

Archived