Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is the first time I have been disappointed in RGIII

mudhog

If Cousins came in and lit it up then this would be more of a question. As it was that Seahawks d were playing very tight man coverage on our guys and we weren't getting open. With no run threat from griffin they were free to play in man, which is their strength. I think Griffin wasn't going to miss this game, and couldn't bear to pull himself short of injury. He's a competitor, it's what they do. If he quit early people would have questioned that too.

To clarify my comment further, I did not intend that we should try to remove his 'competitive edge'. What I meant, probably not clearly, was that his post-game comments could have been delivered/communicated a little smoother (my post was in response to others questioning why he was being brash in his post-game presser).

It's understandable that right after the game he was super-pissed, which led to the press conference delivery after the game.

I get it, but at the same time how would you like every word you said after a tough season ending loss dissected by people who don't know you but feel they can comment on your charactor and heart?

This is what has been really bugging me.

Cutler tries to play on a bad MCL, gets benched by his coach, whole world calls him a wuss, a coward, he doesn't have the heart, yadda-yadda-yadda...

RG3 tries to play on a bad LCL, doesn't get benched, fans and mediots immediately begin to imply he's selfish, a liar, should've known when to quit, yadda-yadda-yadda...

I'd say the only way to win is not to play, but just last night, Ponder didn't play because he physically couldn't AND his coaches benched him...and he gets called a wuss, a coward, doesn't have the heart, injury history, yadda-yadda-yadda.

I'd hate being a quarterback in the NFL. Seems like it's the least fun job there is.

Its the truth.

Everyone has their own views on what people should and shouldn't do, but instead of just going "well to each their own", they have to imply they're failing at something if they don't do it their way.

Its irritating honestly.

Cutler tries to play on a bad MCL, gets benched by his coach, whole world calls him a wuss, a coward, he doesn't have the heart, yadda-yadda-yadda...

RG3 tries to play on a bad LCL, doesn't get benched, fans and mediots immediately begin to imply he's selfish, a liar, should've known when to quit, yadda-yadda-yadda...

I'd say the only way to win is not to play, but just last night, Ponder didn't play because he physically couldn't AND his coaches benched him...and he gets called a wuss, a coward, doesn't have the heart, injury history, yadda-yadda-yadda.

I'd hate being a quarterback in the NFL. Seems like it's the least fun job there is.

You`re guilty of assuming that everyone on the internet is the same person. You read varying things that conflict... and attribute it to the same entity. Everybody.

Unless of course you can show us an instance of EXACT individuals who are guilty of doing as you have mentioned.

I get it, but at the same time how would you like every word you said after a tough season ending loss dissected by people who don't know you but feel they can comment on your charactor and heart?

I don't think I am awake or cognizant enough to completely and clearly express all my thoughts on RG3 right now without it getting mis-interpreted by some, so let's just focus on our common hope...

that the kid doesn't have major damage in the knee and doesn't require surgery....you guys think we'll hear anything tonight? I can't remember how long after the Baltimore game we got word, but I'm thinking if we hear anything it'll be good news...but if the MRI is a bad one, they'll probably wait until Shanny's presser.

Unless of course you can show us an instance of EXACT individuals who are guilty of doing as you have mentioned.

To quote Morgan Freeman in "Stand by Me", I don't have to do anything but stay black and die.

It was meant generally. If you're that offended by it, I'll direct you to my PM's, wherein I can kindly ignore them because I don't really care what you think.

You`re guilty of assuming that everyone on the internet is the same person. You read varying things that conflict... and attribute it to the same entity. Everybody.

Honestly, just because there is a small portion of people that don't always voice those sentiments, that doesn't mean that what was said doesn't ring true. Most of the media and fans blistered Cutler and called him a ton of things which lead to people questioning his leadership and questioning if Lovie should stick with Cutler for the longhaul. That could have seriously affected his careeer.

Same with last night and Ponder not playing. or LT with the Chargers years ago.

So criticizing RGIII for deciding to play, just makes it seem like if you're hurt and aren't any good, you're going to get crucified no matter what you do. At least the path RGIII took will lead to NFL players respecting him, so I guess its an ok thing, but its irritating to listen to fans whine about it. As if RGIII being "selfish" is the reason Montgomery botched snaps all night, the defense couldn't get off the field after the 1st quarter, the playcalling in the 2nd half was awful and Madieu Williams and Reed Doughty are allergic to getting turnovers.

I don't think I am awake or cognizant enough to completely and clearly express all my thoughts on RG3 right now without it getting mis-interpreted by some, so let's just focus on our common hope...

that the kid doesn't have major damage in the knee and doesn't require surgery....you guys think we'll hear anything tonight? I can't remember how long after the Baltimore game we got word, but I'm thinking if we hear anything it'll be good news...but if the MRI is a bad one, they'll probably wait until Shanny's presser.

Heard he gets his MRI tomorrow.

He was clearly trying to establish himself as a warrior. Not the track star QB with skinny legs. The Warrior. Unfortunately, he pushed a quarter too far, and now we have to hold our breath waiting for more MRI results. I'm ****ing tired of waiting on MRI results.

But as has been mentioned in other threads, I've got to get used to it. We all do. RG3 plays ball in a very aggressive manner. He's a competitor. There is the practical matter of how long he can sustain a career playing this way, but that's for the Shanahans to deal with over the offseason. For now, this thread is totally uncalled for. It disregards chain of command and RG3's personality. He's going to keep playing like this until he's explicitly ordered to do otherwise, and even then he might override them. It's the sort of attitude that will either burn him out in a short few years or earn him a bust in Canton.

It's an interesting time to be a Redskins fan, for sure.

Honestly, just because there is a small portion of people that don't always voice those sentiments, that doesn't mean that what was said doesn't ring true. Most of the media and fans blistered Cutler and called him a ton of things which lead to people questioning his leadership and questioning if Lovie should stick with Cutler for the longhaul. That could have seriously affected his careeer.

So criticizing RGIII for deciding to play, just makes it seem like if you're hurt and aren't any good, you're going to get crucified no matter what you do. At least the path RGIII took will lead to NFL players respecting him, so I guess its an ok thing, but its irritating to listen to fans whine about it. As if RGIII being "selfish" is the reason Montgomery botched snaps all night, the defense couldn't get off the field after the 1st quarter, the playcalling in the 2nd half was awful and Madieu Williams and Reed Doughty are allergic to getting turnovers.

He definitely couldn't pull himself. That had to be on the doctors or coach. No competitor, if he believes he has anything left in him, pulls himself, so we can't blame Griffin for not just walking to the bench. You're right, it's not selfish. Jordan made 25 game winning shots, he missed 26 of them, and you have to believe on a good portion of those 51 he was doubled and probably didn't have the easiest shot, but took it anyways. If you're the star player of the team, you have to put them on your shoulders even if it's not always the best chance to win for the team.

He was clearly trying to establish himself as a warrior. Not the track star QB with skinny legs. The Warrior. Unfortunately, he pushed a quarter too far, and now we have to hold our breath waiting for more MRI results. I'm ****ing tired of waiting on MRI results.

But as has been mentioned in other threads, I've got to get used to it. We all do. RG3 plays ball in a very aggressive manner. He's a competitor. There is the practical matter of how long he can sustain a career playing this way, but that's for the Shanahans to deal with over the offseason. For now, this thread is totally uncalled for. It disregards chain of command and RG3's personality. He's going to keep playing like this until he's explicitly ordered to do otherwise, and even then he might override them. It's the sort of attitude that will either burn him out in a short few years or earn him a bust in Canton.

It's an interesting time to be a Redskins fan, for sure.

He's Steve McNair. Or Steve Young.

Steve McNair played hurt, he played through incredible pain, but he always put it all out there. The same thing with Steve Young. You had to peel those guys off the field to tell them to stop. And while I want him to stay healthy...I don't know if I ever watch Robert to lose that. That competitive fire. I want him to be smarter about it, and feel he will be. But I can't hate him for wanting to play hurt. I'd never call him selfish for it. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in him for going out there and trying to play.

I want him healthy, but I want him to keep that warrior mentality.

Except the media has been ragging on Shanahan for the last few weeks that he should have been resting RG3. It was evident to EVERYBODY (media and fans alike) that RG3 hasn`t been right since he returned. It`s been the focus of every broadcast of every game since Philly. No one would be calling RG3 a coward for resting his knee... we`ve seen him repeatedly get beaten up and get right back up. Hits that have caused injury and those that haven`t.

So RG3`s reputation and toughness is hardly at stake. From the media, the players or the fans. He`s been praised by everybody for his toughness.

What I`m guilty of... is trusting Shanahan. Both Shanahan and RG3... in all the interviews each week leading up to each game since Philly... have given the indication that the knee was fine. I took them at face value. Now, in retrospect, after hearing people acknowledge it wasn`t.... I`m very disappointed in Shanahan playing his QB in this condition. I mean, that run early in the game where he rushes outside left with lead blockers and was gimpy the whole run.... that was a HUGE red flag. You simply don`t leave a guy in the game looking like that. It`s inexcusable.

Doughty played his ass off...period! The coach should have made a change at halftime and if Cousins wasn't getting the job done

then put RG3 back in. You could see his passes were off mark all night. Coaches seem scared to make changes when the GB is

having a bad game. To me...I would have sat him down and see what Cousins could do. I'd do anything to try to get this team to

the SB, hell with hurting someone's feelings! Why did we quit running the ball? I love RG3, but he's been hurt and not near 100%.

Except the media has been ragging on Shanahan for the last few weeks that he should have been resting RG3. It was evident to EVERYBODY (media and fans alike) that RG3 hasn`t been right since he returned. It`s been the focus of every broadcast of every game since Philly. No one would be calling RG3 a coward for resting his knee... we`ve seen him repeatedly get beaten up and get right back up. Hits that have caused injury and those that haven`t.

So RG3`s reputation and toughness is hardly at stake. From the media, the players or the fans. He`s been praised by everybody for his toughness.

What I`m guilty of... is trusting Shanahan. Both Shanahan and RG3... in all the interviews each week leading up to each game since Philly... have given the indication that the knee was fine. I took them at face value. Now, in retrospect, after hearing people acknowledge it wasn`t.... I`m very disappointed in Shanahan playing his QB in this condition. I mean, that run early in the game where he rushes outside left with lead blockers and was gimpy the whole run.... that was a HUGE red flag. You simply don`t leave a guy in the game looking like that. It`s inexcusable.

I really haven't noticed people ragging Shanny for not resting RG3 beyond CLE. They mainly just said that RGIII wasn't 100%. Now, how that relates to what happened during the game is a different matter entirely.

The problem is, people equate RG3 playing hurt to necessarily equaling him playing poorly. Players can be effective when injured. How about you see the bigger picture and realize we were going against Seattle's D and, well, he was just a bit off. I love the warrior mentality and hope he never loses that. The thing is, if RG3 plays well, it's "oh, he's fine", if he plays poorly it's "oh, he's injured", regardless of how hurt he really is.

I am holding back awaiting more info that may be relevant, but if I had to "go" right now, this is my POV-- everything DH said in this paragraph, particularly the bolded line.

Even NoLeafClover, and I, who really take our time in evaluating such matters, were agreeing in the 3rd that we need to put Cousins in. Maybe I'll change my mind depending on what I hear, but right now. I feel bad about how things ended beyond losing to the damn hawks.

I would rather have put Cousins in after the half and get beat even more badly. Then at lest i could say, "I'm glad we didn't take chances with RG3 after such a promising season."

The problem is, people equate RG3 playing hurt to necessarily equaling him playing poorly. Players can be effective when injured. How about you see the bigger picture and realize we were going against Seattle's D and, well, he was just a bit off. I love the warrior mentality and hope he never loses that. The thing is, if RG3 plays well, it's "oh, he's fine", if he plays poorly it's "oh, he's injured", regardless of how hurt he really is.

I mean the village idiot could see that RGIII hasn't be himslef since returning. RGIII didnt play poor you put up a two td lead against the NFL's number one rated defense that's saying alot. Like I said we lost the game when the defense gave the Sea Life. We get that 3 and out instead of the get off the ground drive that lead to a score we win easily. RW was choking and SEa was ready to quit at that point

RG3 is my already one of my favorite Redskins ever, but if he continues at this rate, he is not gonna last very long in this league.

I think it's part our offense and part RG3 pushing it 110% with no regard for his health...I hope he can be more careful, but I'm not holding my breath..crossing my fingers he avoided ACL or MCL damage

I mean the village idiot could see that RGIII hasn't be himslef since returning. RGIII didnt play poor you put up a two td lead against the NFL's number one rated defense that's saying alot. Like I said we lost the game when the defense gave the Sea Life. We get that 3 and out instead of the get off the ground drive that lead to a score we win easily. RW was choking and SEa was ready to quit at that point

I honestly think 90% of the "gimpiness" you've seen from RG3 since the Eagles game was due to the brace and his mental hesitation vs. the persistence of pain in his knee. That is the strange aspect of this, because apparently he was nearing that 4-week mark of full healing and, who knows, may have been ready to remove the brace next week. But then re-injures it so easily today. Strange. Either way though, I'm worried at this point that this injury has defined so much of his rookie season that it's going to make him paranoid for years to come.

I would rather have put Cousins in after the half and get beat even more badly. Then at lest i could say, "I'm glad we didn't take chances with RG3 after such a promising season."

1.) May I suggest that those who don't trust Mike Shanahan after this, have not trusted Mike Shanahan to be the answer to this franchises woes for a while, particularly after the 3-6 "evaluating for next season" comments".

2.) May I also suggest you would have to deal with just as much dumbassery if Kirk had gone in and lost, only in the form of even more "we shouldn't have drafted Kirk in the first place" threads, which, in turn, would just lead to more "I should've never trusted Shanahan" threads.

Archived