Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Skins Defense being overlooked in matchup against Seahawks?

NoCalMike

Every time I hear this game talked about by the "experts" I never hear them mention that while our defense has not been great this season, that we have been pretty damn good against the run. Very few teams have ran the ball well against us, which matches up perfectly with seattles strength. Seems like this fact has indeed been overlooked by many.

... and much better against the pass as of late.

I personally like being the underdog! Ive heard about us losing all week on TV by fans by alot of people, I love it! Keep looking past us and eventually your gonna say we missed that, why didnt we see that coming!? I say we have an elite rookie qb that is tearing the league up right now, that the seahags had to steal/borrow from our playbook...i see our rookie QB continuing what he set out to do which is "go catch your dream" and "no pressure no diamonds".....RG3 lives for this moment and dont forget about Alfred! The whole locker room has turned into believers and when the whole team is fighting and playing for more than stats and have become a family there is nothing that can stop 53 men fighting for 1 common goal!! There are no longer individuals on this redskins team....you can stop a man but you can never stop the heart of believers!

I keep hearing from ignoramuses that the only reason we won the Cowboys game is because Romo sits to pee choked and threw three picks.

Okay, yeah.. but why the hell do you think he threw the picks in the first place? Our D played a brilliant game and kept him on edge from beginning to end. He didn't throw those picks for the hell of it.

If they play with the same intensity tomorrow, we've got a good shot.

To be fair, the thought process in that is that Dallas was horrendous and did absolutely nothing to counter our constant blitzes. Never any hot reads, screens etc to make us think twice about blitzing. Not to say we wouldn't have still won or adjusted but it was really strange seeing us beat Dallas with the exact same thing all game long.

I'm pretty sure Seattle would adjust to that and at least attempt something to counter. I saw a good segment on NFL network with McNabb and Baldinger that sort of compared the way we bring pressure with the way Arizona brings pressure and how similar they are. It also showed how Seattle changed the way they handled the Arizona blitz from week 1 to their later matchup where they were able to contain them. They kept Lynch in to block and ran shorter routes and were able to minimize the Arizona pressure.

What that shows me is we have to be exotic and keep Wilson confused. That will be key to shutting down their offense. Bring the pressure from every different angle we can muster and just make sure to hold the edge in case he escapes. We can handle their WR as they don't have anything close to the weapons Dallas has on offense.

Plus Wilson has been amazing against the blitz (and overall) over the second half of the season.

Yes, lets look at the second half of their season:

Lions - Loss

Vikings - Win

Jets - Win (meaningless game for Jets)

Dolphins - Loss

Bears - Win 23-17 (practically eliminated - meaningless game)

Cardinals - Win (meaningless game for Cards)

Bills - Win (meaningless game for Bills)

49ers - Win (already clinched, meaningless game for the 49ers)

Rams - Win (meaningless game for Rams)

I'm not impressed. Other than the Vikings and the 49ers, none of the teams they played have a running threat like Morris. We WILL truck them over tomorrow.

Hail!

If the Hags play the Zone/Read the same way they do in that vid they are gonna get killed in the passing game.

Their defense is basically the same one that got shredded by rex grossman last year :ols: Sherman is having a better year than last year, but yes, he can still get toasted. I think Browner will be the primary target, and Moss/Hankerson will need to step up huge.

Their defense is basically the same one that got shredded by rex grossman last year :ols: Sherman is having a better year than last year, but yes, he can still get toasted. I think Browner will be the primary target, and Moss/Hankerson will need to step up huge.

Yes, Sherman on Garcon and possible Browner possibly on Moss? If so, we still have Robinson, Morgan, Paul, Hankerson to go out there and create some havoc in the secondary. If we run some nice slants and cross routes, I think they will bunch up or miss a step or two, enough for RG3 to thread a few balls. Let's hope their hands are warmed up and able to catch them. At least our receivers can block as well! HTTR!

If you believe the experts, our defense has no chance. Lynch and Wilson will run and pass all over us. We might as well not even watch. It's kind of insulting to be honest. I'll be the first to admit our defense has flaws, but they've been playing much better on this streak and has been able to force turnovers. Seattle's offense will be tough, but they aren't invincible. If we can stop the run and force some turnovers I feel very good about our chances.

Every time I hear this game talked about by the "experts" I never hear them mention that while our defense has not been great this season, that we have been pretty damn good against the run. Very few teams have ran the ball well against us, which matches up perfectly with seattles strength. Seems like this fact has indeed been overlooked by many.

Of course against us puts us at 17th or so. Not sure if that has trended down as our defense has improved though (I'm guessing yes, but I'm not sure). I also don't know how many run-heavy teams we've played since the bye. Anyway, it'll be tough to slow down their ground attack, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

BTW, great post No_Pressure, good info and well put.

The thing about WRs like Garcon and Moss is that they are excellent route runners, and they seem to always catch the football in space. So in otherwords, the pass itself may be a mere 5-6 yards, but when the route is run correctly (which it always is with them) when they catch the ball, they will be running in stride and in space and will rack up YAC.

hands down we win this game.....WE CANT BE STOPPED! yes they run the read option...which they stole from us! yes our defense isnt that great....yes RG3 has a "gimp leg"......keep doubting us! before you know it we will be 1 more game closer to our goal! OROY Alfred Morris! MVP RG3 (he just happens to be in his rookie year so he wont win that) Coach of the year Mike Shannahan (He wont get that either)! No matter what this team does the media will never give respect where respect is due! Maybe Im in the wrong thread but cheers to a delightful seahags defeat! 27-17 Redskins victory! HTTR!

If you believe the experts, our defense has no chance. Lynch and Wilson will run and pass all over us. We might as well not even watch. It's kind of insulting to be honest. I'll be the first to admit our defense has flaws, but they've been playing much better on this streak and has been able to force turnovers. Seattle's offense will be tough, but they aren't invincible. If we can stop the run and force some turnovers I feel very good about our chances.

It's ridiculous. We've faced Cruz, Ray Rice, Dez Bryant, Romo sits to pee, and Eil Manning during our streak, but supposedly the Seahawks will drop 50 on us at home. We were also in games against the Bengals and Falcons when our defense was much worse. Anyone predicting a blowout in this game is a straight-up moron.

I think we are fifth in the league in rushing yards per game allowed.

Funny that I had to look that up. Nobody has bothered to mention it lol.

That's true - but it's at least in part because we have been so bad against the pass!

We have played much better football defensively down the stretch, but we live and die on defense by creating turnovers. That's huge every game but its even bigger in a playoff game where momentum is such a big factor. We need to play sound against he run - Lynch is a good bak and will get yards but you need to limit the chunk plays and make them earn every yard.

When they pass you have to keep Wilson in the pocket - a bit like Romo sits to pee last week - because he is more dangerous throwing when he extends plays with his legs. You take away his first read, don't let him escape laterally (so your outside pass rush must not get any deeper than his drop) and force him to find his secondary reads.

Seattle will get yards and will score points. Make them kick FGs and don't give up cheap points on big plays and I am confident our offense will out score them.

So, ASF had this post on CPND. It makes a great point about, not strength of schedule, but strength of WHEN we played various opponents. SKins played several hot teams (I think even the Browns were on a win streak, not a good team) and beat them. Seattle played teams in the midst of losing streaks.:

http://httr.cpnd.us/index.cgi?action=display&board=addiction&thread=11679&page=1#238364

By some statistical measures, the Seahawks are a balanced powerhouse who should end the Redskins season Sunday. However, on closer examination, these stats were accumulated over a schedule that proved exceptionally easy for the last 10 games.

It's not just who they played, but when they played them. The Seahawks had the remarkable timing of playing opponents who were in the middle of their worst streaks of the year;

SEAHAWKS BEAT THESE (LOSING) TEAMS:

Jets: 5th loss in 6 games

Vikings: 3rd loss in 4 games; would lose 5 of 7

Bears: 3rd loss in 4 games; would lose 5 of 6

Cardinals: 9th straight loss; would lose 11 of 12

Bills: 3rd loss in 4 games; would lose 7 of 9

SEAHAWKS LOST TO THESE (LOSING) TEAMS:

Dolphins: 1st win in 4 games; would lose 5 of 6

Lions: Went 2-12 in last 14 games, when not beating Seattle

SEAHAWKS LOST TO GOOD TEAM:

49ers, 13-6 (Oct. 18)

This leaves two quality wins:

SEAHAWKS BEAT THESE (HOT) TEAMS:

49ers: had won 4 of 5

Rams: had won 4 of 5

However, the Seahawks barely beat the Rams (at home) on Week 17, finally pulling ahead in the final 2 minutes, despite the great importance of the game to the Seahawks for making the playoffs.

This leaves the big victory over the 49ers as the only quality win in the last 10 games. Yes, that was very impressive.

By contrast, in the Redskins 7-game winning streak, they have 5 quality wins, defined by how hot their opposition was at the time:

REDSKINS BEAT THESE FIVE (HOT) TEAMS:

Cowboys / Thanksgiving: had won 2 straight, would win 5 of 6

Cowboys / Week 17: had lost to only 1 other team in last 6 games

Giants: beat Packers 38-10 prior week, Saints 52-27 following week

Ravens: had won 8 of 10

Browns: had won 3 straight

Wilson's passer rating drops from an NFL best 123.4 at home to a 17th overall 83.1 away.

Greg Cosell said he's been taking off early lately, not trusting his protection and trying to make plays with his legs.

Schlereth said he's seen their protection make mistakes lately.

Rob Jackson says Redskins D is forcing QBs to make quick decisions for good or bad.

Their run game averages 4 yards a carry on grass, 5.2 yards on turf.

They score an average of 15.8 points on grass.

He's still a rookie and if a Vet like Romo sits to pee was getting flustered by the blitzes, Wilson will as well. It's Wilson's first playoff game. It's away. I think Redskins will get to him and force him into some mistakes.

So, ASF had this post on CPND. It makes a great point about, not strength of schedule, but strength of WHEN we played various opponents. SKins played several hot teams (I think even the Browns were on a win streak, not a good team) and beat them. Seattle played teams in the midst of losing streaks.:

By some statistical measures, the Seahawks are a balanced powerhouse who should end the Redskins season Sunday. However, on closer examination, these stats were accumulated over a schedule that proved exceptionally easy for the last 10 games.

It's not just who they played, but when they played them. The Seahawks had the remarkable timing of playing opponents who were in the middle of their worst streaks of the year;

SEAHAWKS BEAT THESE (LOSING) TEAMS:

Jets: 5th loss in 6 games

Vikings: 3rd loss in 4 games; would lose 5 of 7

Bears: 3rd loss in 4 games; would lose 5 of 6

Cardinals: 9th straight loss; would lose 11 of 12

Bills: 3rd loss in 4 games; would lose 7 of 9

SEAHAWKS LOST TO THESE (LOSING) TEAMS:

Dolphins: 1st win in 4 games; would lose 5 of 6

Lions: Went 2-12 in last 14 games, when not beating Seattle

SEAHAWKS LOST TO GOOD TEAM:

49ers, 13-6 (Oct. 18)

This leaves two quality wins:

SEAHAWKS BEAT THESE (HOT) TEAMS:

49ers: had won 4 of 5

Rams: had won 4 of 5

However, the Seahawks barely beat the Rams (at home) on Week 17, finally pulling ahead in the final 2 minutes, despite the great importance of the game to the Seahawks for making the playoffs.

This leaves the big victory over the 49ers as the only quality win in the last 10 games. Yes, that was very impressive.

By contrast, in the Redskins 7-game winning streak, they have 5 quality wins, defined by how hot their opposition was at the time:

REDSKINS BEAT THESE FIVE (HOT) TEAMS:

Cowboys / Thanksgiving: had won 2 straight, would win 5 of 6

Cowboys / Week 17: had lost to only 1 other team in last 6 games

Giants: beat Packers 38-10 prior week, Saints 52-27 following week

Ravens: had won 8 of 10

Browns: had won 3 straight

These are excellent, excellent points, things you expect any good analyst to bring up and discuss. Now where to find good analysts..lol

These are excellent, excellent points, things you expect any good analyst to bring up and discuss. Now where to find good analysts..lol

My friend, please cut out most of what you quote in your post. It's a forum violation (to save bandwidth on repeating text that's already been posted.) Not a critique of you or your posts, I just don't want you getting in trouble.

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 06:31 AM ----------

He's still a rookie and if a Vet like Romo sits to pee was getting flustered by the blitzes, Wilson will as well. It's Wilson's first playoff game. It's away. I think Redskins will get to him and force him into some mistakes.

What gets lost in the "Romo sits to pee chokes" (which is fun, let's be honest, but should not replace serious discussion) is that he is no longer that kid just running around improvising, he knows the game, directs people well, is fairly accurate (not like Steve Young, of course), has a knack for making plays when the team is out of it, is mobile and has a strange ability to bail out his offensive line when he gets a bad snap or when there's a fumble and making a play out of it. He's a pretty good player, he just can't make that next step under pressure but it's not as if "just blitz Romo sits to pee" would usually work on game day.

And another stat (thought I can't link to it) is that Seattle is dead last against more than 4 pass rushers. Skins have been #1 all year in offensive situations like that.

Archived