Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unofficial NFL Wild Card Weekend Thread

Mr. Sinister

I think the Colts as a team are a bit underrated and overlooked, and have gone a long way in helping minimize Luck's mistakes. I keep hearing folks like Jaws say "Luck is asked to do so much more than the other two" but I kind of disagree in the fact that the rest of the Colts team is asked to bail Luck out a lot more than with RGIII. It is a two-way street. Luck has the luxury of not playing well for 2 out of 4 quarters, or even 3 out of 4 quarters and somehow his team is still in position to win the game in the 4th quarter. If RGIII played like this for even half a game, the 'Skins would probably be blown off the field.

He hasn't really looked good at all today. It seems like the screen pass is about all he can really get a rhythm with. Anytime he drops back he looks frantic and nervous and throws errant passes. I know this is the playoffs so there is added pressure/nerves for a rookie QB, but compare this half's performance to how RGIII looked against the Ravens.

Anyone else legitimately think that the Colts intentionally tanked last year to get Luck, knowing Peyton's career was winding down? I know they've added some other players this year but there's no way Luck takes them from 2 to 11 wins. More like the Colts 10 win team from the year before started playing football again.

Wow, this one is a snoozer huh?

---------- Post added January-6th-2013 at 02:15 PM ----------

Anyone else legitimately think that the Colts intentionally tanked last year to get Luck, knowing Peyton's career was winding down? I know they've added some other players this year but there's no way Luck takes them from 2 to 11 wins. More like the Colts 10 win team from the year before started playing football again.

I don't think they tanked as much as I believe the heart/fight wasn't there. In my eyes they weren't actively trying for Luck they just didn't put everything they could into it. Losing your QB/coach/best player will do that IMO.

I always felt that last years Colts team was a mediocre team that MASSIVELY underachieved. On top of that, their back-up QB situation was so terribly managed, from the top down, that it made it extremely hard for them to be a competent offense. Then, of course, the franchise is rewarded for its incompetency with a shiny, new, franchise-QB. Go figure.

I don't think they tanked as much as I believe the heart/fight wasn't there. In my eyes they weren't actively trying for Luck they just didn't put everything they could into it. Losing your QB/coach/best player will do that IMO.

I understand that, I just think even with all that going on they had enough talent to win more than 2 games all year. I can under 5 or 6 wins the first year post-Peyton, but seriously, they didn't win at all until like week 10 or 11 IIRC, once they had #1 practically locked up.

I always felt that last years Colts team was a mediocre team that MASSIVELY underachieved. On top of that, their back-up QB situation was so terribly managed, from the top down, that it made it extremely hard for them to be a competent offense. Then, of course, the franchise is rewarded for its incompetency with a shiny, new, franchise-QB. Go figure.

A bit suspicious, no?

A bit suspicious, no?

Ehhh, it takes a LOT of shady things to happen, from the owner all the way down to position coaches and players, to have an entire team collectively tank. I just don't see that being possible.

I have always thought the reason the media keeps saying Luck is the rookie of the year is because they all said he was the best Qb prospect coming out of college ever. If does not when rookie of the year and is beaten out by another Qb it makes them look like they don't know what there talking about. I like Luck and a case could be made for him but its not clear cut like many in the media try to make it

Former players say ALL THE TIME on the countdown shows that once a team is mathematically eliminated, they might not "tank the season" but their heart & mind is definitely not in the game and their best effort is probably not being put forth.

Oh yeah.....and Curtis Painter.

Ehhh, it takes a LOT of shady things to happen, from the owner all the way down to position coaches and players, to have an entire team collectively tank. I just don't see that being possible.

I think it really only takes a hands on owner making situations real difficult for players and coaches to focus on winning games. Irsay would have it in him IMO.

not really. It just took them putting the QBs out there that they put out there. Look at us last year. We could have easily won more games if we weren't averaging 2 pics a week with Rex. Who's playing QB makes a lot of difference and the fact that they had the equivalent of John Beck taking snaps all but set them up for Luck.

I think it really only takes a hands on owner making situations real difficult for players and coaches to focus on winning games. Irsay would have it in him IMO.

I mean, we could have "tanked" the season last year by starting Beck from the get-go to get the #1 seed, but then Mara would've just stripped us of our next 3 #1 picks anyway. They would have been "legitimate" losses, but still dirty.

Archived