Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Notes and Randomness

KDawg

First off, Hail brothers and sisters! 2012 NFC EAST CHAMPIONS!

I ventured over to Redskins.com today to check out the sweet division champion t-shirts. Put it in my basket and went to check out... Then I saw the damn thing is $35 WITHOUT shipping added on. I'll have to wait to take out a loan to pay that kinda money for a t-shirt, yikes!

Here are some random observations/musings:

1) Everyone knows how I feel about Jim Haslett. I think his track record stinks. I don't think he runs the 3-4 well. I don't think he utilizes personnel appropriately. I'm just not a fan. With that said, the run our defense went on at the end of the season, and giving London full control to audible on a whim earns him another year, and from a personal perspective, my thanks. He changed his style and it helped us get to a place we haven't been since 1999. Thank you, Jim Haslett.

2) A guy who deserves a TON of credit for the turnaround of the defense played barely a half of a game this year. Yes, that's right, Brandon Meriweather. When he came back for that glorious few quarters of play, he set a tone for how to get downhill and attack. Ever since that game, our safeties have brought it. Reed Doughty was an animal last night. Madieu Williams came downhill and lit people up. They aren't great in coverage, and we could certainly upgrade. But what an amazing turnaround.

3) To everyone who said that London Fletcher lost a step, and tried to give the "best player on our defense" award to Ryan Kerrigan, I give you this gift: 139 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FF, 5 INT, 11 PD. The 85 year old London Fletcher is STILL the best player we have on that side of the ball.

4) RG3 looked like he had trouble throwing the football a bit last night, which likely means his knee still isn't great, despite what he says. But him at not great is STILL probably the best quarterback we've seen on this team for well over a decade. He did what he needed to do to help our team be successful. And the best part was that he was more than fine with that.

5) Alfred Morris. 200 yards. That's the first 200 yard performance since Gerald Riggs in 1989. Franchise record for rushing yards in a season that not only made all of us EXTREMELY happy, but Clinton Portis looked genuinely happy applauding and cheering him on for taking his Redskin record.

6) Even the alumni are eating this up. This Redskin team is bringing back tradition, and a LARGE part of the thanks has to go to George's little boy, Bruce. Bruce Allen began bringing back tradition and its stayed with the team, and grown, each and every year. Clinton Portis, Mike Sellers, Joe Gibbs, Joe Theismann, Stephen Davis among others were all at the game and cheering on the team last night. Darrell Green has been tweeting his support for quite some time as well.

7) The Washington Redskins had four receivers reach over 500 yards receiving this year. Garcon got to 633 while missing significant time. Santana Moss (573), Leonard Hankerson (543) and Josh Morgan (510) join him. Added to that, Santana had 8 touchdown grabs this year. That's DOUBLE the number of the next closest receiver, Pierre Garcon (4).

8) Bryce Harper has been tweeting for days that this is the year of Division Champions in DC and he's been wearing his RG3 socks, even posting a picture of him wearing them in church yesterday. Well, he's right. Both the Washington Nationals and the Washington Redskins made the playoffs in 2012, and both are division champions. Who saw that coming at the same time?

9) Kyle Shanahan catches a lot of flak around here. But his game planning and play calling has been beyond superb. He can run our base offense when Cousins is in, and he can run a very similar system, using some of Chris Ault's Nevada Pistol offense with our franchise QB under center. One play was DIRECTLY out of Ault's playbook last night. It's called the zone slice. You all saw the zone read time and time again, the difference with the slice is that the FB kicks out the DE instead of reading him. It's a different look but it makes things complicated for the force player (the guy trying to make the RB/QB go back inside) when he's seeing a variety of looks. Excellent wrinkle.

10) Mike Shanahan. Thank you.

One thing dawned on me this morning. We were one botched coverage assignment against the Giants away from going 6-0 in the division.

6-0 with a rookie QB and RB, a defense ravaged by injuries, Fred Davis out for the year, and our #1 WR missing several weeks.

Good god.

One thing dawned on me this morning. We were one botched 80 yard TD to Victor Cruz away from going 6-0 in the division.

6-0 with a rookie QB and RB, a defense destroyed by injuries, our top TE out for the year, and our #1 WR missing several weeks.

Good god.

Incredible, isn't it? Mike Shanahan keeps saying that there's only one team happy at the end of the year. Chris Chester tweeted last night, "That'll do... For now". I LOVE those attitudes. They're incredible. And they need to have that attitude.

But as fans? Anything else that happens this year is purely gravy. That said, bring on the extra gravy and keep pouring! :ols:

I enjoy this thread, though, safe your thanks for a bit. We're going to straight wreck Seattle and get Atlanta. My guess is you have at least two more games before we have to evaluate how thankful we are for the job all of our coaches -- INCLUDING my most hated Haslett -- and team has done.

So many reasons to be happy... yet so many reasons not to be satisfied yet.

Strange, in 2007 getting to the playoffs was enough. The team gave everything it had and you kinda knew they were done. Tired, injured, worn down. This team after 7 in a row feels like they are still building.

We'll see.

I enjoy this thread, though, safe your thanks for a bit. We're going to straight wreck Seattle and get Atlanta. My guess is you have at least two more games before we have to evaluate how thankful we are for the job all of our coaches -- INCLUDING my most hated Haslett -- and team has done.

Completely disagree. Thanks has been earned when we secured a divisional crown for the first time since 1999 and the playoffs for the first time since 2007.

That said, don't take my "thanks" as "well, we're done for the year." We have a new goal now. Bigger and better. But god damn, we're division champs. Thanks are definitely in order.

Completely disagree. Thanks has been earned when we secured a divisional crown for the first time since 1999 and the playoffs for the first time since 2007.

That said, don't take my "thanks" as "well, we're done for the year." We have a new goal now. Bigger and better. But god damn, we're division champs. Thanks are definitely in order.

Yeah, seven in a row after the ditch digger had already started on the grave is a heck of an accomplishment

I hear you on that. Indeed, when I see a thanks I tend to see infer, "No matter what else happens, I'm satisfied." I do not believe that was your intent, and, it is likely the case even a loss Sunday does nothing to diminish the accomplishment of the season deserving of our thanks. I just like to say thanks when it's all done. So, that'll come in at least two and maybe four weeks :).

I hear you on that. Indeed, when I see a thanks I tend to see infer, "No matter what else happens, I'm satisfied." I do not believe that was your intent, and, it is likely the case even a loss Sunday does nothing to diminish the accomplishment of the season deserving of our thanks. I just like to say thanks when it's all done. So, that'll come in at least two and maybe four weeks :).

Whenever you're ready! :ols:

I agree, though. Generally that is the case. But there is a lot to be thankful for as a Redskin fan today.

Now, let's see our guys achieve much, MUCH more.

Solid on-the-money observations and a great post. I really do believe now that this team can (very realistically) beat anyone we face. It makes me almost hesitant to imagine next year if we can make some obvious improvements and RG3 is completely healthy and actually improves his own game---almost hard to imagine even though it's logically expected.

6) Even the alumni are eating this up. This Redskin team is bringing back tradition, and a LARGE part of the thanks has to go to George's little boy, Bruce. Bruce Allen began bringing back tradition and its stayed with the team, and grown, each and every year. Clinton Portis, Mike Sellers, Joe Gibbs, Joe Theismann, Stephen Davis among others were all at the game and cheering on the team last night. Darrell Green has been tweeting his support for quite some time as well.

Mark Schlereth was even tweeting pics of his "rally helmet"! I loved it!!

8329697135_1f757f2c13.jpg

What I love, is that somehow we have depth. LeRibeus came in and played well at LG. I was expecting Hurt to play, but they went with LeRibeus. We have some actual depth. We're developing players, we're young, we've got potential. I wish Keenan Robinson wasn't hurt, as he's capable of adding a big element to our linebacking corps that we lack (coverage).

But man, our run game is looking so solid. Blocking, misdirection, fakes, and Morris is making the right reads and cutting back when he's supposed to. The scheme, man the scheme is nice. And unlike the previous two seasons, we actually have the personnel to run it, we can see it working and see why it's working.

Solid on-the-money observations and a great post. I really do believe now that this team can (very realistically) beat anyone we face. It makes me almost hesitant to imagine next year if we can make some obvious improvements and RG3 is completely healthy and actually improves his own game---almost hard to imagine even though it's logically expected.

I'll tell you what, I like our chances a heck of a lot more facing Seattle in our house and on grass than I do at their house on turf. That said, I like ANYONE'S chances against Seattle better in that environment. Seattle is dangerous at home. Much less on the road.

I still think a good offense will put the hurt on this defense, but the coaching staff has been doing a good job of working with what they have, and the players have been going above and beyond their pay grade. Don't know when it is all going to catch up with them. Personally, I'm amazed it hasn't happened already.

And who the hell is unhappy with Kyle Shanahan at this point?

I still think a good offense will put the hurt on this defense, but the coaching staff has been doing a good job of working with what they have, and the players have been going above and beyond their pay grade. Don't know when it is all going to catch up with them. Personally, I'm amazed it hasn't happened already.

And who the hell is unhappy with Kyle Shanahan at this point?

I know the feeling. I take SEA very seriously, even on the road (and being well ware they are weaker there), but I also see almost every game they play. I also know, realistically, that we can definitely beat them at home. We simply to play as we have been---zero letdown. Per Kyle, we still had our handful of ES-poster "play-calling geniuses" griping about the o-calls all the way into the second half.

Incredible, isn't it? Mike Shanahan keeps saying that there's only one team happy at the end of the year. Chris Chester tweeted last night, "That'll do... For now". I LOVE those attitudes. They're incredible. And they need to have that attitude.

But as fans? Anything else that happens this year is purely gravy. That said, bring on the extra gravy and keep pouring! :ols:

Yeah, I LOVE the team's attitudes. (I think Fletch deserves a chunk of credit for that, but I'm certain he's not alone.)

I was listening to the radio feed, last night (couldn't stand the NBC audio). And after the game, they interviewed one of our players (don't remember which one). And one of the things he said was along the lines of "We need to get ready for whoever we play next week".

I really liked the fact that he didn't know who we were playing next week. To me, that says a lot about our team's attitude and focus.

I've been on this team's bandwagon since we lost to the Giants. Yes, a loss convinced me that we had one heck of a team, here.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 02:10 PM ----------

I hear you on that. Indeed, when I see a thanks I tend to see infer, "No matter what else happens, I'm satisfied."

I'll say it, if nobody else does.

If we get straight-out embarrassed next week, I'm still gonna be very happy and satisfied with this team.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

That's another one of my feelings.

I've been asking for years: When was the last time that anybody referred to the Redskins as over-achievers?

I'll be honest, Seattle concerns me greatly. But if we get by them....I think we roll over Atlanta. Everything from this point on is gravy though. I expected 6-10 this year, I can tell you how happu I am to be WRONG! :D

I'll be honest, Seattle concerns me greatly. But if we get by them....I think we roll over Atlanta. Everything from this point on is gravy though. I expected 6-10 this year, I can tell you how happu I am to be WRONG! :D

Oh, agree.

We been playing with house money since we went 1-2-3 against the NFCE.

Don't we travel to San Fran if we beat Seattle?

I'll tell you what, I like our chances a heck of a lot more facing Seattle in our house and on grass than I do at their house on turf. That said, I like ANYONE'S chances against Seattle better in that environment. Seattle is dangerous at home. Much less on the road.

Exactly. Take away that gift from the replacement refs @ Green Bay and they were 2-6 on the road. Hardly intimidating.

Archived