Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

31 Dec 2012 : NFL Black Monday

killerbee99

NFL Coaches and GM's getting fired left and right, feel free to post the firings, I am being lazy and still drunk from our win last night

Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid fired

Chiefs Head coach Romeo Crennel Fired

Browns Head coach Pat Shumur and GM Tom Heckert fired

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum fired

Jaguars GM Gene Smith fired

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner And GM A.J Smith fired

Bears Head Coach Lovie Smith fired

Cardinals Head Coach Ken Wisenhunt and GM Rod Graves fired

Bears Head Coach Lovie Smith fired

Bills Head Coach Chan Gailey fired

The Bears fired Lovie Smith? Wow....

Not sure why people find it shocking, when it has been a few years since they've made the playoffs. Cutler was supposed to be the man to push them over the top, but he hasn't managed it.

Chan Gailey out in Buffalo just announced on NFLN.

A little more surprising, particularly after the GM gave him a vote of confidence, but it was always a possibility.

Not sure why people find it shocking, when it has been a few years since they've made the playoffs. Cutler was supposed to be the man to push them over the top, but he hasn't managed it.

I don't know at 10-6 in that division is pretty good considering their injuries. I think the players really liked him, I think this hurts them next year.

Not surprising, still doesn't make it right. Lovie isn't the GM that built that horrible OL.
A little more surprising, particularly after the GM gave him a vote of confidence, but it was always a possibility.
Wait, whut? Lovie a winning coach isn't surprising but Chan Gailey a losing coach is surprising?

Wow, and here I was thinking Rex Ryan was going to get fired. How in the world did he keep his job?

His fate may be determined by the GM that's hired, unless Woody Johnson is channeling the old Dan Snyder, and picking a new GM's coach for him.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 11:10 AM ----------

Yeah, and you'd better have a damn good alternative when you fire a coach after a 10-6 season.

Will be interesting to see where all these new coaches come from. College? Offensive/Defensive coordinator positions? Announcer's booth? Or are all these fired coaches just gonna shift around?

I think Rex kept his job because the owner is obviously more concerned about media attention than winning. Word is the owner pushed for Tebow more than anybody. Rex is great for media soundbites. I mean, he got HBO there in the preseason to film them. Winning football games is secondary.

Wait, whut? Lovie a winning coach isn't surprising but Chan Gailey a losing coach is surprising?

Only a little more surprising. I expect the GM is probably getting the ax as well.

As for Lovie, at some point you have to stop going to the well and have to make a change to get better. I expect Lovie will land elsewhere and the change of scenery will benefit both Lovie and the Bears.

I think Adam Shefter said it best, the Coaches in the playoffs are with good track records and stable....This coaching carousel is in some respect out of control....Basically if you don't have a qb you will be gone in two seasons.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 11:20 AM ----------

Will be interesting to see where all these new coaches come from. College? Offensive/Defensive coordinator positions? Announcer's booth? Or are all these fired coaches just gonna shift around?

I think Rex kept his job because the owner is obviously more concerned about media attention than winning. Word is the owner pushed for Tebow more than anybody. Rex is great for media soundbites. I mean, he got HBO there in the preseason to film them. Winning football games is secondary.

I was thinking the same thing, he's an overrated coach that brings a circus to summer camp. He will be gone next season. Like is said in the previous post, no QB YOU WILL be gone. Who is going to play qb for the jets next season?

Only a little more surprising. I expect the GM is probably getting the ax as well.

As for Lovie, at some point you have to stop going to the well and have to make a change to get better. I expect Lovie will land elsewhere and the change of scenery will benefit both Lovie and the Bears.

To each there own. Good luck to the Bears finding a better HC and DC. When you look at the Bears I didn't see a coaching failure but a personnel failure. (And bad luck with Jay getting hurt in the title game a coupla years ago)

Anyways you could put together quite a staff with this bunch of fired coaches.

Lovie (HC/DC) + Chan Gailey/Reid/Norv (OC) + Draft a QB and/or sign Alex Smith/Mike Vick

I think Adam Shefter said it best, the Coaches in the playoffs are with good track records and stable....This coaching carousel is in some respect out of control....Basically if you don't have a qb you will be gone in two seasons.

Pretty much.

We're all very familiar with days like this, been there done that,, so I feel so relieved that we don't have to deal with it (hopefully) again for a long time. And we have a quarterback. Two quarterbacks. All these QB challenged teams that fired their coaches, good luck with finding one this year.

The fact that Rex made it to 2 conference championships with Sanchez at QB is proof he's a solid coach. Believe me, I had to watch the Jets under losers like Herm Edwards and Rich Kotite. The Jets needed to draft RBs, and Tennenbaum gave Sanchez a ridiculous contract extension rather than admitting drafting him was a colossal mistake.

Archived