Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

mccall Film Breakdown: The Eagles' Collective Fail on Alfred Morris' 10 yard TD run

skinnyskins

Although it was written for an Eagles fan audience, it can be greatly appreciated by Skins fans. It breaks down 8 perfectly executed blocks during Morris' 10 yard stroll into the end zone.

http://blogs.mcall.com/eagles/2012/12/film-breakdown-the-eagles-collective-fail-on-alfred-morris-10-yard-td-run.html

A couple of quotes for the TL:DR crowd:

On the Redskins' first drive of the 3rd quarter, they scored on a 10 yard TD run by Alfred Morris. Morris might never have an easier 10 yard TD run for the rest of his career, as no Eagles even breathed on him as he strolled into the end zone. If you want to see video of the run, you can check it out here.
Of the 8 Eagles who had a reasonable chance to stop Morris, or at least cause some sort of disruption on the play, not one player won their individual matchup...That is embarrassing.

That is one of the most enjoyable play dissections I've ever read. When you get into the deets, you realize that you don't need a team full of 1st round bruisers to lead the league in rushing. You see that with the explanation of Chester's block, basically using the DE's momentum against him. I'm really excited to see what our rookie OL crop this year (Le Ribs, Gettis, and Compton) can do as it's clear they were not drafted because they're old school road graders.

That is one of the most enjoyable play dissections I've ever read. When you get into the deets, you realize that you don't need a team full of 1st round bruisers to lead the league in rushing. You see that with the explanation of Chester's block, basically using the DE's momentum against him. I'm really excited to see what our rookie OL crop this year (Le Ribs, Gettis, and Compton) can do as it's clear they were not drafted because they're old school road graders.

Those were my thoughts as well. For years we were on the other end of that kind of analysis and it's great to see our team dishing it out for once.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

Hope we see a lot of that this week.

Im sure we'll see more of the same considering the backups we'll be going against.

That must be one of those gimmicks he's accused of relying on. If it's not 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's a gimmick, right?

Well, I just hope the mediots remember that the "college style" offense we run has vaulted us up to the number 4 offense in the league and RGIII to the number 2 quarterback (rating-wise). One has to give K Shanahan lots of credit for utilizing an offense like the pistol. *Bang Bang*:2drunks:

That must be one of those gimmicks he's accused of relying on. If it's not 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's a gimmick, right?

"Misdirection plays will be out of the NFL next season once players get tape on it. Eventually players will no longer have instincts!"

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 07:49 PM ----------

Well, I just hope the mediots remember that the "college style" offense we run has vaulted us up to the number 4 offense in the league and RGIII to the number 2 quarterback (rating-wise). One has to give K Shanahan lots of credit for utilizing an offense like the pistol. *Bang Bang*:2drunks:

You left out the part about how the Seahawks are now implementing the Pistol and blowing teams out of the water with 50 a game. The 9ers have started using it as well.

Cool. I like that right hand/left hand fake also. That's another misdirection play defenses have to worry about. For those that pay really close attention is that a new tweak to the offense? I saw it used a couple of times in the Eagles game, but don't really remember seeing that in previous games.

That's the beauty of it, as defenses get more amped about Griffin and concentrate on him more, his fakes get even more productive. A LB just going through his assignment might be blissfully unaware of what Griffin is doing, but when they are forced to read/react to him he can manipulate them. I gotta say, I cannot ever remember seeing anyone execute a fake the way that he does, he pulls some three card monte sleight of hand **** back there sometimes.

Good breakdown. I don't know why this offense is considered a gimmick. The Wildcat where the qb is split out wide, yes, THAT'S a gimmick, but an offense that just puts the qb 4 yards behind center? This offense hasn't slowed down, and even when not having mobile qb play the past two weeks our offense has averaged 5.8 ypp, which is still top 5 in the nfl. Read option gameplay is fundamentally sound as you are basically taking one defender out of the play regardless of what the play is.

Other then DeMeco Ryans I didn't recognize one name of the defenders he listed.

Also, pretty tricky by RG3 on the fake, never noticed that. I'll have to keep a closer eye. Sneaky snake.

He's already got one of the best ball fakes in the league. Even some of the elite quarterbacks don't seem to give a **** about their fakes. We've got a guy who doesn't miss a single detail.

Good breakdown. I don't know why this offense is considered a gimmick. The Wildcat where the qb is split out wide, yes, THAT'S a gimmick, but an offense that just puts the qb 4 yards behind center? This offense hasn't slowed down, and even when not having mobile qb play the past two weeks our offense has averaged 5.8 ypp, which is still top 5 in the nfl. Read option gameplay is fundamentally sound as you are basically taking one defender out of the play regardless of what the play is.

Half of the teams in the league will be running plays from this "gimmick" offense in ten years.

He's already got one of the best ball fakes in the league. Even some of the elite quarterbacks don't seem to give a **** about their fakes. We've got a guy who doesn't miss a single detail.

talking about those guys who turn immediately and stick the ball out and pull it back even though the RB is 3 yards away and think that's supposed to fool the D?

I couldn't agree more, the man really sells it. Misdirection, slight of hand, body language, the whole bit. It's an art form in some ways and a huge asset. Some have commented that they have never seen receivers running as free through the secondary as Redskins on play fakes. It all starts with a potent running attack but the LB's are not just tasting the fake. RG3 is giving them hook, line and sinker and they're chomping down HARD!

I couldn't agree more, the man really sells it. Misdirection, slight of hand, body language, the whole bit. It's an art form in some ways and a huge asset. Some have commented that they have never seen receivers running as free through the secondary as Redskins on play fakes. It all starts with a potent running attack but the LB's are not just tasting the fake. RG3 is giving them hook, line and sinker and they're chomping down HARD!

Actually, I keep seeing people showing him faking, where he puts the ball in Morris' belly, and then takes it back.

And I'm amazed that he can do that, AND NOT FUMBLE.

Actually, I keep seeing people showing him faking, where he puts the ball in Morris' belly, and then takes it back.

And I'm amazed that he can do that, AND NOT FUMBLE.

those are those zone read plays people keep talking about. Where Griffin decides on the snap if he's handing off or he's keeping the ball. Meaning Morris doesn't even know if it's a hand off or a fake at the time.

Archived