Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sources: Tim Tebow QUIT on his Jets teammates today

AsiaticSkinsFan

FYI, this differs from what Adam Schefter claims Tebow told him on Sunday night. It also contradicts what Rex Ryan said as well.

I know no one will look into this, and just accept what Tebow said at face value without actually looking at the other words.

So Tebow wont have to worry about anything, no one will bash your character even though it should be looked at a little closer.

FYI, this differs from what Adam Schefter claims Tebow told him on Sunday night. It also contradicts what Rex Ryan said as well.

Does it? Per your OP:

Ryan said during his news conference that they wanted to use Kerley because of the element of surprise. Afterward, Ryan, through a team spokesman, said it was a "coach's decision," when asked specifically if Tebow had opted out.

the post that you are replying to said, "Adam Schefter claims Tebow told him on Sunday Night"

I posted this earlier, but I will post it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEiZTRJpKDY

Yeah, Schefter says in that video (around the 1:00 mark) that

Tebow told Rex Ryan he wanted to play quarterback; that's where the issue arose from

Then, around the 1:45 mark, Schefter says:

I don't think he said it (that Tebow specifically told Ryan that he didn't want to play in the wildcat) to Rex Ryan on Tuesday...I don't know how that was transmitted to Rex Ryan...I can tell you that he was upset about not playing quarterback and not being used as a quarterback for three downs, and that he and Rex cleared the air on Friday

Where did Schefter report that Tebow said specifically that he didn't want to play in the wildcat?

the post that you are replying to said, "Adam Schefter claims Tebow told him on Sunday Night"

I posted this earlier, but I will post it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEiZTRJpKDY

Ok.

"Tim Tebow basically said to Rex Ryan that he wanted to play quarterback, that was the big issue all along."

-Schefter

"Tebow said he told Ryan he wanted to be a "regular quarterback." Ryan removed Tebow from the Wildcat, using receiver Jeremy Kerley in that role in Sunday's loss to the San Diego Chargers."

- Cimini's article on ESPN

I don't see the difference.

Tebow obviously wanted to play quarterback, told Ryan as much, Kerley was given the Wildcat job, then Tebow later clarified with Ryan that just because he wanted to play quarterback, doesn't mean he isn't willing to do anything for the team.

I don't see what the big deal is, really.

Where did Schefter report that Tebow said specifically that he didn't want to play in the wildcat?

"when he did get a chance to play QB, it was in the wildcat formation, and it wasnt playing 3 downs... He and Rex didnt speak until Friday when Tebow told him he would do whatever Rex wanted (This being AFTER the Jets implemented their offensive gameplan)"

The Jets had been using Tebow in that wildcat formation all season, then they use Jeremy Kerley after that meeting Tebow and Ryan had on Tuesday? Nah man. Schefter basically said it right then and there and Tebow contradicted that today. Shoot, in the quotes from today Tebow even from that article Tebow said this:

Tebow admitted Wednesday it's "a possibility" that Ryan misinterpreted his stance. In retrospect, Tebow wishes he had been more clear.

Nah, he just contradicted the Schefter report.

Also let it be known this is the 3rd time someone "lied" about what Tebow said in the last 18 months. Summer of 2011 it was Woody Paige taking his words out of context.

Then its Elway who chose to trade him to the Jets, and it wasnt Tebow's choice of destination.

Now its this.

"when he did get a chance to play QB, it was in the wildcat formation, and it wasnt playing 3 downs... He and Rex didnt speak until Friday when Tebow told him he would do whatever Rex wanted (This being AFTER the Jets implemented their offensive gameplan)"

The Jets had been using Tebow in that wildcat formation all season, then they use Jeremy Kerley after that meeting Tebow and Ryan had on Tuesday? Nah man. Schefter basically said it right then and there and Tebow contradicted that today. Shoot, in the quotes from today Tebow even from that article Tebow said this:

Saying he wants to be a three down QB isn't saying that he "wants to be taken off the wildcat". So, yeah. That's a nice reach that you've made right there.

Oh, and that "all season" you're talking about? 20 plays. Tebow played 20 (non-punt) plays all season.

Nah, he just contradicted the Schefter report.

Also let it be known this is the 3rd time someone "lied" about what Tebow said in the last 18 months. Summer of 2011 it was Woody Paige taking his words out of context.

Then its Elway who chose to trade him to the Jets, and it wasnt Tebow's choice of destination.

Now its this.

"Lying" about what Tebow said also isn't what happened. There's a big difference between that misinterpreting what he said. I'm sure you're never misunderstood, though, so you probably don't know anything about that. :rolleyes:

Once again, you're purposefully misstating what happened to make Tebow look bad.

Saying he wants to be a three down QB isn't saying that he "wants to be taken off the wildcat". So, yeah. That's a nice reach that you've made right there.

all I will say is this... if Tebow didnt ask out of the Wildcat then why did the Jets decide to use Jeremy Kerely there last week? Why has Tebow never discussed why that happened? It took 16 weeks for them to start using Kerely? Something doesnt add up. Thats all.

all I will say is this... if Tebow didnt ask out of the Wildcat then why did the Jets decide to use Jeremy Kerely there last week? Why has Tebow never discussed why that happened? It took 16 weeks for them to start using Kerely? Something doesnt add up. Thats all.

You are right, something doesn't add up.

Jets trade for Tebow.

Sanchez one of the worst QB's in the league.

Tebow doesn't get a chance to play.

They start 3rd string QB instead.

Not a Tebow fan or hater. Love that the Jets are the most embarrassing team in the NFL from a PR perspective rather than the Redskins.

It all doesn't add up why they traded for Tebow. Meanwhile the coach and the starting QB wont be at the Jets next year.

But it's all Tebow's fault ;) That doesn't add up.

Did Tebow sleep with ASF's sister or something? I mean seriously. The vendetta seems personal.

Let's just break down Tebow for what he is; Tebow was a highly touted, highly recruited quarterback coming out of high school. He won a national championship and a Heisman trophy at the University of Florida. He made no bones about his faith and wore it on his sleeve and in his eye black. He pissed some people off because that faith, at times, was seen as being thrown in their face.

He was also...unconventional. He had a bad throwing motion (to say the least), he ran the ball better than he threw it. And yet he was called a great quarterback. And that again pissed people off who had a set idea of what a great quarterback was supposed to be.

Tebow was overdrafted by a young, brash head coach who had far too much organizational power for his own good. The fact that Tebow was a first round draft pick and probably shouldn't have been pissed off people even more. He came into the league and had the number one selling jersey, and he got a ton of media coverage despite being a rookie stuck behind a servicable veteran.

Then Orton got hurt, and Tebow played okay in those last few games in 2010. "Playing okay" was blown up as "THIS GUY IS A WINNER! WOW, HE'S PLAYING GREAT!". This, of course, pissed people off even more. But at least he only played okay, and he lost a couple games.

And then 2011 happened. And despite not playing anything like a quarterback, all Tebow did was win. And yes, he had an incredible defense behind him.

But one of the things that kind of gets me is the "his defense never got any credit for those wins!". Honestly, all I heard on ESPN and NFL Network and on message boards and blog post was all about how the defense was getting no credit, and how it wasn't Tebow at all, and why wasn't the defense getting any credit. Quite frankly, everyone was so busy ****ing about Denver's defense not getting any credit, they didn't stop and realize that they were all giving the defense credit it deserved.

But Tebow was also a key part of those wins. He didn't turn the ball over, they scored touchdowns in the red zone, and he came back in big games in big scenarios, and he played his ass off in the playoffs versus the Steelers of all times.

Which only infuriated people who swore up and down that he could not win in the NFL. Which was compounded by the absurd coverage he got during that stretch.

And then there was this offseason, which was ridiculous.

All the dude wants to do is play football and glorify God. He gets a lot more coverage for doing that than other players who love to do the same. He's charismatic, he's good looking, he's marketable. He's everything you want in a quarterback, except for that whole "throwing" thing, and even despite being mediocre (at best) at that, he STILL won games.

The fact that there's this level of abject loathing for a guy who, by all accounts, is a good dude, is amusing, but also kind of sad. More than the rise of a hero, people love to see a hero fall. Especially a guy like Tebow. People jumped on this to prove Tebow is selfish and has ulterior motives for the things he does, when if they even looked at it from a foot away from the fire-breathing disgust with the guy they'd realize they were being silly.

I'd of quit on em' too.. After what happened in Denver, there was zero chance Ryan would put him in as the starter and "risk" him sparking the Jets to a couple meaningless late season wins.. Kid was setup from the get go.. Only thing I'd of done differently was told the press the real story.. (And probably never been employed again in the process) lol.. He'll probably go to the Jags and makes a bunch of people look silly for a second time..

edit: Damn, after posting, (from only reading 1 page of replies) then reading NLC's post, I should of just "Plus 1'd" him.. Nuff said.. :thumbsup:

There's a reason why a lot of us joked during Tebow's heyday at UF that it would be a shame if he was caught running a human trafficking ring. Guys like him are "Too good to be true," and people who truly hate, or are jealous of the guy were forced to stay silent. As I said in the Cam thread, issues like this always boil down to benefit of doubt, since a lot of this typically ends up"He said/he said."

We all have seen/heard of the type of person that Tebow is, on and off the football field, so when something sketchy comes out that doesn't jive with his character, he gets the benefit of the doubt. And as I said earlier in the thread, even if he said "Eff it, I'm playing quarterback or nothing at all" I would've respected his stance, same as I would have for anyone else. But when something negative comes out about Cam, regarding his character/work ethic (all which have come under fire), seeing the way that he carries himself, along with his history in college, I wouldn't be so quick to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's the way it goes. People who think that Cam is being unfairly criticized (for whatever reason they have to offer) will set their crosshairs firmly on a guy like Tebow.

There's a reason why a lot of us joked during Tebow's heyday at UF that it would be a shame if he was caught running a human trafficking ring. Guys like him are "Too good to be true," and people who truly hate, or are jealous of the guy were forced to stay silent. As I said in the Cam thread, issues like this always boil down to benefit of doubt, since a lot of this typically ends up"He said/he said."

We all have seen/heard of the type of person that Tebow is, on and off the football field, so when something sketchy comes out that doesn't jive with his character, he gets the benefit of the doubt. And as I said earlier in the thread, even if he said "Eff it, I'm playing quarterback or nothing at all" I would've respected his stance, same as I would have for anyone else. But when something negative comes out about Cam, regarding his character/work ethic (all which have come under fire), seeing the way that he carries himself, along with his history in college, I wouldn't be so quick to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's the way it goes. People who think that Cam is being unfairly criticized (for whatever reason they have to offer) will set their crosshairs firmly on a guy like Tebow.

Disagree with your entire post, and out of context.

Cam is a starting QB in the NFL He got lots of accolades and entries into the HOF.

Tebow got accolades but mostly was considered a bust as an NFL QB.

Cam had a bad year, Tebow got no opportunities to play.

Cam had nobody set to replace him.

Tebow was an option to replace a bad QB.

Not a racial thing, just a WTF thing.

Cam has never had talent around him as good as Tebow. Eric Decker and Dede Thomas are a good set of WRs,better than what Cam has. Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller are showing this season that it was not Tebow made them play well, and they had Champ and Bdawk on defense (as it was pointed out to you with statistics that you chose to dismiss because "Mike and the Clown" on Charlotte said otherwise, the Panthers defense is terrible). Willis McGahee at running back and a really good offensive line.Cam has had a borderline Hall of Fame WR to throw to in his two years. He also has a top 10 TE, 3 decent RBs. And LaFell is an up and coming WR. And Cam got a pass last year because his defense was bottom 5 in the NFL. Well, now they're a top 10 defense. So what's his excuse now?

In fact, that's the only situation Tebow can do a mediocre job at, when he has a lot of talent around him. It was like that at Florida too.LOL What QB has ever succeeded without talent around him?! You don't make any sense.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 08:21 AM ----------

you never mentioned it (its also untrue).I did mention previously that Cam has only beaten ONE team with a winning record that had their QB starting. Last year when Carolina won at Houston, Matt Schaub was injured. When Carolina beat Atlanta a few weeks ago, that marked the first time Cam had ever accomplished it.

Cam has a really bad football team around him.Yeah, so bad that they are a top 10 defense. And the excuses people made for him last year were that Carolina would have had a better record if their defense wasn't so terrible. Again, they are in the top 10 now. There are no more excuses.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 08:25 AM ----------

Idk about the bad position part because Denver lead the league in 3 and outs during his stretch as a starter, but I did mention that Tebow doesnt throw interceptions being a good thing.

But it had nothing to do with "believing" and everything to do with knowing they had to do more because the offense was garbage.

Even though it wasnt a named person, here is what some Broncos said about Tebow last season

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21243971/some-broncos-players-feel-sympathy-for-tim-tebow

They know it too.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 08:26 AM ----------

remember earlier, you said that you didnt listen to Skip Bayless, now you are trying to cite him. Filed.No, dude. I said I don't usually listen to Bayless for any insightful knowledge of football. But the guy did always have his facts in order for the naysayers. The guy does his homework, I'll give him that much. The only reason I bother watching that show now is for pure comedy. He and Stephen A are such dopes it's hysterical.

is he or is he not about to be on his 3rd team in 4 years? I only mentioned it in response to Brady Quinn being on his 3rd team in 6 years. Is it wrong or not?

Try following along a little better. Again, it's no slight to Tebow to be replaced by a guy that's a 4-time (maybe 5, pretty soon) MVP and Super Bowl-winning QB. And the Jets organization is a trainwreck. They should have never brought the guy in to begin with.

For sake of argument I will assume that sometime prior to the game Tebow marched into Ryan's office snatched his fat butt up out of his chair and yelled "I will not run the damn wild cat anymore mother ****er! You hear me?! NEVER. AGAIN."

I'm still not mad. Dude doesn't want to be a gimmicky QB and it seems that he was brought to NY to be a locker room presence more than anything else. They saw a locker room that was a few bad days removed from someone getting shanked in the showers and thought spraying some Jesus in the corners would chase the angry out. Plus, I kind of like the idea of Rex Ryan being surprised by a enraged Tebow. It would be like a NFL version "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a *****?" moment.

The Jets need to avoid falling into the Washington Wizards trap and blaming players for what is clearly a GM orchestrated disaster.

Welllll..i don't know.

Denver turned in a damn good defensive performance last year. Granted, Tebow did his thing, but like i said above,, can it be duplicated? it would have to be.

It works for us because RG3 can definitely throw with some of the best QBs in the league. He's accurate in the pocket and on the run, He's got a BIG pro arm. he can also burn you with his legs. And that is why it works. Defenses have so many things to key on that it creates holes.

Tebow is clearly one-dimensional. every bit of intel around the league is he simply can't pass the ball.

reminds me more of the Ravens knowing that Trent Dilfer was NOT a good QB, regardless of how the Ravens finished.

~Bang

I'm not putting him in the Hall of Fame, just saying he can play. Heck, I think our offense is the one he'd thrive in. That intermediate throw straight over the middle on the read option and the deep throws, those are his best throws. I don't know how good he'd be on the run or the bootlegs but I guess we'd find out. I know Denver's D played well last year. Aren't they playing well for Peyton's offense too?

Disagree with your entire post, and out of context.

Cam is a starting QB in the NFL He got lots of accolades and entries into the HOF.

Tebow got accolades but mostly was considered a bust as an NFL QB.

Cam had a bad year, Tebow got no opportunities to play.

Cam had nobody set to replace him.

Tebow was an option to replace a bad QB.

Not a racial thing, just a WTF thing.

I have no idea what your response has to do with my post...

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

I'm not putting him in the Hall of Fame, just saying he can play. Heck, I think our offense is the one he'd thrive in. QUOTE]

He doesn't have the speed or consistent accuracy to be anywhere near the threat that RGIII is in this system, and I don't think he has the pocket escapability either. He might be able to do okay, but there's a reason why Denver led the league in three and outs last year. You have to be able to threaten a defense as a passer, and he doesn't threaten anybody. That's part of the reason why he beat the Steelers. They had absolutely no respect for him as a passer.

But it's all Tebow's fault ;) That doesn't add up.

the thing is I dont blame Tebow for his situation with the Jets, I blame Woody Johnson for throwing him on that team. Thats the big problem here.

Did Tebow sleep with ASF's sister or something? I mean seriously. The vendetta seems personal.

lulz, you thought that was funny and original.

Again, I have nothing against Tebow personally. I have said that throughout. In fact, it was your simple self that tried to suggest that I dont like Tebow because he is pro-life which I told you was a complete nonsense and that stance is probably why he is so popular. Then a mod came in and you had to fall back because YOU tried to make it personal when its not.

He pissed some people off because that faith, at times, was seen as being thrown in their face.

after a mod told you to not do this, you do it again. Unbelievable.

He was also...unconventional. He had a bad throwing motion (to say the least), he ran the ball better than he threw it. And yet he was called a great quarterback. And that again pissed people off who had a set idea of what a great quarterback was supposed to be.

lol, are you really calling Tebow a great QB?

But one of the things that kind of gets me is the "his defense never got any credit for those wins!". Honestly, all I heard on ESPN and NFL Network and on message boards and blog post was all about how the defense was getting no credit, and how it wasn't Tebow at all, and why wasn't the defense getting any credit. Quite frankly, everyone was so busy ****ing about Denver's defense not getting any credit, they didn't stop and realize that they were all giving the defense credit it deserved.

lol, this is bizarre. Especially considering that in this very thread that hasnt happened.

But Tebow was also a key part of those wins. He didn't turn the ball over, they scored touchdowns in the red zone, and he came back in big games in big scenarios, and he played his ass off in the playoffs versus the Steelers of all times.

the Steelers were missing 3 starters on defense in that game including the captain of their secondary. If you are going to defend the Redskins defense all season for missing 4 potential starters, lets do the same for Pittsburgh.

All the dude wants to do is play football and glorify God. He gets a lot more coverage for doing that than other players who love to do the same. He's charismatic, he's good looking, he's marketable. He's everything you want in a quarterback, except for that whole "throwing" thing, and even despite being mediocre (at best) at that, he STILL won games.

The fact that there's this level of abject loathing for a guy who, by all accounts, is a good dude, is amusing, but also kind of sad. More than the rise of a hero, people love to see a hero fall. Especially a guy like Tebow. People jumped on this to prove Tebow is selfish and has ulterior motives for the things he does, when if they even looked at it from a foot away from the fire-breathing disgust with the guy they'd realize they were being silly.

the problem with Tebow is this, people give him credit they do not other athletes

Its that simple.

I HATED Tim Tebow in Florida. I laughed when he cried after losing the SEC championship game. I laughed when the Broncos drafted him, I laughed when the Broncos started him. But then he won. And I enjoyed watching Broncos games last year because of his incredible ability to suck for 55 minutes, then "Tebow up" like Hulk Hogan back in the day and pull a win out of his ass. I was in on the joke too. He's not good, but he wins. I know its a cliche, but its also the truth.

He never got a fair shake here in NY. I hope he goes and plays and has a serviceable career. He's a good dude, and what the Jets are doing to him is petty......

Cant you see how unfair that is? Tebow is allowed to have an ego because we know he believes in Jesus and he likes helping kids. "So what that he quit on his team and told the coach he wouldnt play in a formation anymore, thats ok Its Tebow,"

that has been the argument for what he has done since the story came out. I think it is completely unfair.

For goodness sake, FSUSkins24 dismissed Cam Newton's charity work as being for the cameras and just cutting a check, while at the same time propping up Tebow's charity work as if he is the only person to ever do that? Thats absurd.

Try following along a little better. Again, it's no slight to Tebow to be replaced by a guy that's a 4-time (maybe 5, pretty soon) MVP and Super Bowl-winning QB. And the Jets organization is a trainwreck. They should have never brought the guy in to begin with.

Until you dont type like you work for BSPN or you work for the local Morning Zoo sports talk radio show, I will not reply to your posts again. I am serious too, I have never read something of yours that does not sound like you arent regurgitating it from sports talk radio or BSPN.

For sake of argument I will assume that sometime prior to the game Tebow marched into Ryan's office snatched his fat butt up out of his chair and yelled "I will not run the damn wild cat anymore mother ****er! You hear me?! NEVER. AGAIN."

I'm still not mad. Dude doesn't want to be a gimmicky QB and it seems that he was brought to NY to be a locker room presence more than anything else. They saw a locker room that was a few bad days removed from someone getting shanked in the showers and thought spraying some Jesus in the corners would chase the angry out. Plus, I kind of like the idea of Rex Ryan being surprised by a enraged Tebow. It would be like a NFL version "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a *****?" moment.

The Jets need to avoid falling into the Washington Wizards trap and blaming players for what is clearly a GM orchestrated disaster.

the Jets have always been a bad organization and they are loud and bad which makes it worse. The Wizards have been quietly bad for nearly 30 years.

And nah, I cant give Tebow a pass on this considering the dude has done stuff like this before. You wouldnt give any other athlete a pass, and this includes some guys who are very charitable and have great personalities themselves but do not put it out in the media because they want to keep it private, so why Tebow? Especially since his talent does not warrant a pass?

You know how many players in the NFL think they are being misused or upset about a team not doing what they "promised?" Yet only Tebow gets sympathy while we dismiss, ignore, and for the most part badmouth the others? Thats completely unfair and Tebow has done nothing to warrant that treatment.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 11:20 AM ----------

He's not good, but he wins. I know its a cliche, but its also the truth.

so does Mark Sanchez.

Cant you see how unfair that is? Tebow is allowed to have an ego because we know he believes in Jesus and he likes helping kids. "So what that he quit on his team and told the coach he wouldnt play in a formation anymore, thats ok Its Tebow,"

that has been the argument for what he has done since the story came out. I think it is completely unfair.

Let me ask you this:

if Michael Vick was the one that was told to gain 15 pounds, and play on special teams as a punt protector, and strictly a Wildcat QB (and did all of that, all season, without making a fuss), and was told he'd be the backup, only to be lied to, and not given a fair opportunity even though the entire team and organization around him sucked (and took a dump on him in the media), would you applaud/defend him him if he said "Enough is enough, I am a quarterback, and nothing else?"

Let me ask you this:

if Michael Vick was the one that was told to gain 15 pounds, and play on special teams as a punt protector, and strictly a Wildcat QB (and did all of that, all season, without making a fuss), and was told he'd be the backup, only to be lied to, and not given a fair opportunity even though the entire team and organization around him sucked (and took a dump on him in the media), would you applaud/defend him him if he said "Enough is enough, I am a quarterback, and nothing else?"

Conversely, if it was Michael Vick in this exact situation the people defending Tebow would be bashing Vick for quitting on his team and not doing what his coaches tell him. And I would join them because I would agree. Just like when Albert Haynesworth made a stink about the defense moving to a 3-4 and him being upset that he had to play DE in that formation after being promised by the owners that we would be a 4-3 defense built around him. I criticized Haynesworth for that too, and I know others in her also criticized Haynesworth.

Just like I dont defend Cam Newton's immature antics either. Never have. And just like I have said many times that RG3 has a huge ego and is very arrogant.

Nah, what I do is ask for equality in how we look at these players, something many on here are not willing to do.

But he didn't tell the coach he "wouldn't play in a formation". He said he wanted to be a three down "regular" quarterback. There is a BIG difference that you seem to either gloss over or ignore.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 11:54 AM ----------

And just like I have said many times that RG3 has a huge ego and is very arrogant.

Um, RG3 isn't arrogant at all.

Arrogance is hyping himself up over everyone else, and doing things just to glorify himself. He doesn't do any of that. You might need to reread the definition of ego and arrogance in the dictionary.

Archived