Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Rob Parker on RG3 comments: “I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry”

flexxskins

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2012, 2:23 PM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/19/rob-parker-on-rg3-comments-i-blew-it-and-im-sincerely-sorry/

Rob Parker, the ESPN commentator who was suspended after saying on the air that he questions whether Robert Griffin III is authentically black because he is engaged to a white woman, has now issued an apology.

Although Parker initially defended his comments and called his critics “silly” and “uneducated,” Parker said in the statement he posted on Twitter today that after six days to reflect, he has seen the error of his ways.

“I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry,” Parker wrote. “I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one. Robert’s thoughts about being an African-American quarterback and the impact of his phenomenal success have been discussed in other media outlets, as well as among sports fans, particularly those in the African-American community. The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one. I regrettably introduced some points that I never should have and I completely understand the strong response to them, including ESPN’s reaction. Perhaps most importantly, the attention my words have brought to one of the best and brightest stars in all of sports is an unintended and troubling result. Robert Griffin III is a talented athlete who not only can do great things on the field, but off the field handles himself in a way we are all taught – with dignity, respect and pride. I’ve contacted his agent with hopes of apologizing to Robert directly. As I reflect on this and move forward, I will take the time to consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner.” Click link above for the rest of the article

Ah, I think it's a legit apology. He didn't just say "I'm sorry if I offended anyone....."

I DO think there is a conversation to be had about this, but Parker went completely over the line an came off as a bigot and a thoughtless. He admitted as much, publicly said he was sorry and is attempting to apologize directly to RG3.

I can accept that.

What makes you think HE actually wrote it? That sounds far too intelligent for him to have written all by himself...

My guess is he just signed his name to something someone else penned for him...

But I agree with those above...he isn't sorry for what he said, just sorry that he got in trouble for it!!

some of the comments on the PFT page,,,,lol..

jwil444 says:

Dec 19, 2012 2:34 PM

“That might be the most sincere and honest apology I’ve ever heard in my life”……….said nobody.

overweightman says:

Dec 19, 2012 2:33 PM

Real men apologize on twitter…

marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says:

Dec 19, 2012 2:31 PM

Apology accepted… Oh wait, you’re fired!

23 0

stillers7 says:

Dec 19, 2012 2:31 PM

are we still uneducated and silly?

Personally, I didn't really care what he said in the first place. It was just a laughable foot in mouth moment.

As for the apology, look at his tweets the next day to see how he really feels. He ****ily bragged about being back on TV the next day and basically defended his silly comments. He had lame ass Internet fighs with people about it. Then he gets suspended and he changes his tune. What a dork.

Archived