Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The real winner in the RG3 Pistol : The O-line

Gart Monk

I truly believe that Alfred is the real deal. It is very "diesel-like" to see him carrying multiple defenders as he is falling forward, grinding out 3-4yds extra. I think that most of you will agree that the opening day offense we saw vs NO was shocking. I was speechless. RG3 & the Pistol forces defenses to account for six skill players. A standard offense attacks with five.

Morris has max-benefitted from the RG3 Pistol, but let us look at the O-line. It is the same maligned unit that got Rex killed all of last year. In 2011 they were a completly busted unit. The offense limped through the season and it was certain that it was going to be a major part of free agency.

In 2012 they host the top-rated passer (through 13gms), and Morris is 292yds away from WSH single season rushing record (Portis). This is a staggering acomplishment considering WSH has rookies at QB, QB2, RB, two starting 1st year FA WRs and "Franchise" Fred has been on IR all season. This is the result of brilliant coaching. Through 13 games the O-line is in good health (probably because it constantly attacks the second level instead of just taking ambush)

Here's my questions...

1)It is a very real possibility that RG3 wont play vs CLE. Can the offense continue it's successful rushing attack, in more of a base offense w/o RG3?

2)If Morris breaks WSH single season rushing record, will it rank Morris & the O-line above any of "The Hogs" teams?

3)If you were a pro wrestler, what would your finishing/knockout move be?

1. I don't know enough about Cleveland to really answer this one. If their run defense is mediocre, we could cram AlMo down their throats and get a Dilferesque win.

2. No. Just no. The Hogs led to breaking the SB rushing record TWICE in 5 years with two different RBs. Rypien only got sacked 9 times all year in 91. There were NO weak spots on that line. RG3 makes this line look much better than it is - remember when Dullass had 3 of their guys sent to the ProBowl, and then after Romo sits to pee got hurt and they got stuck w/ BJ at backup....suddenly everyone realized they truly sucked. I'm NOT saying our guys aren't good - TW and Montgomery deserve ProBowl mention, but the rest have been inconsistent in pass protection.

3. Mace spray, hidden in my jock strap.

1) No. The absence of Griffins zone-read threat will allow once hesitant linebackers to attack Morris with abandon. Morris will still fall forward, but usual 6 yard gains will become 3 yard ones.

2)No, see Riggo-tonis response. Kyle has been very effective at hiding our O-line weaknesses by causing defensive hesitation. This line has some real strengths and some real weaknesses. I have a feeling that Kirk starting will expose those weaknesses.

3) A flaming arrow aimed directly at Riggo-tonis jock. Mace explosions and little redneck kid shrapnel everywhere.

1. No. As we saw at the end of the game vs. Baltimore, once RG3 was out, Alfred's gains turned into 1 and 2 yard nibbles. It suddenly looked as if we were watching a game from last season. Teams (Cleveland) will force Cousins to beat them through the air.

2. Never. They must win multiple super bowls first to even be in the discussion.

3. Cobra Kai Leg Sweep

1) If Cousins establishes himself early as a passing threat it will keep the D honest and give the Butler space to run. RG3's ability to run is a significant part of the run game's success, so without it that aspect will be reduced.

2) No. Agreed with points above and adding that the Hogs didn't have RG3's mobility and pistol formation to make their lives easier, they dealt with a carousel at both the QB and RB positions and made everyone else's life easier whereas RG3 is making the current OL's lives easier.

3) Backflip kick to the face then front flip landing elbow to the head on the mat

1. No. As we saw at the end of the game vs. Baltimore, once RG3 was out, Alfred's gains turned into 1 and 2 yard nibbles. It suddenly looked as if we were watching a game from last season. Teams (Cleveland) will force Cousins to beat them through the air.

The only offensive plays after Griffin went out in regulation were passes and in OT, we were deep enough in Baltimore territory in was obvious where we were going for the purpose of positioning the ball

Here's my questions...

1)It is a very real possibility that RG3 wont play vs CLE. Can the offense continue it's successful rushing attack, in more of a base offense w/o RG3?

I think the running game will be less explosive but still remain effective without the read-option plays. The running game will just look more like the running game we saw last year, which was effective when given the chance.
2)If Morris breaks WSH single season rushing record, will it rank Morris & the O-line above any of "The Hogs" teams?
No.
all the good moves have already been taken, but I've always been a fan of the bulldog.

Here's my questions...

1. Not sure here... but I do know that Cousins is way more mobile than Rexy :)

2. Too early. My mind can't even go there.

3. The Boston Crab (any gamers on here?)

Here's my questions...

1. I think the offense can still produce. The biggest difference between last year's offense and this one is that we are not turning the ball over. Rex played well last year, imo, he just turned the ball over way too much.

2. No. You have to do it for more than one season.

3. Famouser or STS..... (A Sean Taylor Spear)

2. Never. They must win multiple super bowls first to even be in the discussion.

3. Cobra Kai Leg Sweep

1)Griffin was out for less than 2 minutes...

2)Agreed...

3)LOL!

I hate to do this to the OP, who I have respect for over the years.

But question two is one of the most ridiculous ones I've ever seen posed on this here board.

Hail.

Thanks! I like to think of myself as an "impact poster". The 3 questions are intended to be ridiculous in sequential fashion. If the season plays out good for WSH, then Shanahan will have accomplished quite a feat with this roster. IMO one of the best coaching acomplishments of all time.

1. Our successful rushing attacked hinged on the 1-2 punch of RG3 and Da Butler. With RG3 out, that eliminates the pistol Offense basically and Cleve can now focus on putting guys in the box to stop Al. This in turn is going to force a couple of 3rd and longs. Again voiding our pistol package.

2. In order for these guys to become the new Hogs, they have to dominate for more than 1 season as well as in the POST season.

3.My move is called the CHAKRA

There's no way this line is close to the Hogs (I think the line was better off even between the Hogs and now over a few different seasons). The reason the our running game is at the level it is at is mainly due to the threat of RG3 - the zone read is key, if the d freezes then the blockers have a head start which leads to the holes Morris has seen, if they pursue, RG3 keeps it and runs around as Morris is hit in the backfield...the last option is we pass and RG3 is still hit on a quick pass. The athleticism of RG3 is what makes the line "look" good.

I really feel like Cousins is in a tough spot just because how poor the right side of the OL is without the pistol (even though I wouldn't be surprised to see it maybe 2-3 times)
Kirk is gonna be fine. The OL this year is no worse then the OL last year and that OL was good enough to field a good running game when Kyle chose to run it and a good passing game despite below average WRs.

Just think of last years offense and replace Rex with Cousins. I think we will see some Pistol although the defense will play it differently and I think the plays won't be read option or option plays.

Archived