Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VIDEO: Rob Parker Questions RGIII "Is he a brother or is he a cornball brother?"

AVTizzle

Rob has a history of being a racist.

Truth be told, Jemele Hill, SA SMith (though less so, he actually speaks some truth sometimes) Wilbon and the like all engage in the racial homerism/"it must be racism" angle far too often.

Then people wonder why other people are like "ugh, here we go with the race card." The problem is, it is hard to talk about when it's a real issue because it's so often abused by the Hills of the world. I hate it because I think the difference in coverage of Luck and Griffin is partly based on race, not on race HATE< but just biases. But it's hard to talk about with people because they get defensive due to constantly seeing it overdone or misapplied.

Can someone explain to me why Parker said "Im talking about the real brothers in the barber shop, not the college educated ones?"

So hes saying that African Americans who have an education arent real brothers? And didnt Parker go to college? Then hes saing hes not "real"?

its like Sarah Palin talking about "real America"

he is an idiot, and you need not listen to him. Just troll him on twitter @robparkerespn.

Honestly, Parker already lost his job with Detroit years ago talking **** about Kirk Cousins.

"In October 2008, Parker erroneously reported that Kirk Cousins, a quarterback for the Michigan State Spartans, was involved in a fight with members of the Michigan State hockey team. At the time of the fight, Cousins was at church with his parents. After being publicly reproved by head coach Mark Dantonio at his weekly news conference, Parker was suspended by The Detroit News for two weeks."

And now he's about to lose his job at ESPN talking about RG3.

This is war. DC is about to add one to the unemployment line.

Can someone explain to me why Parker said "Im talking about the real brothers in the barber shop, not the college educated ones?"

So hes saying that African Americans who have an education arent real brothers? And didnt Parker go to college? Then hes saing hes not "real"?

I never understood this.

Personally, I think its just hate. Parkers a hater because hes not 1/100 as successful as RG3 is, so now he wants to say that RG3 isnt a real "brother".

I was wondering that as well. So thoughtful, intelligent, college educated African Americans aren't "real brothers"?

I never understood this.

Personally, I think its just hate. Parkers a hater because hes not 1/100 as successful as RG3 is, so now he wants to say that RG3 isnt a real "brother".

Yeah, I guess my grandpa wasn't real because he was Alpha Phi Alpha at a HBCU and became a prominent attorney in DC (season tix to Skins for years.) Not real, clearly.

You see a little bit of this in certain working class white communities. You aren't "real" because you went to college. Or sometimes it's less about "real" than about people assuming they aren't good enough to deal with you, which is really silly but we should be mindful of how we put college graduates above others, simply for the fact of the degree, when the plumber might be an auto-didact who knows math, science and philosophy and the marketing major knows...um...lol

"im talking about the real brothers in the barbershop, not college educated ones"

Thats what this idiot Parker said. His shape-up represents a man that hasnt been in a barbershop in half a decade.

Where did you get this quote? Was it in the same interview? I didn't hear it on the video or see it in the transcript I found.

This is great comedy. He managed to troll the two biggest trolls in all of sports "analysis." Not everything has to involve race...you're a human first. Man/woman 2nd. Anything else is some bull**** society tries to instill upon you. That bull**** is unfortunately sponsored by candy ass fools like this guy. Race is a problem in America, don't get me wrong, but some people just don't want to see progress being made where there is.

I am a person of mixed race that identifies as African-American due to the one drop rule that was forced upon us by our white ancestors. I have no problem with any African-American dating or marrying outside of our race. My problem is with self hating black folks. I have several dozen black friends who are married to white women but go out of their way to point out the flaws of the black race. How black people are ignorant ugly, Nappy headed ect and a few who even go as far as staying out of black areas because they make them uncomfortable. I even had one guy tell me that he got tired of being teased for being dark so he married a white woman to give his kids light skin. This is what I have a problem with with. I have never met RGIII in my life and have no Idea if this is how he feels. He comes across as kind of a nerd who did not grow up around a huge black population and does not know how to fit in around black folks. He also did not have a typical black upbringing growing up in the military. I really admire RGIII and hope he doesn't get sucked into this kind of negativity.

Okay, I'm not going to write the same **** 3 times. Am I'm not trying to call attention to anything but this one particular thing. (And i do this because of the fire it fuels under DC :evilg: :evilg: :evilg: )

Rob Parker has already lost a job over a current Redskins QB.

His name is Kirk Cousins.

In October 2008, Parker erroneously reported that Kirk Cousins, a quarterback for the Michigan State Spartans, was involved in a fight with members of the Michigan State hockey team. At the time of the fight, Cousins was at church with his parents. After being publicly reproved by head coach Mark Dantonio at his weekly news conference, Parker was suspended by The Detroit News for two weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Parker_(sports_journalist)

Right from his wiki page.

Maybe he just hates our city!?

I get where Parker is coming from but there is an unbelievably annoying thing that is an issue today...

a. Black people who think that being wealthy or living comfortably or being on TV and not using slang or dressing "fly" etc. makes you a "cornball" or "fake" black person

These people are in a way worse than racists, and I mean it. It's one thing to just be raised to where you are brainwashed to believe skin color has any say on "superiority" as a human. But to tell your own community that they have to be poor, or embrace violence or say F education or use the N word to truly be "black" is embarrassing and shameful. Bringing down your own people after decades of fighting to get out of poverty from the Reconstruction Era etc. It's why when people say "oh man that rapper sold out" I roll my eyes. Like wait, he shouldn't try to make money and leave poverty? Now, it may make his music worse as collateral damage but that's a completely different conversation.

And this isn't Rob Parker's point or statement it is just related to this thread and reminded me of the Jalen Rose when he was at Michigan comment to Grant Hill. Let RGIII be himself. Being black doesn't mean you have to wear a pin every day saying "Proud to be Black" and that goes for every minority.

RGIII isn't shying away, he's just trying to be known as RGIII. It is important and critical to understand the history of the country and segregation etc. but lest we all forget, you didn't "earn" being black or white or Asian or of European descent etc. it was a matter of chance so God forbid in every interview he doesn't hold it up as some sort of trophy. Embracing your roots is a good thing, but embracing and flaunting are two different things.

Where did you get this quote? Was it in the same interview? I didn't hear it on the video or see it in the transcript I found.

I was listening to Bomani Jones just now, and he said Parker said it.

If he didnt, I apologize, but I heard it from Bomani Jones on the Dan Lebatard radio show.

the irony is that this stems from RG3 saying he didnt want to be compared to Cam Newton, but instead guys like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. He was challenging the notion of comparing all black QBs to one another and said he wanted to see as just a QB.

This is what I have been saying for months about the stigma with black QBs in the media. Why dont we mention "black running backs" or "black wide receivers" or "black linebackers?" Its only black QBs that are separated. Its disgusting.

thats where Parker is basing this entire thing from. And outside of this, that guy is a complete idiot and has been for a while.

He said it during the full segment, I just heard at a couple of seconds ago.

And that pisses me off.

I am a college educated black man, but because I don't keep it real in the barbershop and I don't have braids, I am not a "real brother."

What the heck is a real brother anyway? When I think of a "real brother" I think of a dude, no matter the race, who takes cares of his business for his family, for his friends, and helps out other people when he can. A real brother wouldn't criticize somebody because the skin color of his wife, we wouldn't criticize the political party of someone else. A real brother would have recognized that black people are already looked at differently by some people and that it might not be the best thing to publicly critic another black person.

But that is just me. :whoknows:

I am done with this.....

He did say that pretty much word for word. It was hilarious because it was absurd.

On a side note the Family Fuy where Peter finds out he has a black ancestor is hysterical, making fun of all the stereotypes etc. (pre-cancellation Family Guy is awesome).

Hes getting a bunch of positive response via twitter.

I find it ridiculous in 2012 we even need to have this discussion about RG3. Sure, racist comments are great for ratings but its just such a non-factor in that overall interview that it is stupid they even brought it up and turned it into a link/eye baiting segment.

RG3 tried his best to avoid the question to get away from media firestorms about race, and in doing so he's questioned about hating his own race. Just ridiculous on so many levels. Even Stephen A. Smith couldn't handle listening to him spout his hatred and vitriol for no good reason.

Can we just start watching football players, as football players and not give a **** about what color their skin is unless its somehow actually affecting how they're treated. There have been some times when talking race and Black QBs is appropriate, with stereotypes, but the only person fulfilling stereotypical crap is Rob Parker today. Jemeel Hill actually had a good article on the "What Happened to the White Running Back" http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080926

Patterns emerge in sports, whether for good or bad reasons, but this just doesn't fall into that category. Nothing he said did anything to put down any part of his heritage as a black american. I guess I just don't get it other than see it as a way to act like shock-jocks for ratings.

I don't have a problem with people bringing up the "race card" in discussions because racism does still exist. I've been through it and I'm not naive enough to ignore it.

With that being said, this Parker guy made an absolute fool of himself. Personally, I knew what he was trying to say, BUT at the same time, nobody cares. That was an irrelevant conversation. It also showed that he has an "old-timey" way of thinking.

While Rob Parker can be an idiot, I can understand where he is coming from. I mean, Tiger Woods, whom EVERYONE knows is black, pretty much told Oprah that he wasnt black so I can totally understand Rob's position.

In this situation, Rob is wrong, I mean, the first thing RG3 said in his interview was "I'm a black man in American and thats never gonna change."

Also, him being republican isnt a big deal. Yes, black people (myself included) typically vote democrat, but most military people I know vote repluclican. Hell, when I was in the Marines, I voted republican.

I'm black. I usually lean republican (independent). I would gladly have Rob parker swallow some teeth for that, although violence is not the answer, plus he's got 80 lbs on me, and probably a foot. LOL

This 'down for the cause' bull is soooo 1960s. We need to grow up.

Archived