Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VIDEO: Rob Parker Questions RGIII "Is he a brother or is he a cornball brother?"

AVTizzle

Rob just posted this on his twitter:

I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry. I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one. Robert’s thoughts about being an African-American quarterback and the impact of his phenomenal success have been discussed in other media outlets, as well as among sports fans, particularly those in the African-American community. The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one. I regrettably introduced some points that I never should have and I completely understand the strong response to them, including ESPN’s reaction. Perhaps most importantly, the attention my words have brought to one of the best and brightest stars in all of sports is an unintended and troubling result. Robert Griffin III is a talented athlete who not only can do great things on the field, but off the field handles himself in a way we are all taught – with dignity, respect and pride. I’ve contacted his agent with hopes of apologizing to Robert directly. As I reflect on this and move forward, I will take the time to consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner.

I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry. I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one. Robert’s thoughts about being an African-American quarterback and the impact of his phenomenal success have been discussed in other media outlets, as well as among sports fans, particularly those in the African-American community. The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one. I regrettably introduced some points that I never should have and I completely understand the strong response to them, including ESPN’s reaction. Perhaps most importantly, the attention my words have brought to one of the best and brightest stars in all of sports is an unintended and troubling result. Robert Griffin III is a talented athlete who not only can do great things on the field, but off the field handles himself in a way we are all taught – with dignity, respect and pride. I’ve contacted his agent with hopes of apologizing to Robert directly. As I reflect on this and move forward, I will take the time to consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner.

he has quite a different tone than he did just a few days ago.

this should go in the owned thread

I believe the intended topic is a worthy one.

What a shmuck. His *intended* topic was actually whether RG3 conformed to Parker's screwball idea of what RG3 should be doing to promote Parker's twisted view on race in America. And now he's trying to snake his way out of that with this other baloney to save his paycheck. Jerk. Pretty pathetic if ESPN lets this sorry excuse for an 'apology' prevent the door from smacking his lying butt on the way out.

Rob Parker aside, this blogger discussed how much of a circus act First Take is (and why the plug should be pulled on it):

"First Take" is built on manufactured outrageousness, on commentators deliberately playing can-you-top-this with high-volume, low-substance opinion.

The problem for ESPN is, the stench from "First Take" guys like Parker and Skip Bayless lingers over the rest of the four-letter network. Earlier this week, Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch effectively documented the increasing disgust that other ESPN staffers feel with the circus-like atmosphere — manure and all — of "First Take" and similar debate shows.

"They don't say, '"First Take" said this or that,'" Deitsch quoted one staffer as saying. "It's, 'ESPN said this or that.' I don't wish to be lumped in with that nonsense."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/rob-parker-apologies-rgiii-cornball-brother-comments-shouldn-221103422--nfl.html

Rob Parker aside, this blogger discussed how much of a circus act First Take is (and why the plug should be pulled on it):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/rob-parker-apologies-rgiii-cornball-brother-comments-shouldn-221103422--nfl.html

I've been watching that show for a very long time. All the way back to it's first season in '05(when it was called Cold Pizza, and featured Dana Jacobson and Woody Paige as Skips opponent at the debate desk.) It was funny even then, and Skip said crazy **** even back then, but it was never a sideshow.

Even when Woody Paige retired, they would bring in differerent people daily to debate with Skip, they always had pretty level headed people on the show who would debate with him, and counter him with reasonable arguments. I think that all changed with the Tebow stuff, and Stephen A being brought on permanently.

At first I honestly thought they didn't like each other, but it became clear that they were just doing all of the shouting/name calling for the camera, and although it started off amusing, it started to get a little ridiculous, and (along with Tebow's success) furhter enabled Skip to start getting more and more outrageous, and then it spread out over multiple topics.

I still watch the show whenever it's on and I'm in the breakroom, or at home, but I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of it, because it definitely makes ESPN lose some credibility. At this point it's pretty much WWE, blurring the line between reality and shtick, causing them to cross the line when serious topics are discussed.

I've been watching that show for a very long time. All the way back to it's first season in '05(when it was called Cold Pizza, and featured Dana Jacobson and Woody Paige as Skips opponent at the debate desk.) It was funny even then, and Skip said crazy **** even back then, but it was never a sideshow.

Even when Woody Paige retired, they would bring in differerent people daily to debate with Skip, they always had pretty level headed people on the show who would debate with him, and counter him with reasonable arguments. I think that all changed with the Tebow stuff, and Stephen A being brought on permanently.

At first I honestly thought they didn't like each other, but it became clear that they were just doing all of the shouting/name calling for the camera, and although it started off amusing, it started to get a little ridiculous, and (along with Tebow's success) furhter enabled Skip to start getting more and more outrageous, and then it spread out over multiple topics.

I still watch the show whenever it's on and I'm in the breakroom, or at home, but I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of it, because it definitely makes ESPN lose some credibility. At this point it's pretty much WWE, blurring the line between reality and shtick, causing them to cross the line when serious topics are discussed.

I agree with your analysis for the most part. I liked the show much better with the rotating panelists opposite Skip. The show went off the rails when Stephen A came on full time. The thing about Stephen A isn't so much what he says but how he says it, in his bombastic, over the top manner. And paired with Skip they both just racheted their schtick up two notches.

I agree with your analysis for the most part. I liked the show much better with the rotating panelists opposite Skip. The show went off the rails when Stephen A came on full time. The thing about Stephen A isn't so much what he says but how he says it, in his bombastic, over the top manner. And paired with Skip they both just racheted their schtick up two notches.

Yeah, they're pretty much fire and gasoline. It can be hilarious, or it can be completely ridiculous

Ridiculous. I submitted a comment, but who knows if they'll actually let it post, so here it is:

What a sham. ESPN should be ashamed. Parker’s online conduct in the hours and days immediately following his horrifying comments made clear he regretted only not saying more about his twisted views on race. Has anybody at the network actually LOOKED at his Twitter account???? Pathetic. This non-apology makes clear he did not regret bashing a good man, only the particular words he used. Disgusting. In the end, ESPN condones racism.

Archived