Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VIDEO: Rob Parker Questions RGIII "Is he a brother or is he a cornball brother?"

AVTizzle

I love First Take, one of the few medium not afraid to attack race relation issues. Steven A. and Skip are great TV. Now, I went and watched to what the fuss was bout. Parker asked if RG3 was a brotha or a cornball brotha. What is a cornball brotha u may ask? Well, Parker goes on with Skip to tell the story of Tiger Woods who denied and even said it bothered him to be called black....because he in his mind he was not. This was apparently on Oprah. So, a 'cornball brotha' would be a black man who didn't identify themselves as being black and/ or was even embarrassed,ashamed,wished they weren't......etc. I think Parker took pause to RG3's answer to not being labeled as JUST a black QB and said his people in the DC area or someone informed him Mrs.Griffin was white and Robert was a republican. Everyone knows being black and republican is not something common in the black community these days and those republicans who are black(that i've seen) have shown themselves to not be supportive of the black reality in America. I think Parker was questioning if RGIII was like Allen West because RG# made no reference to those who have paved the way(Doug 17 Williams) in the interview.....

being labled a 'black qb' comes with an undertone of being a 'runner' . any black qb knows tHis And i think Rg3 made the statements with this in mind.

I'm just happy we haVe the kind of playEr that the world gets whineY over. jc maDe suspEct commeNts...crickeTs.

I love First Take, one of the few medium not afraid to attack race relation issues. Steven A. and Skip are great TV. Now, I went and watched to what the fuss was bout. Parker asked if RG3 was a brotha or a cornball brotha. What is a cornball brotha u may ask? Well, Parker goes on with Skip to tell the story of Tiger Woods who denied and even said it bothered him to be called black....because he in his mind he was not. This was apparently on Oprah. So, a 'cornball brotha' would be a black man who didn't identify themselves as being black and/ or was even embarrassed,ashamed,wished they weren't......etc. I think Parker took pause to RG3's answer to not being labeled as JUST a black QB and said his people in the DC area or someone informed him Mrs.Griffin was white and Robert was a republican. Everyone knows being black and republican is not something common in the black community these days and those republicans who are black(that i've seen) have shown themselves to not be supportive of the black reality in America. I think Parker was questioning if RGIII was like Allen West because RG# made no reference to those who have paved the way(Doug 17 Williams) in the interview.....

P

being labled a 'black qb' comes with an undertone of being a 'runner' . any black qb knows tHis And i think Rg3 made the statements with this in mind.

I'm just happy we haVe the kind of playEr that the world gets whineY over. jc maDe suspEct commeNts...crickeTs.

Ignorance is not only the province of Parker. It's an argument for other fora, though. If perchance RG3 comes out as a, gasp, Republican, would you join in calling him an uncle Tom?

I didn't have a D stamped on my ass when I was born. I'm not a lemming, and I won't follow anyone off a cliff blindly.

And anyone who calls me a Tom or says I'm brainwashed can GTH.

Ignorance is not only the province of Parker. This post is case in point. It's an argument for other fora, though. If perchance RG3 comes out as a, gasp, Republican, would you join in calling him an uncle Tom?

I didn't have a D stamped on my ass when I was born. I'm not a lemming, and I won't follow anyone off a cliff blindly.

And anyone who calls me a Tom or says I'm brainwashed can GTH.

I believe they are both equally worthless so it wouldn't matter to me but it seems in this day and age the Fox news guys are playing bad cop. Why would anyone call u a Tom? Are u black and hate black people?? Why are u brainwashed??

I believe they are both equally worthless so it wouldn't matter to me but it seems in this day and age the Fox news guys are playing bad cop. Why would anyone call u a Tom? Are u black and hate black people?? Why are u brainwashed??

No. I love all people. My wife, kids, closest loved ones are black, though. as am I.

I really hate this **** that Parker et al do. And to a man who should be an example to our youth, no less. All youth, for that matter.

Tom epithets should be relegated to the sixties, or seventies, with Shaft, bell bottoms, and disco. We all need to get past this.

The media becoming the story is one of the most annoying things in sports. This guy went after one of the most standup guys in the league just for publicity. ESPN is the worst.

ESPN has let First Take cross the line way too much. It's their version of Jerry Springer and they need to tone it down. I'm all for Skip and Stephen A. yelling at each other over legitimate sports arguments but this damn Tebow/RG3 mania is getting on everyone's nerves.

One of the problems I have with Stephen A is he speak with a fork tongue. He tries too often to play both sides of the fence.
I can't stand when he refers to DC as "Chocolate City". He always says it's ok for him to call it that because he has many friends and relatives there...WTF? How about just calling it DC, clown.

---------- Post added December-15th-2012 at 03:34 AM ----------

dude is a hack journalist who is only concerned a bout his celebrity. He stinks. And he barely knows anything about basketball.
Ok, here's where you're wrong. He definitely knows the NBA. He stinks at other sports, sure. I cringe everytime there is an NFL-related topic on First Take. Dude is clueless about football.

]Ok, here's where you're wrong. He definitely knows the NBA. He stinks at other sports, sure. I cringe everytime there is an NFL-related topic on First Take. Dude is clueless about football.

he doesnt. I have been listening and reading SAS work since the mid 90s.

If he knows anything about the game, he doesnt apply it to his media work.

I can't stand when he refers to DC as "Chocolate City". He always says it's ok for him to call it that because he has many friends and relatives there...WTF? How about just calling it DC, clown.

---------- Post added December-15th-2012 at 03:34 AM ----------

Ok, here's where you're wrong. He definitely knows the NBA. He stinks at other sports, sure. I cringe everytime there is an NFL-related topic on First Take. Dude is clueless about football.

lmfao, I remember when dude said Chocolate City like 10 times on one episode. "THEY LOVE HIM IN CHOCOLATE CITY" in reference to RG3

ESPN does do great things sometimes...their 30 for 30 documentaries are awesome. Every once in awhile they have a good Outside the Lines piece on espn.com, the new one about Roberto Clemente's bat was good.

First Take is garbage...agreed, it's their version of Jerry Springer. Sportscenter has become fairly crappy. Agree with the above poster...the worst is when media becomes a story.

Seems to me, people like Parker need to place labels on people so they can compartmentailze others, as if there is some generic response file in his brain's filing cabinet. "Ok, RG3 is a Brother, so I can say these 'such-n-such' things around or to him without worrying about how he takes it" or "RG3 is a 'cornball brother' so I have to be careful of the things I say around him".

I don't understand why people can't just be. Why does the color of my skin have to ever come into the conversation about anything? I didn't choose to be born with this pigment (or lack of), I didn't ask to have a flourescent skintone, I didn't petition for this.

I can understand questioning decisions I've made, choices I've made, directions I've gone. But to paste it to what color I am or am not & say that it had anything to do with it is just straight up ignorant & at this point, borders heavily on stupidity.

WOW...

That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Is this really an issue with some people?

I'm interested in hearing the rest of that and what Stephen A had to say about it.

“How are we going to get rid of racism? Stop talking about it!”

- Morgan Freeman

How can you stop talking about it when people face it everyday.

Archived