Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Polin & Steve Czban removed from ESPN980s Sports Reporters

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Thats some PC Bull ****!!

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 06:05 PM ----------

Anyone know what they said?

A dollar says it was probably not much.

Working in radio is like walking in a perpetual minefield.

~BaNG

They referred to the old, transgendered athlete as "it" instead of "he" or "she" on THURSDAY... Andy Polin on yesterday issued a public apology. Why it take an entire 5 days for 980 to address this "atrocity". :rolleyes:

Very, very stupid of them. They should know better as broadcasters, even if they are that ignorant and classless as people to call someone "It".

It's not the first time a transgender or intersex athlete has participated in a woman's sport, raising issues of what's fair based on prior physical development, or genetic advantages. It's not likely that they haven't been exposed to the subject as it was a hot topic recently at both the World Track & Field Championships and the Olympics with Caster Semenya. It's completely legitimate for a sports show to discuss what's fair, along with age eligibility for college sports, but they went for the cheapest and nastiest path they could

Agreed. It's one thing to discuss the issue and really I wouldn't even get upset at a joke or two considering how much Gabrielle Ludwig stands out in the pictures. She's very obviously a great deal older and larger than her teammates and vaguely resembles Liam Neeson, in my opinion.

c01-scov-05-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083

They crossed the line however by referring to her as "it". If you have a problem with transgender athletes that can be voiced without dehumanizing a person. Regardless of how you feel about Gabrielle Ludwig's choices or if transgender males should be considered female at all, they are people and should not be treated as a anything less.

The best show on ESPN 980 hands down is the Sports Fix. I used to hate it because of Thom Levero's voice, but now that is my man.

Agree 100%. Love that show. Love Loverro.

The best show on ESPN 980 hands down is the Tony Kornheiser show

Frequently refuses to sugarcoat the Wizards and other terrible teams in the region and frequently calls them out for being terrible or choke artists

"9-20"

Some may say he doesn't talk sports, but I don't really mind because he has a lot of interesting insight on a wide range of topics. A few days ago he bashed jazz as being too "hipster" :ols:

Who the hell is sugar coating the Wizards? They're a local AND national joke.

Thats some PC Bull<edit rule 6 violation quote---normally a week off>

They referred to the old, transgendered athlete as "it" instead of "he" or "she" on THURSDAY... Andy Polin on yesterday issued a public apology. Why it take an entire 5 days for 980 to address this "atrocity". :rolleyes:

Well, that is a bit much.

the apology should have been sufficient, but can't say i was terribly disappointed today,, i rarely drive any distances, and today had to come back from Tysons. (about a 2 hour trip) and was pleased to not hear those two clowns trying to find everything wrong that they can.

oh, and HOLY CRAP that picture.

I would think the other team would have a legit beef.

~Bang

Thats some PC Bull <edit>

Curious---are you being sarcastic or for real about the "bull****" and "atrocity" deal?

IOW, is it your opinion that people giving these broadcasters grief, or ESPN busting them over using the term "it", is inappropriate or "ridiculous" or "stupid?"

You can reply (if you want) after you return form your week off for the rule 6 violation (which you really should know better than committing by now). If you're genuine in your disturbance over "PC-ness", this may exacerbate it. :ols:

The pleasure-draining danger of too much respectful and considerate (or even “adult”) behavior is an ugly burden and looms ominously, yet we must all share its threat, I guess. :(

Opinion-wise, as I’ve posted before, mine is that one of the more stupid things in this forum and in society--is being actually "disturbed" by it ("PC-ness" itself). ;)

My attitude is more like **** any and all dotards so worried that there might be too much limitation on their stupid and assholio side that they have to whine about it. It's hardly some actual meaningfully repressive reality, except in the mind of idiots. :)

I make these comments (and the ban, which is simply standard for all such violations) within the fact that I consider authentic a great poster and an ES amigo.

OK, the real story is, I’m not giving the ban, because authentic’s record is clean other than minor sig violations, I just liked the moment of irony in the idea. :D :evilg:

But I do want you to edit your post to conform to the rule, amigo, and then I’ll do the same with my quote.

I am not afraid of offending anyone by incurring either their PC or anti-PC wrath, but the ban is often withheld when the dude‘s a solid poster and their user notes are fairly clean of past issues. Personally, I say/do all sorts of “non-PC” and “PC” things, I just don’t think there’s anything wrong with the idea of “PC” within any reasonable leeway (not exactly a well-defined turf) because while I say/do a lot of things, I’m not an idiot.

OK, the real story is, I’m not giving the ban, because authentic’s record is clean other than minor sig violations, I just liked the moment of irony in the idea. :D :evilg:

But I do want you to edit your post to conform to the rule, amigo, and then I’ll do the same with my quote.

I am not afraid of offending anyone by incurring either their PC or anti-PC wrath, but the ban is often withheld when the dude‘s a solid poster and their user notes are fairly clean of past issues. Personally, I say/do all sorts of “non-PC” and “PC” things, I just don’t think there’s anything wrong with the idea of “PC” within any reasonable leeway (not exactly a well-defined turf) because while I say/do a lot of things, I’m not an idiot.

my bad, i changed it about a good 10 minutes ago..

judge for yourselves..

Stopping at 1:18 (and noting I never listen to the show after years of reading on ES the crap czabe says and just knowing the turf of that kind of broadcasting---just like i don't watch soap operas but know what they're like) I would just round them up (and everyone like them, ideally) and silence them out of their sheer stupidity, which was so obvious and pervasive in just that short time, and totally separate from any actual issue re: the subject, and for catering to the stupidity of American audiences (hard to go wrong there, commercially, though).

What did they say?

They dehumanized someone because of their gender. Portrayed her as a freak, as "other".

As noted, I have no issue with them screaming from the roof tops their opinion that her participation in women's sport isn't fair. But calling someone "it"? **** them.

Agree 100%. Love that show. Love Loverro.

Who the hell is sugar coating the Wizards? They're a local AND national joke.

Kornheiser says that everyone in the papers and media talks about how they are improving or how they are good even though they suck

It's always humorous to see him go on those rants every time

Kornheiser says that everyone in the papers and media talks about how they are improving or how they are good even though they suck

It's always humorous to see him go on those rants every time

Well in this case Kornheiser is erecting a straw man. I haven't read or heard positive press for the Wizards in ages. Nobody believes in them and nobody thinks they are headed the right direction.

Care to elaborate?

Andy used to run a laundry/dry cleaning place in Arlington back in the 80's. My dad and his buddies lived in an apartment near this place so they'd always go down there to get laundry done and he'd be there with like, 15 TV's all tuned to sports rambling about how one day he was gonna get his own radio show. My dad and his friends apparently never believed he'd do it, but here he is today. Apparently studying sports on TV's all day paid off :silly:

That said, I do enjoy both of them on radio. Especially Czabe.

Well in this case Kornheiser is erecting a straw man. I haven't read or heard positive press for the Wizards in ages. Nobody believes in them and nobody thinks they are headed the right direction.

It probably is a straw man, but it's damn funny. All he does is bash the Wizards after they lose. It's pure comedy.

Archived