Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Polin & Steve Czban removed from ESPN980s Sports Reporters

OxonHillSkinsFan89

I bet he couldn't name 3 players on the Wizards.

That is part of his charm. He is an oblivious old man, but him crushing the Wizards is hilarious. His show is pretty entertaining, particularly because he does not beat the same dead-horse topic every segment. Almost every segment is about something different. I swear LaVar & Dukes only talk about the Redskins. Dukes is actually very good at radio if you let him talk about different things (Big O and Dukes was fantastic), but he can't be entertaining when you make him talk about the Redskins all day with LaVar.

They dehumanized someone because of their gender. Portrayed her as a freak, as "other".

As noted, I have no issue with them screaming from the roof tops their opinion that her participation in women's sport isn't fair. But calling someone "it"? **** them.

What's the proper word when a person isn't willing to accept a transgender man as female? I'm not sure "it" is much more offensive than "he" in this situation. And then "she" is obviously incorrect as well.

I couldn't be on radio: if i saw the 6'0 235pd largely ripped arm tattoo'd "lady" pretty sure the number is the age.

And the 13yr old looking girls around 'her' that come up to her neck, I would have called BS.

They wen't too far but so is the rule allowing 'Liam Neeson look alike' to destroy anyone qualified to play on the same team with 'her'.

I consider myself to be a rather progressive, understanding and non judgmental person but I have a hard time looking at "her" and accepting "her" as a her, if you know what I mean. Not sure where I fall on that. I'm all for people doing whatever they think they need to do to be happy but where do you draw the line? I'm not sure I agree with letting someone who was born a man and clearly has a man's body and strength play competitively in a woman's sports league. These two probably could've been a lot more, um, nice about the way they said it but are they that far off target? When Ray Lewis retires and starts taking hormones are we going to let "her" into the LFL?

sounds like the only person who really called her "it", was Czabe. Then Andy says "whatever it is"....but i don't necessarily think he meant "it" as in her. I think he may have meant "it" as in "whatever the situation may be". He continued to refer to her as she/he, which sounded to me like he was TRYING to be politically correct.

Outside of Czabe blatantly calling her "it", and saying he believed that was the politically correct term....the rest of it sounded ok to me really. A lot of joking going on and laughing during that segment...but what the hell it's a funny topic honestly. I don't think his words there in the final seconds were appropriate, so a lil time off might be the best thing here. I certainly don't think he should lose his job or anything though.

I consider myself to be a rather progressive, understanding and non judgmental person but I have a hard time looking at "her" and accepting "her" as a her, if you know what I mean. Not sure where I fall on that. I'm all for people doing whatever they think they need to do to be happy but where do you draw the line? I'm not sure I agree with letting someone who was born a man and clearly has a man's body and strength play competitively in a woman's sports league. These two probably could've been a lot more, um, nice about the way they said it but are they that far off target? When Ray Lewis retires and starts taking hormones are we going to let "her" into the LFL?

This is where I am on the subject.

A person should be free to do whatever it is he or she wants to do so long as it doesn't back up on other people. In this particular case you can't look at me with a straight face and well me that person does not have a serious competitive advantage over the other players.

Pollin and Czaban could have said so without getting in hot water but Czaban is incapable of using any form of tact, so their point is going to get lost.

I'm not sure I agree with letting someone who was born a man and clearly has a man's body and strength play competitively in a woman's sports league. These two probably could've been a lot more, um, nice about the way they said it but are they that far off target? When Ray Lewis retires and starts taking hormones are we going to let "her" into the LFL?

Exactly!! I find it impossible to look at this individual and say that this is a "woman". For me to do so, i would have to set aside all common sense, which i'm unwilling to do. But, you know what, i also believe in "Live & Let Live".

She is the correct term. "It" is pretty offensive.

"She" isn't the correct term either, as we're not talking about a woman are we? Just because a guy wants to be female doesn't make it so, and I don't think people should be forced to address them as such.

sounds like the only person who really called her "it", was Czabe. Then Andy says "whatever it is"....but i don't necessarily think he meant "it" as in her. I think he may have meant "it" as in "whatever the situation may be". He continued to refer to her as she/he, which sounded to me like he was TRYING to be politically correct.

Outside of Czabe blatantly calling her "it", and saying he believed that was the politically correct term....the rest of it sounded ok to me really. A lot of joking going on and laughing during that segment...but what the hell it's a funny topic honestly. I don't think his words there in the final seconds were appropriate, so a lil time off might be the best thing here. I certainly don't think he should lose his job or anything though.

I don't think what any of them said was malicious at all. But i suppose "malicious" is in the eyes of the beholder. IDK..

I don't think what any of them said was malicious at all. But i suppose "malicious" is in the eyes of the beholder. IDK..

The only reason it was deemed offensive by management was because a pretty big organization (even though I wonder how much impact they'd really have) was offended and called for their suspension. If a lone person did something equally as wacky, and was made fun of on the air no one would say a thing. People should be able to voice their opinion without constant fear of getting kicked off the air.

The whole transgender thing is very confusing. When somebody is referred to as a "transgender male", I have no idea if they mean the person was a male, or became a male, and vice-versa. Also, the whole he/she thing only complicates it. At what point do we stop calling a transgender person the gender they were born as? As soon as they decide? As soon as their appearance more closely resembles their new sex? After surgery? It's bewildering, and I don't blame people for not being PC about it, since it's hard to know what is PC.

I'm pretty sure 'it' is not PC. And I'm pretty sure Czaban knew it. And I'm pretty sure he was being an obnoxious ass about it.

That said, I've actually written to Czaban before for saying something stupid, and he was very gracious in his response. I have no problem with these guys getting called on saying rude stuff. I don't think that necessarily means it should cost them their jobs. That's pretty drastic.

Above all else, i think this is where the backlash is coming from. The punishment doesn't fit the "crime".

For all we know this could have just been one act of many that contributed towards a suspension. We really have no idea what their company "file" has in it.

"She" isn't the correct term either, as we're not talking about a woman are we? Just because a guy wants to be female doesn't make it so, and I don't think people should be forced to address them as such.

Well they should be "forced" not to address that person as an "it". They were not removed because they disagreed with the person or the issue at hand, they were rightfully removed for demeaning the person and others like her as an "it".

If you don't get that, sucks to be you.

Well they should be "forced" not to address that person as an "it". They were not removed because they disagreed with the person or the issue at hand, they were rightfully removed for demeaning the person and others like her as an "it".

If you don't get that, sucks to be you.

I totally get it. People aren't allowed to have their own opinions without having someone cry about it and try to get them in trouble. It's very common these days.

judge for yourselves..

Looks like it made national news:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/gabrielle-ludwig-transgender-basketball-mocked-espn-radio_n_2276979.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2012/12/10/gabrielle-ludwig-espn-radio-college-basketball-/1759735/

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/12/11/sports-commentary-and-the-gabrielle-ludwig-story/

Chris Knoche in the background joining in, I wonder if he will get a suspension from UMD Sports?

I think I may be in the minority, but I think the Sports Reporters is the best show on 980, they're knowledge is some of the best I heard on any sports show. Tony K is not bad, but anything was better than John Thompson's mind numbing sleep fest (thank god it's over with).

Archived