Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 now #1 rated passer in the NFL

Rypien1191

I'm a huge RG3 fan but without a reliable running attack, his best attributes as a QB would be neutralized in my opinion. With that being said... Alfred Morris is my ROTY sleeper pick. If "Bam-Bam" Morris ends up leading the league in rushing AND... we end up in the playoffs, I think RG3 is right. How in the world could voters overlook Morris?

Is anybody else very confused as to how Brady only has the same rating as RG3? He has 900 more yards, the same completion %, same number of INTs, and 10 more TDs. Does yards per pass mean that much? I love seeing our QB at the top though.

Bradys completion percentage is a full 2 points lower (66.4 vs 64.4) I don't know how the whole QBR system works, but Bradys numbers seem pretty damn impressive. I also love seeing Mr. Griffin at the top!

Is anybody else very confused as to how Brady only has the same rating as RG3? He has 900 more yards, the same completion %, same number of INTs, and 10 more TDs. Does yards per pass mean that much? I love seeing our QB at the top though.

Everything on the QB rating scale is based on a per-pass-attempt basis. So the 900 extra yards and 10 extra TDs means they probably have pretty similar YPA, and TD/attempt numbers (or maybe RG3 is slightly better in those categories). But Brady has to have a lower INT/attempt rate since he has the same number of INTs over less attempts.

Everything on the QB rating scale is based on a per-pass-attempt basis. So the 900 extra yards and 10 extra TDs means they probably have pretty similar YPA, and TD/attempt numbers (or maybe RG3 is slightly better in those categories). But Brady has to have a lower INT/attempt rate since he has the same number of INTs over less attempts.

I guess that's the good thing about ESPN's QBR thing. I still think it's kind of dumb (and I don't totally understand it- I don't think anybody does). People keep pointing to it as a reason for Luck having a better season than RG3, but where I come from leading the league in interceptions can't be swept under the rug with fancy statistics. I like what it tries to do though. Ultimately QBs are best judged by watching them and forming a subjective opinion.

That list is BS. Alex Smith is rated #2.

Remember when you said this? I do!

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?370262-ESPN-Dallas-Hot-Button-Poll-RGIII-vs.-Romo sits to pee&p=9145572#post9145572

For the future, RG3. Hands down.

Romo sits to pee still has gas in the tank, so I'd take him for the next 5. Beyond that, I would probably take RG3.

Groundbreaking analysis, there. You'd take RG3 for the future, because in five years Romo sits to pee will be collecting social security... Seems like someone just likes to hate ;)

playerhatingball.jpg

Did ESPN purposely name this QBR thing so similar to the original "QB rating" to give it legitimacy to those who can't tell the difference between the two names?

Yes, to distract those who would notice that Cousins has a higher QB rating. (Ssssshhhh please keep that quiet, this board has been known to overreact)

I'm a huge RG3 fan but without a reliable running attack, his best attributes as a QB would be neutralized in my opinion. With that being said... Alfred Morris is my ROTY sleeper pick. If "Bam-Bam" Morris ends up leading the league in rushing AND... we end up in the playoffs, I think RG3 is right. How in the world could voters overlook Morris?

Neutralized is the wrong word and too severe IMO, more like diminished. RGIII has proven he has a gun, that would not be completely lost without a back like Morris.

RG3 should win ROTY and IMO he had the best year so far, with Wilson being 2, then Luck. But the Colts as a team is doing better and have exceeded their expectations the most, and that has a lot to do with Luck.

What that actually says to me, especially in light of Luck's performance, is that the Colts' truly were tanking it last year. Clearly, if they have a good enough O and D to overcome that many turnovers then they were not a 2 win team last year. They made a conscious effort to lose in order to try to get the next Peyton, Elway, etc.

What that actually says to me, especially in light of Luck's performance, is that the Colts' truly were tanking it last year. Clearly, if they have a good enough O and D to overcome that many turnovers then they were not a 2 win team last year. They made a conscious effort to lose in order to try to get the next Peyton, Elway, etc.

Time to put on my tinfoil hat and try out a new theory:

People say "If it was a planned tank, why did Polian and Caldwell get fired?"

Well, Caldwell was a sucky coach, so that's one thing. But as for Polian?

Yes the Colts were tanking.

However, there was a difference in opinion, a misunderstanding of why.

You see, Jim Irsay was tanking for Andrew Luck, we got that. But people retort, "If the team was tanking, why did Polian get fired?" Maybe because Polian had a difference in opinion as to what to do with that #1 draft pick.

Now here's the kicker - maybe Irsay's plan was "Suck for Luck" - but Polian, after watching a few games, decided the plan needed to be changed...to "Godawful for Griffin"

So Irsay wants Luck, Polian wants RGIII. We know who's going to win that one.

(not really serious, this is pure 100% proof speculation, but it literally just popped into my mind)

Just remember that during the offseason, the three insiders on Twitter were talking about how Shanny was going to turn over the receiving corps because he wasn't happy with the YAC.

As for those saying is all he does is throw screens or short, you are way wrong. He throws a lot of 10-15 yard passes over the middle and has a beautiful deep ball.

Speaking of deep balls, if Moss hangs onto that absolute beauty that traveled 70 yards in the air ... I haven't seen a replay, I was at the game, and it took place almost right in front of me, but on the opposite side of the field. Looked like a tough catch, but catchable.

Firing them was simply camoflage. People say, "Couldn't be a tank job... why the coach and gm fall on the sword," but if you look at the talent level on that Colts' team then and now and the level of effort they exhibited through the first ten games. Now, if you look at how they are winning despite a qb who makes god-awful mistakes and can barely complete 55% of his passes.... Well then, unless you have a stuffed nose you know it stinks in Denmark.

This was a Superbowl zero team two years ago. Were they really the worst team in the NFL and very nearly a zero win team with no talent at any position sans Manning? I think not.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 08:47 AM ----------

Speaking of deep balls, if Moss hangs onto that absolute beauty that traveled 70 yards in the air ... I haven't seen a replay, I was at the game, and it took place almost right in front of me, but on the opposite side of the field. Looked like a tough catch, but catchable.

It was very catchable. Wound up bouncing off his chest in stride. The defender may have made it tougher for Moss to locate it, but it should have been caught.

Well, Caldwell was a sucky coach, so that's one thing. But as for Polian?

Yes the Colts were tanking.

However, there was a difference in opinion, a misunderstanding of why.

You see, Jim Irsay was tanking for Andrew Luck, we got that. But people retort, "If the team was tanking, why did Polian get fired?" Maybe because Polian had a difference in opinion as to what to do with that #1 draft pick.

Now here's the kicker - maybe Irsay's plan was "Suck for Luck" - but Polian, after watching a few games, decided the plan needed to be changed...to "Godawful for Griffin"

So Irsay wants Luck, Polian wants RGIII. We know who's going to win that one.

(not really serious, this is pure 100% proof speculation, but it literally just popped into my mind)

I actually think that some of the stuff you're saying is true, but some parts are not. It was reported that there was a disagreement between Polian and Irsay. The thing is, they could have sucked for luck or griffin. With the #1, who cares? And Pollian was fired right after the season, so, there was plenty of time to debate internally Griff or Luck. They could choose either.

I think it was Peyton or Luck. I think that Pollian actually hadn't given up on Peyton, and I heard some reports of that. So he might have tried to make the blockbuster move of the century, and trade the #1 and Luck to whoever, and pick up at least 3 ADDITIONAL #1s, probably a 2 and 3, and really start to re-stock the shelves.

And nobody could convince me that the Colts this year, with exactly the same cast, wouldn't be just as good with Mr. Manning under center as Mr. Luck. They'd be 9-4 or possibly better, with their suck-ass schedule.

It was very catchable. Wound up bouncing off his chest in stride. The defender may have made it tougher for Moss to locate it, but it should have been caught.

Not quite his chest, if I recall correctly. It was up near his back shoulder and Moss was somewhat in flight when the ball got there. It hit his hands, but in an odd position. Moss absolutely should have caught it, but it was a difficult catch. But still, a beautiful ball. Griffin put it right where it needed to be.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 08:54 AM ----------

And nobody could convince me that the Colts this year, with exactly the same cast, wouldn't be just as good with Mr. Manning under center as Mr. Luck. They'd be 9-4 or possibly better, with their suck-ass schedule.

As good as I think Luck is, and how freakin' good he's going to be I think they made the right move for the long term. But with Manning under center, this year, they'd be better than 9-4. Manning is on a whole other level.

Because the only statistic that matters at the end of the day is the Win/Loss column. He has led his team to a 9-4 record and unless they blow it down the stretch, the playoffs. I just looked and unless they lose out and the Bengals/Jets win out, they should make it. Going 1-2 should get them in unless the Bengals win out, then it would go to tie-breaker scenarios and Im not a fan of the Colts so Im not even gonna figure that out.

Sports analyst for every venue also stated that RGIII should have the better year only because our team was in better shape than the rebuilding Colts, which appeared to be the case. You are looking at a team that lost its first 13 games before they squeeked out two wins in a row and a season finale loss. Even with only 5 wins last season, our team was not nearly as bad as the Colts.

Then, they blew up the team. Coaching staff, GM, players, etc. making a comittment to rebuilding around Luck. Who are his weapons? Reggie Wayne is the only true superstar leftover. We stole Garcon from them, imagine him having Garcon to throw too as well. They are weak at RB and TE. His play is making other average players (at least they look average to me) better and he's making plays to win ball games. The Colts shouldnt even be where they are and you can blame it on "cream puff schedule" if y'all want to, but bottom line, the kids flat out balling. Sure they got beat bad by the Bears and Pats, but they did beat Green Bay and Minnesota (both signature wins). They weren't even supposed to be able to compete and they are winning ballgames.

With all that said, RGIII is having a flat out record breaking/awesome year and he makes our team better too. But, we dropped games we should have won to teams we should have beaten, thus the 7-6 record and on the outside looking in for the playoffs. I wanted RG3 drafted over Luck, period, and we got him and Ive never been happier. I fell in love with the kid for how mature, poised, and diciplined he was first over his obvious athletic ability. He is more exciting to watch and I think we have a bright future with him taking snaps under center. RG3 is having the better season statisically, but again, its a team sport and Luck has his team winning more games and they actually control their own destiny right now, we don't. People were actually picking us to go 8-8 or 9-7 and have a wild card shot. We are not in rebuilding mode like the Colts are. We are injury riden on defense which hurts us greatly and RGIII has to put everything on his shoulders and he is. If we had a 9-4 record right now, I dont think anyone would be saying anything about Luck having the better year.

Both QBs are awesome and class acts, cant we just enjoy watching both of them? I mean, honestly, at the end of the day how Andrew Luck performs or who loves him, etc. doesn't really matter or effect our franchise unless we are playing them, which we aren't. I think people get more hyped up than they should and feel like they have to compare both QBs against each other just because they got drafted 1 and 2 overall. Stupid if you ask me, it would be different say if Dallas, NYG, or Philly had the #1 pick and drafted Luck and we drafted RG3 at #2, cause it would be to a rival team and they actually would play each other 2 times a year. Indy means nothing to us.

At a point, this kind of analysis is like splitting hairs or threading a needle... very hard to accomplish anything without a lot of effort. You make great points. Winning is most important. No doubt... However, its hard to overlook the fact that Indy basically tanked the season last year to get Luck and a by product of that effort was the easiest schedule this season. I hate making excuses for Indy's success but these are real factors. Indy also blew up their team and probably made a pretty wise decison not to overpay Garcon like we had to to get him here. Indy picked up some extra draft picks by trading away a few veterans as well. Do you think Indy would be in the playoff hunt if their schedule wasn't as easy as its been this season and if they hadn't thrown last season away to get luck? Luck has put up some big numbers but that has a lot to do with the fact that Indy is in arguably the worst division in the NFL this season. Houston has a pretty good defense, in spite of them not showing up last night against NE but come on... I wish we had Jacksonville and Tennessee twice a season each instead of Dallas and NY. Strength of schedule is definitely a very relevent factor in this discussion.

Right now RG3 has a better QB rating and ESPN QBR than Luck. Beyond that the Redskins schedule is ridiculously hard compared to the Colts, and the Redskins 7-6 record has come with little to no help from the defensive side of the football. I can't say the same about the Colts 9-4 record.

I think RG3 is rookie of the year right now by all objective measures. And I'm not a total homer in these things-- I was the one Orioles' fan who actually thought that Bob Melvin deserved Manager of the Year over Buck Showalter.

That said, I'm sick of the Luck vs RG3 comparisons. They've both played 13 games and have mostly appeared brilliant, while on rare occasions, looked like rookies. Luck's numbers are comparable (and actually somewhat better) than Peyton Manning's first season in Indy, and I expect big things out of him over the years. I just think that including him in the rookie of the year conversation is a huge stretch, and the people pushing that story are doing it just to appear contrarian.

Luck's numbers are comparable (and actually somewhat better) than Peyton Manning's first season in Indy, and I expect big things out of him over the years. I just think that including him in the rookie of the year conversation is a huge stretch, and the people pushing that story are doing it just to appear contrarian.

Are they actually better? I mean, in terms of QB rating, completion percentage, schedule strength (not in his control, I know, but the Colts that year had a pretty touch sked) and YPA?

I'm glad we were still able to get our legit franchise QB.

Here's to hoping he's able to stay healthy...

Are they actually better? I mean, in terms of QB rating, completion percentage, schedule strength (not in his control, I know, but the Colts that year had a pretty touch sked) and YPA?

Manning's first season was 56.7% completions, 6.5 YPA, 26 TDs, 28 INTs in 575 attempts -- a traditional QB rating of 71.2

Luck so far this year is 54.9% completions, 7.1 YPA, 18 TDs, 18 INTs, in 537 attempts -- a traditional QB rating of 74.5

So yeah, I probably overstated a little when I said he's been better (mostly because I keyed in on the interceptions), I'd say they were comparable though. I'm not sure about SOS.

Right now RG3 has a better QB rating and ESPN QBR than Luck. Beyond that the Redskins schedule is ridiculously hard compared to the Colts, and the Redskins 7-6 record has come with little to no help from the defensive side of the football. I can't say the same about the Colts 9-4 record.

I think RG3 is rookie of the year right now by all objective measures. And I'm not a total homer in these things-- I was the one Orioles' fan who actually thought that Bob Melvin deserved Manager of the Year over Buck Showalter.

That said, I'm sick of the Luck vs RG3 comparisons. They've both played 13 games and have mostly appeared brilliant, while on rare occasions, looked like rookies. Luck's numbers are comparable (and actually somewhat better) than Peyton Manning's first season in Indy, and I expect big things out of him over the years. I just think that including him in the rookie of the year conversation is a huge stretch, and the people pushing that story are doing it just to appear contrarian.

RG3 will be the runaway ROTY after Luck and the Colts get smoked by the Texans twice in the next 3 weeks.

At a point, this kind of analysis is like splitting hairs or threading a needle... very hard to accomplish anything without a lot of effort. You make great points. Winning is most important. No doubt... However, its hard to overlook the fact that Indy basically tanked the season last year to get Luck and a by product of that effort was the easiest schedule this season. I hate making excuses for Indy's success but these are real factors. Indy also blew up their team and probably made a pretty wise decison not to overpay Garcon like we had to to get him here. Indy picked up some extra draft picks by trading away a few veterans as well. Do you think Indy would be in the playoff hunt if their schedule wasn't as easy as its been this season and if they hadn't thrown last season away to get luck? Luck has put up some big numbers but that has a lot to do with the fact that Indy is in arguably the worst division in the NFL this season. Houston has a pretty good defense, in spite of them not showing up last night against NE but come on... I wish we had Jacksonville and Tennessee twice a season each instead of Dallas and NY. Strength of schedule is definitely a very relevent factor in this discussion.

Your also replacing the worst qb play in the league with a guy the team believes in. They are also playing for chuck pagano, this teams spirit and morale is a complete 180 and this sport is so competitive if your spirit, mind, and morale isn't good you will lose.. Consistently. Peo

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 10:34 AM ----------

Your also replacing the worst qb play in the league with a guy the team believes in. They are also playing for chuck pagano, this teams spirit and morale is a complete 180 and this sport is so competitive if your spirit, mind, and morale isn't good you will lose.. Consistently. People want to point to a talent difference.. I would agree but out schedule and division is tougher so that makes up in part and also we have injured take away Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen and luck would struggle even more. I have never seen a player of any position receive so much credit while performing at a below average pace (by nfl statistical standards ) it's like a corner that gets tourched all game then comes up with a game changing pick late in the fourth quarter

Archived