Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Ravens overachieving paper tigers?

TheItalianStallion

Ravens' team rankings for the season thus far.......

Total offense (yardage): 19th

Rushing: 23rd

Passing: 15th

Scoring: 9th

Total defense: 25th

Rushing: 23rd

Passing: 23rd

Scoring: 8th

Turovers forced: T-6th (ATL)

Despite their pedestrian at best yardage totals in all facets of the game, they've managed to be 9-3. Obviously the reason for that is their scoring total on both sides of the ball. What's curious is why there's such a large disconnect between yardage and points for them.

http://www.nfl/com/schedules/2012/REG/Ravens

Taking a peek at their schedule, the final point totals their opponents have scored seem to indicate that the Ravens are forcing them to settle for lots of FGs. They are also forcing turnovers, which results in NO points allowed and good field position for the offense.

Regardless of stats, they find ways to win games, which automatically makes them a good team. What I'm wondering is how good they actually are, and whether this trend will be sustainable for the rest of the season and the postseason. They squeaked by in their 1st meeting with Pittsburg, who had an injured backup as their QB, took a classic Norv choke to eek out SD, and lost to a 3rd string QB last week.

I think the keys for us are clear: we need to take care of the ball, come away with TDs, and hope that our secondary doesn't have another meltdown. If our D plays like it did in the 2nd half of last night's game and RG3 continues to play well, I think we have a very good shot at winning this game.

they are certainly beatable. i do agree that if we can convert in the red zone and limit turnovers, we should come away with the win. the ravens aren't as good on the road as they are at home. on the road, they only average 16.5 ppg. our defense has been improving the last 3 games so we should be able to keep them around that i would imagine.

The Ravens have the white rabbit foot around their necks. They get a lot of calls going for them that they shouldn't and they have for years. They just have that team that has the breaks go their way time after time. Look at the last 3 games and look at who they have played. They barely beat Byron Leftwich, they took out the lowly Chargers with help from a horrible spot from the refs, and last Sunday Charlie Batch beat them. Everyone and their mother can run on that defense of theirs and the O that they have is looking more stagnant with each game. I say this is the true coming out party for the Skins in this game. You can also go back earlier in the season as well. They lost to the Eagles. Yes the Eagles. They beat the Patriots with help from the scrub officials. They only beat the Cowboys by once again horrible officiating in the final 2 minutes of the game. They put up a whopping 9 points against the Chiefs. The CHIEFS! If we have any semblance of what we have done in the past 3 weeks we win this running away.

The Ravens are always overachieving. For years it was defense only. Now it's offense.. mostly. That's the mark of a good organization. However, I think they're just achieving right now.

They have the fire and desire to turn it up a notch. Maybe we're discovering our fire and developing our desire.

interesting breakdown, stallion.

the ravens have given up 29-43 points vs the good offensive teams they have faced (30 pats, 29 dallas, 43 houston). all the other teams they have played dont appear to be juggernauts offensively. (cle, sd, kc, pitt w/o big ben, oak).

looks like they can be scored upon, especially on the road.

I honestly see a game similar to the Eagles game. I expect us to come out firing on all cylinders and putting the Ratbirds in a hole early. Then just letting AlMo and Young carry the load for the rest of the game. 31-13 final is what I'm thinking. Our D sucks, but man the Ravens although being 9-3 aren't as good as their record indicates. Flacco is way too inconsistent, and if you shut down their run game early and force Flacco to pass, he makes hella bad reads.

Maybe I'm blinded by my hatred for the franchise, but I havent came away impressed with many of the Ravens games this season. The only impressive games have been their destruction of the Bengals at home in week one and their thumping of the woeful Raiders. The more I watch Flacco, the more I'm convinced he isnt much more than a middle of the road quarterback. The guys on the offense that really worry me are Rice and Smith. We seem to struggle with speed receivers and Torrey has a lot of it. And obviopusly Reed is a worry on the defensive side. I can see this being a 27-23 Skins type of game.

They are beat up defensively and without three of their best players (Lews, T. Sizzle, and Webb). Though I read that Suggs isn't completely ruled out for this game. I'm more worried about Ray Rice and Jacoby Jones.

Their D is also very physical. D line is still good and they are fast. I can see us struggling like we did against the Steelers.

The Ravens are doing what Shanny always talks about, finding a way to win, ugly or not. We did that last night, finally, so either we can truly close games out now, or we have to be up 2 scores toward the end. I'd feel better if we're up 2 scores late, but I can see Alfred closing the game out in similar fashion if necessary.

their record looks scary, but they've been hanging on to close ones to win. Which is scary too, really. Should be tough/close game. After only 1 TD pass, RG3 very well could blow the game up early though.

Interesting game. Looking at the splits their losses come when their passing game is horrible. I doubt the skins pass defense is going to stop them. The good news is they are horrible against the run and we run very well. Thy have really stopped a good offense from scoring either other than the bengals in week one.

This Ravens defence is not what it was and it took another hit with Suggs tearing his biceps. They have actually got better since Ray Lewis went down - but he was someone who was playing on reputation for a year or two IMO. They can be run on and there will be opportunities in the passing game as well. What they do well is create turnovers and get pressure in key situations - they make you kick field goals and create some short fields for their offense.

When they have the ball Rice is an excellent back and they run it well. Boldin is a beast at receiver - he is not fast but he just physically man handles DBs and uses his body well to box off defenders even down the field. Flacco is an interesting QB, kind of a poor mans Eli Manning IMO. He has a big arm, can move around just enough to avoid some pressure and has a good pocket presence. When he is on he can be very good indeed. However if he gets off to a slow start he suddenly looks like a rookie free agent - and this year on the road for some reason there has been more bad Flacco than good.

The Ravens are still a very good team but they are very beatable. I can see a very tight game just like the Giants game which will come down to turnovers and who can control the ball in the 4th quarter.

I think their record is definitely bloated a little, however what worries me more about them overall is that they have a lot of veterans on the team who are savvy and that might not look so impressive on paper anymore, but will sneak in to cause some turnovers and get into the heads of younger players.

I don't want to be involved in a 13-10 type of game with the Ravens.

They have an elite QB in Flacco with his uni brow.

Not sure if you are being serious but I dont consider Flacco an elite QB. He can be very good on his day but he has far too many off days.

---------- Post added December-5th-2012 at 03:48 AM ----------

I don't want to be involved in a 13-10 type of game with the Ravens.

I dont think it will be a 13-10 type game. Our offense is too good and our defense not good enough for that - I can see it being a 21-24 type game though.

People were concerned about Eli, Nicks, and Cruz...but they aren't concerned about Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Pitta, and Torrey Smith?

I'm not kissing up to the Ravens, but they have a good team. I wouldn't be surprised if we win, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got our asses kicked either. I do understand the OP, and I agree that they are beat up and this is not one of their best squads. But we will need to play really well to win.

what is the verdict on Terrell Suggs? He is their London Fletcher as far as I am concerned. If he doesn't play it will be a huge plus for us.

Also have they even seen an offense such as our? Their run D is not very good right now, it will be very interesting to see how they defend Morris and RGIII with the pistol formation. To they bit hard on play action? Don't know but if you see the Boys game with us, that is what got them, they bit so hard on RGIIIs play action he shredded them. This game can go either way.

Archived