Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Insider: Redskins claim LB Bryan Kehl off waivers

flexxskins

Ahhh, gotcha' dg. Thank you.

All that said though, we could do with a top end starting caliber talent to add to that group. Even more so with Fletch on the downside of his great career.

Surely if a guy comes in, gives his full commitment and improves the group/ team through his talent; his teammates have to see that as a good thing? Even taking into account the ego of the average pro football player.

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 09:19 PM ----------

I don't disagree. But at the same time... are we picking up Bryan Kehl if these guys are ready to start?

London Fletcher said today that his status is "year to year." If the talent is there... you make him compete. I wouldn't cut any of our LBs right now (save for Addison, who is already gone). Even Wilson offers something to teams and morale. But I'd certainly cut Banks and let the best man win.

In both positions, inside and out, we have what, 'Rak, Ryan and Riley as long term starters. Robinson may or may not turn into a starter. Maybe he'll be quality depth. And Jackson's just that. Quality depth you know you have in reserve. But you wouldn't want him out there over 16 games. Then, with Fletch and the one man band getting no younger, your struggling for the LB group.

Hail.

Not only that GHH, and we all love fletch... but I saw it on twitter this evening that he leads the NFL in yards given up to a TE... over 400 yards

I'd seriously be looking to integrate the guy, be it Keenan or whomever, that you look at as Riley's long term partner from next year.

If that means Fletcher leaving, so be it. Love the dude, but you can't have sentiment in football or else you are on the slippery slope.

Hail.

I actually liked McClain a lot as coming out of college and I wouldn't mind him on the team. I just worry about the message it sends signing a player with 1st round pedigree our LB unit. Does his status automatically vault him ahead of the players we have? Does his play warrant it? Will he be content with a lesser maybe even back-up/special teammer role? Will he demand playing time and become a difficult or malcontent?

Then there is the off the field stuff, which who knows how much of it is true or not but where there's smoke.....

All good points dg, and you'd have to do your due diligence and talk to his former coaches et all to know what his character is.

As for him playing or not, the simple answer is NO player, regardless of status, should be guaranteed a starting spot if it's not earned on a consistent basis. We shouldn't be signing anyone with a guarantee that they'll play regardless.

Hail.

Glad to hear we got Kehl...great timing Romeo...see you this off season (wink, wink).

On McClain...

I mean, yeah, he pointed a loaded gun to guy's a head ....and yeah, he shot the gun (but it wasn't pointed at anyone). Sort of what I expect from a Raider! :silly:

But seriously, we have taken a few other "flyers" this year and we do have a need....wouldn't bother me much to take a chance on turning him around.

Hail!

-GHH

I like our guys. I think Fletch's slip in production this year is due more to being banged up early then to age alone. He was really flying around again in the Eagles/Cowboys game. I know he's not the Fletch of old but I would welcome him back next year as a starter and mentor for all the LBs. I really liked Kehl from pre-season and can see him fill the role of ILB/OLB depth that Alexander fills now.

I also think Rob Jackson has played better then he gets credit for; he's has a natural insticnt in coverage that imo our other OLB lack and he's made game changing plays in coverage. I suspect he'll get better as he gets more comfortable (i think the rotation w/ Chris Wilson hurt his pass rush opportunities). Keenan seems like a great fit for our defense and scheme going forward and I think he could develop into a solid starter. If we keep drafting and developing LBs imo we have the makings of a solid unit.

I think McClain is a great talent but I worry about his off the field questions and I would be very hesitant to disrupt the unit they're trying to building to gamble on him.

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

At the same time I agree that if he worked out it would be a great find. But that's an huge IF in my book.

Sounds like an average practice in Oakland.

Hail.

something like this I'd imagine...

If in fact that was the only reason... I applaud Oakland for changing the culture. But if he slips through... we need Eric Shaffer or Bruce sitting in his driveway waiting to fly him up.

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 10:00 PM ----------

-GHH

I like our guys. I think Fletch's slip in production this year is due more to being banged up early then to age alone. He was really flying around again in the Eagles/Cowboys game. I know he's not the Fletch of old but I would welcome him back next year as a starter and mentor for all the LBs.

I truly think that this is London's last year... there's nothing wrong with that. He's been fantastic. But father time is undefeated.

Reuben Frank ‏@RoobCSN

As for LB Rolondo McClain, I'm told Eagles are doing their due diligence, looking at film tonight. He has not officially been waived yet.

that's a crowded linebacking corps in the middle all of a sudden. Casey Matthews, Mychal Kendricks, Demeco Ryan, and Rolando McClain? Someone would have to go. Maybe in the secondary?

Reuben Frank ‏@RoobCSN

As for LB Rolondo McClain, I'm told Eagles are doing their due diligence, looking at film tonight. He has not officially been waived yet.

He'd be jumping ship right into a sinking one. After paying Ryans and drafting Kendricks I can't see why they'd do it.

Then again, the Eagles do a lot of silly things.

I actually liked McClain a lot as coming out of college and I wouldn't mind him on the team. I just worry about the message it sends signing a player with 1st round pedigree our LB unit. Does his status automatically vault him ahead of the players we have? Does his play warrant it? Will he be content with a lesser maybe even back-up/special teammer role? Will he demand playing time and become a difficult or malcontent?

Then there is the off the field stuff, which who knows how much of it is true or not but where there's smoke.....

I think if there is one thing we can be sure of it is that Shanahan won't start somebody just based off their pedigree. If he is starting ahead of anybody, it is because he is better and has earned it.

If we can bring him in for cheap, maybe he improves the depth of the unit as he gets comfortable in our defense. If so, perhaps he is the starter next year for Fletcher which would be a fantastic pickup in that case given his talent, age and potential upside. If not, hopefully, he isn't too expensive and we can part ways.

I would be all for this move and I think it would be a big bonus to strengthen our LB corp both this year and going into next year if he sticks around.

Also, I agree with your concern about chemistry etc, but this is a business. These guys have all worked hard and as long as Rolando earns his playing time on the field I think the team will respect that and get behind him. There are enough leaders on defense to not let something like this be an issue, these guys are Pros, if you can improve, you do it and they understand.

Coming here would be the best thing for McClain in my opinion. There's nobody better to learn how to play ILB from than London Fletcher and there is definitely nobody in the league that can teach you to be a better, more mature person than Fletcher. He's 23 and has an world of talent, he can be an idiot but having a mentor with such an impressive résumé might save his career...

McClain will probably be claimed before we can get a chance at him. I don't mind the Kehl move but McClain offers a lot of potential. Doubt we'll have a chance to act upon it though, he's got a lot of raw talent and upside, a no-nonsense regime would be wised to claim him and try to salvage him. He was beastly at bama.

Kehl is a great additon.... Didnt want to see him go from preseason cause he is alwsys around the football. My hope is that Haslett starts blitzing his ILBs more to create more pass rush. Riley, and Kehl are two big and athletic players that could be used effectively going after the QB. We have no speed rush right now from Kerrigan and company.

People are getting very into this McClain discussion, but assuming he is even released... I believe we're somewhere around 15th on the waiver wire. I'd imagine that there will be at least a few claims in ahead of us including Kansas City, Buffalo, Philadelphia and perhaps even Dallas, just to name a few.

I think we make a claim, if only to block someone else from getting him and seeing what he can do in our system, even if it's not likely we get him. We don't want someone like that falling to some of the better teams in the waiver wire.

Archived