Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Insider: Redskins claim LB Bryan Kehl off waivers

flexxskins

Rolando McClain was cut?

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 07:53 PM ----------

so was aaron curry, who they also cut recently. and remember reports of them of both these guys being the "safe pick" of the draft? xD

Save for his issues with the law, I thought his football career was doing well. This is the kind of dude that Spanos would be able to get the most out of.

Hasn't shown much of anything being in the league 3 years now. Just because he was a high draft pick doesn't mean he's automatically good.

Maybe he's not great, but 244 tackles in a little over two and a half years is not too shabby. He's got 60 tackles this year so far. His 2011 was pretty good, 99 tackles, 5 sacks, and 14 passes defended is darn good. He's fallen off a little this year in the last two categories, but still a solid tackler. Definitely worth bringing in and giving a shot, especially since we're one injury to a 37 year old away from adding a 5th backup to our starting lineup on defense.

Maybe he's not great, but 244 tackles in a little over two and a half years is not too shabby. He's got 60 tackles this year so far. His 2011 was pretty good, 99 tackles, 5 sacks, and 14 passes defended is darn good. He's fallen off a little this year in the last two categories, but still a solid tackler. Definitely worth bringing in and giving a shot, especially since we're one injury to a 37 year old away from adding a 5th backup to our starting lineup on defense.

3-4 guy in college... Raider and 4-3 guy in NFL... I'd take him today.

so was aaron curry, who they also cut recently. and remember reports of them of both these guys being the "safe pick" of the draft? xD

Can't compare the two, when Curry came to Oakland he was traded for a tuna sandwich and a juice box, Mcclain is just two years into the league and was not playing in the proper scheme

Problem is... hegot gawdy money in 2010 mtl... we cant afford that now unless it was front loaded.

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 08:15 PM ----------

thanks brandy ; )

More shocked than anything I guess.

If McClain IS cut, and clears waivers because of his contract....snatch the kid up. Definitely has talent, even though it's not been massively tapped yet. There's a possibility of scheme issues with the Raiders that may not be present with our 3-4.

Or offer the Raiders a 5th rounder for him PRIOR to going to waivers, so he doesn't get snatched up....IF he'll agree to a reworked contract?

Not so certain about Ronaldo McLain

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/51790/whats-going-on-with-rolando-mcclain

What is going on with Rolando McClain?

We don’t know exactly what, but something is clearly going on it. Perhaps Thursday will bring some clarity.

McClain was not a practice Wednesday and coach Dennis Allen only said it was due to a team-related issue and that McClain wasn’t injured. Allen said he did not know if McClain would be at practice Thursday. That was curious enough.

Then, McClain reportedly wrote on his Facebook page he was no longer a Raider. Yet, he was not waived Wednesday and the team indicated he is still on the roster.

Perhaps that will change Thursday. Something will have to give soon.

McClain, the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft, has been spotty on the field. His play hasn’t improved this season under Oakland’s new regime, and there have been games when his playing time was reduced. Oakland’s defense, as a whole, has been terrible this season.

If McClain is cut, he will likely be claimed by a team with the idea of saving his career. Regardless if McClain is kept this week or not, Oakland will likely look for a middle linebacker in the draft next year with a possible eye on Notre Dame star Manti T’eo.

And this may be why.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13255/rolando-mcclain

News: Prosecutors have dropped assault charges against McClain stemming from an incident last November, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. (Mon Nov 19)

Spin: McClain was facing an 180-day jail sentence, but he won't do any prison time because the alleged victim has decided not to proceed with the case. Though McClain will avoid a prison sentence, he could still face a suspension if the NFL deems his conduct detrimental to the league.

thanks brandy ; )

More shocked than anything I guess.

No problem. I don't follow him, so I don't know what the situation is, but there are tons of people on twitter that are glad to see him go. They're trashing the crap out of him. This was a response I got about him when I asked why he was released:

Justin Arbogast @NFLGuy_SK

@brandymac27 @billromanowski because he is a disgrace to not only the Raiders, but the NFL in general.

No problem. I don't follow him, so I don't know what the situation is, but there are tons of people on twitter that are glad to see him go. They're trashing the crap out of him. This was a response I got about him when I asked why he was released:

Justin Arbogast @NFLGuy_SK

@brandymac27 @billromanowski because he is a disgrace to not only the Raiders, but the NFL in general.

A little background on what I know of the dude, and it's not recent. He was a baller at Alabama. I mean, he was THE prototypical 3-4 ILB on one of the better defenses in the history of College Football.

About a year ago, maybe more, he was either at a wedding or a funeral back home in Alabama and he ended up pulling a gun on someone after whichever ceremony it was. He got the guy on his butt and put the gun up to his ear and pulled the trigger... basically popping the guys ear drum (but the muzzle was facing toward the ground... so he wasn't shot). He was arrested and charged. Recently charges were dropped (likely, a settlement was reached).

I don't know if something else has come up or if a suspension is looming or if McKenzie just wants a new atmosphere... I suspect it's the latter. I suspect Goodell would've done something by now.

5 years ago this would've been the 2nd worse place he could've come to redeem... but right now I think we need him, he needs us, and he needs a guy like Phillip Daniels... who by the way is earning the **** out of his paycheck lately, lol.

We'll see... I'm sure we'll learn more soon.

---------- Post added November-28th-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

guess this means Alexander goes back to OLB.

Who's the better pass rusher Alexander or Jackson?

Push. Jackson is far better against the run though.

Kehl was playing his tail off during preseason. ILB/OLB high motor, high effort player, decent speed for the position knows our scheme. This is a great stroke of luck for the defense/LB corps considering Fletch is banged up and Keenan is on IR.

Raiders were a 34 in McClain rookie year. I can't imagine they would cut him though...would be fairly shocking to me...

Hasn't shown much of anything being in the league 3 years now. Just because he was a high draft pick doesn't mean he's automatically good.

It wasn't the position he was taken at that made me say that.

It was his age and talent. (Which indirectly leads back to the draft position, but ya' know. You started it. :ols:.).

Joking aside, his stats aren't outstanding, but there not too shabby all things considered on the dysfunctional mess that continues to be the Oakland Raiders. And as DC9 noted, he was a beast for the Crimson Tide in school.

There's certainly top level ability to hone there that's for sure.

Hail.

*Edit* Talking of which, out of pure curiosity, do you have ties to Alabama DC man?

Raiders were a 34 in McClain rookie year. I can't imagine they would cut him though...would be fairly shocking to me...

I don't think they did. I think they ran 46 principals because they had Rob Ryan... but out of a 4-3. Could be wrong though.

I would be against signing him because I believe it would send the wrong message to our current players.

I don't like his criminal stuff either, but we apparently liked Babin enough to put in a claim for him, despite the guy being a me-first locker room cancer similar to Haynesworth AND being 32 years old. I think he has enough talent and youth that he should be considered. If some team gets him to perform close to his 2011 stats consistently, he'll be a good pickup.

Of course, we have to wait for him to be officially released, and then our FO would have to claim him and win, so steps still need to be taken.

I don't know about culture and all of that...

But the wrong message in the sense that the current LBs have been working hard in our learning our system, building chemistry and fighting together. Imo they should not have an outsider with dubious charachter thrust upon them and hopefully not pass over them on the depth chart in a way that could disrupt whatever cohesion/camaraderie that exsists.

But the wrong message in the sense that the current LBs have been working hard in our learning our system, building chemistry and fighting together. Imo they should not have an outsider with dubious charachter thrust upon them and hopefully not pass over them on the depth chart in a way that could disrupt whatever cohesion/camaraderie that exsists.

Ah, I see what you're saying. If Robinson was still around I'd agree, but it's pretty much Riley and Fletcher. Unless he'd be starting which I seriously doubt, the only people he might pass over would be Kehl, Muckelroy, and maybe Alexander, if we decided to move him inside. Everyone but Alexander just got here. Considering Fletcher probably can't stay on the field for every snap anymore, I wouldn't have a huge problem with this.

I don't disagree. But at the same time... are we picking up Bryan Kehl if these guys are ready to start?

London Fletcher said today that his status is "year to year." If the talent is there... you make him compete. I wouldn't cut any of our LBs right now (save for Addison, who is already gone). Even Wilson offers something to teams and morale. But I'd certainly cut Banks and let the best man win.

Archived