Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins have some pieces that fit, some that don’t (Haslett quote)

Lavarleap56

Posting from the phone.. Will fix the link when I can to appease all the self appointed moderators that I never heard of before today..

Yeah you do that, and while your at it wrap your mind around why Shan wanted to run the 3-4 so bad in spite of being told we didn't have the pieces for it.

Also, remember when you were convincing the forum that Dirty 30s best days were behind him?? He's up in New York balling can you do an internal investigation and figure out what's wrong with our training staff while you fix the link as well???

Have a good bye week

HAIL

I know haz should make changes. But he did call good def games last year. We were good not great. This year we flat out suck on d sided of the ball. In football you just gotta beat your man. Get pressure w front. I hate it but our def cant stop anything or anyone. If they cld our rec wld atleast b flipped. Its a shame

Yeah you do that, and while your at it wrap your mind around why Shan wanted to run the 3-4 so bad in spite of being told we didn't have the pieces for it.

Also, remember when you were convincing the forum that Dirty 30s best days were behind him?? He's up in New York balling can you do an internal investigation and figure out what's wrong with our training staff while you fix the link as well???

Have a good bye week

HAIL

LMAO.. Looks laron is a good friend but he is FAR from balling up in NY. Still dealing with his Achilles injury up in NY granted not as severe. There is a reason guys go to Europe to get stuff done.

Go back and read and you will see I already said "Haslett didn't want to run a 3-4". You will also see I've said it is a "organizational failure". That means you can blame Shanny, Haz, Campbell, Morroco, etc all the way down to the players.

This quote was an answer to a question, right? I think it'd be fair to see the question first. I don't like him saying this, especially at a time when our defense is just flat out awful, but when you're asked questions like you're an idiot sometimes you answer in a manner defending yourself over others.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 11:21 AM ----------

jeez what is with all the redskins fans being so damn sensitive to what the coaches say. first the shanahan "giving up" quote now this. bottom line our players arent executing. the coaches are probably taking a lot of **** for us losing when a lot of it is the players not doing their job.

The coaches DO have to be more careful since it's always a "walking on thin ice" type of atmosphere for everyone when the team is consistently losing, however, I agree with you.

Everyone is waaay too sensitive. I was glad Shanahan said what he said and I didn't take it like he was giving up on the season. However, I did take it like he was close to giving up on some players and wanted them to know it. Sensitivities be damned. Haslett, on the other hand, should know now is not the time to defend yourself in any way. The defense is just plain awful, and while we understand the personnel is as well, you can't let anyone think you're just blaming them. That being said, his quote really isn't that bad and you're right, the fans and players seem to be overly sensitive right now.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 11:29 AM ----------

Our rush doesn't work because Haslett plays with no balls. How many stunts does he run? Line crashes? Five- or six-man blitzes? Corner blitzes? Safety blitzes? Delayed blitzes? None.

He's awful.

He was running a lot of those things during preseason and the first two games. Remember Hall's sack on Drew Brees?

If Haslett is at fault for anything it's over-compensating for the lack of talent. He started to coach scared after the Rams game. That's the truth.

Our current talent is depleted. I would be shocked if any DC could get a top 16 ranking out of it. However, we have enough quality starters - not elite players, but quality starters, that we should be at worst low 20s or high teens. The problem is that without Spanos holding his hand, Haslett has no ability to scheme up pressure from the LB spots, which is, you know, where the pressure in a 3-4 comes from.

If Haslett really didn't want to coach a 3-4, (despite guys like Zimmer doing pretty fine with it when called upon), then it seems like it's due to him being just awful at scheming up pressure. He's never done it effectively anywhere he's been. Keep in mind, he's coached 4-3 nearly his entire career, and his best rankings was the few years he coached 3-4 with the Steelers (which he inherited).

I keep hearing our talent level is our primary woe on defense. Injuries. Rak is out.

But I find it hard to believe that a team with a competent coach in year 3 of a rebuild cannot have a better defense in place. We are trending in the wrong direction.

Yes we are cap strapped, but that didnt stop us from building up the defense the past 2 years, including many picks and free agent signings. It doesnt stop us from adjusting on the fly.

But Haslet seems to be leaning on his secondary to provide coverage sacks. We are too 1 dimensional. We can complain about Madieu moving up not back, but it doesn't change the inevitable, with no pressure on QB's he will be burned anyways. And I see no attempts to change was has been clearly failing us for quite a few weeks now.

Our defense play calling is atrocious. Including that Cruz TD, we should have rushed 3 dropped 8 - prevent. We were in man, and doubled 2 of their receivers. If Cruz wasnt open, rest assured one of their other WR's in single man would have eventually gotten open.

I don't think most DC's would make that call, with SO much field to defend.

A shorter field a little later on after forcing them to make some throws.milk the clock etc backed up against the end zone, that's when a DC becomes more aggressive.

I know haz should make changes. But he did call good def games last year. We were good not great. This year we flat out suck on d sided of the ball. In football you just gotta beat your man. Get pressure w front. I hate it but our def cant stop anything or anyone. If they cld our rec wld atleast b flipped. Its a shame
LOU SPANOS. He was the LB'er coach and made a ton of calls last year (i.e. telling Has what would work/leading Has to the right call). He has the UCLA defense ballin this year too. He would be my number 1 choice to be DC here next year. He was intricately involved in the Steelers D and brought all that institutional knowledge with him. Unfortunately, all of it left with him too.

I'm curious as to what the actual plan is for the defense.

Shanny surely hasn't hitched his coaching trailer to Haslett, so what gives? Regardless, this team is definitely lacking in talent on the defensive side of the ball, but for one of its coaches to allude to this is not exactly what you want to hear.

Great leaders take no credit when things go right, and take all the blame when things go wrong. Skins need better leadership.

Have a good bye week

HAIL

Pro Football Focus has ranked Laron #72 out of 76 safeties in the NFL. In addition, Dirty has been on the Jets injury report since week one: http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/injury.html

20120815_ajw_ai8_020.0_standard_500.0.jpg

LOU SPANOS. He was the LB'er coach and made a ton of calls last year (i.e. telling Has what would work/leading Has to the right call). He has the UCLA defense ballin this year too. He would be my number 1 choice to be DC here next year. He was intricately involved in the Steelers D and brought all that institutional knowledge with him. Unfortunately, all of it left with him too.

Agreed. LBs play a huge role(can't stress that enough) in an effective 3-4 defense, and we decided to go with BOB SLOWIK after Lou's departure. Well no wonder our pass rush is no longer there. Hell, even opposing teams can't help but to point out how our defense is so predictable, and how we keep running repetitive blitzes/play calls. I'm not in the least bit surprised that we're last in the league in that department.

I've been a strong backer of Mike & Bruce and still am. However, I seriously question their reasoning behind keeping Haslett & Slowik, and letting a guy like Lou slip away the way he did. Even when Lou was on staff last year, I didn't just look at him as our LBs coach, but more as Hasbeens eventual replacement for DC. The players loved him and he seemed to do a good job of keeping them motivated. Letting him slip IMHO, was the biggest let down to our defensive players, especially Fletcher & the LBs.

the way i look at it is, losers are going to cry about it, and continue to play bad, and winners are going to step up and prove the coaches wrong. essentially, both shanahan and haslett have called out the team, and its time for the players to respond. the players who step up, will continue to be apart of this team. the players who continue to make mistakes, will be let go. i think this is what the coaches are trying to accomplish by telling the media the things they are.

the way i look at it is, losers are going to cry about it, and continue to play bad, and winners are going to step up and prove the coaches wrong. essentially, both shanahan and haslett have called out the team, and its time for the players to respond. the players who step up, will continue to be apart of this team. the players who continue to make mistakes, will be let go. i think this is what the coaches are trying to accomplish by telling the media the things they are.

There are better ways to motivate football players. Neither Shanahan or Haslett have the amount of respect necessary to call out the entire team and not expect the team to respond negatively. Not many coaches do.

There are better ways to motivate football players. Neither Shanahan or Haslett have the amount of respect necessary to call out the entire team and not expect the team to respond negatively. Not many coaches do.

Shannahan has Super Bowl rings. What players on this team beyond RG3 and London have the amount of respect necessary not to be called out? I say only those two bc RG3 has done everything in his power to win and London has earned that respect from his highly productive career.

I wonder if Haslett saw the initial and latter reaction to Mike's statement he made, saw how at first people were on Mike, then on the players to produce, and thought to himself 'hey, it worked for Mike, I should be able to sneak one in as well'. A delayed copycat if you will.

I think there's just too much antimosity [ spellcheck broke ] regatrding Haslett for him to survive past this season; every single blown play, incorrect call, anything negative about the defense, the fingers point to him. IMO, keeping him will end up being a growing distraction, with calls for his job growing louder and louder as the weeks go by, so they may as well get it over with ASAP.

Shannahan has Super Bowl rings. What players on this team beyond RG3 and London have the amount of respect necessary not to be called out? I say only those two bc RG3 has done everything in his power to win and London has earned that respect from his highly productive career.

Great. How many has he won recently? And how many with Washington?

You can motivate your players without alienating them.

Another day another post from ll bashing Haslett... Shocking. This one really takes the cake though.
I know right? The irony is that I was one of the people that was never high on Haslett prior to this season. But now with a unit that lacks talent people are really beating up on the guy. The same people defended Kyle's poor offenses when his offensive unit lacked talent. Coaches need talent.

If I had to assign blame for the defense it would begin with our player/personnel decisions and structure and for individual staffers I would blame Slowick, Raheem and Burney as much as I blame Haslett. Not one unit has produced this season. Another irony is that the S might be the best perfoming unit by PFF, IIRC.

I know right? The irony is that I was one of the people that was never high on Haslett prior to this season. But now with a unit that lacks talent people are really beating up on the guy. The same people defended Kyle's poor offenses when his offensive unit lacked talent. Coaches need talent.

If I had to assign blame to the defensive staff I would blame Slowick, Raheem and Burney as much as I blame Haslett.

I wasn't high on Kyle either; I considered him to be a product of Johnson/Shaub being stud players, but I also know he is young, and will adjust and learn. Haslett has been around the block with a number of teams, and has a proven track record of failure.

If having stud players makes Haslett look good, then that doesn't make him a good coach, it only places him at the right place at the right time.

Thats not coaching...

If I had to assign blame for the defense it would begin with our player/personnel decisions and structure and for individual staffers I would blame Slowick, Raheem and Burney as much as I blame Haslett. Not one unit has produced this season. Another irony is that the S might be the best perfoming unit by PFF, IIRC.

Yes the defense lacks talent, Yes players have underperformed, Yes coaches have underperformed as well. I have been clear that my opinion is it is a organizational failure and not just one persons fault. Exactly what in the OP is digging at Haslett ?

1.It's his quote

2.Player reaction to said quote

3. Info about internal talk Raheem taking over the interim

4. Thinking it is wrong to hrow guys under the bus after they have gone to bat for him.

5. I didn't agree with Mikes comments either on Sunday

I didn't attack him, his scheme, his play calling, none of that. There are ways to motivate guys and ways not to and these comments are not how you do it. Various players and ex players have heard them and most of the responses are A) Hes trying to save a job, B) he's basically saying hes working with trash.

I feel bad for the guy because he didn't want to run a 3-4 but at the end of the day he took the job.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 11:40 PM ----------

what are we waiting for? Thats my only question...

sounds like Mike wants to see if he can turn it around in a few games..

I feel bad for the guy because he didn't want to run a 3-4 but at the end of the day he took the job.

For a simplistic hit and run look at this issue:

Haslett average points ranking running 3-4 defenses:

Haslett average points allowed ranking running 4-3 defenses:

Maybe Haslett prefers the 4-3 because the 3-4 more readily exposes a coach's lack of creativity and ability to scheme, while a bad 4-3 defense can be blamed on "talent" like he's attempting to do now? Sadly, there's nobody in the media who's been able to break down the utter ineptitude of Has's scheme like posters on here have.

Again, wanna see a 3-4 that's not loaded with talent up and down the roster? Look at the Colts.

Archived