Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins have some pieces that fit, some that don’t (Haslett quote)

Lavarleap56

I agree with Dan Graziano that Haslett is not the main problem- lack of defensive talent is the problem. If they do replace him, then I would want Dom Capers if he is available. Haslett has coached 4-3 most of his career and I blame Shanny for switching to 3-4 when we had a top ten NFL defense until he decided to change it. He should be held accountable to explain what good reasons he had for changing a defense that was working fine and was NOT broken. This defense now is broken.

What does Haslett coaching the 4-3 for "most of his career" have to do with his failures here? He failed at running the 4-3 in pretty much every place he went, too. In fact, coaching wise, he's had more success with the 3-4 than the 4-3. Of course, that was in Pittsburgh and he inherited a LeBeau led defense, but his best ranks were with the 3-4 defense.

Haslett shouldn't have accepted the position if he couldn't make it work. It's professional integrity. He thought he could, he couldn't. Shanahan can save face by apologizing and handing the keys to the defense over, in full, to a new coordinator. If that coordinator thinks we can run a 3-4, great. If not? Great. Tailor our defense to our current personnel, and our direction. I don't care what version we run.

Hi Stalker,How are you today? I am truly flattered you make it a point pay me so much attention on here.

It's hard to miss you, when you post a new thread every thought that comes into your head.

But your egocentric view of the world, never ceases to amaze me.

Always can count on you posting behind me taking u neccessary digs for your enjoyment. Have a nice day. :jerk:

Are you honestly surprised a thread you titled "Haslett says it's not his fault and the players suck," when the quote was:

“I come to work, I work hard, I do the best I can with what we got and try to put these guys in position to win games and be successful on defense,” Haslett said Wednesday. “That’s all really I can do.”

Caused members (many more than myself) to comment? Even your own buddy TK "fixed" the thread for you because it was so ridiculous.

Haslett shouldn't have accepted the position if he couldn't make it work. It's professional integrity. He thought he could, he couldn't. Shanahan can save face by apologizing and handing the keys to the defense over, in full, to a new coordinator. If that coordinator thinks we can run a 3-4, great. If not? Great. Tailor our defense to our current personnel, and our direction. I don't care what version we run.

Thats the problem, we keep hiring these coaches thats only about the money. Not saying that shouldn't be a factor, because "business is business", but its disappointing that we invest in these coaches who aren't motivated or possess the pedigree to be successful. But i do know that Shanny BETTER had fix this in the offseason or else i would be in full support of ousting him after next yr. We can't continue like this.

Who can we get in regards to a tough, strong defensive leader next year. Any chance we lure away Dom Capers or Dick LeBeau? Romeo Crennel or Rex Ryan? LeBeau is the father of the 3-4 zone blitz scheme and would work wonders if we are, in fact, trying to immitate the Steelers. Thoughts?

LeBeau is 75 years old. He's not going anywhere for a lateral move. The one time he did that in his career he didn't have any success anyway.

LeBeau is 75 years old. He's not going anywhere for a lateral move. The one time he did that in his career he didn't have any success anyway.

Understandable but you get my point, speaking in hypotheticals. Haslett needs to role and I'm not sure I'd put any stock in Raheem Morris as DC. Personally, I think Rex Ryan could bring some fire here... my only worry would be his loud ass mouth in the spotlight

Just a complete random unfounded hunch, but I have a feeling Mike is going to avoid bringing in a tough strong type to lead our defense. It seems inevitable they butt heads with Iron Mike, or maybe even Mike feels threatened that a grab the bull by the horns guy may in the end, take his job. Which in all likelihood is supposed to be handed to Kyle, in his eyes.

I expect another Haslet grade DC, if any change is made at all. If it wasn't last week, its not this year. Next year we will be sold that injuries and a depleted secondary warrant no changes whatsoever. Or much more likely, we will add another 4-3 guy to coach the line or backers.

We need depth rushing the passer added. One torn pect next year, are we going to be drawing dead another year?

We need a dominant Nosetackle in all reality. Cofield is what he is, a mid-grade NT who would most likely excel at 3-4 DE. I have no faith in Jenkins as a NT, much less a DE and we have no idea what Carriker will be if/when he comes back from that nasty injury. Luckily Carriker is a workhorse in the gym and should remain serviceable. A true NT would turn this defense around tremendously. He's the backbone of the 3-4, the Sergeant so to speak. He is the sole individual who clogs gaps and opens up blitz lanes for the LB's. Neild will most likely be in the unemployment line next year and Baker's potential remains to be seen. Some team is going to be verrryyy happy with Star Lotulelei after this draft. Golston shouldn't even be playing football. There are a ton of holes fellas... That missing first rounder is a kick in the sack (although RGIII is well worth it)

The only reason I don't mind Haslett sticking around until the end of the season is what might happen if we ****can him now. My fear is we will promote Morris, get a morale boost for the players see improvement from the D and because of that we'll settle on Morris instead of having an open ended interview process where we evaluate all the defense coaching talent from around the league. I really want them to have to do their homework and due diligence and come up with the best possible candidate instead of sticking with Morris because there was improvement seen and for the sake of continuity and building off this season's finish. For that reason, I prefer waiting to fire Haslett (with prejudice) until the end of this campaign.

And he has yet to been shown the door this week why? Well maybe Mike wants a record breaking season as the worst defense in the NFL. EVER. Reminds me of Dane Cooks comic bit about crying and saying "I did my best."

I think they didn't want the Haslett firing to be seen as a "knee-jerk" move. I still occasionally hear people on the morning shows talk about how we have a "good" defense.

The idea LL floated on the podcast was that they want to give Haslett one more shot to try and turn things around. If this defense is still horrible after the Dallas game, we could fire him. Then the Redskins essentially have a "mini" bye week; we play on Thursday, and then we don't play again until the following Monday versus the Giants. That gives Raheem enough time to take the reins (if he's not already preparing for it) before we play on Monday Night.

And if the defense still sucks then all bets are off and who knows what will happen.

Maybe I read it on here, maybe I heard it on the radio, but somewhere I remember getting the idea that Haslett never wanted to run a 3-4, he wanted to run a 4-3, but Shanahan was convinced the 3-4 was the direction the league was going and insisted on that scheme. Is there any truth to this?

If that's true Shanahan should get the boot. If he's forcing our DC to run a scheme that doesn't play to his strengths that's the final straw. I can't blame Shanahan if Haslett wanted a 3-4 and sucks at coaching it. We can blame Shanahan if it wasn't what Haslett wanted.

If that's true Shanahan should get the boot. If he's forcing our DC to run a scheme that doesn't play to his strengths that's the final straw. I can't blame Shanahan if Haslett wanted a 3-4 and sucks at coaching it. We can blame Shanahan if it wasn't what Haslett wanted.

Haslett was sure in a hurry to sign that check to do it though.

Look, Shanny hiring Haslett was a mistake. I think that's become painfully obvious now. There were some better options available and for whatever reason, we just didn't go after them. Shanny took a year off and evaluated how the league was changing and decided a 3-4 defense was the way to go, and he found a guy who had experience running it and give him a shot to get back into the leage.

We can argue over the hiring and whether or not Shanny "forced" Haslett to run the 3-4 (and I don't think Shanny forced Haslett to do anything since he told Haslett when he was hired what he wanted to run so Haslett was clearly fine with it when he signed his contract), but the dude has had three years in this system. Three. And he still seems clueless about what he's doing. How is that possible from a man that has damn near two decades of experience in the NFL, that he is so baffled by the concepts of the 3-4.

He wasn't even that good a 4-3 coach to begin with.

If you want to hit Mike on making a bad coaching hire, then fine. But Haslett signed that check to do a job, and he's had a lot of time to do it, and he's had more money and draft picks put into his side of the ball than Kyle has had on his, and the defense is this bad.

Haslett was sure in a hurry to sign that check to do it though.

Look, Shanny hiring Haslett was a mistake. I think that's become painfully obvious now. There were some better options available and for whatever reason, we just didn't go after them. Shanny took a year off and evaluated how the league was changing and decided a 3-4 defense was the way to go, and he found a guy who had experience running it and give him a shot to get back into the leage.

We can argue over the hiring and whether or not Shanny "forced" Haslett to run the 3-4 (and I don't think Shanny forced Haslett to do anything since he told Haslett when he was hired what he wanted to run so Haslett was clearly fine with it when he signed his contract), but the dude has had three years in this system. Three. And he still seems clueless about what he's doing. How is that possible from a man that has damn near two decades of experience in the NFL, that he is so baffled by the concepts of the 3-4.

He wasn't even that good a 4-3 coach to begin with.

If you want to hit Mike on making a bad coaching hire, then fine. But Haslett signed that check to do a job, and he's had a lot of time to do it, and he's had more money and draft picks put into his side of the ball than Kyle has had on his, and the defense is this bad.

Shanahan is the head coach. It's his job to get the best coaches for their respectable jobs and picking coaches who will suceed in carrying out what his vision is. If he picked Haslett and told him to do a certain defense when he knew for fact Haslett was not happy with doing that defense that's on Shanahan. Like Haslett is going to turn down a paycheck. Zorn was over his head too but who is gonna turn down the opportunity? If Shanahan wanted a 3-4 he should have found a pure 3-4 guy. Not someone who could potentially run one but seemly didn't want to.

It's Shanahan's job to put his coaches in a position to succeed and that also means finding the right ones that have his vision. This is no different than coordinators having the job of putting players in position to succeed.

No one is going to argue the amount of time Haslett has gotten or the amount of picks but Shanahan picked the guy and if he picked him knowing he didn't share his vision on defense it's Shanahan's fault.

He has?

Trent Williams 1st Rd pick

Robert Griffin 1, 1, 1, 2

McNabb 2, 4

Brown 3

Helu 4

Hankerson 3

Royster 6

Paul 5

Robinson 6

Hurt 7

Liberius 3

cook 7

austin 7

capers 7

dennis morris 6

cousins 4

Gettis 5

Compton 6

Pierre Garcon 5 years 42 mil

Chris Chester 5 year 20 mil

Morgan 2 year 20 mil

Please show me the list of defensive players that has more invested in it than this list. please.

He has?

Trent Williams 1st Rd pick

Robert Griffin 1, 1, 1, 2

McNabb 2, 4

Brown 3

Helu 4

Hankerson 3

Royster 6

Paul 5

Robinson 6

Hurt 7

Liberius 3

cook 7

austin 7

capers 7

dennis morris 6

cousins 4

Gettis 5

Compton 6

Pierre Garcon 5 years 42 mil

Chris Chester 5 year 20 mil

Morgan 2 year 20 mil

Please show me the list of defensive players that has more invested in it than this list. please.

A lot of those guys aren't really "investments." I mean Dennis Morris and Terrence Austin?

On D we have spent more money. Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, Fletcher, and Wilson were all FAs of some significance. Kerrigan was a 1st, Jenkins was a 2nd.

A lot of those guys aren't really "investments." I mean Dennis Morris and Terrence Austin?

On D we have spent more money. Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, Fletcher, and Wilson were all FAs of some significance. Kerrigan was a 1st, Jenkins was a 2nd.

there's more money and investments in those contracts than McNabb who required both draft picks and money? As well as Brown? I think your numbers may be off, especially after your sprinkle in Garcon, Morgan, and this year.

Josh WIslon 13.5

Carricker 20

Cofield 36

Fletcher 10

Bowen 27.5

Brown 20

McNabb

Garcon 42

Morgan 20

Chester 20

I'd say we can count at least 10 mil for mcNabb and that makes it roughyl even.

Archived