Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins have some pieces that fit, some that don’t (Haslett quote)

Lavarleap56

Ladies and gentlemen,

Mr. Haslett has just been given the 'death kiss'.

Or, should I say, Mr. Haslett has just given the team the '**** YOU' kiss.

He has completely confessed that he sucks as a coach; his inability to 'coach'

[ look up the meaning ] players means exactly what it is; he is not a coach.

If we put 11 pro bowlers on the team, i'm sure most of us could do a fair job, so his confession that he cannot coach someone unless they're a perennial pro bowler proves his stay in D.C. should be short; as in, FIRE HIS ASS TODAY...

If I'm the head coach' date=' there's no way I'd be okay with this. Coupled with Shanahan's statements earlier in the week, these coaches have likely lost the players for the season.[/quote']

I would not be surprised if we see a repeat of 2009 when the players officially gave up on Zorn. I'm bracing myself for a blowout loss to the Fecals and Cowturds.

The Giants play was on Williams period. He cheated up (didn't stay deep) to play the out and was caught flat-footed as Cruz blew by him. That doesn't mean Haslett hasn't called some bad games, he has. As for insisting on the 3-4, I believe that was all Shanahan. Especially when we had good 4-3 personnel at the time.

We did not pay attention to the D side of the ball this year in FA, etc. We were worried about signing FA wide receivers. Of our 4 starting DB, none would start on almost any other team. It doesn't matter much what scheme you call, if you can't cover you can't cover.

So fire Shanny; let one of the current coaches interim, and then go from there.

Sorry, I forgot to mention to those who may not know;

go through and look at Haslett's career, with all 10 or so teams he's been a part of for the last decade or so.

He bounces from team to team every year or 2, and the record/rank of the team he was a part of was either near, at, or heading to the bottom.

Facts are facts, can't be disputed...

Haslet like many coaches see absolutely no fault in the perfect blueprints they roll out. So I am almost used to expecting arrogant comments from incompetents.

Fact is our defense sucks and it's his baby.

Since he chooses to not pressure QB's, try something different, we can expect nothing to change. When our 4 cant beat their 5 clean, it's time to creative, deceptive, take some risks. It doesn't matter if we have Madhu Balakrishnan or Madieu Williams at FS. for when we cannot pressure QB's, and do not attempt to remedy it mid game, its expect league worst numbers.

No, deciding to send Riley and Fletch on a delayed blitz right up the middle, is not changing it up.

"I come to work, I work hard, I do the best I can with what we got and try to put these guys in position to win games and be successful on defense,” “That’s all really I can do.”

Maybe I'm reading into this too much but this sounds off to me. Throughout the Defensive struggles this season players have publicly went to bat for Haz saying "scheme is too easy of a excuse, at some point players have to make plays" - LF. Various players have echoed Fletchers echoed that statement the past few weeks. I talked to one defensive player this morning who already said "sounds like he's just saying we suck and it's not on him".

On the heels of Shanahan "evaluation" gate this can't be good for morale. Coaches slipping/cracking in the media, undisciplined play, and lack of intensity by the defense are telling signs. Maybe that's why there is talk of Haslett having till Thanksgiving to show improvement.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into the quote on a bye week..

Haslett sucks but to be fair we don't have the players needed to run a good 3-4 defense. We should shift to the 4-3 for the next few games to see if this will help. There should be some good players on the open market in free agency. Remember we now have a top QB and a very good RB. It will just take time to fill in the missing parts.

Keep the faith. You won't see Haslett around here next season.

Puts players in position to win? The Giants loss is one that's completely on Haslett. He put our players in position to lose after our rookie QB rallied the team to a go ahead TD. That loss killed the entire season.

Well I'm not a Haslett supporter in any way, but that Giants game-winning 77-yard TD was not on Haslett at all. That was purely an execution error by Madieu and Wilson. Haslett had the correct call to defend the play; the players just blew it.

Everyone is to blame for this defense's collapse this season. Not a single player is playing up to his potential, and none of the coaches are able to get the most out of what they have to work with.

We're missing the point here. I'm sure 100% of the folks here would agree that our defensive talent level isn't very good (to put it nicely). But that does not excuse his comments. Coming out and throwing your players under the bus is only going to cause drama. If Shanahan doesn't fire him at least after the season, then perhaps it would be time to evaluate HIS job.

I don't agree with the OP's take in this. It's just too easy to make Haslett the scapegoat for all that's ailing the defense. He's not the most creative defensive coordinator in the league, but perhaps people should ackknowledge that an unluckly mix of circumstances dictate he cobble together a defensive with a lot of players who are not currently starter-level quality.

How do you line up Madieu Williams to ensure he can perform? This crucial posiiton is manned by someone who makes a lot mental mistakes.

If its come down to playing Reed Doughty, how much can be done to ensure he can cover what Fletcher can't-- what drill do you practice to make these guys can run more quickly.

And Hall.... Was Haslett derelict in practicing the old "Don't Take Off Your Helmet and Cuss Out the Ref" drills? Let's be realistic, Hall simply lost complete control -- and forgot any messages of restraint that might have been drilled into him by his coaches. Should Haslett have suspended Hall a few games for that transgression -- considering the Skins have little or no talent behind him?

As for Hasletts control over his staff -- how effective would Haslett be in threatening to fire Morris or Slowik if the defensive secondary and linebackers performance doesn't improve? I think they all try to do the best they can and wait for what's going to transpire in the off-season.

The quality of executing plays is on the PLAYERS. Lapses in discipline on the field are on the players too. It's players who make the mental mistakes on the field that cost us. Okay, scheme design -- you can blame the coaches - but please remember that 10 yard cushions are often result of how well our corners' speed match up to the opposing WRs.

Bottom Line: No one is blame-free for the defense. Not Haslett, Morris, Hall, Wilson,Willliam, Jenkins, Bowen, etc. Nor is the offense for all their 3-&-outs, and dropped passes, sacks leading to changes of possession. The longer this defense is on the field the more it gets exposed and exploited. This is a team performance and it's getting old that we always single out Haslett.

I still find it funny that everyone is so riled up over a quote that has no link provided for it, a clear rules violation that the OP has been here way too long to not know about, and acting like what was used in the thread title, which isn't the same as what was quoted, is what was actually said. All of you people upset by this "quote" have been played.

jeez what is with all the redskins fans being so damn sensitive to what the coaches say. first the shanahan "giving up" quote now this. bottom line our players arent executing. the coaches are probably taking a lot of **** for us losing when a lot of it is the players not doing their job.

What Shanahan said sucked, plain and simple, and I'm a big Shanahan advocate. Haslett is a POS who has not and cannot do anything in this league, and he's blaming his players. He's a louder Blache.

The coaches are there to make the players play, and our coaches are selecting these players. It's on them.

When did he say this? What else did he have to say?

I don't even doubt that he said it. But I would like to know where/when this was said and in context. I can't stand Haslett, but I've learned my lesson about just seeing naked quotes and running with them :ols:

I don't agree with the OP's take in this. It's just too easy to make Haslett the scapegoat for all that's ailing the defense. He's not the most creative defensive coordinator in the league, but perhaps people should ackknowledge that an unluckly mix of circumstances dictate he cobble together a defensive with a lot of players who are not currently starter-level quality.

How do you line up Madieu Williams to ensure he can perform? This crucial posiiton is manned by someone who makes a lot mental mistakes.

If its come down to playing Reed Doughty, how much can be done to ensure he can cover what Fletcher can't-- what drill do you practice to make these guys can run more quickly.

And Hall.... Was Haslett derelict in practicing the old "Don't Take Off Your Helmet and Cuss Out the Ref" drills? Let's be realistic, Hall simply lost complete control -- and forgot any messages of restraint that might have been drilled into him by his coaches. Should Haslett have suspended Hall a few games for that transgression -- considering the Skins have little or no talent behind him?

As for Hasletts control over his staff -- how effective would Haslett be in threatening to fire Morris or Slowik if the defensive secondary and linebackers performance doesn't improve? I think they all try to do the best they can and wait for what's going to transpire in the off-season.

The quality of executing plays is on the PLAYERS. Lapses in discipline on the field are on the players too. It's players who make the mental mistakes on the field that cost us. Okay, scheme design -- you can blame the coaches - but please remember that 10 yard cushions are often result of how well our corners' speed match up to the opposing WRs.

Bottom Line: No one is blame-free for the defense. Not Haslett, Morris, Hall, Wilson,Willliam, Jenkins, Bowen, etc. Nor is the offense for all their 3-&-outs, and dropped passes, sacks leading to changes of possession. The longer this defense is on the field the more it gets exposed and exploited. This is a team performance and it's getting old that we always single out Haslett.

1. I have never said the only issue is Haslett.

2.I believe it is a organizational failure with everyone included.

3. My take is what the quote implies as true as it may be. You don't throw your players under the bus.. How are you supposed to motivate them when you say they are no good.

4.I really didn't think to much into it until some defensive guys got wind of it.

I swear, if we fire Haslett now, switch to 4-3, get a fiery DC (if its Raheem, fine), and spend all of our FA $ and draft picks (outside of a RT and WR) on defense, we'd be fine next year.

Give us 5-7 games to get a head start on next season. The Haslett experiment is over.

What Shanahan said sucked, plain and simple, and I'm a big Shanahan advocate. Haslett is a POS who has not and cannot do anything in this league, and he's blaming his players. He's a louder Blache.

The coaches are there to make the players play, and our coaches are selecting these players. It's on them.

its been thoroughly discussed that shanahan has control over the personnel, and wanted to run the 3-4. i agree that haslett is trash and shouldnt have accepted the deal if he didnt know anything about 3-4. but when you have players like wilson and hall getting burned every play, and doughty and williams at safety, what is he supposed to do? and our defensive captain appears to have lost a step, so is that hasletts fault too?

We are still paying for fat albert technically. His contract is the reason for the penalties. D hall as well. We spent most of our early fa money on wrs. The only def players we aquired were the safties and neither have played a down this year. Rak and carriker were lost early in the year. Our def got hit with the perfect storm of bs. Sure haslett could do better but how much worse could our def personel situation be. The problem that stands out most to me is that we cant get even get close to the qb early in the game. Our rush doesnt work.

its been thoroughly discussed that shanahan has control over the personnel, and wanted to run the 3-4. i agree that haslett is trash and shouldnt have accepted the deal if he didnt know anything about 3-4. but when you have players like wilson and hall getting burned every play, and doughty and williams at safety, what is he supposed to do? and our defensive captain appears to have lost a step, so is that hasletts fault too?

Yes, Shanahan has selected all of these defensive players. Haslett has had zero say, and these defensive players have been terrible. No Pro Bowlers outside of Orakpo. And Fletcher. And Hall.

Haslett has no history of a poor defense or a defense that has worsened once he took it over. Except for all of them.

He publicly says that his players are trash, and you defend him? Come on, man.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 12:40 PM ----------

We are still paying for fat albert technically. His contract is the reason for the penalties. D hall as well. We spent most of our early fa money on wrs. The only def players we aquired were the safties and neither have played a down this year. Rak and carriker were lost early in the year. Our def got hit with the perfect storm of bs. Sure haslett could do better but how much worse could our def personel situation be. The problem that stands out most to me is that we cant get even get close to the qb early in the game. Our rush doesnt work.

Our rush doesn't work because Haslett plays with no balls. How many stunts does he run? Line crashes? Five- or six-man blitzes? Corner blitzes? Safety blitzes? Delayed blitzes? None.

He's awful.

Archived