Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Which has contributed the most to the Washington Redskins 3-6 record? Injuries, Lack of Quality Depth, or Coaching?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Totally agree. Its 90% coaching to me. Anyone who says its injuries look at Green Bay. They have lost their starting running back, 2 best receivers, Tight end, their 2 best defensive players (Woodson and Matthews) yet they still win and convincingly. Sure they have better talent but they have double the injury issues we have. Its part of the game. I do think Fred Davis' injury was the dagger for our offense but IMO Orakpo and Carriker would not have changed the way this defense has played.

The thing is, Haslett was the coach last year too. I have trouble blaming the coaching when we have the same coordinator as last year (when our defense was solid). Now, to be fair, one could argue that Spanos was Haslett's crutch and that crutch was knocked out from under him.

In the end though, the biggest qualitative difference from this year and last is the safety play and the pass rush, both areas with serious personnel change from 2011.

Not too sure why you'd think losing Orakpo wouldn't change this defense? Is coaching the reason our pass rush fell off a cliff this year? Doesn't it seem more likely that losing 2 of our top 5 rushers is the difference from last year to this year?

The Green Bay comparison is interesting, but I don't really see it as apples to apples, at least offensively. Defensively, I'd have to know their roster a bit better before commenting.

A=Injuries to starters

B=Lack of Quality Depth

C=Coaching

A leads to B

B leads to Front Office

Inuries are a given in the NFL. Every team has them. Not planning for them is Front Office. Not "coaching up" the players you do have is coaching.

Agree completely. All of the above is my answer. But you have injuries and need quality depth. I'm not as quick to blame the coaches, because I also understand they inherited a mess. At the same time, year 3 of rebuilding should not be a double digit loss season regardless.

D, all of the above, in order with a mod

Injuries - depth - poor GMing.

Everything Mike wants to do, is predicated on running the ball, first. Heck, all the OL he hand selects have to fit the mold of his run scheme. Pass blocking? Bah, it's not imperative since play action will make their job simple as pie.

Yet he went into the season with only 2 RB's.

The problem is, Royster has not impressed any fan I know this year. Royster got nicked up last year, and maybe he is still not 100%.

Something so basic such as a backup RB, on a team so run heavy dependent to be able to even pass, points to a horrible job by our GM, Iron Mike.

The thing is, Haslett was the coach last year too. I have trouble blaming the coaching when we have the same coordinator as last year (when our defense was solid). Now, to be fair, one could argue that Spanos was Haslett's crutch and that crutch was knocked out from under him.

In the end though, the biggest qualitative difference from this year and last is the safety play and the pass rush, both areas with serious personnel change from 2011.

Not too sure why you'd think losing Orakpo wouldn't change this defense? Is coaching the reason our pass rush fell off a cliff this year? Doesn't it seem more likely that losing 2 of our top 5 rushers is the difference from last year to this year?

The Green Bay comparison is interesting, but I don't really see it as apples to apples, at least offensively. Defensively, I'd have to know their roster a bit better before commenting.

Orakpo had 0 sacks in 3 years vs NFC East teams until he got 2 in the last game vs Philly last yr in a meaningless 34-10 rout by Philly. . And Rob Jackson has made some bug plays for us. Has a couple INTs and has played the run very well. I just dont think those guys would have made a huge difference to what is going on. The team let up 30 pts 6 of the last 7games Orakpo and Carriker played from last season and the games they played in this year. You also shouldn't have a guy who was in the UFL (for a reason) coaching a 3-4 defense when that coach hasnt coached a 3-4 since the 90s. It just doesnt make sense. Haz defenses are known for getting worse the further he gets into a tenure. The proof is what he has done in the past. I just have no faith in this coaching staff. None. Injuries have hurt us for sure but good coaching could offset that i believe. I believe coaching lost us the Giant game. Eli Manning even said in his post game presser he saw that the Skins were playing a defense to take away the sidelines......not to take away a long pass play on that last drive, and he was glad Victor Cruz noticed that too. Its just soooooooo frustrating!

I can understand having injuries to a few starters and not having enough depth on your roster, which is the Coaches fault. My biggest gripe with this team is the lack of execution on

a consistent basis on both sides of the ball, as well as a lack of discipline and mental fortitude and players not playing as a unit. The lack of top tier Coaching is evident the players are not responding to the Coaches because they aren't buying what the Coaches are selling especially on Defense. The current NFL does not give you the luxury of having 5 years to see if you can

turn a team around you get two to 3 years and thats only if your improving each and every year. Shanny has made too many mistakes on Personnel decisions as GM starting with Mcnabb then

last year with the two retreads as QB and on and on it goes. Its time for a change the culture stinks and Shannys vision for the team is in a shambles if he has one, more of the same is

not the answer. The age of the Shanny type Coaches is over its time for a younger Coach that can relate to these players like Tomlin, harbaugh, Payton the time is now! Hail!!!!

You lose 4 starters on defense 3 on offense along with a major contributor on offense (Helu) ALL before the season was 2 weeks old and your supposed to not experience a drop off ? All of these players injuries have been VERY lengthy. Our back-ups would be fine for 2,3, maybe 4 games but majority of the injuries have been season long or the majority of it. I do not think ANY team will operate with the same efficiency given that situation. It's not like we are dripping with talent anyway (not to the fault of the FO imo we have drafted solidly) and when you take those losses they will be felt. What needs to be done is what they have been doing. Bringing in solid FA crops and continue with solid drafting. The only thing we are missing on is getting a pro bowl/super star player OUTSIDE of the first round. It seems that may be the case with Alfred Morris but he may be the first since like.. Antonio Pierce. WE NEED to hit more home runs outside of the first round AND KEEP our first round talent

If we had all of our starters, we wouldn't be performing as badly as we are. Hence, I consider injuries our biggest downfall.

Which isn't to say that the coaching has been good, because it has been awful. The mediocre roster the coaches have to work with expose the quality of the schemes and they are, uh, not good. In addition, Mike Shanahan is losing the team. But we would likely not be calling them out if our players had in advantage in individual matchups, ever.

To be honest with you, I can't even think of enough times that we took a deep shot to decide if this is true or not. I have the repeating image of a fake-handoff, 10 yard pass and subsequent drop stuck in my head. I am starting to really HATE this option crap.

I love the option but we're using it too much. I think the mindset right now is that our WRs suck and can't make plays on the ball deep so we need to spoonfeed them easy intermediate throws that they're less likely to drop and hope RGIII's accuracy produces enough YAC to get big plays.

One thing on quality depth, and why I don't consider it a huge issue, is that there's a bit of a disconnect between "quality" and "depth."

If a player is good enough that he can step in and reliably fill a starter role for 16 weeks, he's not going to be a backup for long anywhere, and will quickly take his talents to a team where he can start, and get starter money.

Depth players are depth because they aren't capable of being NFL starters.

It's tough enough to field 22 starters, let alone have starter-quality backups. Even if you do have starter quality backups, you probably only have a couple of them. When you get injuries, especially long term ones, odds are those starter quality backups aren't at the spots where people got injured, and you're dealing with true backups.

So a lack of quality depth seems kind of weird to talk about, since it seems like no team would really have a bunch of guys who could waltz in and play for 16 games effectively. Maybe guys who can play well for 3-4 game stints, but for 16, I just don't think that's a thing.

I knew that some would be saying this, and that's fine, but I really wanted people to think about what they really believe is the single biggest contributing factor. People who are really coming down on the coaches for instance, predominately Haslett, would be forced to have to rethink their argument if they really believe that injuries are the biggest factor, or lack of depth. Are we asking Haslett to turn water into wine? This is just one area to consider. I am not on the Haslett bandwagon by any means, but I just don't know if there is anybody alive who could be doing better with this group of players.

Raise your hand if at least one time in the St Louis game you would have at least TRIED man coverage on Danny amendola before he set a record for receptions in a half.

Raise your hand if at least one time in the St Louis game you would have at least TRIED man coverage on Danny amendola before he set a record for receptions in a half.

My hand is raised. Both of them!!I I thought I was watching Montana to Rice that day. St. Luois hasnt scored over 20 points since.

"Hass been" is a retard. The game has pasted him. I dont think its Kyles fault for guys who are paid million to catch balls but cant(I did not like the 4th goal play call either). I understand capgate and the NFL wants the skins to loss so much their name will have to be changed, but its is a combination everything. Answer this for me. Why does our coaches head sets go out every fourth game, why are trivial calls that take away TDs happen in each game, how does a owner of a another team get capgate started for two rival teams, how does a whistle get blown and the refs say oh well Touchdown, how does orakpo get held multiple times in one game but no call. You know why Hall wasn't suspended, because he has lost a step and the league knows it. Why would they remove a player for making so many bad plays. He's helping them.

No argument here. None at all. Again, not trying to absolve Haslett or Smith, I just don't think coaching is the biggest reason for our record.

No argument here. None at all. Again, not trying to absolve Haslett or Smith, I just don't think coaching is the biggest reason for our record.

Oh no worries, I can't quibble with anyone's reasoning on injuries or other reasons I am sure they all play a role. Let me also preface this with my opinion that Shanny should get the whole five year contract in my opinion. That being said (and I know many of you willl recognize this list from my other posts):

Amendola never being manned up

The improper technique/alignment on Victor Cruz.

Not going for it on 4th and inches when you had all the momentum in the Cinci game.

The illegal shift that cost us a touchdown in the ? game.

Throwing the ball at our opponent at the end of the St Louis game.

The kicking debacle.

The ridiculous bone head penalties, taking your helmet off and getting tossed, back breaking false starts at home when we are about to win the game coupled with a 20 yard arguing with the official call.

Dropped passes galore.

No passing option on 4th and goal against carolina coupled with coming out utterly flat after pronouncing "homecoming" weekend was a must win.

Its poor talent. Its lack of depth. Its alot of injuries. Its the cap penalties. Its alot of things but coaching is most certainly an enormous problem right now. All of the above stupid things are things a well coached team limits. They are literally the most concrete things that we can point to for our record to date.

One thing on quality depth, and why I don't consider it a huge issue, is that there's a bit of a disconnect between "quality" and "depth."

If a player is good enough that he can step in and reliably fill a starter role for 16 weeks, he's not going to be a backup for long anywhere, and will quickly take his talents to a team where he can start, and get starter money.

Depth players are depth because they aren't capable of being NFL starters.

It's tough enough to field 22 starters, let alone have starter-quality backups. Even if you do have starter quality backups, you probably only have a couple of them. When you get injuries, especially long term ones, odds are those starter quality backups aren't at the spots where people got injured, and you're dealing with true backups.

So a lack of quality depth seems kind of weird to talk about, since it seems like no team would really have a bunch of guys who could waltz in and play for 16 games effectively. Maybe guys who can play well for 3-4 game stints, but for 16, I just don't think that's a thing.

Thank you man

I've been saying this all year.

Your backups are backups for a reason

Thank you man

I've been saying this all year.

Your backups are backups for a reason

Exactly. And the other part of it, apart from a drop in skill at a single position, is that generally, offenses or defenses can work around an injury or two. If a Dlinemen goes down, you alter the scheme a little and move on.

When two main pass rushers go down, and two safeties go down, there is no covering up those weaknesses, unless you've got a JJ Watt in the front who can do it by himself or a Revis in the back who can shut down any WR all game. Of course, there's only a couple guys like that in the league (Watt, Ware, Matthews for pass rush, Revis, Bailey for CB), and our closest guy to those, Orakpo, went down too.

Wasting a pick on Kirk Cousins when we could have added another CB or offensive playmaker.

Kirk Cousins is very likely still going to be that top CB or offensive playmaker for us. Wait and see. Somebody is going to come calling next off-season, and they may not pay a king's ransom, but I bet we get more than we paid for Kirk Cousins before it's all said and done.

Kirk Cousins is very likely still going to be that top CB or offensive playmaker for us. Wait and see. Somebody is going to come calling next off-season, and they may not pay a king's ransom, but I bet we get more than we paid for Kirk Cousins before it's all said and done.

who cares? we wasted 2 years on a players that won't contribute to this team.

because he played well in the pre-season?

He has one game of real experience and looked exactly like a 4th round pick. You're really reaching with this one

Archived