Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Which has contributed the most to the Washington Redskins 3-6 record? Injuries, Lack of Quality Depth, or Coaching?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Combination... if you need to adjust to your players; especially on 'D', then do it.

Unfortunately, for us... we don't.

---------- Post added November-12th-2012 at 11:24 PM ----------

I'm going with coaching mainly because the penalties and the guys being naive and just doing stupid stuff that have cost us games, not to mention just bad playcalling lately by KS (seems teams have figured out our College Ball offense). Even the lack of depth we have goes to coaching because our coach is our leading talent recruiter.

^^^ Agreed.

Actually other than a few bright spots the whole team does suck. skinfan2k's problem is in thinking that we could have gotten more value for that 4th round pick and that we would have been a much better team if we had drafted anyone but a QB there. Sorry but one 4th round pick is not going to fill many holes. solidifying the most important position on the field is as good a use as any for that pick.

I agree with you. And if people would look beyond this year to the next 2 drafts, for the first time in a long time we will NOT be using any of our picks in 2013 and 2014 draft on a QB. It was like an annual right for us to take a flyer on a late round QB in hopes that he would show enough to unseat the garbage starting (Brunell, Campbell, Ramsey). From 2002 for 10 years until 2011 draft, the Redskins selected a QB 7 out of 10 times in those drafts. Shanny waited until he got his "guy" in his third draft and then solidified the position with Cousins.

Cousins wasn't picked to play, he was picked to solidify the position, like you said. But stupid people are stupid. I mean, yeah, a 4th round cornerback would "totally" have us at 7-2 right now. You know he'd have Hall of Fame written all over him.

Cousins wasn't picked to play, he was picked to solidify the position, like you said. But stupid people are stupid. I mean, yeah, a 4th round cornerback would "totally" have us at 7-2 right now. You know he'd have Hall of Fame written all over him.

And if anything, a CB wouldn't help as much as a safety right now. Problem is, no one picked in the 4th or later would really help us. The last solid safety was probably Brandon Taylor in the 3rd. If someone wants to argue we should have taken Taylor over LeRibeus, I suppose there's some arguments to be made there, but it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference.

I stand by what I was saying in the offseason that we should draft by impact positions. We should look for best player available, but with the realization that certain positions are more valuable than others. If we can get a premier pass rusher, then I think we still have to take them no matter what we already have. Same goes with a top tier offensive tackle. Ideally he could start at RT, but even if we can get somebody that can play G/T then I say go for it as those are important positions. After that, its pretty much up in the air to me because we have holes everywhere except maybe RB and QB.

Talent, depth and coaching fall directly under any HC/GM control.

sure they do, but if some of you want to have tunnel vision and refuse to see anything but Shanahan needs to be fired than I don't know what else to say. To look at the Redskins situation over the last 2.5 years and try to say that he has had a fair chance, and enough has gone his way where he should have produced a playoff team by now is disingenuous.

Mike seems like he is trending backwards. How many steps back is he allowed in his 3rd year, because Rak tore a pect, or Garcon got hurt?

He should have depth built up at many positions now, including running back. Where it's more like a turnstile. Royster has been our only depth all year, and doesn't even get but 2 touches a game. Yet Mike bases his entire game off of running the ball. He pushed all in on Morris but he needs breathers and cannot be our only back.

Our OL struggles in basics - pass protection. Is this the best any of his OL will ever be, is this his design for an OL? These aren't a bunch of rookies thrown in the fold either. Our depth is suspect, not a one has pushed a starter out. Polumbus is pushed by a semi retiree only. Its not Vinny's fault, eventually. While our cap penalty is a factor I doubt the key to a super bowl is spending to the max otherwise Dan would have a ring by now.

When your GM is your coach, pretty much all that happens is on Mike.

Mike seems like he is trending backwards. How many steps back is he allowed in his 3rd year, because Rak tore a pect, or Garcon got hurt?

And Carriker tore a quad tendon.

And Davis tore his Achilles.

And Helu had lower leg injury and turf toe.

And Minnifield needed microfracture surgery.

And Bernstine tore a bunch of ligaments.

And Neild tore his left ACL.

And Meriweather tore his MCL.

And Brown is...well, Brown, but the cap hit stopped us from replacing that.

And Jackson got suspended.

And I don't know what Hightower's injury was but he's not here and he actually knows how to block as an RB.

Not saying some of the blame doesn't fall on Mike, but the sheer number of injuries to starters and contributors is just insane. I mean, we're talking:

1 WR, 1 OLB, 1 DE, 1 NT, 1 RT, 3 Ss (that's the big one), 1 CB, 2 RBs, and 1 TE.

We certainly had our share of injuries, maybe a record amount of games lost. It seems most injuries are on defense. Defense is not how Mike wins games though. The Mike Shanahan key to victory core remains intact. OL, QB, RB. Running the ball is his signature.

Its when Morris is out, that D's just T off on RG3. I would like to think there must be a RB out there that can help us. I thought that was near the top of Shanahan's resume, we are going to be able to run the ball, with backs no one knew could run. He hit a homer on Morris but thinking he can carry the load alone is killing this team. I am surprised he didnt replace THT or Helu much sooner, especially since Royster had injuries himself, and only looked good in one half in preseason, and got injured doing it IIRC. I don't think teams even game plan for Royster at all. I suspect he is the least productive backup RB in the entire league, and probably 3rd down back as well.

A dominant offense can overcome a shoddy defense. If we can run, we can pass, if we can pass, we can win shootouts. It affords the D the chance to be aggressive and it not cost us the game. Even the Madieu gaffe vs NY, we had a chance to win, right?

When cant we run? When Morris is out of the game. Its also when we can't pass. If he can somehow find a backup for him, it will go a LONG way to curing all those injury woes. I think we should give more carries to Young.

From the Washingotn Post:

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said he and his teammates didn’t really have an answer for the fourth-year pro out of Texas Tech. Washington spent much of the game in zone coverage, but Amendola found openings and used his speed and elusiveness to generate yards after the catch. The Redskins also used some man coverage on Amendola, and he managed to get open despite that coverage as well.

I don't think they tried man until the second half and he already had like 16 receptions by then. It may have happened but I didn't see alot of man. I certainly didn't see enough of it.

ALSO: See my other post about all of the other mistakes they have made this season. Coaching is a big issue right now. These guys don't seem to know or care about the game situation they are in. Misaligning with 1:37 on Victor Cruz. Taking your helment off to jaw at an official. Throwing the ball at the opponent's DB while going into to try and take the lead in St Louis.

False starts on the opponents 19 yard line after driving from inside your own 10 to go in for the game winner at home against Cinci only to follow it up with a 20 yard unsportsman like from your o coordinator. I could go on forever here. Amendola was handled horribly. But its only the tip of the iceberg.

I bump this thread just to reemphasize the point of how important Meriweather obviously was to this defense. Most to their credit have acknowledged the impact he had in the defensive secondary yesterday...in truth his presence made the entire Defense play better, but this does bring us to what would the season have been like if we had all our guys on the field together from the outset? This team is likely winning the division right now, instead of trying to claw back into it.

I think yesterday is just further evidence, that Shanahan needs more time to build this roster. He clearly knows what he is doing. Regardless of what happens Thursday, it's clear to me at least overall this organization is still on the right track for the long haul.

I said at the beginning of the year and now as we haven't had Meriweather or Jackson, that we are set at Safety next year if these two re-sign. No need to draft a safety with the 2nd rounder. Re-sign these 2, cut Madoo-doo, have Meri, Jackson, Gomes and Bernstein at Safety. Draft the best NT with the 2nd rounder and move Cofield to DE.

I bump this thread just to reemphasize the point of how important Meriweather obviously was to this defense. Most to their credit have acknowledged the impact he had in the defensive secondary yesterday...in truth his presence made the entire Defense play better, but this does bring us to what would the season have been like if we had all our guys on the field together from the outset? This team is likely winning the division right now, instead of trying to claw back into it.

I think yesterday is just further evidence, that Shanahan needs more time to build this roster. He clearly knows what he is doing. Regardless of what happens Thursday, it's clear to me at least overall this organization is still on the right track for the long haul.

Too bad hes gone all year now:

http://twitter.com/john_keim/status/270618461485535234

I've said before, the 18 Million is killing us on depth at most positions. It makes injuries to starters hurt that much more.

Archived