Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DallasCowboys.com: LB Sean Lee Could Need Season-Ending Surgery On Right Toe

Big Blue Joe

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys’ biggest fears could be a reality as the team’s leading tackler and one of the more productive players might be headed to injured reserve.

Sean Lee could need season-ending toe surgery after MRI results showed torn ligaments. If anything, Lee will at least miss two games – Sunday’s showdown with the Giants and the following Sunday night against undefeated Atlanta.

More at the link

That would be a huge loss for the Cowboys. They've been hit pretty hard the last couple of weeks with Phil Costa, Demarco Murray, Felix Jones all missing time.

As a Penn State fan, I hate reading this. As a Skins fan, it makes Dallas easier to beat. Interesting, he's being replaced by Dan Connor, another of the last great JoePa linebackers, though his work ethic and maturity level weren't nearly on the level of Sean Lee, and his NFL career to date has reflected that. His physical ability however, might be equal or better, so hopefully his study habits/maturity, etc. are still non-existant.

As a Penn State fan, I hate reading this. As a Skins fan, it makes Dallas easier to beat. Interesting, he's being replaced by Dan Connor, another of the last great JoePa linebackers, though his work ethic and maturity level weren't nearly on the level of Sean Lee, and his NFL career to date has reflected that. His physical ability however, might be equal or better, so hopefully his study habits/maturity, etc. are still non-existant.

Really? I'm not a Penn State fan so I wouldn't know, but Connor didn't strike me to be the physical specimen/instinctive player that Lee appears to be.

Great news! The leader of our defense is gone for the year. Our #3 ranked defense will likely finish 23rd now haha. I can't wait to see Eli to Bennett over the middle all day.

They haven't been hit as hard as we have yet...

How so?

We are missing ...

Starting RB. His backup RB goes out twice a game.

Starting WR is slowed by a groin. #2 WR has nagging hamstrings issues.

Starting TE couldn't do anything for 3 weeks.

Starting C out 4-6 weeks. Backup C hasn't practiced all year.

Starting NT missed 6 weeks.

Starting RE missed several weeks.

Backup RE out several weeks.

Starting OLB missed a couple games.

Starting SS out of the season.

4th round pick cannot stay healthy.

Starting P just placed on IR.

Then to top it out, we lose the heart and soul of our defense.

The Skins lost Orakpo. They still have Kerrigan (beast) and Fletcher. Riley and Jackson have played well.

Lee was the defensive play caller and had 77 tackles in 7 games. You can get production from other guys. But this is like losing Fletcher for you guys. You don't replace a leader.

Really? I'm not a Penn State fan so I wouldn't know, but Connor didn't strike me to be the physical specimen/instinctive player that Lee appears to be.

Dan Connor was a five-star recruit out of high school, Lee was a three-star. Connor is the career tackles leader in Penn State history, and considering the linebacker lineage at the school, that's saying something. He was a two time all American, and the winner of the Bednarik Award in 2007 as the best defensive player in the nation. Partially due to injuries, Lee didn't earn as many accolades. Connor always seemed bigger physically than Sean Lee, though they're listed as being the same height with only a four pound weight difference. According to the Combine stats I looked up, he was slightly faster in the 40. I would say that Lee has the advantage of being better in coverage, having better hands (as shown by his propensity for interceptions relative to his position), better instincts, and far better leadership...there's a reason Bruce Carter is taking over the defensive calls.

Connor is a downgrade, just not from a physical perspective. His NFL career has stalled for two reasons, injuries, and the fact that he was drafted by the Carolina Panthers, who already had Jon Beason. I know he got a chance at OLB but had trouble adjusting to a new position. We'll see how he does here. There will be a definite dropoff in the Cowboys defense; how much of one remains to be seen.

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

That sucks for the Cowboys. So who goes in the middle for them?

Bruce Carter remains and takes over the defensive calls. Dan Connor (college teammate of Lee) takes over Lee's position. See above for comparison.

I would say that Lee has the advantage of being better in coverage, having better hands (as shown by his propensity for interceptions relative to his position), better instincts, and far better leadership...there's a reason Bruce Carter is taking over the defensive calls.

Connor is a downgrade, just not from a physical perspective. His NFL career has stalled for two reasons, injuries, and the fact that he was drafted by the Carolina Panthers, who already had Jon Beason. I know he got a chance at OLB but had trouble adjusting to a new position. We'll see how he does here. There will be a definite dropoff in the Cowboys defense; how much of one remains to be seen.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the insight, Forehead ! :cheers:

How so?

We are missing ...

(list)

The Skins lost Orakpo. They still have Kerrigan (beast) and Fletcher. Riley and Jackson have played well.

We've lost more than Rak. We've lost both our starting safeties (Tanard Jackson and Brandon Meriweather), a starting DE (Carriker), our #1 WR (Garcon), our starting TE, and a good 3rd down back (Helu).

We've lost more than Rak. We've lost both our starting safeties (Tanard Jackson and Brandon Meriweather), a starting DE (Carriker), our #1 WR (Garcon), our starting TE, and a good 3rd down back (Helu).

And you forgot the 18 million in cap room which equals at least 3 more starters :ols:

Starting RT (Brown), Fletcher has been limited with his hammy, and Cedric Griffin has been hurt.

Both teams have been pretty badly hit by the injury bug.

Makes you realize that we could have lost Garcon for the entire year to the same kind of injury (toe / ligament), still remains to be seen if Garcon makes it back though.

If I took a guess I'd say he's off the shelf and either won't be in shape enough, or won't even be cleared to play, until Thanksgiving.

Archived